Week 6 vs Detroit MNF: Time For Big Time Payback

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions are coming off the bye and they have developed a rushing game to take advantage of our rushing defense weakness. This is definitely a winnable game, but a loss here or a close victory will not surprise me.

We have to do what we did in Dallas - get a decent lead so they have to abandon the run.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
LaFleur confirms that Davante will not play Monday Night. Tonyan and Savage have also been ruled out. Brown is listed as doubtful.

Also - Linsley has cleared concussion protocol and says he will play.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We have to do what we did in Dallas - get a decent lead so they have to abandon the run.

I hope that is the goal every game, get a big lead ;)

I don't put a lot of stake in the fact that teams will necessarily abandon the run if they fall behind early, especially against a Packer defense that hasn't been very effective against the run. The Minnesota game was a good example of a team knowing what will work for them. Cook breaks off a 75 yard run and all of a sudden the Vikings are back in the game with momentum. I actually thought the Vikings could have won that game, had they run the ball more.

I get more nervous when the Packers have a "biggish" lead (2 scores +) and they go into some type of soft/prevent defense. Seems like that has always been a recipe for some quick scores by the other team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As of Saturday, the Lions Injury Report. I guess we won't be "welcoming" Mike Daniels back. Hoping Hochenson, Amendola, Diggs and Slay are no goes tonight! :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I keep seeing the media bring up the last four meetings against these guys, the more I am saying it is not enough to beat them. No, they need to be humiliated on national TV and have the same thing done to them that we did to the Bears in 2014.

Run a no huddle offense, tire them out with constant mixes of deep balls to MVS and short passes to Aaron Jones. Jones is a big weapon in the passing game and we gotta make sure their LBs get gassed trying to cover him.

But we need to push for 50 plus points in there and make them beg for mercy.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If we get a decent lead, I want us to pour it on full blast and run the score up on them. Oh yes, I don't care what their fans would think of that. We gotta send the message that payback is real.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
"Oh yes, I don't care what their fans would think of that. We gotta send the message that payback is real."

"No, they need to be humiliated on national TV and have the same thing done to them that we did to the Bears in 2014."

"But we need to push for 50 plus points in there and make them beg for mercy."

You seem far too invested in a game in which you have no direct control or influence. I almost want the Packers to win because I'm afraid you're going to have a stroke or something if they don't.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we get a decent lead, I want us to pour it on full blast and run the score up on them. Oh yes, I don't care what their fans would think of that. We gotta send the message that payback is real.

Do you care what Packer fans would think of that?

Why would you run the risk of getting starters injured if the game is well in hand? The Lions beat us 4 times in a row, whatever we do tonight doesn't change the past, but it could change the future.

Thankfully, I think MLF is a smart enough coach to know that it is a long race to the finish line and you don't risk making it there, just to "settle an old score".

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem far too invested in a game in which you have no direct control or influence. I almost want the Packers to win because I'm afraid you're going to have a stroke or something if they don't.

Let me dial that back a bit then if it makes you feel better and let me say ...

In the real world, it's far more likely if we win that it will be a very close one. Just given the way our games and your teams games have gone.

My rants on this have been more so me wanting to throw it back at the national sports media who thus far appear to be in the tank for Detroit in this game. And .... You're right, I have no control over our players and what their mindset is coming into tonight, but I certainly am tired of the complacency I've seen whenever this game has come on our schedule over the last two years.

You can't deny, even at this juncture at the season this is a very important NFC North game. Gotta be treated as such.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win, it will be hard fought and I won't care if it's by a point

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why would you run the risk of getting starters injured if the game is well in hand? The Lions beat us 4 times in a row, whatever we do tonight doesn't change the past, but it could change the future.

Thankfully, I think MLF is a smart enough coach to know that it is a long race to the finish line and you don't risk making it there, just to "settle an old score".

Perhaps to be more clear, no I don't want that. Obviously if the score was anything like it was looking in that 2014 Bears game, I'd hope we put Boyle and the backups in. Rodgers with his knee and all has to stay healthy as mentioned as does Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams.

It was more me saying that I don't think there needs to be any of us fans feeling sorry if the Packers thrash an opponent, especially not these guys. It probably won't happen, but if it does, those Pats fan copycat fans in Detroit get no sympathy from me. NONE!!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers are one of two teams in the top 10 that have faced more teams .500 and over than under .500. The Lions are another test. This is a home game against a tough division opponent. This is a must win. The Lions are coming off of a bye and the packers are not the healthiest roster at the moment. One area that concerns me about this game is penalties. The Packers lead the league in defensive penalties and the lions are one of the most disciplined defensive teams. I think the team that comes away with more penalities, loses this football game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We are in agreement... however I would say that considering the fact that a 31-3 lead against Dallas began to feel like maybe it wasn’t enough.. I’d be fine with keeping the pedal down if we are fortunate enough to get a good lead. Stafford and the Lions have been capable of scoring points quickly this year. I’m actually less confident about this game than I was against the Cowboys.

D

Deleted member 6794

One area that concerns me about this game is penalties. The Packers lead the league in defensive penalties and the lions are one of the most disciplined defensive teams. I think the team that comes away with more penalities, loses this football game.

Actually the Packers defense has been one of the least penalized units in the league with a total of only 10 accepted penalties. Only the Colts and Niners have currently been flagged less on that side of the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was more me saying that I don't think there needs to be any of us fans feeling sorry if the Packers thrash an opponent, especially not these guys. It probably won't happen, but if it does, those Pats fan copycat fans in Detroit get no sympathy from me. NONE!!

however I would say that considering the fact that a 31-3 lead against Dallas began to feel like maybe it wasn’t enough.. I’d be fine with keeping the pedal down if we are fortunate enough to get a good lead.

OK.....combining these 2 posts, I would agree, sometimes no lead is safe. However, I wouldn't risk players in a situation where all you were trying to do was "run up the score" in a game that was already won 49-0 with 10 minutes left, for instance. :D

Heading to Green Bay....bringing good mojo......

Packers 31
Lions 17

Go Pack Go!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.....combining these 2 posts, I would agree, sometimes no lead is safe. However, I wouldn't risk players in a situation where all you were trying to do was "run up the score" in a game that was already won 49-0 with 10 minutes left, for instance. :D

Heading to Green Bay....bringing good mojo......

Packers 31
Lions 17

Go Pack Go!

Cuz by that point mission accomplished, score run up.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just for some perspective about Rodgers in prime time when playing at home for his career:

21-5 record
65.8% completions
261 passing yards
63 TDs/10 INTs
108.4 passer rating

Given that he just suffered his 5th ever home prime time loss just 11 days ago, I think he’s gonna be primed up (no pun intended) for this one.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Actually the Packers defense has been one of the least penalized units in the league with a total of only 10 accepted penalties. Only the Colts and Niners have currently been flagged less on that side of the ball.
Is the 451 penalty yards against then?

Reaction score
Once again. This is probably a simplified angle of all posts above, but I think it comes down to whoever scores the most.:whistling:

God bless both teams, but please God bless the GB Packers just a little more. :tup:

Reaction score
Is the 451 penalty yards against then?
I think that’s our opponents? That whole “beneficiary” method is a little confusing. It confused me too (doesn’t take much)

I see GB ranked 5th and Detroit 3rd least committed penalty yardage.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again. This is probably a simplified angle of all posts above, but I think it comes down to whoever scores the most.:whistling:

God bless both teams, but please God bless the GB Packers just a little more. :tup:

That last part is I believe the crux of where I am in full disagreement.

Now I agree with what @Pokerbrat2000 said in the post above that "Lions beat us 4 times in a row, whatever we do tonight doesn't change the past."

BUT ... Let's be honest, could apply the same to the Cowboys in the 1990s. I'm pretty sure all of Packer nation was jumping up and down when Reggie White and company dumped it all on the Cowboys heads when they kicked em 45-17 in 1997. It's no different with this Lions team than it was then, so I say let's repeat that tonight.

Latest posts