What Happened in Green Bay - Bleacher Report

InGuteWeTrust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so on this item there's a disagreement. guess we'll see. i wonder how many were in the room. one had to be the source. i hope murphy had the guts to tell rodgers that.
Well, if it matters Gute said like 3 months ago now that he was the one that called Rodgers to inform him they were hiring Matt LaFleur. I'm not sure if Gute directed Aaron to then call LaFleur but Aaron did then call Matt. This was before Matt knew he was hired, because LaFleur said in his introductory news conference that it was because Aaron called him that he knew the Packers were really interested in him.

Later Murphy called LaFleur to inform him he was hired. Who knows when and if the Murphy and Rodgers infamous call took place. I'm sure Aaron will be asked about Dunne's article soon. I hope he laughs and says "Don't waste your time reading crap like that"

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if it matters Gute said like 3 months ago now that he was the one that called Rodgers to inform him they were hiring Matt LaFleur. I'm not sure if Gute directed Aaron to then call LaFleur but Aaron did then call Matt. This was before Matt knew he was hired, because LaFleur said in his introductory news conference that it was because Aaron called him that he knew the Packers were really interested in him.

Later Murphy called LaFleur to inform him he was hired. Who knows when and if the Murphy and Rodgers infamous call took place. I'm sure Aaron will be asked about Dunne's article soon. I hope he laughs and says "Don't waste your time reading crap like that"
at the introductory presser murphy said they asked rodgers to reach out to lafleur.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care who it comes/came from between Murphy, Gute, or even LeFleur, someone needed to tell Rodgers to not be the problem or part of the problem. As long as they weren't disrespectful or condescending that's a positive conversation.

I may not earn millions of dollars a year, but as a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Army, I do have lives on the line as well as millions of dollars in equipment. So whether it's coming from me or my superiors, that's a positive conversation as long as respect isn't lost vertically in either direction. When changes have been made or are coming down the line, it's with the intent of accomplishing the mission. In the case of the Packers, the mission is winning a Super Bowl(s). Regardless, respect the decision makers/powers-that-be and be apart of the solution, not the problem.

With the exception of Murphy(who seems to have finally woken up from his coma last year), Rodgers is the only common denominator remaining. I'd say by the bye week we should have a decent enough sample size to know if Rodgers has bought-in or not. If 2019 falls short of a 9-7 record(Because I think the current roster is capable of a 9-7 up to 11-5 season based on 2019 opponents plus I believe the Gute/LeFleur combination deserves 2 Draft/FA Classes), I think whatever blame Rodgers may receive is justified.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 pages in here is what we have. People who have been saying for a while Rodgers is the problem believe Dunne's report for the most part - at least more than those who have refuted it (which are plenty of people). People who dont see Rodgers as the main part of the problem dont believe some key parts of Dunne's report because they were refuted by others. People who were blaming McCarthy believe most of the report and to be honest that was pretty much everyone to an extent so that part isnt as big of deal. Who couldnt see these responses coming?

Reaction score
Lost what buddy?
Sorry that sounded depressing.
I meant lost games. I just it’s that simple. We were possibly 1 playmaker or a couple of guys stepping up away from putting together a winning season

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
1) I didn't say that all the problems are now gone.

2) There are lots of players not currently on the team who played after that era and could have said something if they wanted to (Sitton, Lang, Nelson, Cobb, Tretter, Lacy, Starks, etc).

3) It's possible that while the McCarthy/Rodgers situation remained a disaster, Rodgers may have learned to relate to his teammates more amicably as he got older. It's also possible that that's not the case.

4) All of this is speculation.
Quit being so damn logical. Ruins a good story.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Seems to me McLardy isnt getting proper respect for developing Rodgers ...

I remember when Rodgers was drafted and The coaching staff in GB had to pretty much change Rodgers entire throwing stance/motion.

I never was fond of McLardy, however, putting all The blame on him is naive and borderline ignorant. The players have a huge fault in this AS well ...

But for a team without clear onfield leaders its a tough Road to walk, because it requires alot of self-discipline to hold yourself to higher standards ...
You'd be hard pressed to find any serious, logical person out there who has even the slightest bit of knowledge about the first three years of Rodgers try to make the claim that McCarthy and the coaching staff didn't get the proper respect for developing Rodgers.

I have absolutely no idea where you're dreaming up the narrative that there are some that think McCarthy doesn't get credit for this, but am I surprised that you are, yet again, manufacturing an anti-Rodgers post? Not even in the slightest.

You were slightly entertaining at first. But your anti-Rodgers schtick has more than run its course.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a terrible idea letting a journalist dictate personnel moves.

Abbrederis and Janis definitely weren't better options than Cobb or Adams in 2015.

Abby was pretty good but he had problems staying on the field. Is he still in the league somewhere...? Janis was all speed but not much else.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a lifelong Packers fan I hate to hear this news, but I can honestly say I've "felt" that this has been going on since McCarthy was hired. EVERYONE laughed at me when I said that McCarthy is a terrible coach and that Rodgers has a massive ego, and both should be let go. Now the truth finally comes out...

I still want Rodgers as our QB but would not at all be opposed to sending him packing if he isn't willing to be coached, because that is not the Green Bay way.

I think Rodgers wants to be coached as long as he respects his superior. He was super disappointed when Clements and Van Pelt left. Thank goodness VP is back.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't pull any punches, about the writer or ex players.

"This was a smear attack by a writer looking to advance his career talking with mostly irrelevant, bitter players who all have an agenda whether they're advancing their own careers or just trying to stir old stuff up," Rodgers said. "What happens is the same tired media folks picking it up and talking about it. This just emphasized their opinion about me already. So it's ... the crazy thing is there's super-slanted opinions in that piece stated as facts, and then there's quote-unquote facts which are just outright lies."

I dont think Finley, Jennings and Rodgers are going to grab a beer together anytime soon

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"This was a smear attack by a writer looking to advance his career talking with mostly irrelevant, bitter players who all have an agenda whether they're advancing their own careers or just trying to stir old stuff up," Rodgers said. "What happens is the same tired media folks picking it up and talking about it. This just emphasized their opinion about me already. So it's ... the crazy thing is there's super-slanted opinions in that piece stated as facts, and then there's quote-unquote facts which are just outright lies."

I dont think Finley, Jennings and Rodgers are going to grab a beer together anytime soon
Nor should he want to with those bums! As has been nothing short of classy in regards to handling what these two clowns have said regarding him.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Not surprisingly Rodgers doesnt agree with the article. His logic in places is pretty hard to argue with

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26473333/rodgers-disputes-reported-feud-mccarthy

If readers had applied any logic while readin Dunne's steaming pile this ******* piece of fiction would have gotten no traction at all.

Thing is Dunne's pile acted as a bias confirmation for a good many of Packers' fans who just needed SOMEBODY to blame.

If you're familiar with the concept of "the big lie" but could never quite wrap your head around it, this is a perfect illustration.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this a serious post or are you being sarcastic?

Rodgers is what he is.. an uber talented athlete who wants to win, and thinks his way is best when he see's that his coach doesn't have the answers. Alex Van Pelt pushing Rodgers and having him leave because MM was jealous points to that.

Bron is that way, Jordan is that way, Kobe was that way.. that's what you get.

Turn on your sarcasm detector.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good. Rodgers went all out like he should have. It's hilarious to me that Jennings has to the nerve to call Rodgers sensitive ... yet cant let what that comment go. He's made a 2nd career off trying to bash Rodgers, and is shocked that after years of bashing that he doesn't wanna have a sit-down with that dude.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So according to James Jones, according to him Rodgers had permission to change plays by McCarthy. And also they would run many different offensive schemes in practice, but not in actual games. Again in my estimation this crap will go away once we start winning.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And Rodgers isn't the first nor the last starting NFL QB to change plays during a game. How come when he does it it is a scandal because he is undermining his HC but not when others do the same thing (and I'm not just talking about Packers fans here)?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing how some of you are totally “blind” and outright refuse to acknowledge that Rodgers is NOT without Blame ...

It is an almost certainty that a coach/GM like Belichick would NOT accept The behaviour Rodgers has displayed. Just look at The long list of players that have been shipped off from NE bevandrede they either had an attitude problem, demanded too Much Money or both ...

Now, I’ve never been a fan of neither McLardy nor Rodgers, however, - as I’ve Stated numerous times, while Rodgers is an extremely talented qb, Rodgers has never been (and most likely never Will be) a Leader, especially NOT untill he changes his attitude and demeanor.

I hope I am wrong, but I Honestly Think we’ll see Rodgers and Lafleur butting heads sooner rather than later ... - especially if what was relayed about Murphy telling Rodgers before The Packers hired Lafleur ...

I'm totally blind because I totally disagree with you.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe both sides can accept some blame,BUT... majority falls on McCarthy and HIS complacency. Telling everyone the QB room was where it needed to be after the Barr hit and how we played like hot garbage last year. No wonder he got so mad when the term “complacency” was mentioned by Murphy. He looked in the mirror and knew he was the reason and the root of it. As far as AR goes, I do not blame him for one moment for jumping in people’s faces when he was the one laying it on the line for the team all those years. And last year he was like any of the rest of us would have been. Why put your career and body on the line if the organization nor coach had your back or tried to help you out.

The buck usually starts and ends with the guy in charge. Rodgers was to blame for some of it when things go south in sports the HC/manager is the one who usually gets canned.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't have a beer with Jennings or Finley either.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing surprising there.

The Packers would back the story up and dispute the Murphy/AR call that's causing trouble. Look for it later this week.

Lots of independent issues that paint a far worse picture together, incorrectly.

- Us firing MM the way we did. Shameful. Ridiculously bad decision by front office.
- AR comments after the game and MMs calls.
- Couple of old players with a grudge.

Just a messy mix of random stuff.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If readers had applied any logic while readin Dunne's steaming pile this ******* piece of fiction would have gotten no traction at all.

Thing is Dunne's pile acted as a bias confirmation for a good many of Packers' fans who just needed SOMEBODY to blame.

If you're familiar with the concept of "the big lie" but could never quite wrap your head around it, this is a perfect illustration.

dunne's article, and his sources, pointed blame at everyone. do you not believe the O had grown stagnant and predictable? do you not believe thompson's failing health and philosophy lead to a talent drain? rodgers himself, in that response, didn't deny they disagreed about stuff. he didn't dispute that he freezes-out players, holds grudges, etc.. i've never read anything that said the Packers worried about his leadership. the dunne article mentioned the team losing vocal leaders (because of thompson) and others haven't stepped up. players on good terms with rodgers have said he's not a vocal guy. he disputes the phone call characterization. that's fair. until dunne's source goes on record we'll never know for sure (company-line and all). so he disputes a few things but didn't refute things either...a typical "a" said/"b" said.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts