What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side note

'However, the asking price is reportedly more than the Jets believe they should give up for a player the Packers have said they no longer want.'

I mean... by nature if you are trading a player you really don't want them. I buy a new car and have a used one, I don't just give away the old car because I don't have a need for it. I try to get value out of it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s something to be said for getting a couple players that we could use whom we’ve seen play in the NFL who are under contract - maybe on a rookie deal- and 2024 draft picks and make it a June 1st deal. I know nothing about the Jets roster but if they are “a QB away” from being a contender and they’re going to sign Lazard maybe Cobb maybe OBJ they MIGHT have a WR we can use. Take their 2024 first round pick. Might it be late? Yes. It also might not be - it’s still a first round pick and GB might get better total value taking this approach than insisting on #13. Might be more immediate help this year, cushion the cap hit and more value picks down the road

Reaction score
Swapping firsts is a bad option for the Packers. It counts as compensation but the payoff is dubious. Can you really make a case that the chances of landing a difference maker at 15 is that much worse than 13. Those picks are too close together to squander the draft capital is takes to move up a paltry two places. Moving two places from 3 to 1 makes a difference if a team is going after a QB but swapping 13 and 15 is dubious.
To a point I agree. One scenario where it’s not dubious is in a trade back. While it sounds splitting hairs, it’s the equivalent of you giving me #15 + #100 (3rd Round Comp)

In a case where both parties are stalemate, it’s enough of an excuse to move forward and give the other party and “out” on their pride.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been thinking about compensation. How about Elijah Moore and their second?
We could take Van Ness at 15. And if we wanted a Darnell Washington we could trade one of the seconds and either a third or a fourth to move up. And we still could have a second for an offensive tackle or safety.
We could have 4 starters in:
Van Ness
Moore
Washington
Safety/right tackle
But the Jets would have to absorb a lot of contract.

Reaction score
Been thinking about compensation. How about Elijah Moore and their second?
We could take Van Ness at 15. And if we wanted a Darnell Washington we could trade one of the seconds and either a third or a fourth to move up. And we still could have a second for an offensive tackle or safety.
We could have 4 starters in:
Van Ness
Moore
Washington
Safety/right tackle
But the Jets would have to absorb a lot of contract.
It’s not a terrible deal there, but the Jets would easily have the upper hand. Aaron is still better than any QB available by a mile and he’s under contract for several seasons so he’s GB’s.

I still feel like Rodgers is worth a #13 plus a 3rd this year or 2nd rounder next year etc..
If they gave us Moore and a #43, plus sweetened it with a Day 3 Selection in 2023 (4th/5th)
I’d make a Compromise.

If the Jets walk away from Rodgers over essentially A pair of 2nd Rounders, they aren’t half as smart as they think they are.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another scenario I’ve heard is that GB has “no leverage” because they’ve said they don’t want Rodgers anymore. Thus his owed money is essentially enough.

Here’s my answer to that.
If I owned a Ford Shelby GT500 Cobra and I decide I’d rather drive my new Dodge Challenger Hellcat and I’ve already bought it. If owning both isn’t preferable for me because it’s kinda financially tight (but I can certainly make the payments on both).
Does that make my Shelby worth less $$ on the open market because I told you I already have a Hellcat and I prefer moving on with that one?? If it’s the only Cobra left this year? Is it worth less?

These New Yorkers are Shysters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Last year for instance...there was a run on WRs so New Orleans gave up #16, #98, and #12 to move up to #11 and get Chris Olave.

I know it's a typo but just for the record before anyone freaks out about it. The Saints gave up the 120th pick on top of the 16th and 98th to move up to 11th.

Reaction score
While I don't expect to get anything like we were rumored to get if we had traded him last year, or what Seattle got in the Russel Wilson trade, I am hoping for at least this year's first round pick and a 2nd or 3rd round pick, preferably a conditional pick, in 2024.

If we can't get that I hope Gute waits until after June 1st and demands a player, preferably one of their WRs, along with a decent draft pick (2nd to 4th rd.) in 2024 and 2025.

I feel like at the very least we should at least get two draft picks, with one of them being at least a 2nd rounder and the other being a 3rd or 4th rounder.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People need to R-E-L-A-X. Rodgers wants to play for the Jets, GB wants Rogers to play for the Jets, the Jets want Rogers to play for the Jets. There’s NO rush in getting this done from Green Bays perspective, if it takes a week or two fine. Green Bay and the Jets have to make a deal and Rodgers and the Jets have to make a deal. The league may have to buy off on some cap interpretations. Reading a bunch of stuff into off the cuff comments makes no sense. I feel pretty confident progress is being made towards a deal.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt says he expects a deal to be agreed upon in a week or 2. I trust him more than the schefters and Rappaports. Both sides will probably bend a little. I could see flipping #15 for #13 and getting the jets 2nd rd pick..maybe even a young player thrown in on the jets side.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt says he expects a deal to be agreed upon in a week or 2. I trust him more than the schefters and Rappaports. Both sides will probably bend a little. I could see flipping #15 for #13 and getting the jets 2nd rd pick..maybe even a young player thrown in on the jets side.
:)

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as it is Elijah Moore. I think the Packers would be willing to pay more of Rodgers contract for a higher draft pick. But the Jets would sooner pay more rather than give up compensation. So your proposal would be like meeting in the middle.
I think this is the big hold up.
And with the Packers restructuring all their contracts, it gives me the impression that they are willing to pay for higher compensation.

D

Deleted member 6794

As long as it is Elijah Moore. I think the Packers would be willing to pay more of Rodgers contract for a higher draft pick. But the Jets would sooner pay more rather than give up compensation. So your proposal would be like meeting in the middle.
I think this is the big hold up.
And with the Packers restructuring all their contracts, it gives me the impression that they are willing to pay for higher compensation.

I highly doubt the Packers are interested in paying a cent of Rodgers' salary if they trade him.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
If I owned a Ford Shelby GT500 Cobra and I decide I’d rather drive my new Dodge Challenger Hellcat and I’ve already bought it. If owning both isn’t preferable for me because it’s kinda financially tight (but I can certainly make the payments on both).
Does that make my Shelby worth less $$ on the open market because I told you I already have a Hellcat and I prefer moving on with that one?? If it’s the only Cobra left this year? Is it worth less?

The biggest problem with your argument is that a Shelby Cobra will appreciate in value while Aaron Rodgers' value in the NFL will be zero in a year or two.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any trade with the Jets will not include Elijah Moore. Would you have traded pick #45 for Moore and pick #74 if you were Gute? Does this free the Jets up to offer pick 43 now?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know the second the news broke of the Jets acquiring that additional second rounder I personally believed that was the beginning of the trade snowball finally picking up steam and we were headed towards a two - second round picks as the top of the trade for Rodgers...

...I'm still in that thought process but truthfully I see only two main directions this thing goes:

1 - Traded for the Jets two 2nd rounders in 2023 as the main chunk of the package. Yes conditionals or future picks will be involved and possibly some depth level players but those two picks are the centerpiece if you will. I've shared thoughts on this type of package but essentially I envision both 2nds this year, conditional Day 2 pick 2024 and perhaps a conditional 2025 if Rodgers plays in 2024 for them (few lower level Depth players possibly sent our way like Denzel Mims). Packers would ship Rodgers, perhaps as high as one of our 5ths back to them and a 7th this year...plus maybe a late day 3 pick in 2024 too.

2 - We truly don't do anything until Post-June 1st. This would save the Packers about $14M to this year's cap by spreading the hit...BUT means ZERO draft equity return from this year's draft and the only this year return would be players in the deal AND/OR signed with the saved money. The draft equity is pushed to 2024 and likelihood more will come back due to Jets picks being worse than this year's picks they hold as they would be expected to be improved. This option has benefits to both teams - Jets don't just not have to come off the 13th pick but they truly push everything in on Rodgers, but also can continue to surge their roster with young talent with three top 50 picks and even if Rodgers is only there for one year they would have a surplus even more so of young talented roster you would think. Packers benefit fiscally and set up a lot of draft equity in 2024 should Jordan Love prove to be a flop and you have to push to a QB...that plan could be the only thing that saves Gute's job should the team falter in 2024 if he can right the ship then.

I know I've toed the line on some islands over the years - been right some and been wrong some...I'm truly beginning to think #2 could be the smarter of the options here from a future perspective of GB. Get back some player haul this year, add cap space for couple signings, build up 2024 draft equity and roll. Perhaps you can get the Jets to send back a collection perhaps some of these: Carl Lawson, Corey Davis, Jeremy Ruckert and Denzel Mims. Rework Lawson and Davis's contracts with small extensions if you want and Mims is a lowball dice roll in a room you have a lot of space in....if Ruckert was included he's a second year TE out of Ohio State we know Gute liked and again is a room we need some bodies in. If you told me Gute spun Rodgers into say Carl Lawson, Jeremy Ruckert and say Mims on the roster this year + a 2024 1st and a 2024 3rd or 4th....maybe a Day 3 conditional in 2025 I think you gotta take it.

**2B Option**- The Packers instead of pieces ask for a "high level" ceiling guy and do a post June 1st trade centered around Jermaine Johnson (Jets first rounder last year) and then some 2024 draft return. This would depend heavily on if Gute saw Jermaine as first round type prospect and therefore a first round level return or so. Johnson was a rotational guy last year in his rookie campaign so would the Jets be okay walking from him in order to bring Rodgers in? IMO yes, they have three top 50 picks and IMO they can easily grab one of the top ten edge guys with one of those picks to fill that hole left potentially.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

**2B Option**- The Packers instead of pieces ask for a "high level" ceiling guy and do a post June 1st trade centered around Jermaine Johnson (Jets first rounder last year) and then some 2024 draft return. This would depend heavily on if Gute saw Jermaine as first round type prospect and therefore a first round level return or so. Johnson was a rotational guy last year in his rookie campaign so would the Jets be okay walking from him in order to bring Rodgers in? IMO yes, they have three top 50 picks and IMO they can easily grab one of the top ten edge guys with one of those picks to fill that hole left potentially.

I highly doubt the Jets would be interested in trading one of their first round picks from last year when it seems pretty obvious they don't plan on giving up their first rounder this year. Even if they are that should be a cautionary tale for the Packers as to why they would agree to it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the Jets would be interested in trading one of their first round picks from last year when it seems pretty obvious they don't plan on giving up their first rounder this year. Even if they are that should be a cautionary tale for the Packers as to why they would agree to it.

Not at all, it’s one avenue post June first to protect their preservation of picks. Honeslty such a deal could even be ironed in post draft truly.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just in case the owners meetings does speed things up here is my latest answer to the thread topic question. NYJ get AR and a 2023 7th. GB gets 2023 2nd & 6th + a minimal player and a 2024 conditional 5th. Could become a 4th or fall to a 6th depending on conditions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just in case the owners meetings does speed things up here is my latest answer to the thread topic question. NYJ get AR and a 2023 7th. GB gets 2023 2nd & 6th + a minimal player and a 2024 conditional 5th. Could become a 4th or fall to a 6th depending on conditions.
That does not sound like much.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As MLF might say "we need to temper our expectations" for this trade.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article on Packerswire.com, quoting a Yahoo Sports article by Charles Robinson claims the following:

"Other parts of the currently proposed deal, per Robinson: the Packers would get a second-round pick in 2023 and a 2024 conditional pick that could go up to a first-rounder based on how well the Jets do next season.

"...the New York Jets are seeking protection in the form of a conditional draft pick from the Green Bay Packers. ... the Jets would get some form of draft pick compensation from the Packers in 2025 if Rodgers does not play during the 2024 season."

I'm VERY onboard with this, if it's true. Packers send AR to NYJets for a '23 2nd rounder and a conditional '24 pick topping out at a 1st (most likely with a SB win?). Guessing '24 would be a 3rd, moving to a 2nd for either playoff berth or AFCCG?

The current "sticking point" is that if AR retires & doesn't play in '24 that the Jets want a conditional pick back in '25... which I'd also be OK with if it were a 5th or 4th max. Maybe our 3rd for their 4th (since Gute blows with 3rds, anyway)? Any higher than that doesn't seem reasonable to me.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not at all, it’s one avenue post June first to protect their preservation of picks. Honeslty such a deal could even be ironed in post draft truly.

Of course both teams could agree to a trade like that. But why would the Jets be interested in trading a first round pick from last year? And why should the Packers be interested in him if they want to give up on him after a single season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts