What are they going to do cut me?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you saying Big3!!!?? You have got Brett all wrong, hes been a packer and the best QB to ever play the game of football, all he wants is to have a chance to get into the playoffs this year thats not alot to ask IMO..he deserves that, he has given the organization and his fans much to cheer about over the years. He isnt doing any of this on purpose hes NOT that kind of man. He has had many hardships along the way that he has played through. The Packers wouldnt be better off without him!!! He is in noway even close to TO...

IMO us as fans and the organization owe him alot, I dont know about any of you, but he has made my football season exciting, just to seee him play. Problems?? He has never been a problem, he has always done things to better the team, he wants to win, whats wrong with that?? EVeryone wants to win, and if we have a team like we did last season I wouldnt want to play either, they have to at least try to get some good players for once. I understand where he is confused in weather to come back or not...

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I posted this in another thread but it got locked. The only reason I cut and paste it here is because even though I'm not a packer fan, I hate it when a player acts like he's better than the team.

Man, what a *******. I know he's your hero, but he thinks he is so wonderful no one can touch him. If I were your new coach I would cut his *** NOW just to be an example that no one is above the team. The fact that it's been this long and he's still undecided tells me that he may never be confident he wants to come back. I think he'll retire. And I think the team will be better because of it. When a person becomes as self centered and arrogant as Favre has become, he can only cause problems for the whole team. That might have been part of the problem last year. His attitude of having to carry the team because they're so bad and he's so good might have divided the team. And we all saw what happened when he tried to carry the team himself. Brett was a great qb, but now his ego has gotten the best of him. Just the way he has handeled this offseason may be enough to seperate the team already. I've never heard of a player who told the team they had to prove they were good enough for him to play for. Players who think they are above the team and forget to humble themselves are stepping into terrell owens land. Favre is very close to that right now.

Go back to Detroit !!! I can't believe I took the time to read this crap !!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a great idea, Lion Fan. I'm referring to how you cut and pasted your post from a locked thread onto this thread that has not yet been killed by the mods. So I'm going to do the same thing. But before I do that, I will say that I think your tirade against Favre is off-base. I'm not thrilled with Favre's attitude right now either, but he is not getting into Terrell Owens land. Don't expect Favre to be holding any press conferences in his driveway anytime soon. He is a veteran player who has gone to war for this franchise for a long time now and has gotten along great with almost all of his teammates through the years. He has earned our respect, so his opinions do carry some weight.

I AM disappointed with how he is handling this issue, though, as stated in my original post which follows. (Trom's question, which started that thread, was whether Favre's statement "What will they do--cut me?" was a joke.) Skip it if you already read it, or if you think I'm full of crap:

It was clearly a joke, but it was not in very good taste. I don't like the attitude. He sounds bitter.

It seems like Favre is almost painting himself into a corner with these comments. If Thompson hasn't done enough to improve the team by now, what could he possibly do in the next few weeks to change Favre's mind? Is Thompson going to sign some cheap backup off the scrap heap, and then Favre will say, "Okay, I'm coming back now"?

Also, by saying this will be his last year if he comes back, Favre is pretty much daring Thompson to go all-out to win this year, which is not in the long-term best interests of the team.

By the way, does anyone else out there get the impression that public opinion among Packer fans is turning against Favre? Packer fans will be forever grateful for what he has done for this franchise, but most fans do draw the line somewhere.

