Wells leaves packers

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All this just my opinion: Wells and Clifton the only decent OL? I disagree. Sitton is an above average OG and Lang is on his way to be. I also think Bulaga is above average at RT and likely to get better. Clifton was not close to decent last season and I wouldn’t depend upon him to be able to reprise his 2010 play. The biggest problem on the OL was LT where Newhouse has to get better. He may but that’s not a sure thing either. Sherrod’s injury will set him back going into this season – he may miss most of his first two offseasons of work. If Clifton doesn’t come back or does and isn’t any better than he ended the season and if Newhouse hasn’t improved, unfortunately I think the best course of action would be moving Bulaga to LT.

Obviously they’ll miss Wells if he leaves. He was the best OL last season and he’s very smart. But if he doesn’t realize the NFL is a business and won’t come back to the Packers because his feelings are hurt, then adios Scott. Wilde thinks he’s headed for Tennessee. Both he and his wife are from there and they own a house there. That would be the easiest relocation for his family and the Titans appear interested.

EDS is my guess of the player on the roster who could best play OC. He was better than I expected at OG last season but I don’t know how good he’d be at OC. I’m hoping for one of the UFA OCs and a rookie to vie for the spot along with EDS and Sampson Genus, a UDFA from last offseason who is listed only as an OC on the roster.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of serviceable FA options and options in the draft. I couldn't disagree more with the "We need to just pony up to the thirty-one year old FA because he's worth more to us than he is to anyone else" crowd. Total failure to recognize true market value. Glad they're not negotiating on behalf of the Packers...

If Clifton wants to rot in TN, let him. But I'll bet he's finding that TN doesn't want to exceed around $5.5 million either...

Clifton? I assumed he was retired.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga, who I thought was terrible his rookie year, was the best offensive lineman last season. Im excited for his future.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga, who I thought was terrible his rookie year, was the best offensive lineman last season. Im excited for his future.

This is the one ray of hope I have that newhouse will become better considering last year was in a way his rookie year (altough Bulaga got a lot better in the playoffs his rookie year and we never saw this from Newhouse). Just get Wells or Myers and the line will be top 10 easily and the Offense will be set, altough a better blocking fullback or halfback would be nice as well.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the one ray of hope I have that newhouse will become better considering last year was in a way his rookie year (altough Bulaga got a lot better in the playoffs his rookie year and we never saw this from Newhouse). Just get Wells or Myers and the line will be top 10 easily and the Offense will be set, altough a better blocking fullback or halfback would be nice as well.

Hard to look good against that Giants pass rush...

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Newhouse was painful this year, the man practically had an open-door policy direct to Rodgers.
Like you I'm not sold on Newhouse especially at tackle. He gave up half the team sacks. I think playing inside is a better position for him. In his defense he did play better as time went on.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Like you I'm not sold on Newhouse especially at tackle. He gave up half the team sacks. I think playing inside is a better position for him. In his defense he did play better as time went on.

Isn't Newhouse really a guard anyway? Clifton may be slowing down, but he's certainly better than Newhouse. I also agree about Josh Sitton. He's one of the best RG's in the game IMO

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying he has a deal in place and the packers know it.

Ivo, do you have any new info here? Is this still the case? I feel like if Wells had a deal in place, we'd have heard about it now. Not trying to be a ******, here. Just wondering if things have changed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Isn't Newhouse really a guard anyway? Clifton may be slowing down, but he's certainly better than Newhouse.
IMO Newhouse is an OT it’s just a question of how good a one he can become. He is listed only as a tackle on the roster and the Packers usually aren’t averse to listing players at T/G if they view them in that light. For example, Sherrod who IMO is clearly an OT is listed as a T/G.

Clifton was fantastic during the late season run into and throughout the playoffs in 2010, but he was removed for Newhouse in the playoff game vs. the Giants so the coaching staff didn’t view him as better than Newhouse then. Perhaps Clifton can further recover from injury and regain some of his old form, but I wouldn’t count on that and I hope the Packers don’t.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo, do you have any new info here? Is this still the case? I feel like if Wells had a deal in place, we'd have heard about it now. Not trying to be a ******, here. Just wondering if things have changed.

I guess he just said he was leaving the packers. I thought he would have a deal to say that. No info that new though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Newhouse was painful this year, the man practically had an open-door policy direct to Rodgers.
He was more painful to Derek Sherrod because that play where Sherrod's leg was snapped crack in 2 places was Newhouse's fault as it was the 20th time of the game Tamba Hali went right around Newhouse to the outside.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised he isn't a Titan. Oh well. Good luck Wells. Maybe to him, winning isn't everything, I guess.

Only FA I thought we may pursue was Langford, but now maybe Myers really is a possibility.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised he isn't a Titan. Oh well. Good luck Wells. Maybe to him, winning isn't everything, I guess.

Only FA I thought we may pursue was Langford, but now maybe Myers really is a possibility.

Myers just re-signed with the Texans for 4 years, $25 million.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

New thing is that the Titans want Jeff Saturday.

The Titans are building a great o line......if it was 5 years ago.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well good luck to him. Things are looking great for St. Louis if they draft right the next 3 years. We'll move on from here.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Another player we let go that I predict that we will regret, just like Jenkins

Members online

Latest posts