What do you REALLY think Rodgers would garner in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ultimately, I want what is best for the team and if that means another "1 to how many years with Rodgers", great, let's do it. That said, I am not overly confident that keeping him, is the long term smart move for the organization. The cap situation has been getting worse, his trade value is plummeting and they are coming off an 8-9 season. Sometimes I feel like I am following "The Aaron Rodgers Packers". Love what he can do on the field, but I kind of look forward to the day, when most of the conversation centers around the team and not the 1 guy that seems to be steering it over the last 4+ years.

FTR I'd say even those vehemently in Rodgers' should be back camp know and recognize you do so for the now, and essentially don't care about the future. It just is what it is. Franchises make this call from time to time, it's a coin flip...if it pays off you're kings...if it doesn't you're Joan of Arc if you get my drift.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting to read articles about Davante Adams trying to recruit Rodgers to play in Las Vegas. Will the Raiders release Derek Carr before his entire 2023 salary + $7.5M of 2024 salary fully guarantees on 2/15/2023? I think they will almost have to, since I doubt another team wants to pick up that contract.

If the Raiders are interested in trading for Rodgers, will they sit around and wait until March for his decision on retirement? Will they look elsewhere? I know some are fine with Rodgers waiting until the new league year starts to announce his decision, but as soon as that SB is over, the talks between agents, players and teams begin, if they haven't already.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Franchises make this call from time to time, it's a coin flip...if it pays off you're kings...if it doesn't you're Joan of Arc if you get my drift.
By "pays off", do you mean winning a Super Bowl? Isn't that what the organization has been trying to do since they won their last? I guess I see an offense that has been slowly declining, as the key players have aged or are no longer with the team. Could 2023 be the year that if finally comes together? I have serious doubts on that.

Of course trading Rodgers will hurt the production of the team short term, but would help them in the rebuild process, with the draft capital gained by trading Rodgers. Imagine if they had traded him last season to Denver, for the same deal they gave the Seahawks for Wilson. They would have selected an additional #9 and #40 in last years draft. With Love at QB in 2022, Packers probably go 4-13, are sitting on picks #4 and #35 of their own, plus the Bronco's 1st and 2nd round picks (currently #5 and #37). Not to mention all the players the Seahawks got.

So the Seahawks trade away their franchise QB and still make the playoffs without him. Yes, Rodgers is a better QB than Wilson, but I have to say, the Seahawks made the right move at just the right time and with all the draft capital they received from the Broncos, are well on their way to being a contender again.

Losing Rodgers is inevitable, The Packers choosing how and when that happens is the smartest thing that the franchise can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By "pays off", do you mean winning a Super Bowl? Isn't that what the organization has been trying to do since they won their last? I guess I see an offense that has been slowly declining, as the key players have aged or are no longer with the team. Could 2023 be the year that if finally comes together? I have serious doubts on that.

Of course trading Rodgers will hurt the production of the team short term, but would help them in the rebuild process, with the draft capital gained by trading Rodgers. Imagine if they had traded him last season to Denver, for the same deal they gave the Seahawks for Wilson. They would have selected an additional #9 and #40 in last years draft. With Love at QB in 2022, Packers probably go 4-13, are sitting on picks #4 and #35 of their own, plus the Bronco's 1st and 2nd round picks (currently #5 and #37). Not to mention all the players the Seahawks got.

So the Seahawks trade away their franchise QB and still make the playoffs without him. Yes, Rodgers is a better QB than Wilson, but I have to say, the Seahawks made the right move at just the right time and with all the draft capital they received from the Broncos, are well on their way to being a contender again.

Losing Rodgers is inevitable, The Packers choosing how and when that happens is the smartest thing that the franchise can do.

I won't look back at the what if of Denver - should have happened, didn't moving along. LOL

I'd say "paying off" is getting the team to the Super Bowl. I truly think if say Raiders as a prime example of a bet now before losing some of the big players and a year after adding Davante...if they swing at Rodgers and make it out of that division and to the SB, giving the Raiders a shot at a ring...I don't believe it would be crazy to say their swing was worth it getting there....merit to saying to fully be worth it they gotta win it but you get what I'm saying.

My post wasn't a debate of what we should or shouldn't do, it was merely the fact even those that disagree with me about we need to trade Rodgers do also recognize at least the fact staying with him is a NOW thing solely.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The bad news for the Packers, many of the teams that are "so close to being a SB contender, if they had Rodgers", are also in the hunt for either being able to stand pat and pick one of the top QB's in the draft or possibly trade less assets then they would for Rodgers and move up to accomplish the same thing.

Of course, there is never a guarantee that picking one of the top QB's in the draft nets you a future HOF QB either and even less of a chance that it (high level of play) happens in his first year or two. Same could be said about trading for Rodgers. While yes, you are getting a FHOF QB, but will he play at a high level in 2023 and for how long and what did that cost your team in the future?

Each team that might be considering Rodgers in a trade, has a different situation. One thing is for sure though, if a team does trade for Rodgers, it will be them and not the Packers, that are risking a lot, for a shot at a short term gain.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Jets defense was insane, if their offense had simply scored like 21 points a game they’d won something like 13 games or so if I am remembering correctly.

If Favre hadn't torn his biceps the Jets were headed to the playoffs. I believe they started like 8-3 he tore his buceps and they finished 9-7

Reaction score
After recent reports. I believe the Packers would take somewhere in that #13 overall and a maybe a 2nd rounder or trade rounds
I also like someone else’s idea of a conditional 2024 selection, but a 2024 1st Rounder IF he plays in ‘24 and a 2nd Rounder minimum if he doesn’t.
So GB gets
2023 #13 area or equivalent
2023 2nd Rounder
2024 1st Rounder (2nd if he retires)

Jets get
2024 5th Rounder

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After recent reports. I believe the Packers would take somewhere in that #13 overall and a maybe a 2nd rounder or trade rounds
I also like someone else’s idea of a conditional 2024 selection, but a 2024 1st Rounder IF he plays in ‘24 and a 2nd Rounder minimum if he doesn’t.
So GB gets
2023 #13 area or equivalent
2023 2nd Rounder
2024 1st Rounder (2nd if he retires)

Jets get
2024 5th Rounder

Your years are off the conditional if he plays in the 2024 season would actually be for 2025 draft

Reaction score
Your years are off the conditional if he plays in the 2024 season would actually be for 2025 draft
Good stuff. Ok 2025 it is then!

Sign here and press real hard it goes through 4 copies!

PS. You’re going to be drooling if we get all these draft picks. :laugh:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff. Ok 2025 it is then!

Sign here and press real hard it goes through 4 copies!

PS. You’re going to be drooling if we get all these draft picks. :laugh:

Right!

I do strongly feel Gute needs to if we trade him has to walk through a 2025 conditional even if it is a Day round 5 starting and escalates depending.

Jets or Raiders I feel are going to happen and we are currently discussing structure of picks and what players if any….would love to see Mims or Ruckert coming from Jets as example.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys it’s gonna start at 2, 1st rounders. Jets have the capital, Oakland has been historically bad at trading their picks for players. Gute isn’t stupid. He knows there’s a need and it can be a bidding war. There will be a want for a generational talent albeit, an old one. Not only can Rodgers still play when healthy, he’s incredibly smart and knows this game and can read defenses better than anybody. Now, we all can sit here and say 2, 1sts is crazy but none of us will turn that down.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right!

I do strongly feel Gute needs to if we trade him has to walk through a 2025 conditional even if it is a Day round 5 starting and escalates depending.

Jets or Raiders I feel are going to happen and we are currently discussing structure of picks and what players if any….would love to see Mims or Ruckert coming from Jets as example.
Agreed, it’s a two team race and I’m willing to say it’ll be Oakland because it’s closer to home and Tae is there. Plus I don’t think he’ll want to be compared to Favre any more than he already is going to the Jets after a HOF career here. He’s too full of himself to let that happen. Maybe Raiders throw in Waller with whatever picks they send.

D

Deleted member 6794

Aaron Rodgers’s Indecisiveness Could ‘Complicate’ Trade Talks, per Report

Really a no brainer, but something to keep in mind, if and when the trade happens. It is hard enough to get too serious about trading a guy, that hasn't decided if he's retiring or not. Even worse for the Packers, this is Rodgers 3rd straight year of waffling on his own future, which no doubt will play heavy in the minds of any potential trade suitor. Just how much is that team going to want to give up in draft capital, players and cap space, for a guy that may be one and done?

Any general manager who doesn't realize that trading for a quarterback turning 40 years old during next season might end up being for only a single year is a complete moron.

Sometimes I feel like I am following "The Aaron Rodgers Packers". Love what he can do on the field, but I kind of look forward to the day, when most of the conversation centers around the team and not the 1 guy that seems to be steering it over the last 4+ years.

You will be disappointed to find out that once Rodgers is gone most talk about the Packers will still focus on the starting quarterback.

The bad news for the Packers, many of the teams that are "so close to being a SB contender, if they had Rodgers", are also in the hunt for either being able to stand pat and pick one of the top QB's in the draft or possibly trade less assets then they would for Rodgers and move up to accomplish the same thing.

If Rodgers is available via trade this offseason he's by far the most talented quarterback available considering short term implications.

