What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only 99 copies of the 2005 Ultimate Collection Card were created for Aaron Rodgers' rookie season. The special feature of this card is that it was made horizontal instead of vertical. This rare card can be worth about $1,500.

So what do you have to trade for any of those?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami or Eagles both are the teams with some serious draft capital to put best package together and both teams have or have the cash or a little of both to build a contender for sure.

Broncos have the best staff build and isn’t bad but man the Eagles and Dolphins can do awesome packages and still even have some left for themselves.

Reaction score
Miami or Eagles both are the teams with some serious draft capital to put best package together and both teams have or have the cash or a little of both to build a contender for sure.

Broncos have the best staff build and isn’t bad but man the Eagles and Dolphins can do awesome packages and still even have some left for themselves.
Yeah I like Denver and Miami to keep our distance Conference wise. I like our chances of an AFC contender knocking him out.
Obviously it’s up to Rodgers, but I think he realistically might sign at a 40-45mil range annual if he’s given proper guarantee to at least stay through 2024. They’d almost definitively have to walk ZaDarius, which is no surprise. But I think we’d also be able to keep converting bonus’ and pushing void seasons.
I could actually see a scenario where we keep Rodgers, Campbell, Cobb, Davante, Preston and a few other lower FA contracts.

HACK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly no player of this caliber has ever been traded so find the most anyone has ever given up for a guy and add to it
Super Bowl winning QB with 3 league mvps trade after 16 years

Brett Favre for a conditional 3rd

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've come down a tick with now thinking it isn't a guaranteed thing two 1st rounders in the package, but only due to I think you will see one if not two conditional future picks inclusive in the deal.

Example of my thought on what I'm doing if Rodgers says he wants out and Denver wants to win the pitch for Rodgers:

2022 First Rounder #9
2022 Second Rounder #64 (not their 40th overall...Denver will love this "concession")
2022 Third Rounder #75
2023 Second Rounder *Turns into First if they make it to the Super Bowl
2024 Fourth Rounder *Conditional escalators could climb it as high as a 1st should Rodgers play in 2023 and they win SB

This honestly leaves Denver this year's draft with their 40th overall in the second round, their 96th in the third and the rest of their draft intact.
Their 2023 draft is only initially void of their 2nd rounder *could escalate
Their 2024 draft is the same thing but a 4th with conditional escalations

I mean essentially if Rodgers and the Broncos do well escalators could turn the cost of Rodgers into three first rounders, a second and a third....but that would only be IF they go DEEP in the playoffs next two seasons...otherwise Rodgers and the chance at it cost them only one First Rounder, Two Seconds, a Third and a Fourth.

Rodgers age and his "hesitancy" in playing the last two years if I'm Denver makes me want more conditional insurance, but also willing to give more conditionally as well because that means it worked.

Reaction score
I've come down a tick with now thinking it isn't a guaranteed thing two 1st rounders in the package, but only due to I think you will see one if not two conditional future picks inclusive in the deal.

Example of my thought on what I'm doing if Rodgers says he wants out and Denver wants to win the pitch for Rodgers:

2022 First Rounder #9
2022 Second Rounder #64 (not their 40th overall...Denver will love this "concession")
2022 Third Rounder #75
2024 Fourth Rounder *Conditional escalators could climb it as high as a 1st should Rodgers play in 2023 and they win SB

This honestly leaves Denver this year's draft with their 40th overall in the second round, their 96th in the third and the rest of their draft intact.

I mean essentially if Rodgers and the Broncos do well escalators could turn the cost of Rodgers into three first rounders, a second and a third....but that would only be IF they go DEEP in the playoffs next two seasons...otherwise Rodgers and the chance at it cost them only one First Rounder, Two Seconds, a Third and a Fourth.

Rodgers age and his "hesitancy" in playing the last two years if I'm Denver makes me want more conditional insurance, but also willing to give more conditionally as well because that means it worked.
That’s fine is they want a security blanket. Yet asking for 1 guaranteed Day 1 selection would be discouraging.
I’d work it backwards and give them back a slightly lesser selection IF Aaron retires etc..
E.G, if Aaron bows out we’d refund 1 round later for each future trade beyond that.
They give us a
2022 #9 overall + 2nd rounder
2023 Day 1 + 3rd Rounder
2024 Day 1

In the event he doesn’t play after this season. we refund OUR
2023 2nd + 4th rounder
2024 2nd rounder

Keeping in mind our draft order will likely be far better without Aaron for a few years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2022 First Rounder #9
2022 Third Rounder #75

Apparently Rodgers has contract agreements in place with three teams which likely means he is willing to play for any of those teams. If he decides he wants out of Green Bay I presume the Packers will trade him to the highest bidder.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Rodgers has contract agreements in place with three teams which likely means he is willing to play for any of those teams. If he decides he wants out of Green Bay I presume the Packers will trade him to the highest bidder.

Yup sounds that way.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just sick and tired of the whole drama involving Aaron Rodgers. He is a bigger “Drama Queen “ than Brett! Just make up your greedy self-centered mind and let’s get on with things!

D

Deleted member 6794

Super Bowl winning QB with 3 league mvps trade after 16 years

Brett Favre for a conditional 3rd

The Packers found themselves in a significantly different situation in 2008 than they're in now though.

2022 First Rounder #9
2022 Third Rounder #75

That would be a great deal for the Broncos but a terrible one for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

What would the cap/dead money ramifications be if Rodgers was traded now?

The Packers trading Rodgers now would result in $67.6 million of dead money counting against their cap, an additional $39.1 million counting against their cap.

rbthomps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So its a question many of us have weighed in on and many of us even discussed last year. HOWEVER, let's lay out a few of the last big name trades to go down and the one that is supposedly still out there first:

Matthew Stafford Trade
This is perhaps the biggest and most "similar" trade to look to if you're the Packers and/or the team hoping to get him.
Rams gave up for Stafford - Two First Rounders (most assumed would be last 1/3 of the drafts) in future years (2022,2023), a 3rd round pick in the current draft at the time (2021) + Jared Goff (cap shed reasons solely included of course).

Stafford Got - Two First Round Picks, Third Round Pick and a "below average starter at their position because of cap reasons
*Adjusting/Applying this to Rodgers IMO defends the thoughts Rodgers at minimum given his level of play is worth the same as far as picks go...player additions are tough to gauge so I'll merely say this defends the concept of Two First Round Picks plus a Third Round Pick as bottomline. Stafford helping Rams lead his team to a SB IMO doesn't change this some but some would argue that his level of play brings his value more in line with Rodgers value as of today.

Carson Wentz Trade
This trade had some escalators that might elevate one of the picks to a 1st rounder (2022) instead of a 2nd...which were hit. Colts gave up a First Rounder and a Third Rounder

Carson Wentz Got - First Round Pick (2022) and a Third Round Pick (2021)
*This defends the concept of the Stafford IMO as well...if Wentz is worth a First and a Third, Rodgers at minimum is worth substantially more than this.

Deshaun Watson "Trade Discussions"
This is the delusional IMO sky type highside value for a player. Now arguably if legal things clear, Watson's age and skill do make him a more attractable QB.

The "desire" is Three First Round Picks + Three other picks ranging in value.

Speculations on the value of Rodgers I've seen range from as little as Two First Rounders...however the majority of the thoughts appear to be in the Two Day 1 Picks and a mixture of 2-4 Day 2 picks.

Personally, I don't believe you get the Three First Rounders, Two Seconds and players as Albert Breer wrote in December (HERE)...he is crazy high, and even includes some players in his deal.

I'm in the Two Day 1s and Two Day 2s (where one minimum is a 2nd) camp personally. It's more draft equity than Stafford garnered but not too terribly much. Now you could see more Day 2s come Green Bay's way, if say GB includes some Day 3 picks in the transaction which isn't uncommon in larger trades.

I must stress this is merely a thread to discuss what Rodgers is worth in a trade....this is not a debate of whether we should, this is not a debate of how many years Rodgers will play, his playoff record or anything else which can and is discussed everywhere else. This is purely a discussion of IF Rodgers is traded, what REALISTICALLY do you feel the return is?
2 first rounds and 2 second round picks

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe 2023 1st & 2nd rounders and either a 2024 1st or 2nd rounder + a player. Who the player is determines the 2024 pick.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 first rounds and 2 second round picks
This thread and the comment you responded to is last year…at which time I’d agree with your assessment…I however believe it strong now unless a few being conditional.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree that regardless of salary, it’s still very doable. The one thing in his favor was the lack of Top end QB’s last season and Tom Brady retiring doesn’t hurt.

My guess is a
2023 1st, 2nd, 4th
2024 2nd, 4th, 5th

It’s a little lighter based on Rodgers allowing a minimal number of City options so that lessens demand field.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In a trade, the 2023 picks that the Packers might be fine with, would really vary from team to team. For instance a trade to the Colts for their first and second this year, would be picks #4 and #35. Whereas trading for the same "2023 1st and a second" with the Jets, only gets the Packers the #13 and #43 picks. The Jets #4 pick is valued at close to being equal to the #13 and #28 picks combined.

I'm not a big fan of getting picks in next years 1st and 2nd rounds, but if it is with a team like the Raiders, their #7 this year and a first round in 2024, could be pretty valuable.

Reaction score
In a trade, the 2023 picks that the Packers might be fine with, would really vary from team to team. For instance a trade to the Colts for their first and second this year, would be picks #4 and #35. Whereas trading for the same "2023 1st and a second" with the Jets, only gets the Packers the #13 and #43 picks. The Jets #4 pick is valued at close to being equal to the #13 and #28 picks combined.

I'm not a big fan of getting picks in next years 1st and 2nd rounds, but if it is with a team like the Raiders, their #7 this year and a first round in 2024, could be pretty valuable.
Its a very good point. I would argue that their #7 overall all by itself is the equivalent of our 2023 1st and 2nd rounders combined or more. Maybe more because it’s an area teams jockey to get to that top 3-5 area for a QB.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk if Rodgers would consider the Colts the right situation for him to win another MVP. I think were looking at the Jets, Raiders, Dolphins, Vikings, 49ers, Seahawks, Bucs
...as teams Rodgers might agree to be traded to. As well as teams that might be interested in adding Rodgers to open a title window.

Id say the 49ers are probably his first choice and the best situation. The 9ers are the definition of a qb away and to be honest if they had just had one left uninjured, theyd probably still be playing

Seahawks probably best case for Packers as they have the most 2023 draft capital. How does #5, #20, #37 in 2023 and a 1st and 2nd in 2024 sound?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think trading Rodgers to an NFC team is off the table. especially the Niners. That would leave the Jets, Raiders, Titans. Colts and perhaps the Dolphins as potential partners. Rodgers would probably love to go to Las Vegas or Miami and may be fine with NY, but he could always threaten to retire if Gute wants to ship him to a team he feels isn't stocked with enough talent at WR and TE like the Titans or Colts when compared to the other three teams. The pool of potential teams to make a serious trade offer for Rodgers is limited, which will lower what they can get for him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think trading Rodgers to an NFC team is off the table. especially the Niners. That would leave the Jets, Raiders, Titans. Colts and perhaps the Dolphins as potential partners. Rodgers would probably love to go to Las Vegas or Miami and may be fine with NY, but he could always threaten to retire if Gute wants to ship him to a team he feels isn't stocked with enough talent at WR and TE like the Titans or Colts when compared to the other three teams. The pool of potential teams to make a serious trade offer for Rodgers is limited, which will lower what they can get for him.

But if the Packers FO has truly decided trading Rodgers is their best option ( must have a lot of faith in Love) then why should they limit themselves to the AFC ? Thus decreasing Rodgers value as you say and I agree would be the case if they did this.

Ultimately it may not matter as Im fairly certain that if Rodgers is truly available. The Raiders, Jets, and Dolphins will be among the teams willing to go all in to obtain a legitimate shot at a SB over the next few seasons

I think youre right Titans and Colts are out, they dont have the talent on the roster I think Rodgers would feel was the right situation

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But if the Packers FO has truly decided trading Rodgers is their best option ( must have a lot of faith in Love) then why should they limit themselves to the AFC ? Thus decreasing Rodgers value as you say and I agree would be the case if they did this.

Ultimately it may not matter as Im fairly certain that if Rodgers is truly available. The Raiders, Jets, and Dolphins will be among the teams willing to go all in to obtain a legitimate shot at a SB over the next few seasons

I think youre right Titans and Colts are out, they dont have the talent on the roster I think Rodgers would feel was the right situation
Limit to afc because if they face him worried revenge and knows all their tricks

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
if they face him worried revenge and knows all their tricks
That is why you trade him to an NFC team! Since, he would know the defensive "tricks", you fire Barry and bring in a new DC ;).

The same holds true for the Packers facing Rodgers, they would know all his tricks as well. If an NFC teams offers substantially more than an AFC team, I wouldn't worry too much about having to face him. Afterall, if he is on an AFC team, you might have to face him in the regular season and the Super Bowl.

Brett Favre wasn't a poison pill when he played for the Vikings. Here are his stats against the Packers:

Record: 2-2
Completions: 74 of 126 (58.7%)
Ave. Yds/ game: 233.8
Interceptions: 4
TD's: 8
Ave. Rating: 89.9

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only when you factor in the season when Favre was done. The prior season saw QB ratings in the 130 range give or take a couple for each game and 7TD's with zero INT's and 77% and 61% completion percentages. Would the season prior to that have been like that one, or the following year when age and injuries were really showing?

I think it was smart to move him out of the division at least. Rodgers had enough pressure on him that first year. Same as it will be for Love. I wouldn't trade him in the division and I would look for AFC first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts