Wells leaves packers

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Packers now have holes at OC, DE, OLB, and SS, especially if Nick Collins is done. And counting on Raji and Pickett to anchor our defensive line is like counting on plastic wrap in the wind.

We might be able to fill a couple of those holes in the draft and draft a few more as projects, but things aren't looking good right now for the Packers. I'm sure TT will draft the BPAs but if that's all he does, Packers may be taking a step back.
can't be elite at every position.

Step off the ledge. Still the best team top to bottom in the nfl. Expect several players to take a leap forward this year too.

Reaction score
The Vikings make no sense whatsoever.
It makes total sense. The Vikings will overpay for him and he will rot of old age and losing too many games. Somebody has to follow the path of former Packer to Viking. (Sharper, Longwell, Favre, Michael Montgomery, etc.)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes total sense. The Vikings will overpay for him and he will rot of old age and losing too many games. Somebody has to follow the path of former Packer to Viking. (Sharper, Longwell, Favre, Michael Montgomery, etc.)
they have 2 centers including 1 they just gave a contract extension to.

It would be like the packers trying to sign Vincent Jackson

Reaction score
they have 2 centers including 1 they just gave a contract extension to.

It would be like the packers trying to sign Vincent Jackson
Then why would the Vikings be talking to them? They could always release 1 and make room for a pro bowl center.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
He is visiting the Titans I read. Probably part of their package deal to try to sway Manning there. Bud Adams is nuts IMO.

We might have our very own Favre and Rodgers sitution to a lesser degree shaping up in the AFC South if Peyton heads to TN.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can't be elite at every position.

Step off the ledge. Still the best team top to bottom in the nfl. Expect several players to take a leap forward this year too.

There's no panic here and i'm not talking about being elite at every position, just solid. And at those positions we ain't right now. I'm sure the draft will help that, but one FA signing at a reasonable price might make a big difference. Even if the Packers rely only on the draft I'm sure they'll be serious contenders next season, but will they be a SB team?

Chris Myers would be great if he doesn't come too high. he's better than Wells in the opinion of many. There's a DB or two that might be worth trying for as well.

And BTW I think that Thompson is right not to have panicked over Wells by rushing to re-sign him. Wells is good but he's not that good, and it isn't like he is irreplaceable. TT seems to be playing it cool as is his style. So far however, the off-season hasn't been a good one for the Packers except for Finley. Then again, looks like some teams out there are in a mad rush to sign players to huge contracts...see Calvin Johnson, Carl Nicks, and god knows about Peyton Manning. Interesting how the very top teams like GB, NE, and the Giants are sitting back and not making any rash moves.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Chris Myers is also visiting TN.

I think everyone is visiting TN.

Word is that Mario Wiliams is waiting on the Manning decision. If TN does not get Manning they might get Mario.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Wells stays in GB.
Remember when the coaches wanted to make Spitz the center?
Spit didn't earn the job. They just made him the starter. Then he got hurt again and Wells took the job by default and the rest is history.

Seems like Wells has plenty of reason to be bitter with his bosses. I would be too.
It's like a regular job, they hire a new younger guy, with a sparking degree and from a rich family, and they want to give him your job, yet you out-perform him time and time again.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not time and time again. And that was years ago. Wells wa nothing special until that happened. That demotion lit a fire under his ***. I haven't heard a peep about him losing his job since then.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no panic here and i'm not talking about being elite at every position, just solid. And at those positions we ain't right now. I'm sure the draft will help that, but one FA signing at a reasonable price might make a big difference. Even if the Packers rely only on the draft I'm sure they'll be serious contenders next season, but will they be a SB team?

Chris Myers would be great if he doesn't come too high. he's better than Wells in the opinion of many. There's a DB or two that might be worth trying for as well.

And BTW I think that Thompson is right not to have panicked over Wells by rushing to re-sign him. Wells is good but he's not that good, and it isn't like he is irreplaceable. TT seems to be playing it cool as is his style. So far however, the off-season hasn't been a good one for the Packers except for Finley. Then again, looks like some teams out there are in a mad rush to sign players to huge contracts...see Calvin Johnson, Carl Nicks, and god knows about Peyton Manning. Interesting how the very top teams like GB, NE, and the Giants are sitting back and not making any rash moves.

Myers isn't happening he'll be gone in the next day or two. The Packers tried putting it out there that they were interested in him to try and sway Wells I'm guessing? But as far as I am seeing he has no plans on visiting Green Bay. So now...who on the roster right now can play center?

ddavey4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tt should just sign wells he's the only decent ol we have next to clifton, and he will probably be done.if not poor rodgers will be running for his life.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tt should just sign wells he's the only decent ol we have next to clifton, and he will probably be done.if not poor rodgers will be running for his life.

Sitton is a real good lineman. However your point has merits. Rodgers spends a lot of time on the run. So far he has escaped a season ending injury. With our pathetic defense last year where would we have been without Rodgers. Wells probably has more value to the Packers than another team. But TT likes to roll the dice. Sometimes he gets snake eyes.

btw, I like another Packer fan since 1960. :)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton is a real good lineman. However your point has merits. Rodgers spends a lot of time on the run. So far he has escaped a season ending injury. With our pathetic defense last year where would we have been without Rodgers. Wells probably has more value to the Packers than another team. But TT likes to roll the dice. Sometimes he gets snake eyes.

btw, I like another Packer fan since 1960. :)
without Rodgers we would have watched Flynn set nfl records ;)

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wells wants 7.5M Packers are willing to pay 5.5M. Why not settle on a 3 yr deal worth 19M. After the 2nd yr the Packers have the option to pick up his 3rd year.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are plenty of serviceable FA options and options in the draft. I couldn't disagree more with the "We need to just pony up to the thirty-one year old FA because he's worth more to us than he is to anyone else" crowd. Total failure to recognize true market value. Glad they're not negotiating on behalf of the Packers...

If Wells wants to rot in TN, let him. But I'll bet he's finding that TN doesn't want to exceed around $5.5 million either...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of serviceable FA options and options in the draft. I couldn't disagree more with the "We need to just pony up to the thirty-one year old FA because he's worth more to us than he is to anyone else" crowd. Total failure to recognize true market value. Glad they're not negotiating on behalf of the Packers...

If Clifton wants to rot in TN, let him. But I'll bet he's finding that TN doesn't want to exceed around $5.5 million either...
Dollars spent there cannot be spent on extending Rodgers, Jennings, CM3, Bulaga and other more important parts of the puzzle. NFL isn't just next year, it going to go on for a while. I don't want us to try and load up for some kind of perceived big final push.

Members online

Latest posts