What do we do with the CB group?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would say that most curious of all of TT's decisions over the last two years was to let both Hayward and Hyde walk, even as the young players remained unproven and Shields got older and dealt with more concussions. It would seem that he doesn't value that nickel position, but what's a little odd about that is that both Randall and Rollins are best suited to it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would say that most curious of all of TT's decisions over the last two years was to let both Hayward and Hyde walk, even as the young players remained unproven and Shields got older and dealt with more concussions. It would seem that he doesn't value that nickel position, but what's a little odd about that is that both Randall and Rollins are best suited to it.

It would be awesome if you would enlighten me how I'm allowed to response to this post.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hyde's exit i believe was because he was a back up and he wasn't going to pay a back up starter money. hayward was a mistake. he thought he had a good replacement but was dead wrong. rollins lol. what's happened to that guy? he must be the last guy in the depth chart.

D

Deleted member 6794

hyde's exit i believe was because he was a back up and he wasn't going to pay a back up starter money. hayward was a mistake. he thought he had a good replacement but was dead wrong. rollins lol. what's happened to that guy? he must be the last guy in the depth chart.

Thompson made the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency as the cornerback position was a perceived strength at that point. In hindsight, it was obviously a mistake as Shields was lost for good as well as Randall and Rollins have struggled mightily. It seems the latter is currently only ahead of Pipkins on the depth chart.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How dare you mention something like that around here??? ;) You will definitely draw the ire of Amish, Mondio and Pike with that comment.

You know, Capt, I honestly thought you would have developed some level of football understanding at this point. I really did. But I see it still isn't quite clicking for you yet, but I think I am realizing something. We need to start working on basics matters and wait on the more abstract concepts like football.

With that in mind . . .

Lesson 1

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Hole in the ground

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson made the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency as the cornerback position was a perceived strength at that point.

Our 2014 roster was: Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Sam Shields, Davon House, Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Micah Hyde

We let Tramon Williams walk after 2014 season.

In 2015 we had Shields and Hayward as the starters with Randall, Rollins and Gunter as the understudies, which imo was the bare minimum as a loss would mean playing rookies.

In 2016, we let Hayward walk and had a huge leap of faith gamble on Randall and Rollins, which doesn't really make any sense. Shields was the only one who can be consistently depended upon and we didn't have any plans for his injury....and voila, he gets injured!

In 2017 we let another versatile player in Hyde walk which is just bonkers...knowing we also don't have Shields.

Hayward and Hyde imo was needless gambles that no smart GM should ever make.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our 2014 roster was: Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Sam Shields, Davon House, Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Micah Hyde

We let Tramon Williams walk after 2014 season.

In 2015 we had Shields and Hayward as the starters with Randall, Rollins and Gunter as the understudies, which imo was the bare minimum as a loss would mean playing rookies.

In 2016, we let Hayward walk and had a huge leap of faith gamble on Randall and Rollins, which doesn't really make any sense. Shields was the only one who can be consistently depended upon and we didn't have any plans for his injury....and voila, he gets injured!

In 2017 we let another versatile player in Hyde walk which is just bonkers...knowing we also don't have Shields.

Hayward and Hyde imo was needless gambles that no smart GM should ever make.

You have to consider that both Randall and Rollins had promising rookie seasons and Hayward wasn't performing anywhere close to the level he has since signing with the Chargers. With the salary cap in place it's impossible to keep every single player headed for free agency and I understand Thompson not being inclined to match the offers Hayward and Hyde received from other clubs, especially factoring both of them solely being nickel cornerbacks in Green Bay into evaluating those moves.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider that both Randall and Rollins had promising rookie seasons and Hayward wasn't performing anywhere close to the level he has since signing with the Chargers. With the salary cap in place it's impossible to keep every single player headed for free agency and I understand Thompson not being inclined to match the offers Hayward and Hyde received from other clubs, especially factoring both of them solely being nickel cornerbacks in Green Bay into evaluating those moves.

Obviously we can't retain every single player...but letting starters walk off for 3 consecutive years all in the same position, is plain dumb.

I can understand letting Tramon Williams walk. We were loaded at secondary end 2014 season.
Though not known as a career ender, Shields injury history is well known. Letting Hayward walk was nonsense.TT took a calculated gamble on R&R which backfired spectacularly.
And Hyde when we lost Shields and know R&Rs shortcomings, is just incomprehensible. We just rolled hoping the high draft pick will come good...esp after R&R debacle!

Kevin King is saving grace. If he had been a bust, I'd be there outside Lambeau holding fire TT placard. ;)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson made the right decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency as the cornerback position was a perceived strength at that point. In hindsight, it was obviously a mistake as Shields was lost for good as well as Randall and Rollins have struggled mightily. It seems the latter is currently only ahead of Pipkins on the depth chart.
uuummm...i just said that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously we can't retain every single player...but letting starters walk off for 3 consecutive years all in the same position, is plain dumb.

I can understand letting Tramon Williams walk. We were loaded at secondary end 2014 season.
Though not known as a career ender, Shields injury history is well known. Letting Hayward walk was nonsense.TT took a calculated gamble on R&R which backfired spectacularly.
And Hyde when we lost Shields and know R&Rs shortcomings, is just incomprehensible. We just rolled hoping the high draft pick will come good...esp after R&R debacle!

Kevin King is saving grace. If he had been a bust, I'd be there outside Lambeau holding fire TT placard. ;)

The Packers relied on Randall and Rollins developing into decent starting caliber cornerbacks by letting Williams and Hayward walk away in free agency in consecutive offseasons. Obviously that didn't work out as planned but I'm not criticizing Thompson for making those decision after the way both performed during the rookie campaigns.

In my opinion there was no reason to match the Bills' to re-sign Hyde to a deal similar to what he agreed for in Buffalo.

uuummm...i just said that.

WTF is wrong with some of the posters around here??? You said that letting Hayward walk away in free agency was a mistake. I disagree as Thompson didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make that decision and it was a smart move at that time not matching the Chargers' offer.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

WTF is wrong with some of the posters around here??? You said that letting Hayward walk away in free agency was a mistake. I disagree as Thompson didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make that decision and it was a smart move at that time not matching the Chargers' offer

And as a great friend of mine says "opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one and is entitled to one" ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

And as a great friend of mine says "opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one and is entitled to one" ;)

There's absolutely no doubt that everyone is entitled to having an opinion. It's ridiculous that it has become common for several members to take offense with any other reaction than hitting the agree button though. In addition it seems there are some regulars not even capable of fully comprehending their own posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

And some of the replies are becoming a bit too personal, so I`m mentioning it in a friendly way before it gets out of hand.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with some of the posters around here??? You said that letting Hayward walk away in free agency was a mistake. I disagree as Thompson didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make that decision and it was a smart move at that time not matching the Chargers' offer.
i didn't blame TT! i just said, as you just said, that it was a mistake. you read something into it that just wasn't there. smh

D

Deleted member 6794

i didn't blame TT! i just said, as you just said, that it was a mistake. you read something into it that just wasn't there. smh

I'm curious about who else you want to blame for not re-signing Hayward as that definitely falls on Thompson.

To clarify it for the umpteenth time I don't consider the Packers letting him walk away in free agency as at the time the cornerback position was considered to be a strength. Obviously it didn't work out well but TT didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make a decision.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious about who else you want to blame for not re-signing Hayward as that definitely falls on Thompson.

To clarify it for the umpteenth time I don't consider the Packers letting him walk away in free agency as at the time the cornerback position was considered to be a strength. Obviously it didn't work out well but TT didn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make a decision.
geesh. TT's decision was right at the time. i said that he thought he had a good replacement. we're not disagreeing. go back and look again.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm curious. Who are the 3 starters we let walk? I count one. And quite honestly Tramon was on the downslope and got a big deal from Cleveland nobody should've matched.

Hayward had LOST his starting job to Randall and was losing a lot of playing time to Rollins in the slot

And we all know Hyde was simply a good nickle/dime guy/back up Saftey. Still not a starter for us and damn if he didn't get paid a ton more then I would even thought about giving him. I mean sure he started for us but that was only after like 2/3 other guys got hurt

I'm happy Hayward got himself in a situation to showcase his skills but let's not act like he was tearing it up while he was here. As for Hyde we knew he had ball skills. Still want no part of him as a starting CB

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We may have thought of Randall and Rollins to be emerging stars, but I don't think $5M as an insurance policy by keeping Hayward would have been a bad move at all, even if we didn't know that he would be 10x the player either of our CBs currently are. Shields got hurt every single year, and solid depth would be needed at the very least. Giving $3M to a backup RB instead was just idiotic. It was a bad move.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It was a bad move using hindsight. Not sure how people don't see this. Had we paid Hayward that kind of money and he didn't play like he has with San Diego, which is quite possible, people would have been calling for TT's head. It is far too easy to look what Hayward has done in a different system in San Diego, couple that with the issues we have had at CB and it's too easy to say "Bad move TT...bad move". But let's just say we did pay Hayward that money and he didn't thrive in Capers defense or got hurt.....what would people be saying now?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts