What Happened in Green Bay - Bleacher Report

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned with what happened in the past, or who's fault it was, etc. They're all gone now, and I'm looking forward.

Moving on....

This article, especially with the way it's gone viral, feels like a tipping point for AR imo. He can either choose to face that some of these criticisms are undoubtedly true (we can all see it) and reflect/learn/grow from this or he can continue to be petulant and off-putting with teammates and the article will haunt him the rest of his career because he will have proved it right.

In regards to the article itself, while it was nice having Grant put his name on it, can we please stop quoting GG and JF? For how sensitive everyone says AR is, GG has to be 10000% worse as he's based his entire relationship on a jokey passing comment AR made to another player about him. And JF continues to make a career for himself post-football by making newsworthy quotes. The shocking aspects of the article are basically anchored on these 2 people and some others that didn't have the stones to put their name on their words. Might as well go quote Martellus while you're at it.

Would love to hear from some past players that aren't these 2. James Jones has had nothing but great things to say, lets get some O-lineman, Kuhn, Clay, Woodson, etc on the record. Not to say GG and JF are necessarily wrong, but 95% of the entire AR bashing catalog is authored by these 2.

D

Deleted member 6794

MM couldn't even manage the clock how was he gonna manage Rodgers? Rodgers is a very smart human being which makes it nearly impossible for a guy like McCarthy to manage him.

McCarthy was able to manage Rodgers for a long time, developing him into an elite quarterback.

Would love to hear from some past players that aren't these 2. James Jones has had nothing but great things to say, lets get some O-lineman, Kuhn, Clay, Woodson, etc on the record. Not to say GG and JF are necessarily wrong, but 95% of the entire AR bashing catalog is authored by these 2.

Jones and Kuhn already commented on the story.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...ort-missing-team-meetings-massage/3370642002/

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was able to manage Rodgers for a long time, developing him into an elite quarterback.

Jones and Kuhn already commented on the story.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...ort-missing-team-meetings-massage/3370642002/

What is crazy is that people are going to believe Finley and Jennings and unnamed sources over Kuhn and Jones. And they will do this for one of two reasons - either it fits the narrative they already believe or they love the drama. There is no other real reason to believe those two over the other two

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is crazy is that people are going to believe Finley and Jennings and unnamed sources over Kuhn and Jones. And they will do this for one of two reasons - either it fits the narrative they already believe or they love the drama. There is no other real reason to believe those two over the other two

Right, talking favorably about a person doesn't grab headlines so their comments will go largely unheard.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if you choose to believe the report, MM let the fact that he coached Rodgers go to his head and was bragging that he is the reason Rodgers is as good as he is today. That kind of hubris was one of the many things that led to his downfall.

D

Deleted member 6794

But if you choose to believe the report, MM let the fact that he coached Rodgers go to his head and was bragging that he is the reason Rodgers is as good as he is today. That kind of hubris was one of the many things that led to his downfall.

Don't get me wrong, it was definitely time to move on from McCarthy. But in my opinion it's ridiculous to not give him any credit for the success the Packers have had for most of his tenure.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it was definitely time to move on from McCarthy. But in my opinion it's ridiculous to not give him any credit for the success the Packers have had for most of his tenure.

It’s not that people aren’t giving him credit. It’s like what Ryan Grant said about AI. When you give it instructions and let it do it’s own thing, eventually that AI is going to become self sufficient and if you don’t stay ahead of it, eventually it’s going to outthink you. MM basically got drunk off of his own success and thought that Rodgers would bail him out and for a long time he did. After the 2014 NFCCG, it was obvious something was wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

It’s not that people aren’t giving him credit.

There are a ton of people not giving McCarthy any credit with some of them even mentioning he doesn't have an IQ high enough to be a successful head coach. In my opinion that's ludicrous.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing how some of you are totally “blind” and outright refuse to acknowledge that Rodgers is NOT without Blame ...

It is an almost certainty that a coach/GM like Belichick would NOT accept The behaviour Rodgers has displayed. Just look at The long list of players that have been shipped off from NE bevandrede they either had an attitude problem, demanded too Much Money or both ...

Now, I’ve never been a fan of neither McLardy nor Rodgers, however, - as I’ve Stated numerous times, while Rodgers is an extremely talented qb, Rodgers has never been (and most likely never Will be) a Leader, especially NOT untill he changes his attitude and demeanor.

I hope I am wrong, but I Honestly Think we’ll see Rodgers and Lafleur butting heads sooner rather than later ... - especially if what was relayed about Murphy telling Rodgers before The Packers hired Lafleur ...
What behavior, exactly? Bill B probably thinks that McCarthy is a bigger idiot that Rodgers does. He studied the offense and knows that the whole thing is a crock.

