What made you a Packers fan?

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy brought a Nintendo or Sega Gennesis football game, to many years I don't recall which one exactly. I didn't know anything about NFL and didn't want to play it but he finally convinced me and started to explain all the different position and some basic rules of the game. He said, pick a team so I asked who are this guy is the green and he said o that's the Green Bay Packers so I said ok this is going to be my team.

We played some games and I got sucked right in. Then I wanted to watch Packers play on TV so i did and never looked back. That was the year of our lord 1996.
Talk about beginners luck.

Jonty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re
Buddy brought a Nintendo or Sega Gennesis football game, to many years I don't recall which one exactly. I didn't know anything about NFL and didn't want to play it but he finally convinced me and started to explain all the different position and some basic rules of the game. He said, pick a team so I asked who are this guy is the green and he said o that's the Green Bay Packers so I said ok this is going to be my team.

We played some games and I got sucked right in. Then I wanted to watch Packers play on TV so i did and never looked back. That was the year of our lord 1996.
Talk about beginners luck.
You’re fortunate that you didn’t pick the Bears.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get a lot of flack for this because I live and was born in Arizona. Whenever I gloat about my Pack my friends go "oh where in Wisconsin are you from again Jake"? But ya, despite living in Arizona my whole life, I've always watched the Packers. My Mom's whole side of the family is from Madison, so they got me into it when I was very young. Only in the past few years did I really become the football nerd I am today, but back in the day I would watch the team without really knowing what was going on. I have memories of watching with my family when I was little and going "where's Brett Favre? why isn't he on the field?", and my family said "because we're on defense right now", and I replied "so"?
Haha funny stuff. But I get it some people like you and me once you pick a team you can't move off it. I get it. Though I'm thinking if I lived in a state that had its owne team I mist likly adopt it and be a fan of bouth of them. Twice as many meaningfull games to watch.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Indeed lol, if I did I would of died of high blood preasure leading to a heart attack or a seizure a long time ago.
AND..... Aaron Rodgers would own you! :eek:

Interesting Sidenote: The Vikings and the Bears both finished at 7-10 this season. The Vikings won the tie breaker and were seated ahead of the Bears, as the better team, in determining both draft position and the 2 teams that each team will play in 2024. Because the Vikings finished 3rd in the North, they get to go to Chicago to play the Bears and the Jets play at the Vikings. If Rodgers retires as a Jet, he will have to play in the 2026 Season to be able to own the Bears again, barring the 2 teams meeting in a Super Bowl of course.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?
I was born in Waupaca, in 1957, and grew up north of Stevens Point. When you grew up in rural northern Wisconsin in the 60s Packers and deer hunting were pretty much all you had. No internet, no video games, 2 TV channels out of Wausau, and sometimes channel 13 from Eau Claire. Maybe a Green Bay station on a good day. We lived for the Packers, and the 60s were a hell of a time for kid to be a Packer fan.

My dad started taking me to Lambeau in 63, when I was 7. This trip to the Big City always included a roast beef sandwich at the Arby's at Mason and Military, which was like a steak dinner to me back then. I still pick up a couple of roast beef sandwiches at the local Arby's a few minutes for the game a lot of the time, as my pre-game ritual. I feel that adhering to that tradition has resulted in a lot of winning seasons over the past 20 or 30 years, and a couple of Lombardi's, so I do not plan to give it up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I still have many of the autographs I got in the parking lot after games; not sure if that's a thing anymore. It'd be a shame if it's not. Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Donny Anderson.... Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston... Carrol Dale, Herb Adderley... I still remember the moment I got Bart Starr's autograph, 60 years ago this year. As though it was yesterday. I remember every single thing about it; the striped polo shirt he was wearing, the muscles on is forearms and hands standing out like cables while he signed, the godlike aura the man had about him, as though he was floating above the ground. He just had this.... presence. Can't explain it, but I sure noticed it, and still remember it. I expect I always will.

Even got Ray Nitschke's autograph, which I learned years later was a bit of a surprise. Apparently he and my dad had had some unpleasant personal history a few years prior, but either he didn't recognize my dad when he was sober or he was too nice of a guy to spoil a little kid's autograph. And he was a really nice man; asked me what I thought of the game, where my seat was, what was my favorite play - probably the scariest looking human being I'd ever met, but he made that 8-year old kid feel very special.

The years went by; teams came and went... quarterbacks came and went, coaches came and went, fortunes ebbed and flowed... Phil Bengston happened... Dan Devine happened, but we survived... Forrest Gregg happened, and life was hard.... but eventually, Ron Wolf happened too, and Mike Holmgren. Brett Favre happened, and Reggie White happened... Aaron Rodgers happened.... and now Matt Lafleur and Jordan love are happening.... and they've always been my Packers, and always will be.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was born in Waupaca, in 1957, and grew up north of Stevens Point. When you grew up in rural northern Wisconsin in the 60s Packers and deer hunting were pretty much all you had. No internet, no video games, 2 TV channels out of Wausau, and sometimes channel 13 from Eau Claire. Maybe a Green Bay station on a good day. We lived for the Packers, and the 60s were a hell of a time for kid to be a Packer fan.

My dad started taking me to Lambeau in 63, when I was 7. This trip to the Big City always included a roast beef sandwich at the Arby's at Mason and Military, which was like a steak dinner to me back then. I still pick up a couple of roast beef sandwiches at the local Arby's a few minutes for the game a lot of the time, as my pre-game ritual. I feel that adhering to that tradition has resulted in a lot of winning seasons over the past 20 or 30 years, and a couple of Lombardi's, so I do not plan to give it up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I still have many of the autographs I got in the parking lot after games; not sure if that's a thing anymore. It'd be a shame if it's not. Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Donny Anderson.... Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston... Carrol Dale, Herb Adderley... I still remember the moment I got Bart Starr's autograph, 60 years ago this year. As though it was yesterday. I remember every single thing about it; the striped polo shirt he was wearing, the muscles on is forearms and hands standing out like cables while he signed, the godlike aura the man had about him, as though he was floating above the ground. He just had this.... presence. Can't explain it, but I sure noticed it, and still remember it. I expect I always will.

Even got Ray Nitschke's autograph, which I learned years later was a bit of a surprise. Apparently he and my dad had had some unpleasant personal history a few years prior, but either he didn't recognize my dad when he was sober or he was too nice of a guy to spoil a little kid's autograph. And he was a really nice man; asked me what I thought of the game, where my seat was, what was my favorite play - probably the scariest looking human being I'd ever met, but he made that 8-year old kid feel very special.

The years went by; teams came and went... quarterbacks came and went, coaches came and went, fortunes ebbed and flowed... Phil Bengston happened... Dan Devine happened, but we survived... Forrest Gregg happened, and life was hard.... but eventually, Ron Wolf happened too, and Mike Holmgren. Brett Favre happened, and Reggie White happened... Aaron Rodgers happened.... and now Matt Lafleur and Jordan love are happening.... and they've always been my Packers, and always will be.
Ah, Ray Nitschke. My all time favorite Packer. As told by many, one of the nicest gentlemen to ever walk into the Packers locker room. On the field??? To teammates and opponents alike he was among the baddest mothers ever.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, Ray Nitschke. My all time favorite Packer. As told by many, one of the nicest gentlemen to ever walk into the Packers locker room. On the field??? To teammates and opponents alike he was among the baddest mothers ever.
A lot of bartenders remember as a pretty bad mother, too. He liked to throw 'em after a few beers, and he had quite a reputation in Green Bay his first few seasons. Funny thing is, he wasn't really that good at it, and had his *** handed to him a few times on Broadway.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul Harvey eulogizes Vince Lombardi. I was 12 - and remember this broadcast.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I remember this too. When it came from Paul Harvey, it was heartfelt. For those among us who are from Green Bay, or have lived in the area, the aura that permeated the team, Lambeau Field, the players, and the coaches, it was something so special absolutely nobody will ever be able to repeat it. I don't care how good a team is, in any city, nobody will top what we had.

In that era, not a city by city standards, but a large "town," was by far the best team in professional football, and despite the lack of population, the fan base was so strong, and so far reaching, that on any given Sunday, you could see car license plates in the parking lot at Lambeau Field, from over 20 states. Fans of the Packers, from a 1,000 miles away, or more, flocked to Green Bay to watch them perform.

To me, what the Packers were, under Lombardi, was the greatest era of professional sports ever, in the United States. Why the greatest? Because Green Bay was not a major city, or population center, and they did not have the money to buy into those things that made it easier to field great teams like you can in major metropolitan areas. It all happened because an assistant coach for the NY Giants decided he'd take the job offer from a team that had won only 1 game the year before, and had problems putting people into the stands.

Lombardi will always be the gold standard of coaching in the NFL. Nobody will every approach what he did. I always think about that one win, back in 1958, being there in the stands with just a few hundred people, and how different it was, when I was in that same stadium on December 31, 1961, as they beat the Giants to win the NFL Championship, in a title game that was played in Green Bay for the first time in their storied history.

If anyone asked me what the #1 thing was that Lombardi brought to the Packers, and to almost anyone who listened. I'd say it was clarity of mission. He knew what it would take, and where it should lead, and there was no reason in his mind that you can't achieve your goals if you're clear on how you will get there. There's probably never been a better road map for success.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember this too. When it came from Paul Harvey, it was heartfelt. For those among us who are from Green Bay, or have lived in the area, the aura that permeated the team, Lambeau Field, the players, and the coaches, it was something so special absolutely nobody will ever be able to repeat it. I don't care how good a team is, in any city, nobody will top what we had.

In that era, not a city by city standards, but a large "town," was by far the best team in professional football, and despite the lack of population, the fan base was so strong, and so far reaching, that on any given Sunday, you could see car license plates in the parking lot at Lambeau Field, from over 20 states. Fans of the Packers, from a 1,000 miles away, or more, flocked to Green Bay to watch them perform.

To me, what the Packers were, under Lombardi, was the greatest era of professional sports ever, in the United States. Why the greatest? Because Green Bay was not a major city, or population center, and they did not have the money to buy into those things that made it easier to field great teams like you can in major metropolitan areas. It all happened because an assistant coach for the NY Giants decided he'd take the job offer from a team that had won only 1 game the year before, and had problems putting people into the stands.

Lombardi will always be the gold standard of coaching in the NFL. Nobody will every approach what he did. I always think about that one win, back in 1958, being there in the stands with just a few hundred people, and how different it was, when I was in that same stadium on December 31, 1961, as they beat the Giants to win the NFL Championship, in a title game that was played in Green Bay for the first time in their storied history.

If anyone asked me what the #1 thing was that Lombardi brought to the Packers, and to almost anyone who listened. I'd say it was clarity of mission. He knew what it would take, and where it should lead, and there was no reason in his mind that you can't achieve your goals if you're clear on how you will get there. There's probably never been a better road map for success.
Well said V. I was 13 when Lombardi brought greatness to the Packers and Green Bay. It was an era that you just had to live through to understand I guess. It certainly was special. Still is.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I missed the Lombardi era, and became a fan during the dark years of the 70's, when 4 or 5 wins was the norm. My first memories of Packer football were John Brockington and MacArthur Lane in the backfield, with Scott Hunter at QB. Growing up in the U.P. of Michigan, we only had 1 channel, and the Packers were televised on that station, TV6 out of Marquette. My father was a Packer fan, so we watched every week they were on. One childhood memory I still remember was of our family heading to Milwaukee, for a bowling tournament my dad was participating in, and we stopped at the Packer Hall of Fame on our way. At 56, almost 57 years old, I feel like a youngster on this forum, not to mention a bit jealous at times, with all the stories you guys share of the Lombardi era you all were able to grow up in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At 56, almost 57 years old, I feel like a youngster on this forum, not to mention a bit jealous at times, with all the stories you guys share of the Lombardi era you all were able to grow up in.
I often wonder what the 30-40 year old Packer fan thinks. No memory of the Glory Years, but also no memory of the "Gory" years, when just sniffing the playoffs was considered HUGE! I think sometimes you have to live through the worst of times, to really appreciate the best of times, but more importantly, just to appreciate the average times too.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I often wonder what the 30-40 year old Packer fan thinks. No memory of the Glory Years, but also no memory of the "Gory" years, when just sniffing the playoffs was considered HUGE! I think sometimes you have to live through the worst of times, to really appreciate the best of times, but more importantly, just to appreciate the average times too.
Yeah, I just turned double nickels. My first real memories of the Packers are with Lynn ****ey, Lofton, etc. I remember the excitement that came when we got JJ to come to GB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raises hand....I fully am aware of hard times being a Cubs fan :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Raises hand....I fully am aware of hard times being a Cubs fan :)

A Cubs fan? :mad:

We might have to take a vote on removing you from this forum for having that ideology! You aren't a closet Bear fan are you? Asking for a friend and voter.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1966 i was 8 years old living in SoCal. I cut out black and white photos for LA Times of the Rams all the time. My Dad was super big wig with Aerojet Corp...built Apollo Lunar Module rocket engines..He would always get free tickets from work to Rams Dodgers and Lakers. 1966 he took me to see Rams Vs Packers. At the time the Rams uniforms all white with little blue trim. Ive never seen a football uniform in color up to that time...just in newspaper. So the Packer ran onto the field in their home uniforms...I could not believe how great they were, yellow helmets with the G and dark green jersy all in color! I was hook for life. I also went to super bowl 1 at LA Coliseum in Jan 67 and that cemeted everything for me. What i remember most was the jet pack guy flying around and the paper visor hats everyone was wearing. The stands seemed only half full...Super Bowl was a new thing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
1966 i was 8 years old living in SoCal. I cut out black and white photos for LA Times of the Rams all the time. My Dad was super big wig with Aerojet Corp...built Apollo Lunar Module rocket engines..He would always get free tickets from work to Rams Dodgers and Lakers. 1966 he took me to see Rams Vs Packers. At the time the Rams uniforms all white with little blue trim. Ive never seen a football uniform in color up to that time...just in newspaper. So the Packer ran onto the field in their home uniforms...I could not believe how great they were, yellow helmets with the G and dark green jersy all in color! I was hook for life. I also went to super bowl 1 at LA Coliseum in Jan 67 and that cemeted everything for me. What i remember most was the jet pack guy flying around and the paper visor hats everyone was wearing. The stands seemed only half full...Super Bowl was a new thing.
Did Vince look nervous? I've read that prior to that game was the most nervous he'd ever been. Felt like he was carrying the entire NFL on his shoulders.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know if Vince was nervous or not. I was 8... all I knew about the pack players was 15, 5 and 26...but i was nervous about the steep steep stairs going up in the Coliseum i mean stright up. Also the stupid seagulls flying overhead crapping on me....i wish i was still 8.

Members online

Latest posts