Personally, I think that if Favre returns the '06 Green Bay Packers will be little more than a nostalgia act. They will be better with Favre than they would be with Aaron Rodgers or anyone else, but they are not likely to be anything more than a one-and-done playoff team, which is mostly what they were under Sherman. Then we'll go into '07 with a new QB with virtually no regular season experience.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry heather, but you the fans and the organization owe him nothing.He's gotten a fair wage for his work, has been cheered and loved by fans, and will have his spot in the hall of fame. He has gotten or will get everything he deserves. I don't get this whole "we owe him" mentality. He was hired to help the packers win. He did his job well. That doesn't make him more important than the team. I still just can't believe he's waiting to see if the rest of the pack is good enough for him to play for. When Barry Sanders was tired of playing for a losing franchise but wanted to retire as a lion, did he tell them they needed to make enough improvements for him to stay? no. He knew that he wasn't bigger than the team so he just retired. I know it's hard for you guys to see this because you are huge fans and think he can do no wrong. The fact of the matter is, this COULD cause problems in the locker room. Brett needs to remember that no one person is more important than the whole team. Not even their hall of fame qb. Sorry if that ****** some of you off, but sometimes it's good to get an outsiders point of view.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I'm sorry heather, but you the fans and the organization owe him nothing.He's gotten a fair wage for his work, has been cheered and loved by fans, and will have his spot in the hall of fame. He has gotten or will get everything he deserves. I don't get this whole "we owe him" mentality. He was hired to help the packers win. He did his job well. That doesn't make him more important than the team. I still just can't believe he's waiting to see if the rest of the pack is good enough for him to play for. When Barry Sanders was tired of playing for a losing franchise but wanted to retire as a lion, did he tell them they needed to make enough improvements for him to stay? no. He knew that he wasn't bigger than the team so he just retired. I know it's hard for you guys to see this because you are huge fans and think he can do no wrong. The fact of the matter is, this COULD cause problems in the locker room. Brett needs to remember that no one person is more important than the whole team. Not even their hall of fame qb. Sorry if that ****** some of you off, but sometimes it's good to get an outsiders point of view.

But why do we have to cut him? I believe that's what you said. If it wasn't you, I'm sorry then but Favre said "What are the going to do cut me" That was Favre joking believe it or not. I don't think he's hurting the team much. Rodgers is preparing as if Favre wasn't coming back. I don't think the extra 8 mill in cap would get Thompson to spend (overpay) for high profile free agents.

With that said I think it's been long enough for Favre and I think the deadline should of been mid March. It's better to have an answer now so there are no worries..

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Big3 said,

When Barry Sanders was tired of playing for a losing franchise but wanted to retire as a lion, did he tell them they needed to make enough improvements for him to stay?

No..he didn't..

but privately i'm sure Barry said...

"This team sucks and will never win..I'm not going back there with those bunch of losers.."

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:

a different point of view can be helpful, big 3 but NOT when you start it off by calling favre a *******.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never thought a tongue in Cheek comment like the one Favre made would cause such a stir.

Here is how i saw the comment.

Look the want me back in a big way. And becuase of that I dont think they would cut me after trying so hard to have me come back.

Some of you folks have read WAY WAY to much into it.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Good post DePack,
Some folks are saying Favre is holding the packers hostage.
Brett Favre is not holding the Packers hostage, Teddy has the car keys and is behind the wheel, Favre is just a passenger in the car.
Teddy can tell Brett to Buckle up or get out but he doesn't have the guts to do that.
Instead he sends mixed messages; I'll tell him I want him back but I won't do anything to show that I REALLY want him back.
Favre is a "Packer Person", which puts him in a hard spot, he knows if he retires he will be letting his team and his fans down, on the other hand why work for a person who doesn't really want you back.

If I was in Brett Favres shoes I would retire. The real Packer fans would understand.

Teddy is behind the wheel alright, but Favre is holding a gun to his head..

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for those of you who think it's a joke, you're partially right. What I heard when he said that was, "What are they going to do, cut Brett Favre? Their hall of fame quarterback and the best player on the team. yeah right." It was not a joke of humor, it was a joke to him that they would even have the balls to give the great Brett Favre a deadline. I'm surprised he didn't talk in 3rd person during the interview. He's starting to sound alot like "Leon" from the commercials.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
Never thought a tongue in Cheek comment like the one Favre made would cause such a stir.

Here is how i saw the comment.

Look the want me back in a big way. And becuase of that I dont think they would cut me after trying so hard to have me come back.

Some of you folks have read WAY WAY to much into it.

exactly...offseason at its finest.

this is why football journalists started watching other sports. this is actually print worthy in April. wow.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like a good joke as much as the next guy, but he was barely grinning when he said that. kinda scared me. i wonder what his response was to MMs comments

Members online

Latest posts