What do we do with the CB group?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely love Kevin King. The athleticism at the combine showed on the field last week amidst an otherwise slow and horrific secondary, and he showed solid CB skills overall. It's funny TT, sometimes the easy choice in the draft is the right choice, which I believe King was.

I'm not against J. Jones playing some CB. He is ridiculously athletic and was solid as a CB in college. He has to clean up the mental errors such as being too aggressive, but I think he can be a solid matchup guy early on. At least he has a chance to be useful, unlike the guys out there who have proven to be the exact opposite.

Randall and Rollins are who they are, and it would be nice if Capers stopped pretending otherwise. Randall has the ability, but seems to lack any skillset as a CB. He attempts to run with the WR without any plan as of how to disrupt his route, and that won't work. You have to be aggressive and savvy, and he isn't. I think he could be a good FS and cover low end receivers. Rollins is meant to cover low end receivers and not much more.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Ted is that he keeps trying to get nobodies and turn them into something. There's something that you have to learn in college before getting into the pros and it's not just your combine measureables. King is probably the only guy who played in real big games in college and was exposed to much better talent than what the rest of the guys are used to.

D. Randall played as a safety in ASU. He was playing at a community college first too.

Hawkins was a walk on at East Carolina.

House played in New Mexico.

Rollins played basketball and barely played football at Miami (OH)

Pipkims wasn't even drafted from Oklahoma State.

What in saying is there is no guy on this roster besides King who has seen WR talent consistently in college for valuable time. They haven't felt the pressure of having te perform. TT sometimes just overlooks the obvious and tries to make something out nothing.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played at a community college too, think matters now?
While true he did also play at Cal. I believe he played 1 year at Butte community College and 2 years at Cal where he had some very big games.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Josh Jones at corner would be regression, which is saying something.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saw a tid bit this morning that showed King has a better passer rating allowed in coverage than Patrick Peterson, Desmond Trufant, and Marcus Peters. he's the 6th most targeted cb in the league so he's given up some yards. so far he's faced Julio Jones and AJ Green. this week it will be Dez who catches 40% of his targets.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, King and Jones are looking like the hits that Randall and Rollins haven't been.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Ted is that he keeps trying to get nobodies and turn them into something. There's something that you have to learn in college before getting into the pros and it's not just your combine measureables. King is probably the only guy who played in real big games in college and was exposed to much better talent than what the rest of the guys are used to.

D. Randall played as a safety in ASU. He was playing at a community college first too.

Hawkins was a walk on at East Carolina.

House played in New Mexico.

Rollins played basketball and barely played football at Miami (OH)

Pipkims wasn't even drafted from Oklahoma State.

What in saying is there is no guy on this roster besides King who has seen WR talent consistently in college for valuable time. They haven't felt the pressure of having te perform. TT sometimes just overlooks the obvious and tries to make something out nothing.

Sam Shields saw one year of playing CB (very poorly) at Miami. He turned out ok.

Overall, TT has done a good job with the DB's.

He has some misses, but it happens. Randall as a prospect makes sense, his physical attributes puts him in a very elevated class of DB. He's just mentally a wash. Rollins was just a weird pick. I think Teddy has learned though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields saw one year of playing CB (very poorly) at Miami. He turned out ok.

Overall, TT has done a good job with the DB's.

He has some misses, but it happens. Randall as a prospect makes sense, his physical attributes puts him in a very elevated class of DB. He's just mentally a wash. Rollins was just a weird pick. I think Teddy has learned though.
If we could put Rollins attitude in Randall's body, he'd be a bonafide starter in this league. He thinks he's better than he is, and doesn't need to listen and when he gets beat his attitude goes south. IF he knew how to pick himself up and get back to work, he'd be just fine. So far, it doesn't seem he's been able to. Being good for 80-90% and then getting completely burnt on those others leaves huge holes in this defense. as we all can see.

I think with Rollins he saw an athlete, which untapped potential. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders as far as I can tell. Not a jaw dropping athlete, but one that could be molded into that solid DB. So far, it's not looking that way. But you win some, you lose some. For every person that is going to dog on Ted for taking a guy that didn't have much experience in the 2nd round and thinking they could make something out of him, there's just as many (often times the same person) ******* him because he took the most polished linebacker in the draft at #5 and a surefire can't mis prospect in AJ Hawk and he ended up just a solid player, not the playmaker they expected at #5. So if a pick, any pick doesn't work, there's never a reason to understand the why, other than Ted sucks at his job :)

We've had plenty of really good players thru here at all the positions that I laugh when people say Ted can't pick "X"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If we could put Rollins attitude in Randall's body, he'd be a bonafide starter in this league. He thinks he's better than he is, and doesn't need to listen and when he gets beat his attitude goes south. IF he knew how to pick himself up and get back to work, he'd be just fine. So far, it doesn't seem he's been able to. Being good for 80-90% and then getting completely burnt on those others leaves huge holes in this defense. as we all can see.

I think with Rollins he saw an athlete, which untapped potential. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders as far as I can tell. Not a jaw dropping athlete, but one that could be molded into that solid DB. So far, it's not looking that way. But you win some, you lose some. For every person that is going to dog on Ted for taking a guy that didn't have much experience in the 2nd round and thinking they could make something out of him, there's just as many (often times the same person) ******* him because he took the most polished linebacker in the draft at #5 and a surefire can't mis prospect in AJ Hawk and he ended up just a solid player, not the playmaker they expected at #5. So if a pick, any pick doesn't work, there's never a reason to understand the why, other than Ted sucks at his job :)

We've had plenty of really good players thru here at all the positions that I laugh when people say Ted can't pick "X"

So can we stop believing the coaches and some of the optimists that Randall's poor play last year was mainly due to injuries?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just keep in mind.....Randall and Rollins looked like "hits" their rookie year. Just saying.
While that's true, I see these guys as vastly superior in every way to R and R. I think the sky is the limit once they play enough to know what they're doing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So can we stop believing the coaches and some of the optimists that Randall's poor play last year was mainly due to injuries?
No, because that was definitely part of it. Why deny it? Do you think a guy that has in season groin surgery and continues to play is not affected by injury?

D

Deleted member 6794

No, because that was definitely part of it. Why deny it? Do you think a guy that has in season groin surgery and continues to play is not affected by injury?

While Randall was definitely affected by the groin injury he suffered last year he hasn't performed on a better level this season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Randall was definitely affected by the groin injury he suffered last year he hasn't performed on a better level this season.
Let me preface this by saying... I'm done with Randle. However, overall, I think he has played better than last year. But it only takes a few glaring plays to make it a moot point. I don't know if it's intelligence or maturity (or both) that he lacks, but either way he seems to be a liability more than an asset. He definitely has the physical skills necessary to be a good cornerback, but he gets beat way too often simply because he makes the wrong read.... covers the wrong guy... and blames everyone but himself. When he gave up that TD in the Bears game, everyone assumed that he was playing inside and that is why he got beat deep and outside. Maybe that is true, but it appeared to me that he was actually watching the backfield expecting a run. The game situation made a run impossible since the Bears had no timeouts and not enough time was left on the clock, and yet I got the feeling that Randle was looking for a run up the middle. I could be wrong, but it seems to fit with his previous M.O.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let me preface this by saying... I'm done with Randle. However, overall, I think he has played better than last year.

Randall even got benched after allowing a touchdown vs. the Bears. That doesn't indicate his play has improved early this season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall even got benched after allowing a touchdown vs. the Bears. That doesn't indicate his play has improved early this season.
did you even read my whole post or just do your best to find a spot you could disagree with?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On that particular play I got the impression he was playing zone and everyone else took a man. But either way, he was not on the same page as the defense and it cost them.

He has played better this year, you can see it in how he's turning and running and he has made some plays too, even in run support.

But those mental lapses have to end, and that starts with humbling yourself and getting back to work and holding nobody but yourself accounting table for everything that happens on that field. I'm hoping this latest benching and situation is the catalyst for that to happen. If it wasn't, I can't imagine he'll be a very big part of this team going foreword, which is a shame because he hd the skills to be a pretty good player.

D

Deleted member 6794

did you even read my whole post or just do your best to find a spot you could disagree with?

Geez, it's really annoying that people can't deal with others disagreeing with them. Get over it, we have different opinions about Randall's performance so far this season. No big deal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts