What NFC Team scares you the most...

What team in the NFC possesses a threat to the Packers or makes you the most nervous about playing?

• Lions

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • 49ers

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Eagles

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners are not a one-dimensional offense however. They aren't explosive but the running and passing game are solid. Packer defense has got a long way to go before this team is playoff ready, and Frank Gore would not be easy for us to stop at all. They have one of the better defenses too. It would be a tough game.

I still think we'd walk over them, regardless of their defense.

The only thing they have on offense is their running game, they have the 2nd worst passing game in the league.
This is a passing league these days, therefore you need a decent QB if you want to play against teams with elite QB's.

Alex Smith is not an elite team, and like I said, take away the running game and make Alex Smith through his 170 yards a game, that will not be enough to beat the packers, regardless of your efficiency or whatever.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Niners are not a one-dimensional offense however. They aren't explosive but the running and passing game are solid. Packer defense has got a long way to go before this team is playoff ready, and Frank Gore would not be easy for us to stop at all. They have one of the better defenses too. It would be a tough game.
Yup. Right now the offensive play calling has been about 50/50 on the run vs pass. Typical for a WCO. Most of the pass plays are less than 20 yds however, which is why you don't see huge numbers in the YPG stat. The Niners tend to use a lot of 2 or even 3 TE sets which is confusing to opposing D's. They never know what's going to happen. Last week they even had a couple O-lineman line up as FB and receive passes for a first down each. Lots of unique wrinkles in that offensive play calling!

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think we'd walk over them, regardless of their defense.

You could be right. Our secondary has been a weakness. But it is getting better. Aaron could torch them all day long IF the right situation exists. Even though we're just fans and can believe anything we want without it effecting the game, the PLAYERS would be wise not to under estimate what so far has been one of the best, if not the best defense in the league.
The only thing they have on offense is their running game, they have the 2nd worst passing game in the league.
This is a passing league these days, therefore you need a decent QB if you want to play against teams with elite QB's.

No. We have more than just a running game. Sorry.
Just because the league is currently dominated by passing offenses doesn't mean you need to pass to win. The game is FOOTBALL. And football is a TEAM game. It's not just about the QB and his receivers. Points can be scored a variety of ways. I've posted this before on this thread but I feel strongly about it this year. Rather than rant on, I'll just suggest that you read my posts in this thread if my opinion means anything to you. If not, that's cool. I just don't want to bore the rest of you.
Alex Smith is not an elite team, and like I said, take away the running game and make Alex Smith through his 170 yards a game, that will not be enough to beat the packers, regardless of your efficiency or whatever.

Well Alex is not an elite player, that's for sure. And he probably never will be. The Niners haven't won a SB since '94 and come back the next year to dominate the league, so they're not an elite team either. Right now they are merely a team that has been winning for the first half of this season after a decade of stinking up the NFL. And that is all.

The Niners and their seemingly average to below average offense have been winning games by scoring when it counts and preventing other teams from scoring thru great defense. You can't win if you can't score. In a Niner/Packer playoff game, you're not gonna see a shoot-out. Neither team is likely to score more than... in the high 20's at best. I'd expect a lot of field goals and few if any turnovers.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. We have more than just a running game. Sorry.
Just because the league is currently dominated by passing offenses doesn't mean you need to pass to win. The game is FOOTBALL. And football is a TEAM game. It's not just about the QB and his receivers. Points can be scored a variety of ways. I've posted this before on this thread but I feel strongly about it this year. Rather than rant on, I'll just suggest that you read my posts in this thread if my opinion means anything to you. If not, that's cool. I just don't want to bore the rest of you.

Your right, its not just about the QB and the recievers, but its not just about how good your running game and defense is.

The term ''Defense wins championships'' is getting stale these days, that doesnt mean that its not true but its not entirely true, I mean just look at say the past 10 superbowl winners and look at the QB's on that list.

