What made you a Packers fan?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I randomly chose this message board. Did Captain leave the forum? I have not seen him in quite some time. He used to contribute quite a bit.

He was given an exit for doing something those in charge deemed inappropriate in response to being temporarily banned/held from posting. He failed to respect their decision and they acted in response to that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Are we left with any dead cap money?
LOL @ "Dead Cap"

Cap and I were best of friends for years on this forum, but in the last year, something switched and we became toxic to each other. I wish him all the best, acknowledge that many of his posts were very valuable to this forum and hope he has a long and healthy life. He was and I am quite sure, still is, a huge Packer fan in Austria.

Guessing he is playing golf with Mason Crosby somewhere.

Reaction score
LOL @ "Dead Cap"

Cap and I were best of friends for years on this forum, but in the last year, something switched and we became toxic to each other. I wish him all the best, acknowledge that many of his posts were very valuable to this forum and hope he has a long and healthy life. He was and I am quite sure, still is, a huge Packer fan in Austria.

I wonder if Mason knows how much he advocated for him and ultimately influenced our FO employment decisions. :eek:
When Mason lands a ball just short of the Green I can already hear Captain cussing him under his breath :laugh:

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL @ "Dead Cap"

Back about 20 years ago when the team NFL boards were on AOL I was at odds with one of the Packer posters. His board name was Duckcover. We slugged it out for years and another poster got us together on peaceful terms. The 3 of us went to see the Raiders in 2019 and we get along now.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still use my AOL address. In fact we changed ISPs and so I created another to replace the ISP email we lost.
I remember the "old" AOL days, when they were the only kid on the block. I was deeply involved in their NFL offering. It was a lot of fun, but that was nearly 30 years ago, and it consumed a lot of time. I couldn't believe the viewing numbers of the stuff I worked on. It was incredible. The more outrageous the writing I did, the more the viewership increased.

I don't miss it though. Too much time, and not much reward.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the "old" AOL days, when they were the only kid on the block. I was deeply involved in their NFL offering. It was a lot of fun, but that was nearly 30 years ago, and it consumed a lot of time. I couldn't believe the viewing numbers of the stuff I worked on. It was incredible. The more outrageous the writing I did, the more the viewership increased.

I don't miss it though. Too much time, and not much reward.
I liked the interaction with the fans of other teams' boards.

OUpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in Oklahoma and being a huge football fan I was always aware of the rich tradition of the Packers.
My brother got married to a lady from Wisconsin and at their wedding I toured Lambeau. Later on, we attended our first game and I couldn’t believe the atmosphere, it was like a college game day
I have been back to 4 games, wish I could go to more but my job as a high school coach makes that difficult.
Ever since the first game I attended, I have been a fan.

Jonty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Alabama during the Packers' drought period of the 1970s and 1980s. The Packers were not a winning team in those years, and there were no regional ties, so I never had any fan interest in the Packers. I thought they were a boring team. I was aware of the great Packer teams in the 1960s, but to a child's perception, a previous decade may as well be a previous century.

I lived in Mississippi for a couple of years, and that just happened to be when Brett Favre played for Southern Miss. USM was never my favorite college team, but I always respected them, and I loved watching Favre play. When the Packers traded for Favre in 1992, the team entered my radar for the first time. When Reggie White came to GB in 1993 and persuaded several other players to join him there, the Packers became a relevant team to me.

My interest in the Packers grew as I watched the team in those early Favre years. The entire team was fun to watch; they were winning, and the team obviously had a unique relationship with its fans. This was about the time the Lambeau Leap was born. Leroy Butler started it, of course, but in my memory (right or wrong) it was Robert Brooks who really popularized it and made it a regular thing.

As the Packers continued to win, I learned more about the team, its structure, and its history. There isn't anything like it in all of sports. It wasn't long before I was hooked. The internet and podcasts have made it easy to follow the team day-to-day from a different region of the country, and I have loved the green and gold through good times and bad. I hated Favre for a while for the way he left GB, and I don't excuse his off the field antics after his retirement, but he probably is the gutsiest football player I have ever seen. He was a blast to watch, and he will always be my QB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
the Packers' drought period of the 1970s and 1980s
Around here fondly referred to as the GORY YEARS. Welcome. The leap just celebrated it's birthday. There's a thread around here someplace. I'd point you to it but, like a so-so store always rearranging the shelves, I'll let you wander about looking for it while only seeing all the other interesting threads that may entice you.

Jonty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The leap just celebrated it's birthday. There's a thread around here someplace. I'd point you to it but, like a so-so store always rearranging the shelves, I'll let you wander about looking for it while only seeing all the other interesting threads that may entice you.

Saw this recently:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Alabama during the Packers' drought period of the 1970s and 1980s. The Packers were not a winning team in those years, and there were no regional ties, so I never had any fan interest in the Packers. I thought they were a boring team. I was aware of the great Packer teams in the 1960s, but to a child's perception, a previous decade may as well be a previous century.

I lived in Mississippi for a couple of years, and that just happened to be when Brett Favre played for Southern Miss. USM was never my favorite college team, but I always respected them, and I loved watching Favre play. When the Packers traded for Favre in 1992, the team entered my radar for the first time. When Reggie White came to GB in 1993 and persuaded several other players to join him there, the Packers became a relevant team to me.

My interest in the Packers grew as I watched the team in those early Favre years. The entire team was fun to watch; they were winning, and the team obviously had a unique relationship with its fans. This was about the time the Lambeau Leap was born. Leroy Butler started it, of course, but in my memory (right or wrong) it was Robert Brooks who really popularized it and made it a regular thing.

As the Packers continued to win, I learned more about the team, its structure, and its history. There isn't anything like it in all of sports. It wasn't long before I was hooked. The internet and podcasts have made it easy to follow the team day-to-day from a different region of the country, and I have loved the green and gold through good times and bad. I hated Favre for a while for the way he left GB, and I don't excuse his off the field antics after his retirement, but he probably is the gutsiest football player I have ever seen. He was a blast to watch, and he will always be my QB.
Wow that's an interesting history. And yeah, there's a little irony that the Lambeau Leap was invented by a defensive player.

And I agree with your points, good and bad, about Favre. Rodgers went through the same late-career head swelling. But both gave us 30 years of very good football. And I did live through the 60s, then the endless days in the 70s and 80s. Born a fan I guess. In Wisconsin, it's a requirement for citizenship!

Jonty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow that's an interesting history. And yeah, there's a little irony that the Lambeau Leap was invented by a defensive player.

And I agree with your points, good and bad, about Favre. Rodgers went through the same late-career head swelling. But both gave us 30 years of very good football. And I did live through the 60s, then the endless days in the 70s and 80s. Born a fan I guess. In Wisconsin, it's a requirement for citizenship!

I wanted to give your post a "Like", but I swear I can't find any reaction options anywhere.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Around here fondly referred to as the GORY YEARS. Welcome. The leap just celebrated it's birthday. There's a thread around here someplace. I'd point you to it but, like a so-so store always rearranging the shelves, I'll let you wander about looking for it while only seeing all the other interesting threads that may entice you.
The Gory Years. They really were awful. The Bears owned the Packers in those days, specifically, Walter Payton. But a lot of the misery was self-inflicted - 9 years of coaching from Bart Starr (who will be remembered for everything he did for GB, except this), Forrest Gregg (was there a worse HC in the history of the NFL?), Dan Devine (But c'mon, shooting a guy's dog? That was too much for GB.)

Gory Years indeed. And then there was Harlan and Wolf and Favre and White and Holmgren to restart the greatest franchise in the NFL. It's still going.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wanted to give your post a "Like", but I swear I can't find any reaction options anywhere.
I could be wrong and maybe a Mod can confirm either way, but I think new accounts have a "waiting period" b4 they are able to give a "reaction". When it is active you will find it at the bottom right corner of the post, next to quote and reply.

Jonty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong and maybe a Mod can confirm either way, but I think new accounts have a "waiting period" b4 they are able to give a "reaction". When it is active you will find it at the bottom right corner of the post, next to quote and reply.

Thanks, Pokerbrat! ("Like")

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome Jonty.
It'll appear after you make 100 or 125 posts.
(I had the same question when I first started.)