What do we do with the CB group?

D

Deleted member 6794

With our #1 CB turning 29 and unable to stay healthy for an entire season at any point in his career, Thompson let a good starting CB walk for a measly $5M. It was a horrific personnel decision, and I'm not understanding how people are defending it.

Packers fans are defending the move because it was only a terrible decision using hindsight to evaluate it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
atl

it's only because he thought he had good replacement. had he not it wouldn't have happened.
I guess when you're TT, you make dumb assumptions like that.

Packers fans are defending the move because it was only a terrible decision using hindsight to evaluate it.

PFF thought it would have been foolish to let Hayward walk, so it wasn't unanimously considered a wise decision. Just to Packers fans in the honeymoon faze with a couple of rookies and not using sound judgement.

D

Deleted member 6794

PFF thought it would have been foolish to let Hayward walk, so it wasn't unanimously considered a wise decision. Just to Packers fans in the honeymoon faze with a couple of rookies and not using sound judgement.

I understand PFF didn't like the move but being on a Packers forum I didn't see any posts around here in March 2016 questioning the move. That's why I don't agree with fans criticizing Thompson after watching Hayward perform at an elite level for the Chargers.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand PFF didn't like the move but being on a Packers forum I didn't see any posts around here in March 2016 questioning the move. That's why I don't agree with fans criticizing Thompson after watching Hayward perform at an elite level for the Chargers.
Fans not questioning the decision of the GM doesn't mean it was a good one. He let a good player in a vital position walk over $5M. If people didn't think it was a bad decision at the time, they should have.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, did you post about it being a terrible decision at the time???
I was in the honeymoon phase as well, so I wasn't thinking logically. I did state that I would have kept him over Perry. I mean, it occurred to me that letting a good CB walk was dumb, but I thought we had something in the young guys and complete forget how injury prone Shields was. I was a fool.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Move to FA and replace Randall and Rollins. I see no other options. Maybe even give up a R1 pick to supplement a top CB trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Move to FA and replace Randall and Rollins. I see no other options. Maybe even give up a R1 pick to supplement a top CB trade.

I was advocating for the Packers to address the cornerback position in free agency all offseason but there's no reason to trade a first round pick to possibly improve the talent level.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting much out of Randall and Rollins this year, I was hopeful but Meh. The guy in the secondary I am most disappointed in is Dix. He seems to playing slow, tentative and either takes bad angles on tackles or misses them all together. I was happy when the Packers exercised his 5th year option, now I'm not so sure. Someone has to light a fire under his **** and get him playing much better football.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall made a couple of big plays yesterday but he also gave up a couple. took a bad penalty after the pick 6 (that ultimately didn't hurt) and was again defiant and in denial about it in the locker room after the game. is there anyone in the world that has any influence on this guy. if so they need to fly this person in and throw them in a room together for the duration.

King in the protocol.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins made a couple of big plays yesterday but he also gave up a couple. took a bad penalty after the pick 6 (that ultimately didn't hurt) and was again defiant and in denial about it in the locker room after the game. is there anyone in the world that has any influence on this guy. if so they need to fly this person in and throw them in a room together for the duration.

King in the protocol.
I think you mean Randall.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting much out of Randall and Rollins this year, I was hopeful but Meh. The guy in the secondary I am most disappointed in is Dix. He seems to playing slow, tentative and either takes bad angles on tackles or misses them all together. I was happy when the Packers exercised his 5th year option, now I'm not so sure. Someone has to light a fire under his **** and get him playing much better football.
It's been a poor year for Haha. Burnett has been very good. It's clear who our best player in the secondary is.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's been a poor year for Haha. Burnett has been very good. It's clear who our best player in the secondary is.
Dix is an odd one in how bad he has looked at times. I expect that out of Randall and Rollins and Gunther, but Dix had been pretty solid.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward has been with two different DCs in SD now, and has been excellent in both systems. He is good. He was good here. Maybe not to that degree, but that should indicate how bad Capers is.

This is just blatantly false. Hayward was GREAT as a rookie and then proceeded to spend the next two years injured and then had a pretty good season before being allowed to move on. So Capers is bad, in your opinion, because Hayward's hamstrings were problematic? Interesting angle.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is just blatantly false. Hayward was GREAT as a rookie and then proceeded to spend the next two years injured and then had a pretty good season before being allowed to move on.

Hayward missed 13 games during his second season with the Packers because of a hamstring injury but played in every single one over the last two years with the team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just blatantly false. Hayward was GREAT as a rookie and then proceeded to spend the next two years injured and then had a pretty good season before being allowed to move on. So Capers is bad, in your opinion, because Hayward's hamstrings were problematic? Interesting angle.
I meant not to the point of him being highly successful covering the opposing team's #1 CB. TT probably just viewed him as an expendable slot guy, and he has proven to be anything but.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I meant not to the point of him being highly successful covering the opposing team's #1 CB. TT probably just viewed him as an expendable slot guy, and he has proven to be anything but.

I would agree that it's a problem that the Packers' coaching staff didn't seem to know what they had until it was gone.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Giants are now 0-5. I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to move DRC. I haven't heard anything about his play this season, but I know he was still playing well last season by all accounts. Having another capable corner on the team to keep Randall and/or Rollins off the field would be helpful. You never know if teams are actually willing to trade players, or what the asking prices would be, but Rodgers-Cromartie strikes me as the most sensible potential option for both clubs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Without adding anyone from the outside, the main avenue for hope on the backside is that the young corners (King, Randall, and Hawkins) round into better form by season's end, augmented by the play of a pretty talented and deep group of safeties. They have to be playing their best ball come the playoffs. Its' not impossible (e.g. Atlanta last season), but it's somewhat tenuous nonetheless.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts