What made you a Packers fan?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Raises hand....I fully am aware of hard times being a Cubs fan :)
Yeah... ok but you had Wrigley which my dyed-in-the-wool Brewers fan son, texting me from Wrigley, at an opener with Crew said, "This is where baseball is supposed to be played."

The only baseball we got up here pre-Crew, was Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Ferguson Jenkins, Billy Williams, Leo Duroucher and Joe Pepitone on Sunday afternoon - always from Wrigley it seemed. Tell ya, it's fully possible to love and hate the Cubs at the same time...and also agree that the Cards suck wet farts.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah... ok but you had Wrigley which my dyed-in-the-wool Brewers fan son, texting me from Wrigley, at an opener with Crew said, "This is where baseball is supposed to be played."

The only baseball we got up here pre-Crew, was Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Ferguson Jenkins, Billy Williams, Leo Duroucher and Joe Pepitone on Sunday afternoon - always from Wrigley it seemed. Tell ya, it's fully possible to love and hate the Cubs at the same time...and also agree that the Cards suck wet farts.
Seem like some of you guys back then would have been Twin fans with Tony olivea, Killbrew ceasar tovar and Rob Carew. BUt then again the obvious is the hatred of anything in Minnestoa due to the Vikings....yo know...im good with that. I was Angel fan back then.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seem like some of you guys back then would have been Twin fans with Tony olivea, Killbrew ceasar tovar and Rob Carew. BUt then again the obvious is the hatred of anything in Minnestoa due to the Vikings....yo know...im good with that. I was Angel fan back then.
I'm not a Cub fan myself, but WGN was a powerful factor. You could get Cub games in a lot of places on an almost daily basis. Can't say that about the Twins.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Atlanta Braves fan here, until Aaron was traded back to Milwaukee. I could listen to Braves night games if the weather was good on WBS in Atlanta, or a clear channel station in Nashville. When they played the Reds, I'd listen to WLW in Cincinnati which came in better than the Braves stations. Of course, when they played the Cubs it was WGN. Loved it when Aaron would go off on the Cubs. Boudreaux and Lloyd were very respectful of Aaron.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1966 i was 8 years old living in SoCal. I cut out black and white photos for LA Times of the Rams all the time. My Dad was super big wig with Aerojet Corp...built Apollo Lunar Module rocket engines..He would always get free tickets from work to Rams Dodgers and Lakers. 1966 he took me to see Rams Vs Packers. At the time the Rams uniforms all white with little blue trim. Ive never seen a football uniform in color up to that time...just in newspaper. So the Packer ran onto the field in their home uniforms...I could not believe how great they were, yellow helmets with the G and dark green jersy all in color! I was hook for life. I also went to super bowl 1 at LA Coliseum in Jan 67 and that cemeted everything for me. What i remember most was the jet pack guy flying around and the paper visor hats everyone was wearing. The stands seemed only half full...Super Bowl was a new t