2010 - Aaron Rodgers
2009 - Drew Brees
2008 - Ben Rothlisberger
2007 - Eli Manning
2006 - Peyton Manning
2005 - Ben Rothlisberger
2004 - Tom Brady
2003 - Tom Brady
2002 - Brad Johnson
2001 - Tom Brady

Even as of last year, we were shown that you dont even need a decent running game to win the Superbowl, thats how pass heavy the NFL has become these days.

To win the superbowl you need an Elite QB, there's no other way around it, that's just how things are in the NFL today.

Its the sole reason the Jets haven't made the SB and its the reason the Ravens haven't either.
Who stopped both their Superbowl hopes this year? That's right it was Big Ben..

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
People, myself included have been comparing Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers. It's a comparison that may be unfair to Smith. I think Smith has taken longer to develop than Rodgers, obviously. Rodgers has developed at an accelerated rate, meanwhile, Smith has spent his first few years struggling. Maybe now he is starting to develop and come into his own. Maybe he feels he has something to prove with all the comparisons to Rodgers and he's using it as motivation. All I can say is I've seen a lot of positive growth in Smith and the 49'ers this year. I don't think their success is a fluke, I think they are a growing team and have been experiencing growing pains. They will only grow stronger. This is a team everyone should be watching if they are not already. I'd put them strong in the playoffs for sure, not SB this year, but in a matter of a year, two at the most, I don't think anyone will be laughing at the 49'ers.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Let's cut to the chase and get to the point here.

No team should scare you guys, none. The Packers will have tough games with some teams but their chances of winning are higher then losing.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to say the eagles. They still worry me. Im not sure what to think of the 49ers yet. Dont we play the 9ers?

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenbayPhil, I'm glad we can chat about this topic without getting carried away. We disagree. That's cool by me. Actually, if you had asked me this question last year, I would have agreed with you. But after seeing what Harbaugh has done with this year's Niners, my opinion about elite QB's has totally changed.

I would point out that the 2000 Ravens and the '85 Bears won the SB without elite QBs but with dominating defenses.
That said, they both also quickly faded away, never to return as an elite team... as a dynasty.

--edit--
As I sit here I'm watching #1 LSU vs #2 Alabama... the two best teams in NCAA football. And neither team has an NFL caliber QB but both teams have HUGE defenses.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
GreenbayPhil, I'm glad we can chat about this topic without getting carried away. We disagree. That's cool by me. Actually, if you had asked me this question last year, I would have agreed with you. But after seeing what Harbaugh has done with this year's Niners, my opinion about elite QB's has totally changed.

I would point out that the 2000 Ravens and the '85 Bears won the SB without elite QBs but with dominating defenses.
That said, they both also quickly faded away, never to return as an elite team... as a dynasty.

--edit--
As I sit here I'm watching #1 LSU vs #2 Alabama... the two best teams in NCAA football. And neither team has an NFL caliber QB but both teams have HUGE defenses.
Well I guess you hit the proverbial nail on the head with this post T9F. You're pointing to teams from 2000 and 1985 as proof you don't need an elite QB? I'm going to throw a flag for blatant homerism. It's okay, I get those flags all the time but you have to admit the league has changed alot since 2000. The league is protecting QBs to the extent that we see empty backfields.
While I agree the 9ers are a good football team and I'm delighted to see them among the winning again they are not in the same class as the Packers you know? I AM looking forward to dashing the dreams of 49er fans worldwide like they did to us in the early 90's.
Your perception of Harbaugh is on par with mine, who doesn't like the guy? But coaching can only take you so far, as can defense. You had posted that you think the 9ers can hold the Packers to under 30 yet the Packers scored 34 on you last year with far less offensive talent available. And that was with Mike Singletary, a defense minded coach.
And what pray tell does college football have to do with the pros except to provide a talent pool for the pros to pick from? Besides, neither 'Bama nor LSU has an NFL caliber QB either do they? Wonder how that would play out if one did?
I appreciate your comments and opinion and your position as a fan of course. But if you do a quiet study you'll find you have to recognize the 9ers are a good football team but they are not on par with the Packers, nor are they the 2nd best in the nfl despite the power rankings. The Saints, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers are all better teams than the 9ers and before the season is over you will see.
Last..... I'm excited for the 9ers and happy to see 9er fans here. It means things have turned around in SanFran. It's been a somewhat sad period to watch what had become of a once proud and dominant franchise. Welcome back to the winning side of the NFL!

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

I don't know if I'd say that, cause McCarron is in his first year as a starter, and so far he's been impressive and has room to improve on his mistakes, but Jefferson, yeah he is going to be a huge bust cause he's like Tebow trying to run around everywhere.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm getting the impression the Niners are in a comfy division.

Just look at it.

Cardinals wasted their season on an unproven, and massively overrated quarterback that turned out to suck, The Rams go hire Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator and so far I am not impressed. Seattle, is a rotting pit of doom and god awful decision making so far.

But you know what I mean when the standings are this

49ers 6-1
Seahawks 2-5
Rams 1-6
Cardinals 1-6

I'm not saying SF is a bad team, but they surely got it made with zero competition in their division, just look at that and then compare it to something like this

NFC South

Saints 5-3
Buccaneers 4-3
Falcons 4-3
Panthers 2-6

or this

AFC North

Steelers 6-2
Ravens 5-2
Bengals 5-2
Browns 3-4

So far in the NFC West, all the teams are basically out of it with 6 loses, Seattle will be out of it soon enough, but in the NFC South and AFC North, you have the division trophy up in the air, you don't know what's going to happen in these divisions but in the NFC West, I already see it ending up like this.

49ers 12-4
Rams 6-10
Seahakws 4-12
Cardinals 2-14

Back in the 80's, people used to argue the 49ers had no competition playing in a weak division, and I mean before L.A. and New Orleans became physical, but I can't say that, cause even when the Saints were horrible in the 1990's, they would give the 49ers a run for their money in a tough game. Thought these teams do suck in the NFC West, it's still divisional. No competition for the division title, but that don't mean one could still beat them.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score

--edit--

Yeh man totally,

49ers are a good team to watch this year, infact my friend who happens to be a huge Steeler fan also has his soft spot for the recent 49ers, especially when Singletary took over, he would always say ''Maybe this is their season'' and finally this year he was right xD

I just think if you could give the Niners someone like a Matthew Stafford or a Matt Schaub then they are a Superbowl waiting to happen, all the peices are in place, you just need a decent QB

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Your right, its not just about the QB and the recievers, but its not just about how good your running game and defense is.

The term ''Defense wins championships'' is getting stale these days, that doesnt mean that its not true but its not entirely true, I mean just look at say the past 10 superbowl winners and look at the QB's on that list.

2010 - Aaron Rodgers
2009 - Drew Brees
2008 - Ben Rothlisberger
2007 - Eli Manning
2006 - Peyton Manning
2005 - Ben Rothlisberger
2004 - Tom Brady
2003 - Tom Brady
2002 - Brad Johnson
2001 - Tom Brady

Even as of last year, we were shown that you dont even need a decent running game to win the Superbowl, thats how pass heavy the NFL has become these days.

To win the superbowl you need an Elite QB, there's no other way around it, that's just how things are in the NFL today.

Its the sole reason the Jets haven't made the SB and its the reason the Ravens haven't either.
Who stopped both their Superbowl hopes this year? That's right it was Big Ben..

In fact the team known for it's strong defense and tough running game lost the Super Bowl last year.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've been a closet fan of the 9'ers since the days of John Brodie and Gene Washington in the early 70's. I'm glad to see them become competitive again. Do they alarm me as a Packers fan? No...not really but I do recognize that a 6-1 record in the NFL is a 6-1 record. All of these guys get paid to play and with that have the same drive to win if not cumulatively, then individually.

Every NFC team scares me based on the statement above. Every NFL team scares me for that matter because I have an all too vivid memory of SB32.

In any event, good to see a 9'er fan coming out of the woodwork. They've been kind of hard to find the last few years.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fact the team known for it's strong defense and tough running game lost the Super Bowl last year.

Exactly, the team that won had the QB that threw for over 300 yards and had 3 TDs and 0 Ints.
Infact you could argue that Aaron won that game for us with some of those throws, especially on 3rd down situations.

Not taking anything away from the defense though, if Matthews doesnt force that fumble who knows what the outcome could have been..

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lotsa posts since I went to bed. COOL! And good morning! :D
I expect everyone is ready to chow down some brats, drink some beer and watch our teams get a couple W's?

OK, ok... Maybe I've got a little homerism goin' on. But 6-1 is nothing to sniff at, especially when it was against the toughest schedule in the NFL during that period. Now the Niners come to the easier half of their schedule with 5 games played within the NFC Worst. I'm penciling in 5 W's there. Then there's the 'Skins, today, where I'm predicting another W. Finally there's the tough games remaining, Steelers, Ravens and Giants. IF the Niners are really all that and a bag of chips, they're gonna win one or two of those games... maybe even all three. So the worst I see them going is 13-3. Good enough for a 1st round bye in the post season.

Now I've stated on another thread that I thought the Packers would go undefeated and repeat as champs. So far that hasn't changed. Right now, I expect my Niners to get the NFCCG and that's it. And I'd call it a GREAT season and be very happy and hopeful for the future. But just for the sake of Niner homers everywhere, (LOL) how would I feel if the Niners finish 15-1 and the Pack actually drops a game or two near the end??? I dunno. But that's why we play the game isn't it?

But if you do a quiet study you'll find you have to recognize the 9ers are a good football team but they are not on par with the Packers, nor are they the 2nd best in the nfl despite the power rankings. The Saints, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers are all better teams than the 9ers and before the season is over you will see.
The Packers won a SB last year and are currently undefeated. No arguement there. They're an elite team. The 49ers aren't there yet.
Being unemployed, I have lots and lots of quiet study time to watch football, pour over stats, talk football with other fans, and contemplate the NFL. And I'd say the Niners are most certainly deserving of the #2 ranking. The Saints, Falcons, Giants and Pats are far inferior compared to this year's Niners. They have offense but no defense. The Ravens have a good D but not a better O. The Steelers are the only team that concerns me. They have a good O and D. I suppose you could make an arguement for them being #2. On some rankings they are. But they have a worse W-L record.

I just think if you could give the Niners someone like a Matthew Stafford or a Matt Schaub then they are a Superbowl waiting to happen, all the peices are in place, you just need a decent QB

Well it turns out that THIS year we do have a decent QB just not an elite QB. His stats so far are; 115 completions for 182 pass attempts for a total of 1267 yards and a 63.2 completion rate, he has 9 TDs with 2 INTs and 4 funbles.
But I would agree whole heartedly that if the Niners had an elite QB, that they would be much better. An elite receiving corp would help too.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Philly has righted itself so they would be the team right now I'm afraid of. They seem to be getting hot.

to be fair...they just beat the cowboys, the most over-rated nfc team. eagles still have a losing record. i think its way too early to be scared of them.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to be fair...they just beat the cowboys, the most over-rated nfc team. eagles still have a losing record. i think its way too early to be scared of them.
Hey 32 % agree with me! ;) They will beat the Bears Monday night to level their record.

As a footnote been watching the Skins and 49'ers. Not all that impressed with SF so far. Their defense is ok but then the Skins offense is awful.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the Niner offense hasn't been great in the first half. Lot's of punting happening. ST and D has been pretty good tho. We'll see how the second half goes.

-edit-

Well I'm glad to have the win. 7-1 is AWESOME!! But it sure wasn't pretty.

Frank Gore is the first RB in Niner history to have 5 straight games rushing for over 100 yds.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

IMO w/o our defense we dont win the SB last year..They had to step it up in more then a few games to secure the wins...Jennings mentions it in a sound fx during the SB or the Bears game..

But you still need a good offense..I am not trying to take away what Rodgers did, but our defense was the base of our team last year

This year it is flipped...Our offense is the base and the defense has slipped some

Members online

Latest posts