Seriously, how do you people overlook missing meetings to have masaages performed, or him taking credit for Joe Montana? He's lazy, stubborn, complacent, and likely just not a very smart person. Which is why his playbook never evolved and the team had no fire whatsoever. All while Rodgers was breaking his body for the team.

Again Brady has the best coach in the history of sports. Rodgers has one of the biggest frauds. He wouldn't behave that way in NE because his coach would be doing his job. Rodgers would probably be one of the more low key, likeable QBs if he simply had to do his job instead of being Superman.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*SNORE*

Now we're a bunch of cackling old hens nattering around the kitchen table. Who likes who and who hates who.

You get 50+ alpha males in the same locker room and there's bound to be tension, no?

Let's move on to the new season, shall we?

SWR

D

Deleted member 6794

Seriously, how do you people overlook missing meetings to have masaages performed, or him taking credit for Joe Montana?

I wouldn't believe every word in Dunne's article. McCarthy vehemently denied that he missed meeting to have massages.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres some truth to what GJ and JFin said. As per unnamed sources, people got careers on the line, families to support- unethically to namedrop someone who wished to not be named unless they publically state their thoughts or want to be directly quoted like GH JFin.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe every word in Dunne's article. McCarthy vehemently denied that he missed meeting to have massages.
Well if that didn't fit in with his pattern of behavior and comments from Murphy, then I would agree. The team certainly looked like their coach was MIA.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Not sure if yall seen/listen to this. Awesome podcast interview with Tramon. Nice laid back interview. Tramon provides great insights on Packers locker room and environment vs other teams hes played on.
-edit if you wanna skip
15 minutes in Tramon talks bout Arod
-edit 2... 22mins in Tramon talks bout this season
27 min - topic of McCarthy and the team + arod

1hr in Tramon talks about packers locker room vs Clevelands atmosphere

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing how some of you are totally “blind” and outright refuse to acknowledge that Rodgers is NOT without Blame ...

It is an almost certainty that a coach/GM like Belichick would NOT accept The behaviour Rodgers has displayed. Just look at The long list of players that have been shipped off from NE bevandrede they either had an attitude problem, demanded too Much Money or both ...

Now, I’ve never been a fan of neither McLardy nor Rodgers, however, - as I’ve Stated numerous times, while Rodgers is an extremely talented qb, Rodgers has never been (and most likely never Will be) a Leader, especially NOT untill he changes his attitude and demeanor.

I hope I am wrong, but I Honestly Think we’ll see Rodgers and Lafleur butting heads sooner rather than later ... - especially if what was relayed about Murphy telling Rodgers before The Packers hired Lafleur ...
I knew this would get you to post

James Jones was on the air and said
this is not thr Aaron he knows.

He says the un named sources have an opinion but he thinks it's wrong

D

Deleted member 6794

Theres some truth to what GJ and JFin said. As per unnamed sources, people got careers on the line, families to support- unethically to namedrop someone who wished to not be named unless they publically state their thoughts or want to be directly quoted like GH JFin.

In my opinion if a player or member of the front office don't want to put their name out there in a story like that they should just shut the **** up.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What part is true? That Aaron is ******* players? No way! If he is such a jerk though why do guys like jordy, Cobb and Jones like him so much? Sure there is some truth but I have no reason to believe those two over James Jones

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What part is true? That Aaron is ******* players? No way! If he is such a jerk though why do guys like jordy, Cobb and Jones like him so much? Sure there is some truth but I have no reason to believe those two over James Jones
I agree 100% i believe JJ over those two. Every qb got an ego. And not just ARod but every elite qb has to uphold standards for WR. If anything for Jenning imo i think Jenning compare ARod to Favre too much. I think Jennings wanted ARod to be more like Favre (social, parties, invites etc) Arod is much more reserved.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion if a player or member of the front office don't want to put their name out there in a story like that they should just shut the **** up.

This. If you're man enough to tell a journalist, knowing it will be published, be man enough to put your name on it. Otherwise you're just a coward talking ****.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abbrederis and Janis definitely weren't better options than Cobb or Adams in 2015.

Do you not remember the Divisional game against Arizona? The offense immediately kickstarted when (merely due to injury) the two came in. I'm obviously not saying they were/are better players, but Cobb was injured to the point of being ineffectual and Adams was amid the single worst receiving year by a starting WR in modern NFL history. It was clear the offense needed for the young guys to get involved.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you not remember the Divisional game against Arizona? The offense immediately kickstarted when (merely due to injury) the two came in. I'm obviously not saying they were/are better players, but Cobb was injured to the point of being ineffectual and Adams was amid the single worst receiving year by a starting WR in modern NFL history. It was clear the offense needed for the young guys to get involved.

Of course I remember the playoff game at Arizona. While both Abbrederis and Janis provided a spark in it they wouldn't have been an upgrade over either Adams or Cobb on a consistent basis. You're completely exaggerating about Adams' struggles in 2015.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I remember the playoff game at Arizona. While both Abbrederis and Janis provided a spark in it they wouldn't have been an upgrade over either Adams or Cobb on a consistent basis. You're completely exaggerating about Adams' struggles in 2015.

I didn't say they should replace them for their entire careers or the entire season: I said Cobb needed to be benched to recover from his injury and Adams needed to be benched to get his head together.

Also, I'm not exaggerating about Adams' struggles, since I didn't write the article.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has targeted Adams 64 times this year, and Adams has caught just 32 of those passes. We've seen worse catch rates than that among higher-volume receivers, to be clear, but most of the wideouts who see that low of catch rates also have accumulated high yards per reception averages. In other words, they're deep ball threats -- their catch rates are lower because they're seeing lower percentage throws.

Adams isn't one of those deep ball guys, as he has a 10.1 yards per reception average right now. Since targets started being recorded back in 1992, per Pro Football Reference, only 17 wide receivers have averaged 11 or fewer yards per reception with a 50% (or worse) catch rate while seeing 60 or more targets in a season.

Davante Adams is one of those players.

And among this group of 17 -- remember, these are guys who have caught 50% or fewer of their targets while seeing 60 or more targets -- Adams' 10.1 yards per reception rate is fifth worst.

Predictably, this has translated to our advanced analytics. Since the turn of the century, 1,198 wide receivers have caught 30 or more passes, excluding this season. In terms of Reception NEP per target -- our per-target efficiency metric -- Davante Adams' current campaign would rank 1,186th within the group.

But you could actually argue that Adams is having -- pretty easily, too -- the worst season our database has ever seen. Because, as you know, poor wide receiver play often has a lot to do with quarterback performance, too.

And when you look at the wide receiver situations among the guys ranked below Adams, it's very clear -- and I mean very clear -- that Adams is in the best situation of them all. Take a look at the chart below which depicts each of these wide receivers, as well as the individual wideout's team schedule-adjusted Passing NEP per drop back average that season.

He averaged 5.19 yards per target that year. That's all-time bad. No other Packers receiver since 1992 has averaged below 6.0 ypc. The only one who even averaged below 7.0 was Greg Jennings in his rookie year during the catastrophic 2006 season...and he still averaged nearly a full yard (about 20%) more at 6.07.

People tend to forget just how bad the receivers, particularly Davante, were in 2015 because he's rebounded since.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't say they should replace them for their entire careers or the entire season: I said Cobb needed to be benched to recover from his injury and Adams needed to be benched to get his head together.

Also, I'm not exaggerating about Adams' struggles, since I didn't write the article.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has targeted Adams 64 times this year, and Adams has caught just 32 of those passes. We've seen worse catch rates than that among higher-volume receivers, to be clear, but most of the wideouts who see that low of catch rates also have accumulated high yards per reception averages. In other words, they're deep ball threats -- their catch rates are lower because they're seeing lower percentage throws.

Adams isn't one of those deep ball guys, as he has a 10.1 yards per reception average right now. Since targets started being recorded back in 1992, per Pro Football Reference, only 17 wide receivers have averaged 11 or fewer yards per reception with a 50% (or worse) catch rate while seeing 60 or more targets in a season.

Davante Adams is one of those players.

And among this group of 17 -- remember, these are guys who have caught 50% or fewer of their targets while seeing 60 or more targets -- Adams' 10.1 yards per reception rate is fifth worst.

Predictably, this has translated to our advanced analytics. Since the turn of the century, 1,198 wide receivers have caught 30 or more passes, excluding this season. In terms of Reception NEP per target -- our per-target efficiency metric -- Davante Adams' current campaign would rank 1,186th within the group.

But you could actually argue that Adams is having -- pretty easily, too -- the worst season our database has ever seen. Because, as you know, poor wide receiver play often has a lot to do with quarterback performance, too.

And when you look at the wide receiver situations among the guys ranked below Adams, it's very clear -- and I mean very clear -- that Adams is in the best situation of them all. Take a look at the chart below which depicts each of these wide receivers, as well as the individual wideout's team schedule-adjusted Passing NEP per drop back average that season.

He averaged 5.19 yards per target that year. That's all-time bad. No other Packers receiver since 1992 has averaged below 6.0 ypc. The only one who even averaged below 7.0 was Greg Jennings in his rookie year during the catastrophic 2006 season...and he still averaged nearly a full yard (about 20%) more at 6.07.

People tend to forget just how bad the receivers, particularly Davante, were in 2015 because he's rebounded since.

Cobb was injured during the game vs. the Cardinals, benching him before that would have been stupid. I'm not denying Adams had a bad season in 2015 but I definitely don't agree it was the worst season of a starting receiver ever.

Members online

Latest posts