1966 i was 8 years old living in SoCal. I cut out black and white photos for LA Times of the Rams all the time. My Dad was super big wig with Aerojet Corp...built Apollo Lunar Module rocket engines..He would always get free tickets from work to Rams Dodgers and Lakers. 1966 he took me to see Rams Vs Packers. At the time the Rams uniforms all white with little blue trim. Ive never seen a football uniform in color up to that time...just in newspaper. So the Packer ran onto the field in their home uniforms...I could not believe how great they were, yellow helmets with the G and dark green jersy all in color! I was hook for life. I also went to super bowl 1 at LA Coliseum in Jan 67 and that cemeted everything for me. What i remember most was the jet pack guy flying around and the paper visor hats everyone was wearing. The stands seemed only half full...Super Bowl was a new thing.
Thanks for sharing. That 1966 regular season finale was memorable. The Rams were an excellent team almost but not quite at the Packers level yet. It was George Allen vs. Lombardi! The Pack had clinched the week before. They rested Starr who had sore ribs. Zeke Bratkowski had a good day. He came in relief the previous week to knock out Baltimore. Bob Jeter had an early pick 6 against Roman Gabriel. The Rams score 2 late TDs to make it look closer at 27-23. This was the last game in which Paul Hornung saw the field in the NFL. He sat out the playoffs. The game was played on a Saturday afternoon and had a national audience.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. That 1966 regular season finale was memorable. The Rams were an excellent team almost but not quite at the Packers level yet. It was George Allen vs. Lombardi! The Pack had clinched the week before. They rested Starr who had sore ribs. Zeke Bratkowski had a good day. He came in relief the previous week to knock out Baltimore. Bob Jeter had an early pick 6 against Roman Gabriel. The Rams score 2 late TDs to make it look closer at 27-23. This was the last game in which Paul Hornung saw the field in the NFL. He sat out the playoffs. The game was played on a Saturday afternoon and had a national audience.
Boy, did you Google that!....or what a memory. thats what i love about sports...thinking back as a kid and your heros...great stuff. Roman Gabriel... he just couldnt get over the hump...he fumbled alot too. thanks for sharing all that.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I distinctly remember watching that game on TV in Wisconsin. I was about 9, and it was the week before the Ice Bowl, to which we planned to go (although we didn't know yet it was going to be an ice bowl). I remember that Jeter interception; I was a little worried because LA scored an early field goal, and held our offense and got the ball back, and Gabriel looked good early. I was worried about Starr being out but we pretty much never looked back after that pick six.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm getting Ram games mixed up. I think Roman Gabriel broke a consecutive completions record with little out patterns and short passes. Then he tried an out to Jeters side and Jeter broke on it and ran it back easily.
I also remember a game when Donny Anderson was punting and I think George Allen sent all 11. Blocked the punt and then a TD pass to Bernie Casey for the win.
I also remember the Rams beating The Pack in a regular season game and then two weeks later, in the playoffs, The Pack beat the Rams easily. Was that the Ice Bowl year?
I think the blocked punt game was when Fred Dryer had two safetys against The Pack in one game. Sorry for probably mixing up games. Just memories.
Another two memories was 1. Of travellin (I used to call him) Travis Williams running a kickoff back and 2. I guess Red Phillips must have been jostling Adderly all game because (and I was right near the sideline when it happened), Adderly took aim and hit Phillips right through the face guard (only one in those days) and knocked Phillips out cold. Adderly got tossed and Phillips was in no condition to play more. Probably in the 4th quarter anyway.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1966 i was 8 years old living in SoCal. I cut out black and white photos for LA Times of the Rams all the time. My Dad was super big wig with Aerojet Corp...built Apollo Lunar Module rocket engines..He would always get free tickets from work to Rams Dodgers and Lakers. 1966 he took me to see Rams Vs Packers. At the time the Rams uniforms all white with little blue trim. Ive never seen a football uniform in color up to that time...just in newspaper. So the Packer ran onto the field in their home uniforms...I could not believe how great they were, yellow helmets with the G and dark green jersy all in color! I was hook for life. I also went to super bowl 1 at LA Coliseum in Jan 67 and that cemeted everything for me. What i remember most was the jet pack guy flying around and the paper visor hats everyone was wearing. The stands seemed only half full...Super Bowl was a new thing.
Wow what an experience. And yeah, all the games were televised in B/W. I remember getting our first color TV. That thing was heavy but the games looked so different. Well, everything did.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I distinctly remember watching that game on TV in Wisconsin. I was about 9, and it was the week before the Ice Bowl, to which we planned to go (although we didn't know yet it was going to be an ice bowl). I remember that Jeter interception; I was a little worried because LA scored an early field goal, and held our offense and got the ball back, and Gabriel looked good early. I was worried about Starr being out but we pretty much never looked back after that pick six.
Geez I have no memory of that game or the Packers resting Starr. I certainly remember the Ice Bowl. And I was 12 or 13. Thanks!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I just turned double nickels. My first real memories of the Packers are with Lynn ****ey, Lofton, etc. I remember the excitement that came when we got JJ to come to GB.

I'm your senior by 11 years...I also remember JJ, along with Lofton, Epps and Coffman...****ey had him some weapons.

Too bad our defense wasn't better. I remember a lot of 8-8 seasons.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm your senior by 11 years...I also remember JJ, along with Lofton, Epps and Coffman...****ey had him some weapons.

Too bad our defense wasn't better. I remember a lot of 8-8 seasons.
Yeah I remember ****ey putting up a lotta points, but the team played .500 ball overall. I seem to recall they made the playoffs once with ****ey, just not sure. Those years, the 70s and 80s, were very hard to watch.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy, did you Google that!....or what a memory. thats what i love about sports...thinking back as a kid and your heros...great stuff. Roman Gabriel... he just couldnt get over the hump...he fumbled alot too. thanks for sharing all that.
No. I watched the game and at that time and at that age the Green Bay Packers were everything to me in life. So every day was about them. Once that era ended I followed them but it just was not the same. Peter Pan never grew up. The rest of us did.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm getting Ram games mixed up. I think Roman Gabriel broke a consecutive completions record with little out patterns and short passes. Then he tried an out to Jeters side and Jeter broke on it and ran it back easily.
I also remember a game when Donny Anderson was punting and I think George Allen sent all 11. Blocked the punt and then a TD pass to Bernie Casey for the win.
I also remember the Rams beating The Pack in a regular season game and then two weeks later, in the playoffs, The Pack beat the Rams easily. Was that the Ice Bowl year?
I think the blocked punt game was when Fred Dryer had two safetys against The Pack in one game. Sorry for probably mixing up games. Just memories.
Another two memories was 1. Of travellin (I used to call him) Travis Williams running a kickoff back and 2. I guess Red Phillips must have been jostling Adderly all game because (and I was right near the sideline when it happened), Adderly took aim and hit Phillips right through the face guard (only one in those days) and knocked Phillips out cold. Adderly got tossed and Phillips was in no condition to play more. Probably in the 4th quarter anyway.
The blocked punt game and Travis was in 1967. The Jeter pick was in 1966. Going into both games the Packers had already clinched and on paper had nothing to gain except momentum. Lombardi rested some players but not many. The roster was less then than today. And Lombardi did not tank games. Both games were on a Saturday. Ray Scott called the play by play. In 1966 the Rams were battling Unitas and the Colts for 2nd place. In 1967 the Rams had to beat us or their season was over. The following week the Rams upset the undefeated Colts and finished tied with the exact same record as the Colts at 11-1-2. However, the Rams won the division because they had the tiebreaker nod. They were 1-0-1 in head to head. The Colts were 0-1-1. There was no OT back then except in the postseason.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow what an experience. And yeah, all the games were televised in B/W. I remember getting our first color TV. That thing was heavy but the games looked so different. Well, everything did.
That rocket man was a real thrill for the time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LA Rams had some outstanding defenses in the 60s. But they lacked discipline and strength at the QB position. When George Allen left the Bears and took the reins they improved considerably. Their front four was older but right up at the top with that of the Lions and Vikings. Roman Gabriel was better than any QB they had in over a decade. But the Packers had more experience physically and were in better condition than just about any team. In 1967 the Rams had momentum but were drained from the long season staying with the Colts. The 2 a days Lombardi initiated in preseason were brutal but come postseason it made the difference. In the 28-7 playoff win the Packers dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The Rams were stunned. Allen was stunned. Lombardi beat them at their own game.

Last edited:

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were loaded, D.Jones, M. Olsen, Les Joesphsen, **** Bass and Jack Snow. I followed them pretty close. Listen to them on KMPC radio with **** Emberg... a great. He would call the game and say Rams have the ball moving left to right across your radio dial sweet stuff a 8 year old kid. But the Green Bay Packers were just greatness in every way. **** Emberg also called the Califronia Angel games. he made even the Angels entertaining. I quess in those early years for the Pack my favorites were E. Pitts, Herb and Travis Williams 23. I think Travis had a 103 kickoff return and like 80 punt return in same game at LA Coliseum. Best of times.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were loaded, D.Jones, M. Olsen, Les Joesphsen, **** Bass and Jack Snow. I followed them pretty close. Listen to them on KMPC radio with **** Emberg... a great. He would call the game and say Rams have the ball moving left to right across your radio dial sweet stuff a 8 year old kid. But the Green Bay Packers were just greatness in every way. **** Emberg also called the Califronia Angel games. he made even the Angels entertaining. I quess in those early years for the Pack my favorites were E. Pitts, Herb and Travis Williams 23. I think Travis had a 103 kickoff return and like 80 punt return in same game at LA Coliseum. Best of times.
Also Lamar Lundy, Rosie Grier, and Jack Pardee. Bruce Gossett was a decent kicker. Not easy being an Angel fan in the 60s because Dodger Blue and Vin Scully were the talk of the town. But both the Angels and Dodgers had good ownership and I thought they had good managers.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah; ol' Bob finally said "well, I think that's just about enough of that crap". lol

We did play the Rams twice that year, in September and again the last game of the season in December. Beat them both times. The September game was at Lambeau, if that helps at all.

We played a lot of games against the Rams during the mid-60s; we played them twice a year for at least 6 or 7 years because we were in the same division, and there were only 14 teams. Until Atlanta made it 15, can't recall which year that was. Probably 66.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah; ol' Bob finally said "well, I think that's just about enough of that crap". lol

We did play the Rams twice that year, in September and again the last game of the season in December. Beat them both times. The September game was at Lambeau, if that helps at all.

We played a lot of games against the Rams during the mid-60s; we played them twice a year for at least 6 or 7 years because we were in the same division, and there were only 14 teams. Until Atlanta made it 15, can't recall which year that was. Probably 66.
That first game in 1966 was 24-13 if I recall. The big play came in the second half when Elijah Pitts, filling in for Hornung, came out of the backfield and surprised the Ram D by slipping behind their safety. Starr hit him perfectly and they could not catch him. The long TD pass sealed it and our D took over from there.

Members online

Latest posts