What are the chances Cobb comes back next year?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may or may not have a bet riding on this. Just wondering what everyone thinks. He's not going to take a home town discount and you know a few teams are going to throw a lot of money his way. I'm at 50/50 right now.

PackerXLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even expect this to be a question. Why would anyone in his position leave the Packers organization? Top tier QB, great tandem with Jordy, and a young, talented roster surrounding him with a bright future ahead. If he's in it purely for the money, someone might outdo us and snag him, but otherwise, I expect him to stay put.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now, I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't back with the team.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100000% chance he is back with the Packers! I strongly believe that he realizes that he is playing with the best QB in the league right now and that is what's best for his legacy. We will pay him fair market value and he will take it so he won't have to share the same fate as Greg Jennings. I know Greg's pockets are fat - but his legacy will forever be tarnished because he doesn't have a quarterback.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately money does talk, and the career of an NFL player is short, so I don't think any player in the NFL can be blamed for taking options which are financially sounder. On the other hand, Cobb seems like a bright enough guy...he knows where the right place is ;).

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I think he'll be back. I think cobb wants to stay, and while he may get some good offers he's on a SB contending team who treats its draft picks properly. And i've heard he's "one of Ted's guys" which sounds like a pretty sure thing to me.

He's such a great guy and player I'd be very disappointed if we didn't re-sign him. He's a slightly less explosive, smarter percy harvin.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has not just this but another big contract most likely later on. He would be stupid to go to some crap team with a crap QB just for the money. He will make fair money here and be able to cash in one more time elsewhere in 5 or so years if he chooses. Remember when Jennings was catching lots of td's and getting 1000 yd seasons and doing commercials!!! He is basically off the grid right now. Charles Johnson is outplaying him up there.

H

HardRightEdge

I think this is a fair assessment of the free agent situations, but once again Flynn is overlooked:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-free-agency-primer-randall-cobb-bryan-bulaga

We'd like to think Cobb would be back, but that depends on the asking price.

The Packers certainly won't go above the $9.8 mil per year in Nelson's contract. Hector Cruz' $8.6 mil per year is a fair comparison among slot receivers, as noted in the link above, with around $10 mil per year in signing bonus or other guarantees.

Sky King

Reaction score
With Rodgers on the back-half of his career perhaps Bulaga is assigned the premium value between the two. But I don't know how this team would be better off without either Bulaga or Cobb, let alone both of them.

The likely departure of Hawk, Jones, and possibly Williams, Raji and Peppers will enhance the cap. Based upon his history, I would certainly have to believe that TT releases older more expensive players in favor of younger ones.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I may or may not have a bet riding on this. Just wondering what everyone thinks. He's not going to take a home town discount and you know a few teams are going to throw a lot of money his way. I'm at 50/50 right now.

95% he stays

3 year deal, then when that one is about to run out, he will get his big pay day

Sky King

Reaction score
50/50 may be about right. His hometown is Alcoa, TN. Both Nashville and Charlotte are each about 2 hours away. That's the kind of hometown discount that may interest him, too. Team him with Benjamin and Olson and the Panthers receiving corps would be very potent. He may help the Titans even more.

But in the long run players will treat their careers like we all treat ours. They have to make their living while they still can, where they can. They want to be wanted, too. Plus, they all rely upon a little gambler's luck not to get injured at a crucial time. Cobb had one heckuva contract year, sans injury. His value should be way up.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, they will franchise him. He'll be here next year.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll go where the most garaunteed money is offered. He'd be a fool to do otherwise. Taking less now betting that in 3 years he could REALLY cash in would be stupid, you're betting you won't suffer an injury and that's just not a smart bet. He's got to take the big money now and hope he's healthy enough for another big contract in 3 years. He may give a slight discount to keep playing for the Packers organization and with Rodgers, but let's face it, Brown County is not exactly a dream destination for a young guy with money. Scarey thought? SEATTLE needs WRs. They probably don't have cap space but...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He'll go where the most garaunteed money is offered. He'd be a fool to do otherwise. Taking less now betting that in 3 years he could REALLY cash in would be stupid, you're betting you won't suffer an injury and that's just not a smart bet. He's got to take the big money now and hope he's healthy enough for another big contract in 3 years. He may give a slight discount to keep playing for the Packers organization and with Rodgers, but let's face it, Brown County is not exactly a dream destination for a young guy with money. Scarey thought? SEATTLE needs WRs. They probably don't have cap space but...

Last few wr in GB after their rookie deal is done (where Cobb is now) have signed a 3 year deal, then cashed in on their next one.

From their wikipedia pages

In the midst of his breakout season, Nelson signed a three-year, $13.35 million contract extension on October 2, 2011.

On June 23, 2009 Jennings received a new three-year extension

Jones signed a three-year contract with the Packers on July 31 2011

D

Deleted member 6794

Last few wr in GB after their rookie deal is done (where Cobb is now) have signed a 3 year deal, then cashed in on their next one.

While it's true all of Jennings, Nelson and Jones signed three year contracts at the time they got their second contract Cobb's situation is way different.

Both Jennings and Nelson signed an extension with having one year remaining on their rookie deals and the 2011 offseason (when Jones signed) was cut short because of the lockout.

Cobb will become a free agent in March so I expect him to get a way different deal than the three guys you mentioned.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact: We have plenty of cap space to sign him.
Fact: We keep our own guys we draft as good as anyone.

He'll be back.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll be back. I think he wants to be back, and it would be a huge mistake for the team to let him go.
That said, as far as I know there's been very little activity on a contract extension. Is there a problem? If Cobb is determined to test the market, then resigning him becomes much harder.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If he leaves. Hes leaving to catch passes from a Future Hall of Fame QB. As Greg Jennings how taking the money went. Trying to catch passes from 5th rate QBs and havent seen the playoffs in years.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Cobb is determined to test the market, then resigning him becomes much harder.

The Packers have the right to put the franchise tag on him, so if the team is completely determined to bring him back he won't have a chance to test free agency this offseason.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have the right to put the franchise tag on him, so if the team is completely determined to bring him back he won't have a chance to test free agency this offseason.

Which is what I believe- hope- they do if it comes to that. I just can't see them not getting this done.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which is what I believe- hope- they do if it comes to that. I just can't see them not getting this done.

The franchise tag should be used as a last resort to keep Cobb though as it would result in a massive cap hit for the 2015 season.

Members online

Latest posts