If Favre hadn't torn his biceps the Jets were headed to the playoffs. I believe they started like 8-3 he tore his buceps and they finished 9-7

@tynimiller was talking about the 2022 Jets defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's just odd that people that hate hearing about Rodgers so much, seek out so much Aaron Rodgers stuff. I mean who else would willingly carve out time from their week, every week to listen to the guy talk for over an hour, when they're sick of hearing about him and from him? Who does that? It's funny, I've been called a Rodgers lover and Apologist because they confuse defending against their ******** as some sort of love fest for the QB, they can have their fantasies I guess. But they're the ones willingly consuming everything they can find on the guy on a daily and weekly basis. Ironic isn't it?

They fall for the media driven narrative to feed their own narrative of just how bad Aaron Rodgers is. The notion that an NFL QB facing a season of football at 40 might not be back is so detrimental to a team or other teams that they're just spinning in mud with no direction because of it is laughable really LOL. Quit being so gullible and naive. Our own team has been preparing for this for at least 3 years now and you think they don't have plans. Other teams know exactly what the deal is and have planned for it should the opportunity arise. It's not extra work, it's normal in the life of an NFL GM. It's all risk and gamble. FA, re-signing vets, trades, draft etc. They all have different scales, but they all have plans.

Myself, I wouldn't gamble on David Carr vs Rodgers, it would be a move for Rodgers or find someone to develop or hope they take off right away. But that's me. Some other GM might be up all night deciding if they should gamble on Carr vs Rodgers. Some other GM is deciding on what to do at RT should other guys become available, what it would take to get them, or who to target in the draft. Others what to do at RB, WR, they have the 1st pick but they guy they want might be available with the 5th should they trade it etc.

But they write a story and all sorts of people latch on. Rodgers could say he wants to play 4 more years and you know what that would do to my plans as an NFL GM? Nothing because I fully realize the situation of a 40 year old QB and injury and desire and retirement etc. I'm pretty confident the guys who have actually become NFL GM's are aware as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's just odd that people that hate hearing about Rodgers so much, seek out so much Aaron Rodgers stuff. I mean who else would willingly carve out time from their week, every week to listen to the guy talk for over an hour, when they're sick of hearing about him and from him? Who does that? It's funny, I've been called a Rodgers lover and Apologist because they confuse defending against their ******** as some sort of love fest for the QB, they can have their fantasies I guess. But they're the ones willingly consuming everything they can find on the guy on a daily and weekly basis. Ironic isn't it?

Just because I'm sick at times of a guys' approach to discussions or life, doesn't mean I stop listening to them? In the end he is the QB of my team, and honestly until he isn't I'll always tune in 100% of the time. I also refuse to place more weight in rumor tweets than the words he actually chooses to let leave his lips...not too mention body language and such is something you cannot get just from text. Although I guess that actually makes me align somewhat with your place of thoughts - trust more in words spoken than the swirl of media stuff.

FTR I actually at times love Rodgers' thought process and reflections on things - especially when not specifically talking about the current "drama".

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of course, there is never a guarantee that picking one of the top QB's in the draft nets you a future HOF QB either and even less of a chance that it (high level of play) happens in his first year or two. Same could be said about trading for Rodgers. While yes, you are getting a FHOF QB, but will he play at a high level in 2023 and for how long and what did that cost your team in the future?

Each team that might be considering Rodgers in a trade, has a different situation. One thing is for sure though, if a team does trade for Rodgers, it will be them and not the Packers, that are risking a lot, for a shot at a short term gain.
I don’t think Tampa Bay, the Rams, or Broncos regret those short term situations. Although the Rams were the only team that had to pay a kings ransom. Times certainly have changed. Favre would have fetched a lot more in today’s climate. Teams are starving for a championship. And hopefully they are willing to break the bank to do so.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because I'm sick at times of a guys' approach to discussions or life, doesn't mean I stop listening to them? In the end he is the QB of my team, and honestly until he isn't I'll always tune in 100% of the time. I also refuse to place more weight in rumor tweets than the words he actually chooses to let leave his lips...not too mention body language and such is something you cannot get just from text. Although I guess that actually makes me align somewhat with your place of thoughts - trust more in words spoken than the swirl of media stuff.

FTR I actually at times love Rodgers' thought process and reflections on things - especially when not specifically talking about the current "drama".
Of course there's nothing wrong with hearing things right from him. I happen to think Rodgers is a decent and more thoughtful than most person. I don't always agree with his decisions, but I don't have to either. I don't tune in to hear it because other than if he's back or not, it doesn't concern me much anymore.

That's me. But others? It was more directed at the people that come here to tell us how sick of it they are, yet tune in weekly and consume about every obscure news article, meme, tweet, etc and then again tell us how sick of it they are. There's a difference between appreciating a thought process and you like listening to someone have a conversation and tuning in so you can hear the outcome you want and then when you don't you come back and tell us all how sick of it you are.

I just find it odd.
we're just different. I don't see any current drama other than what the media keeps fueling. Drama to me is unexpected or unnecessary. Some might find it that way, but I see a team that has been planning for something like this for 3 years at least. Some fans seem to think this is just happening now.

And I have been watching a QB that I know is so much closer to the end than the beginning, being done at any time was a real possibility in the past couple season, including this one. None of this is really unexpected to me. The media uses it to drive a narrative and people just seem to buy into it, over and over and over. Rodgers is causing everyone so much angst again, when i think it's only causing it in people that seek it.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, it’s a two team race and I’m willing to say it’ll be Oakland because it’s closer to home and Tae is there. Plus I don’t think he’ll want to be compared to Favre any more than he already is going to the Jets after a HOF career here. He’s too full of himself to let that happen. Maybe Raiders throw in Waller with whatever picks they send.
I think the situation at Rodger’s age can persuade him more than friendship. The Raiders are not even close to a quarterback away like the Jets are. That Raiders defense is a whole lot worse than the Packers. And will Josh Jacobs be coming back? What team has a better offensive line? I would give the edge to the Jets here. (But not by much)
Do you really see Rodgers playing for McDaniels over an offensive coordinator who he is comfortable with?
These are small questions that the Jets can use to persuade Rodgers.
And how much of the decision weighs on Rodgers head? If the Raiders throw in a better offer, but Rodgers says that I want to play for the Jets because they are closer, if not I will just retire. I am sure they already know. It would be nice if there was a third team that was close involved.
I am still leaning towards the Jets and would be shocked if the Raiders are nothing more than a ploy to up the price. They might not even be in the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oakland has been historically bad at trading their picks for players.
The Raiders have been really bad as of late using their draft picks as well. However, besides the Davante Adams connection, I don't see a lot of reasons they should throw more draft capital at Aaron Rodgers, they aren't just a QB away from a SB run.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t think Tampa Bay, the Rams, or Broncos regret those short term situations. Although the Rams were the only team that had to pay a kings ransom. Times certainly have changed. Favre would have fetched a lot more in today’s climate. Teams are starving for a championship. And hopefully they are willing to break the bank to do so.

While I see your logic, each situation was quite a bit different, than what teams are looking at in a trade for Rodgers. Mainly, age (years left of playing), salary and assets to acquire.

-TB didn't have to give up anything (besides salary), to go with a proven Tom Brady.

-The Rams were trading for a 32 year old QB, that was actually a very good QB, on a very bad team. The move not only resurrected Stafford's career, but proved that the Rams were just a QB away from winning a SB.

- The Broncos also traded for a much younger Wilson (33). The move so far appeared to be a bad one. But I would give it another year and new coaching.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am still leaning towards the Jets and would be shocked if the Raiders are nothing more than a ploy to up the price. They might not even be in the game.
Agree. The Raiders have the #7 pick in the draft. If they have a QB in mind, they would be much better off trading up, with all the assets they would use to otherwise acquire a 39 year old QB, to go get that young QB. As you pointed out, the Raiders aren't close to being a SB team, even with Rodgers.

If Gute really did shut the door on trading Rodgers to NFC teams, I think he made a very bad decision, in limiting the "bidding" to what probably is just a much smaller number of AFC teams.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The asking price for Rodgers needs to go up, dude just won another trophy! :coffee:

I thought that was pretty cool for him to do so well, especially in those conditions. As a crappy golfer myself I appreciate those who can actually play decently.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I thought that was pretty cool for him to do so well, especially in those conditions. As a crappy golfer myself I appreciate those who can actually play decently.

Yeah, he is a pretty good golfer and I can see him playing more and more, once he retires. I had the pleasure of playing behind Favre, his agent Bus Cook and 2 other guys once. He could smash a T-shot, but was pretty wild with it (and his cart). I guess much like the way he played football. Our group pretty much hurried up to each green, raked our putts and hurried to the next T box just to see Favre T off.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Raiders struggle to release their #7 overall pick and offer this offer below....OR would you rather take #7 overall and their unknown 1st rounder 2024. To me this is very tight hypothetical IMO

Raiders get:
Aaron Rodgers
Our last 2023 7th Rounder

Packers get:
2023 2nd Rounder #38
2023 3rd Rounder #70
2023 5th Round Comp Pick #174
2024 2nd Rounder
2024 3rd Rounder
Matthew Butler DL (rookie from Tennessee drafted in 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts