What Happened in Green Bay - Bleacher Report

Reaction score
This is just a guess but as soon as GB puts their first two back to back wins together all this hyperbole will be washed away like a Toad in a gorge during the first Spring downpour.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
someday it will all be in a book...mccarthy/rodgers/thompson/murphy/ball/wolf/gute.

I have often said that I would read a book that Thompson writes....although it might put me to sleep :sleep:

But in all seriousness, whether its a book or a media piece, you probably are going to only hear the details the author is going to want you to hear. I'm not a big fan of reading articles that mostly use unnamed sources and/or sources that to me don't carry much weight.

Reaction score
Rodgers was part of the problem though. The Packers will face tough times if LaFleur is capable of having #12 completely buy into his system.
That’s true. As been said before, I do think Aaron’s number has been called out. Even if this isn’t 100% factual this will keep him honest so to speak going forward. Aaron is the only common denominator left in the equation of troubleshooting a defect in workmanship. If this thing doesn’t work? all eyes are on him with laser like focus and he will be the next one on the hot seat.
That said. I don’t think Aaron is as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He’s also getting older, with that generally comes wisdom.
I think he’ll do the right thing and stand down to LaFleur as a whole. He’s smarter than guys like Antonio Brown who are unpredictable. Plus, he’s always been good under pressure.. good when he’s injured, good when he’s backed up against the 8 ball, good when he’s not supposed to win, this is something I’ve picked up on, but us Packer fans have lived it. We can recall countless times when we had no business winning a game and he absolutely was like magic; No business making the playoffs and we answer loud n clear; No business as a 6th seed? We win a Championship.
He responds to adversity. Some guys react. I’ll still put my money on him to get us at least one more Lombardi.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no one comes out of this article unscathed. colin cowherd calls it a hatch-job on mccarthy but it's just as critical of rodgers...and others.
Yesterday Cowherd said that Rodgers came off pretty good in the article, and McCarthy looked really bad.
Today though he must have read the second half of the article because he was crowing that it was about time someone told the truth about Aaron Rodgers. He all but called him a dirtbag, and told him to grow up.

I don't really see what is so bad here. Okay, Rodgers is maybe a bit of a egomaniac and a pampered athlete. So was Favre. So are probably most people that get to be in his position. Maybe he's not as friendly or likable as Tom Brady, but people will always kiss Brady's @ss because he has six rings. If Rodgers had six rings, we'd be hearing a different story.

As for McCarthy, he denies the massages, but again, who doesn't take advantage of the perks of their position? So he sent an assistant to run some meetings, big deal, it was probably good experience for them.

I think people are overreacting to the whole thing, like it proves that Green Bay is a cesspool or something. All it amounts to is some office gossip. But I don't agree with the people who think Rodgers is some sort of saint either, and is above reproach. He's still a human, I'm sure he still uses the toilet like anyone else.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remembered an old video on this. Here goes...

1:45 - 2:45 covers feeling of both AR and MM. Quite a different view give current context!

And at 3:15 AR says "he" said straight up they are going to pick him. I reckon he meant MM, but not sure.

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remembered an old video on this. Here goes...

1:45 - 2:45 covers feeling of both AR and MM. Quite a difference view give current context!

And at 3:15 AR says "he" said straight up they are going to pick him. I reckon he meant MM, but not sure.
Great watch. I still remember watching that draft. I remember seeing Cedric Benson so like a baby saying he was going to prove the world wrong, and ESPN kept going back to AR in that green room.

I don't blame him for that chip on his shoulder. I'm happy we drafted him.

People forget why he fell. That video tells a lot of the story, the cap and whatnot. People may not recall the Jeff Tedford angle.

Tedford (AR coach at Cal) had spun out a lot if high profile QB flops over the years. With AR coming from Butte college before Cal, and that horrible throwing stance, many assumed another Tedford system qb. It scared a lot off him.

I still recall seeing that high release even in green and gold. If nothing else, the MM/AR relationship wound up molding who he is as a QB today. Not entirely, but to an extent.

Let's leave it on that, a good note. That video was a nice blast from the past. Thank you!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interesting to me that the main players who were heavily quoted and who cast Rodgers in a negative light last played with him in '12/'13.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to me that the main players who were heavily quoted and who cast Rodgers in a negative light last played with him in '12/'13.
If you've watched this team in the last 5 years and didn't see cracks, you are wearing green and gold colored glasses.

Look. I love AR. I'm also not shocked to hear that players and lower level coaches may fear his reach by speaking out without being anonymous.

Who on this team now is going to speak out publically and expect to still have a job? There isn't one, save for Davante Adams, with the stature. Period. And he has to have AR throw to him.

Other than that, who else?

I fully believe the smoke has a fire at it's base. The fact that the organization didn't come out full throated against the article says everything. Best they could muster was " that convo between Mark and Aaron wasn't .... Exactly... Accurate....".

That speaks volumes.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you've watched this team in the last 5 years and didn't see cracks, you are wearing green and gold colored glasses.

Look. I love AR. I'm also not shocked to hear that players and lower level coaches may fear his reach by speaking out without being anonymous.

Who on this team now is going to speak out publically and expect to still have a job? There isn't one, save for Davante Adams, with the stature. Period. And he has to have AR throw to him.

I fully believe the smoke has a fire at it's base. The fact that the organization didn't come out full throated against the article says everything. Best they could muster was " that convo between Mark and Aaron wasn't .... Exactly... Accurate....".

That speaks volumes.
At the same time in the past 5 years, the talent has been dwindling around Rodgers in which more has been put on his plate, and therefore would probably play to his frustration. We've already seen when he tried to give some input he was denied in regards to keeping players around and whatnot.

And honestly the better question is who on the squad has the position or right to speak out against him considering what he brings to the table? Outside of Finley and Jennings, the majority of past teammates spoke positively about him.

Stephen A covered a lot of points regarding Rodgers on his radio show today.

Skip to 6:14

Again the issue has been because we have been losing, but I don't blame Rodgers as that reason primarily, with the exception of this year, as he plays a large part of the blame. But overall I blame Thompson, McCarthy, and Capers. Especially when the argument can be made that they got lackadaisical because Rodgers covered them for so many years.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, to you, AR is just misunderstood? I agree all those people share blame. Ignoring Aaron's role in this is wearing blinders.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, to you, AR is just misunderstood? I agree all those people share blame. Ignoring Aaron's role in this is wearing blinders.
My question is what role did Rodgers have exactly? He wasn't in charge of the personnel clearly. He wasn't in charge of drafting players. His job was to play QB and win football games. If you're saying his personality was the issue then imo that sounds like a personal problem. It's not about wearing blinders, but it's seeing through deception.

The thing is these are from outside sources and not from Rodgers himself, and based off the times Rodgers was interviewed all evidence points to the contrary to what is being said about him. I never said he was blameless, but the thing is from a football standpoint prior to these past two years in which he's been injured, (I hold it against him more so this year than the previous one, because he could've won some games) he's gotten us to the playoffs. It's certainly not his fault as to why we lost those playoff games.

In regards to what has been said about him, every time we lose the game, I never see him pointing fingers at anyone at the podium. Rodgers always blamed himself for the losses. And when they won he always credited his team. Again the issue is the fact that we're losing right now. Winning cures everything. You think there would be much validity if we were winning? Remember when Greg ran his mouth the first year in Minnesota? Rodgers took the high road. It's funny to me how all these things are being said about Rodgers and yet Rodgers has chosen not to retaliate to any of this. On top of that considering that other teammates have come out and stated otherwise in regards to Rodgers as to what has been said about him, it's hard for me to put a lot of stock into that. To me this kinda seems like high school when kids going around and say stuff about so and so simply b/c things ended up badly and whatnot.

Can Rodgers be a pain in the butt? I can see that. But at the same time I know his expectations are high because he knows how much is demanded from him, but at the same time he demands others to elevate themselves rather than just to rely solely on him. Can he rub people the wrong way because of it? I can see that, but then again all great quarterbacks are difficult. We've seen Brady get into pissing contests with his coordinators and fellow teammates. Same with Peyton. Hell Michael Jordan punched his teammate in the face during practice, and criticized his own coach, but this gets sweep under the rug.

I mean just listen to the interview he had a couple years back with Stephen A. He addressed these issues. Which is why I don't think Arodg and McCarthy's relationship was as bad as people are making it. Did Rodgers get tired and irritated? I could see that, but I do think he respected him nonetheless. Even if they didn't see eye to eye.

We just need to win. That'll fix everything.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In regards to what has been said about him, every time we lose the game, I never see him pointing fingers at anyone at the podium. Rodgers always blamed himself for the losses.

Yo
My question is what role did Rodgers have exactly? He wasn't in charge of the personnel clearly. He wasn't in charge of drafting players. His job was to play QB and win football games. If you're saying his personality was the issue then imo that sounds like a personal problem. It's not about wearing blinders, but it's seeing through deception.

The thing is these are from outside sources and not from Rodgers himself, and based off the times Rodgers was interviewed all evidence points to the contrary to what is being said about him. I never said he was blameless, but the thing is from a football standpoint prior to these past two years in which he's been injured, (I hold it against him more so this year than the previous one, because he could've won some games) he's gotten us to the playoffs. It's certainly not his fault as to why we lost those playoff games.

In regards to what has been said about him, every time we lose the game, I never see him pointing fingers at anyone at the podium. Rodgers always blamed himself for the losses. And when they won he always credited his team. Again the issue is the fact that we're losing right now. Winning cures everything. You think there would be much validity if we were winning? Remember when Greg ran his mouth the first year in Minnesota? Rodgers took the high road. It's funny to me how all these things are being said about Rodgers and yet Rodgers has chosen not to retaliate to any of this. On top of that considering that other teammates have come out and stated otherwise in regards to Rodgers as to what has been said about him, it's hard for me to put a lot of stock into that. To me this kinda seems like high school when kids going around and say stuff about so and so simply b/c things ended up badly and whatnot.

Can Rodgers be a pain in the butt? I can see that. But at the same time I know his expectations are high because he knows how much is demanded from him, but at the same time he demands others to elevate themselves rather than just to rely solely on him. Can he rub people the wrong way because of it? I can see that, but then again all great quarterbacks are difficult. We've seen Brady get into pissing contests with his coordinators and fellow teammates. Same with Peyton. Hell Michael Jordan punched his teammate in the face during practice, and criticized his own coach, but this gets sweep under the rug.

I mean just listen to the interview he had a couple years back with Stephen A. He addressed these issues. Which is why I don't think Arodg and McCarthy's relationship was as bad as people are making it. Did Rodgers get tired and irritated? I could see that, but I do think he respected him nonetheless. Even if they didn't see eye to eye.

I think you are proving the point I'm making while also missing it: this was acceptable when we were winning.

We haven't been winning for 2 years. He is part of the problem with why we aren't winning, not just based on rumors and anonymous sources. Go watch a tape or two vs S.A.S. rants. He is a BIG part of the "why".

He's refusing to play within the confines of the offense, doing un Aaron Rodgers things, hold ball too long, forcing plays downfield vs throwing to open 2/3 reads, audibling out of plays regularly that he disagrees with. Openly questioning his coaches on the sideline, acting very "Cutler like" in recent years.

You can say he has good reason to do these things, and maybe he always has done them, but we didn't notice bc of the wins ...

But we are NOT winning now, and just removed a lot of talent around him. Outside of the blanket "change=good", nothing is pointing to a course correction.

Maybe after Sept, this will be all water under the bridge, but until the needle moves that direction, anyone saying he doesn't have a Lion's share of the blame (last Man standing) for HIS OWN actions is not going to get an agreement from me.

Regardless of what Stephen A Smith thinks.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yo

I think you are proving the point I'm making while also missing it: this was acceptable when we were winning.

We haven't been winning for 2 years. He is part of the problem with why we aren't winning, not just based on rumors and anonymous sources. Go watch a tape or two vs S.A.S. rants. He is a BIG part of the "why".

He's refusing to play within the confines of the offense, doing un Aaron Rodgers things, hold ball too long, forcing plays downfield vs throwing to open 2/3 reads, audibling out of plays regularly that he disagrees with. Openly questioning his coaches on the sideline, acting very "Cutler like" in recent years.

You can say he has good reason to do these things, and maybe he always has done them, but we didn't notice bc of the wins ...

But we are NOT winning now, and just removed a lot of talent around him. Outside of the blanket "change=good", nothing is pointing to a course correction.

Maybe after Sept, this will be all water under the bridge, but until the needle moves that direction, anyone saying he doesn't have a Lion's share of the blame (last Man standing) for HIS OWN actions is not going to get an agreement from me.

Regardless of what Stephen A Smith thinks.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
So we're on one accord? Just go out there and win?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That speaks volumes.

1) I didn't say that all the problems are now gone.

2) There are lots of players not currently on the team who played after that era and could have said something if they wanted to (Sitton, Lang, Nelson, Cobb, Tretter, Lacy, Starks, etc).

3) It's possible that while the McCarthy/Rodgers situation remained a disaster, Rodgers may have learned to relate to his teammates more amicably as he got older. It's also possible that that's not the case.

4) All of this is speculation.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Two most concerning aspects for the here and now:

1) Is Rodgers willing to buy in to an offensive program? It's totally possible that he was just fed up with McCarthy and the marriage was forced to last too long. In that case, you could see him being refreshed and invigorated to work with Petals. However, if the worst light cast on him in that article is true (and it could easily not be), then you worry that he won't want to get on board with the new offense and things don't get moving in the right direction.

2) Where did the EQ stuff come from? Because it sure sounds like he or someone close to him talked to Dunne. And if that happened, he might have broken trust.

My guess-- it was his dad. His dad being overly involved and opinionated was a concern for teams predraft. It's one of the reasons he was there in the 6th round. It's only speculation, but I wonder if Daddy was unhappy with how Rodgers rode EQ during the season and talked to Dunne.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Two most concerning aspects for the here and now:

1) Is Rodgers willing to buy in to an offensive program? It's totally possible that he was just fed up with McCarthy and the marriage was forced to last too long. In that case, you could see him being refreshed and invigorated to work with Petals. However, if the worst light cast on him in that article is true (and it could easily not be), then you worry that he won't want to get on board with the new offense and things don't get moving in the right direction.

2) Where did the EQ stuff come from? Because it sure sounds like he or someone close to him talked to Dunne. And if that happened, he might have broken trust.

My guess-- it was his dad. His dad being overly involved and opinionated was a concern for teams predraft. It's one of the reasons he was there in the 6th round. It's only speculation, but I wonder if Daddy was unhappy with how Rodgers rode EQ during the season and talked to Dunne.
Great point on dad

Reaction score
Human nature makes us feel empowered when we think we’re able to offer false testimony against our brothers.
Oddly enough, It’s not the story though that makes our testimony false.. it’s the position we’re telling it from that I contend is of weakness. I’ve never seen any person cut down their brother that isn’t a coward either doing it out of monetary gain (a lie) or from a position of fear (inadequacy) of derived from selfish pride. (False strength)
Not one of these guys piling on are worthy of their weight in salt. They are all hypocrites and that’s the only thing I’m sure of 100%. The tongue is a powerful tool, but be very careful because it is also what defiles us.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think any of this is that big of a deal. Nobody was murdered. No laws were broken. It's just family squabble stuff. Like somebody wrote a tell all book. McCarthy is gone, most of this just doesn't really matter anymore at this point.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think any of this is that big of a deal. Nobody was murdered. No laws were broken. It's just family squabble stuff. Like somebody wrote a tell all book. McCarthy is gone, most of this just doesn't really matter anymore at this point.
not a big deal? it certainly was. is it water under the bridge now...only partially.
as i mentioned before there's one piece of the triangle still remaining and his mindset/attitude/thinking is the key going forward. it's a huge question mark.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not a big deal? it certainly was.
Relative to what? If you put it into perspective, it's not such a big deal. I bet you could find more slanderous things about most families and most locker rooms, if you really dig. The only stuff that I find relative is whether it affects the team winning or losing.

Like McCarthy supposedly got some massages, and let someone else lead a meeting. Who cares, really? The meeting got held and the players got the info. Maybe Rodgers got frustrated with McCarthy's playcalling, but come on. Posters have been complaining about McCarthy's plays and playcalling for years, it's nothing new. It's nothing we didn't know.

I don't think Rodgers is ever going to be a big people person, but that's okay, not everybody has to be. I don't think he's going to intentionally undermine the new coach though, unless the guy is an idiot (which I don't believe he is).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts