What do we do with the CB group?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, are not concerned with the offense eventually getting on track as long as injuries don't completely derail the team, which at the present is a legitimate concern. But assuming the offense is able to get back to being reasonably healthy, I'm not worried.

The defensive front seemed to be getting a reasonable amount of pressure throughout the night. It created havoc at times, which disrupted Ryan's timing and bailed the backend out on multiple throws that could have hurt had the throw have been made on time.

Which brings me to the CB group. I think it's safe to say that this unit is experiencing many of the same problems it was experiencing last season, and specifically in the NFC Championship game at Atlanta. We saw more of that on display last night.

Damarious Randall is a travesty. And Quinten Rollins isn't much better.

I posted in another thread that I feel as if Kevin King needs to be getting considerably more reps. In my opinion, he needs to be considered a 1st stringer right now, especially given that the team is going up against Cincinnati and Chicago the next two weeks, two teams that no one will mistake for offensive juggernauts. I feel like now is the team to throw him into the fire so that he can get acclimated. We are going to need him this season in a key role.

I don't know if it's talent, or if it's feeling comfortable, or what the situation is right now with Randall and Rollins. But moving forward with those two guys in their current roles just isn't going to cut the muster, IMO. We're going on more than a years worth of sample size now.

It's time to roll with Kevin King and see exactly what we have in this young man.

Thoughts on how you could handle this group moving forward?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not much you can do. they made their bed with this group. next FA season, IF there's a true #1 CB out there, make it a priority to sign him. i still say they have to play the seattle grab and hold style. an occasional 10 yard penalty is nothing to a bunch of 20+ yard completions.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Collins got it right last night. King should be getting more time, but I'm okay with easing him into the NFL. I think (and hope) that by the time we play Atlanta again later in the season, he's taken a giant leap forward. I'm glad that he got to play some snaps against Julio. I don't want to burn him out though. If they keep gradually adding snaps throughout the season while monitoring his rookie fatigue level, I think that he will continue to get better.

I would also like to be realistic about our defense and Atlanta's offense. There are no teams better than them on offense. Our defense needs to improve, but really, our offense needs to go toe-to-toe in a shoot-out. That's what has really kept us from beating Atlanta.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Collins got it right last night. King should be getting more time, but I'm okay with easing him into the NFL. I think (and hope) that by the time we play Atlanta again later in the season, he's taken a giant leap forward. I'm glad that he got to play some snaps against Julio. I don't want to burn him out though. If they keep gradually adding snaps throughout the season while monitoring his rookie fatigue level, I think that he will continue to get better.

I would also like to be realistic about our defense and Atlanta's offense. There are no teams better than them on offense. Our defense needs to improve, but really, our offense needs to go toe-to-toe in a shoot-out. That's what has really kept us from beating Atlanta.

And Rodgers playing without his top target and best protectors are enough to be the difference.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. I said this last year after the NFCCG, the offense underperformed more in that game than the defense. I can't think of any team in the NFL that's really going to stop the Falcons and those that have a chance (Broncos maybe?) have far better defensive personnel than the Packers. Packers only shot against the Falcons is to keep up the pressure and match them score-for-score.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Randall and Rollins played very bad last night, which isn't a huge surprise, but HaHa has to step it up. Poor angles, poor tackling, he had a bad game.

King is good, House is good, might as well see what Hawkins can do.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Obviously Randall and Rollins played very bad last night, which isn't a huge surprise, but HaHa has to step it up. Poor angles, poor tackling, he had a bad game.

King is good, House is good, might as well see what Hawkins can do.
Hawkins and King should get some burn. If for no other reason to send a message.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that we're even discussing this shows just how much trouble the Packers are in at the cornerback position. If Randall and Rollins both don't show some solid improvement over the course of this season then I'm not sure what the Packers should do moving forward.

If only our guys could play press man coverage like every other team can seemingly do against us. But no, free releases everywhere which turn into our guys 3 yards behind the receiver. It's sickening

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that we're even discussing this shows just how much trouble the Packers are in at the cornerback position. If Randall and Rollins both don't show some solid improvement over the course of this season then I'm not sure what the Packers should do moving forward.

If only our guys could play press man coverage like every other team can seemingly do against us. But no, free releases everywhere which turn into our guys 3 yards behind the receiver. It's sickening

Clearly they don't think Randall and Rollins can play press.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Randall just doesn't have what it takes to play corner at this level of football. Why is capers forcing this guy to play man 2 man with no help. I know this is a little off topic but where has Clay Mathews been the last 3 seasons he still playing OC out there Out of Control.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm sorry but Randall just doesn't have what it takes to play corner at this level of football. Why is capers forcing this guy to play man 2 man with no help. I know this is a little off topic but where has Clay Mathews been the last 3 seasons he still playing OC out there Out of Control.
And after Randall got victimized again and again early on in the game, when it was time to try making a big stop to maybe pull off a huge comeback, who did we assign to Julio? Randall. Made absolutely no sense.

Reaction score
I just want to add a track to my broken record LP. :tup:If an opposing WR is tearing you to shreds with short plays, why not put one of your quicker players.. 2nd Safety/ Coverage LB etc.. at the LOS to harass him within the 1st 5 yards with a full court press (obviously if it's a running play he can disengage and come back into run support). I watched closely and on many occasions we were playing between 5-8 yards off the receiver to start the play? We actually had some success putting pressure on Ryan but he was able to take those quick 5-10 yard slant routes all day to avoid the pressure because the receivers were not challenged until well after they caught the ball.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep King in as a starter. He's young and he is going to grow and get better. He's big, fast, and he's physical. Rollins is trash...give Hawkins his PT, The only thing keeping Randall on the field is TT effed up and took thisguy in the 1st rd...so they are giving him every chance to play. I think House is better suited to guard #2 WRs.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea that TT/MM, who regularly plays the most UDFA's in the league, are making Randall play bc of his draft status is amusing.

It's why Geronimo and Jeff made it over the rookies we drafted this year. Why McCray and Patrick made it over Kofi. It's why Brice is starting over Josh Jones.

Y'all need to come up with a better narrative, because the unfortunate truth might be that Rollins and then Randall might just be the 3rd/4th best options we have (although I truly hope Hawkins can over take them).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Keep the guys they have and hope they grow together and that King continues to improve. What else can they do? Trade? Haven't looked at potential options.

It was a mistake not to sign McCourty. That's frustrates me. He was just what we needed. Maybe I'll start exploring trade candidates as the season gets older. But I doubt they'd use that route.

I do believe we're better at CB this year. The question is if the improvement is enough.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The idea that TT/MM, who regularly plays the most UDFA's in the league, are making Randall play bc of his draft status is amusing.

It's why Geronimo and Jeff made it over the rookies we drafted this year. Why McCray and Patrick made it over Kofi. It's why Brice is starting over Josh Jones.

Y'all need to come up with a better narrative, because the unfortunate truth might be that Rollins and then Randall might just be the 3rd/4th best options we have (although I truly hope Hawkins can over take them).

I love the way you say y'all. It's delightful.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall’s lackadaisical coverage and picked up 13 yards on 1st-and-15. Two plays later, on a crucial third down, Rollins lost track of Sanu to the inside and gave up 10 yards and the first down.

According to initial numbers tallied by Pro Football Focus, the Falcons completed 10 passes on 11 targets for 148 yards against the coverage of Randall and Rollins on Sunday night.

Randall has the athleticism and quick-twitch movements to be an effective coverage corner, but he’s frequently lazy in his footwork and inconsistent with his jams at the line of scrimmage. That combination leads to a lot of trailing coverage after getting smoked off the line of scrimmage. Rollins just isn’t athletic enough to handle perimeter coverage on a consistent basis, especially on a fast track like Atlanta’s or against the speed the Falcons possess at receiver.

More importantly, they both seem to lack a threshold level of situational awareness.

Pretty damning and can't disagree with it at all.

The way things are shaping up, we may face Atlanta again post season.....and get burnt yet again.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Start king, at minimum set Randall on the bench to make the message loud and clear. Honestly I'd rather cut randall but we all know that won't happen as he is 1 of teds boys.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep the guys they have and hope they grow together and that King continues to improve. What else can they do? Trade? Haven't looked at potential options.

It was a mistake not to sign McCourty. That's frustrates me. He was just what we needed. Maybe I'll start exploring trade candidates as the season gets older. But I doubt they'd use that route.

I do believe we're better at CB this year. The question is if the improvement is enough.
Sorry hope shouldn't cut it in this league, packers had a chance to pick up Haden but hope got us blew out in the first half by an play off team. Some people need to stop making excuses and call it *** they see it. Honestly Burnett should not be playing line backer but he's the only one consistently been tackling the last 2 years so the take him from strong safety and put him at linebacker. Clay Mathews is put on the edge and he can't get to the qb for the last 3 seasons. Rollins and Randall is showing everybody on national tv on the biggest stage that they cannot perform at a high level Julio made them look like high school players. Only pass defended from Julio was the one by king.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sorry hope shouldn't cut it in this league, packers had a chance to pick up Haden but hope got us blew out in the first half by an play off team. Some people need to stop making excuses and call it *** they see it. Honestly Burnett should not be playing line backer but he's the only one consistently been tackling the last 2 years so the take him from strong safety and put him at linebacker. Clay Mathews is put on the edge and he can't get to the qb for the last 3 seasons. Rollins and Randall is showing everybody on national tv on the biggest stage that they cannot perform at a high level Julio made them look like high school players. Only pass defended from Julio was the one by king.

Thanks for choosing me to dump your angsty stream of consciousness on. It's a privilege.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Colts don't get Luck back in a super quick hurry, they may resign themselves to a lost season and be willing to move Vontae Davis. He's 29 and not at his peak anymore. But he's still a good corner and in the last year of his deal. There would be no long term commitment.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Well the good news is the CB's will be much better when they are healthy, that is all that is slowing them up, the ability to practice and play with good health and........."oh wait a minute......that was last years excuse. TT has worked himself into a corner. He used a #1 and a #2 pick on "CB's" in 2015 and then used his first pick on a CB this year. What does this mean? We won't be seeing TT shopping the FA market for a shutdown corner, no matter what House, Randall, Rollins or King do this year. I do think we will end the year with House and King starting at CB and maybe, just maybe that combination will work out, but that would also require TT to pay House to stay if it does. Too early to start talking draft, but I have to think TT (if he is still around) needs to start investing some high picks into the offense and that might be a WR, depending in what they do with Adams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts