What do we do with the CB group?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree that it's a problem that the Packers' coaching staff didn't seem to know what they had until it was gone.
kind of related and unrelated. I had to make a drive a few hours early on Sunday morning and decided to try out my trial SiriusXM in my truck and listen to the NFL network for a few hours. It was funny because the first interview I heard was with TJ Lang. Next was with the Bills new All star safety, Micah Hyde :) Then a little later they were talking about the amazing play of Casey Hayward with the Chargers. They of course talked about a lot of other stuff after that. Curiously enough when I was done helping my dad build some walls on this new house and jumped back in my truck to try and get home in time for the 2nd half of the Packer game, the very first thing i heard on that same station was that Casey Hayward was just beaten in the endzone by a Giants receiver for a TD.

what does this have to do with anything? probably nothing, but I thought it was interesting on my ride.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that Dak Prescott was fantastic yesterday. If it wasn't for Rodgers being better, that's likely the headline.

Not many QBs escape and make downfield throws like he does. Secondaries don't simple don't hold up that long on almost any team.

Hard to believe he's only a 2nd year guy and lasted until the 4th round. 31 GMs were not right about him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that Dak Prescott was fantastic yesterday. If it wasn't for Rodgers being better, that's likely the headline.

Not many QBs escape and make downfield throws like he does. Secondaries don't simple don't hold up that long on almost any team.

Hard to believe he's only a 2nd year guy and lasted until the 4th round. 31 GMs were not right about him.

32*

If the Cowboys knew what he was, they wouldn't have waited until the 4th.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would agree that it's a problem that the Packers' coaching staff didn't seem to know what they had until it was gone.

Thompson drafting two cornerbacks with the team's first two picks in the 2015 draft didn't indicate he had a lot of confidence in Hayward either.

The coaching staff knew what kind of quarterback the team was facing going into Sunday's game against the Cowboys yet wasn't able to come up with a game plan to contain him though.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson drafting two cornerbacks with the team's first two picks in the 2015 draft didn't indicate he had a lot of confidence in Hayward either.

The coaching staff knew what kind of quarterback the team was facing going into Sunday's game against the Cowboys yet wasn't able to come up with a game plan to contain him though.

Just because they know the kind of QB, doesn't mean they can automatically create a plan to stop him. Every team knows what they are up against him and almost all are not successful.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just because they know the kind of QB, doesn't mean they can automatically create a plan to stop him. Every team knows what they are up against him and almost all are not successful.

While it's definitely tough to defend Prescott and the Cowboys offense other teams have had more success in trying to contain him than the Packers though.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's definitely tough to defend Prescott and the Cowboys offense other teams have had more success in trying to contain him than the Packers though.

I can agree with that.

Overall, my point was simply that how good Prescott was should be considered when evaluating the defense rather than just blaming it all on Capers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Overall, my point was simply that how good Prescott was should be considered when evaluating the defense rather than just blaming it all on Capers.

As I've mentioned repeatedly there's no definite way to assign the majority of the blame for the defense's shortcomings over the past six seasons as long as the Packers hold on to both Thompson and Capers.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly there's no definite way to assign the majority of the blame for the defense's shortcomings over the past six seasons as long as the Packers hold on to both Thompson and Capers.

I'd agree with that. Many posters, however, will blame everything on Capers regardless of opponent and player errors.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'd agree with that. Many posters, however, will blame everything on Capers regardless of opponent and player errors.
My observation is that, in most cases, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. And many have criticized both.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
Ian Rapoport Retweeted Ian Rapoport

It got heated. DRC has been a good soldier, playing the slot, doing what was asked. As competitive as he is, getting pulled was too much.

Ian Rapoport added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
#Giants CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had words with coach Ben McAdoo after being pulled in Sunday’s game, sources say. It continued today
16 replies62 retweets86 likes

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward missed 13 games during his second season with the Packers because of a hamstring injury but played in every single one over the last two years with the team.

Yes, his third season he didn't play much because his hamstrings were still problematic. He actually played fairly well his final year with the team. I'd say one terrific season, one good season, one mediocre season and a season lost to injury is actually a pretty good result for a rookie. Certainly better than the vast majority of recent defensive draft picks on this team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, his third season he didn't play much because his hamstrings were still problematic. He actually played fairly well his final year with the team. I'd say one terrific season, one good season, one mediocre season and a season lost to injury is actually a pretty good result for a rookie. Certainly better than the vast majority of recent defensive draft picks on this team.

My guess is that Hayward would have been a priority to resign had the defensive staff been able to tap into his potential as a starting outside corner. Given that under Capers he seemed to be great in the slot and average outside, he didn't end up being a priority because they had bodies who could replace him inside.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Rodgers down, just give the young guys (Hawkins, Pipkins, Brown, etc.) playing time and see if anything seems to be sticking.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kind of related and unrelated. I had to make a drive a few hours early on Sunday morning and decided to try out my trial SiriusXM in my truck and listen to the NFL network for a few hours.
I went to my nieces birthday on Saturday, had to drive back Sunday so decided to renew my long dead Siriusxm radio so I could hear the game during my 6 hour ride. Got a great offer, 6 months for $30. Once the game started I listened to the first 3 and out, our punt then their punt. And then heard this "Rodgers is on the ground writhing in pain". Yeah, I hated the whole ride home after that. FML.

Latest posts