What do we do with the CB group?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Well the good news is the CB's will be much better when they are healthy, that is all that is slowing them up, the ability to practice and play with good health and........."oh wait a minute......that was last years excuse. TT has worked himself into a corner. He used a #1 and a #2 pick on "CB's" in 2015 and then used his first pick on a CB this year. What does this mean? We won't be seeing TT shopping the FA market for a shutdown corner, no matter what House, Randall, Rollins or King do this year. I do think we will end the year with House and King starting at CB and maybe, just maybe that combination will work out, but that would also require TT to pay House to stay if it does. Too early to start talking draft, but I have to think TT (if he is still around) needs to start investing some high picks into the offense and that might be a WR, depending in what they do with Adams.

They need to get better and faster. That won't happen with the current regime- front office or coaching. I said after last season it was time for change. This has gotten old and stale, with no answers left. Throw King in there; he's gonna be a good one . Randall and Rollins are not starting CB's in this league.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They need to get better and faster. That won't happen with the current regime- front office or coaching. I said after last season it was time for change. This has gotten old and stale, with no answers left. Throw King in there; he's gonna be a good one . Randall and Rollins are not starting CB's in this league.

Agreed.

My only "caveat" with declaring King as possibly being a "good one" too soon, is that the same thing was being said about Randall and Rollins during their rookie season. Rookie mistakes can sometimes be overlooked, but the coaches really need to look long and hard and make sure they aren't over projecting what some of these players will turn into. I think that mistake has been made a few too many times and can be "the trap" built into a team that over relies on the draft and develop philosophy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

My only "caveat" with declaring King as possibly being a "good one" too soon, is that the same thing was being said about Randall and Rollins during their rookie season. Rookie mistakes can sometimes be overlooked, but the coaches really need to look long and hard and make sure they aren't over projecting what some of these players will turn into. I think that mistake has been made a few too many times and can be "the trap" built into a team that over relies on the draft and develop philosophy.

I see your point, PB. But watching King I see a guy with the ability to be an upper tier CB. I don't see that in Randall or Rollins.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Randall and Rollins played very bad last night, which isn't a huge surprise, but HaHa has to step it up. Poor angles, poor tackling, he had a bad game.

King is good, House is good, might as well see what Hawkins can do.

It's time for King and Josh Jones to play. A lot.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep the guys they have and hope they grow together and that King continues to improve. What else can they do? Trade? Haven't looked at potential options.

It was a mistake not to sign McCourty. That's frustrates me. He was just what we needed. Maybe I'll start exploring trade candidates as the season gets older. But I doubt they'd use that route.

I do believe we're better at CB this year. The question is if the improvement is enough.

Agreed, especially considering the guy did not take up the moast loaded contract with the Browns. I am happy with the moves TT made, it shows me he is willing to change his strategy. But again it already feels like too little too late. Heck, he could have picked up both Barwin and McCourty with limited risk and still manage a healthy 6m under the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, are not concerned with the offense eventually getting on track as long as injuries don't completely derail the team, which at the present is a legitimate concern. But assuming the offense is able to get back to being reasonably healthy, I'm not worried.

The defensive front seemed to be getting a reasonable amount of pressure throughout the night. It created havoc at times, which disrupted Ryan's timing and bailed the backend out on multiple throws that could have hurt had the throw have been made on time.

Which brings me to the CB group. I think it's safe to say that this unit is experiencing many of the same problems it was experiencing last season, and specifically in the NFC Championship game at Atlanta. We saw more of that on display last night.

Damarious Randall is a travesty. And Quinten Rollins isn't much better.

I posted in another thread that I feel as if Kevin King needs to be getting considerably more reps. In my opinion, he needs to be considered a 1st stringer right now, especially given that the team is going up against Cincinnati and Chicago the next two weeks, two teams that no one will mistake for offensive juggernauts. I feel like now is the team to throw him into the fire so that he can get acclimated. We are going to need him this season in a key role.

I don't know if it's talent, or if it's feeling comfortable, or what the situation is right now with Randall and Rollins. But moving forward with those two guys in their current roles just isn't going to cut the muster, IMO. We're going on more than a years worth of sample size now.

It's time to roll with Kevin King and see exactly what we have in this young man.

Thoughts on how you could handle this group moving forward?

The Packers should start King beginning on Sunday vs. the Bengals. What a surprise, it seems that Randall and Rollins continue to struggle even when healthy.

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think just feed King to the wolves and hope he excels. He's got the physical attributes to excel, just depends on whether he can improve. As of right now, Randall and Rollins just aren't cutting it.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers should start King beginning on Sunday vs. the Bengals. What a surprise, it seems that Randall and Rollins continue to struggle even when healthy.
Ryan Wood tweeted yesterday that, per Pro Football Focus, when targeting Damarious Randall or Quinten Rollins, Matt Ryan was 10-11 for 148 yards and a passer rating of approximately 114. But I'm supposed to believe that, despite the eye test, and despite the numbers, that Randall and Rollins have significantly improved. :confused:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I know its stupid but... Does anyone think Josh Jones can play CB? lol

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know its stupid but... Does anyone think Josh Jones can play CB? lol

No, but he may prove to be a better fit in the long term as the nitro backer. He brings more speed and heft than Burnett.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No, but he may prove to be a better fit in the long term as the nitro backer. He brings more speed and heft than Burnett.
I think he was drafted to replace Burnett after this season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that King and Jones need to be playing. Bench Randall. Outside of that, not much can be done at this time of the year, unless someone like Hawkins or Pipkins can make a move.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he ran a 4.41 40 and has a 37" vertical. his 40 time is better than antonio brown and a j green. his physicality is unquestioned. don't see why not with some technique coaching.

You either have the hips to play CB or you don't. Jones plays best downhill. He would struggle at CB.

I wouldn't mind seeing Randall play some safety...his tackling is so bad though.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he ran a 4.41 40 and has a 37" vertical. his 40 time is better than antonio brown and a j green. his physicality is unquestioned. don't see why not with some technique coaching.

If your simply going to write his measurables as evidence for him playing CB u might as well say make Janis a CB.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You either have the hips to play CB or you don't. Jones plays best downhill. He would struggle at CB.

I wouldn't mind seeing Randall play some safety...his tackling is so bad though.
Everything about Randall is bad right now. Hell he's probably got bad breath too.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not much you can do. they made their bed with this group. next FA season, IF there's a true #1 CB out there, make it a priority to sign him. i still say they have to play the seattle grab and hold style. an occasional 10 yard penalty is nothing to a bunch of 20+ yard completions.
I think Ahmad Carroll is available.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This organization regime has grown stale and complacent. They are ok with just getting in the playoffs. It starts from the top. Look at the Patriots. They are not afraid to cut guys, bring guys in from other teams. Just this past week. They benched Butler to send a message that they don't care what you've done in the past. This is now and if you don't show up. You will be replaced.

This organization. Has kept Capers way longer than he should. They keep thinkin Randall will turn into something. Clay Mathews hasn't been relevant in years. They need to be aggressive and send a message. Right now, all they do is say things are different, but keep the same coordinator,coach, players and gm and expect different results. Sure, they may make the playoffs again, but these past few years tell you they won't make much noise in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed. Frankly I'm getting tired of this circus. A generational QB is being wasted.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, let Randall and Rollins fight over for the slot corner position and just throw King in the deep already. Sooner or later he has got to start for us anyway, might as well acclimate him to play on the same field with some top notch WR's. Come December/January, this extra game(s) of experience might pay great dividends.

Members online

Latest posts