1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Wells using experience at guard to get better at center

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Jun 21, 2006.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Packers | Wells using experience at guard to get better at center
    Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:58:26 -0700

Mike Spofford, of Packers.com, reports Green Bay Packers C Scott Wells, who is likely to be the team's starting center this season, learned more about his position from starting eight games at left guard last season. "Having the eight starts at guard last year helped me out tremendously in understanding the center role even more," Wells said. "Being able to move out further from the center, being able to see how the guard operates, you learn how the tackle operates also. So that furthers your whole understanding of the offense." Wells was also able to learn quite a bit from C Mike Flanagan, who now plays for the Houston Texans.

2. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm excited about Wells...I think he's going to do a fine job this year that will bring along our young guards even quicker.

3. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wells is a pit bull. He will be a fine center for the Pack. Mike Flanagan would not be in Houston right now if the Packers didn't feel he was ready.

Also, thinking back to last year, if we would have had anything capable at LG, Wells may have supplanted Flanny.

4. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    got a soft spot for wells since he lost his twins at birth last year. i hope he'll have an awesome season - he's got it in him to be great!!

5. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Some cap room can be spent extending him.

6. Cheesehead4

Cheesehead4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope he can help solidify up our interior line, which we desperatley need!

7. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Wells out played Flanny last year.

8. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I agree, but, Flanny was showing some serious signs of a beat up warrior last year. Wells will do ok this year, I hope, but the 2 guard spots are vital to the overall success of this unit. I also keep hearimg great things about Chris White. He seems to be taking some snaps at Guard. I would feel more comforatable with White as at least he has some experience. May be a dark horse in the race.

9. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Chris White was an undrafted free agent rookie last season was he not? He was inactive for 15 games. He has less experience than Coston and everybody else except the rookies.

10. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but I was talking about him instead of Colledge not Coston. He spent last year with the team so at least he has a year up on the rookies

11. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yeah. The last article I read on White talked about him staying as the backup at center though. I think that he has gotten some reps at guard in the OTAs but it doesn't seem too likely that he will start at guard. It appears thus far the it is Colledge and Coston's jobs to lose, which is very possible seeing how insanely early it is.

12. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Yeah, most likely he will be the backup Center, but I don't know if Colledge and Coston are ahead of anyone else. It's way to early to tell. Whats odd is they keep trying a few different guys at Guard. Is it just checking out what you have OR is there a problem withColedge and/or Coston.

It's just way to early to really know anything

13. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah White in my opinion might be the best off lineman we have to fit our scheme. He's my darkhorse as well and I'm rooting for him.

14. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Forgive me if this is stupid. But are you saying white is our best OL?

15. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i think he just is saying he fits the system best.

16. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah TBH is correct. White ran a sub 5.00 40 yard dash, and he has the height/athletic ability/ smarts that are needed to succeed in this system. I don't think anyone comes clsoe to matching Tausch or Cliffy as our best O-Line players.

17. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    That's what I was thinking (regarding Taush,Clif) but porkster has been known to slide to the weird side of the fence before :p

18. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    When have I done that. For saying Aaron Rodgers and Ahmad Carroll aren't going to pan out. For saying Woodson won't be a Pro Bowl CB for us but a good one. For saying TT improved the Pack this off season and spent most of his money wisely? :roll:

Oh wait, for not agreeing with you on something. Forgive me, I didn't know the ignorance level was high. :roll:

I said White is the best fit on our team for the zone scheme.

19. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Are you this much of a unforgiving squirrel nut swallower in real life or is this just some show you put on for the internet audience? Grow up. I'm not impressed.

I said "Forgive me if this is stupid." because I wasn't TRULY thinking you were saying White was our best OL. I should have elaborated more on the lines of, are you saying he is the best OL for zone blocking? Including better than Clifton and Tauscher? I made a mistake and assumed you had some sense to you. For that I apologize.

20. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I guess I'm just on the weird side :roll: I guess I have to grow up for defending myself. All I did was respond for being called weird. :roll:

21. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    My bad. I didn't call YOU weird, just said you go to the weird side of the fence. Bro, I LIVE THERE!! Geez... ;)