Week 5: Packers at Bucs - Rodgers/Brady maybe for the last time

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be an interesting match up, thats for sure. While I havent seen much from them cuz I only watched the Bears game partially so its tough to have an opinion on them. But here I go:

Their OL seems to be average. Bears put a lot of inside pressure on them and Brady felt that. He makes bad decisions and throws when under pressure so it is extremely important that Kenny plays. Good thing that Z had his best game of the season vs Atlanta and seems to get in form. The rest of the offense looks pretty good on paper but doesnt really scare me outside of Mike Evans. They have a lot of options all over the field but most performed average at best. Their pass game is definitly the stronger unit but Packers are set against this.

Their DL is pretty good but suffered a heavy loss with loosing Vea for the season. Dude is one hell of a DT so him not playing can be bad for their rush defense which is incredible effective. But Jones going off on them still wont happen imo. While their safeties and LBs are pretty, pretty good, they dont scare me when I think how flawlessly the Packers offense operated. Especially with Tae coming back, most likely, Packers can really hurt them thru the air. Their pass rush looks solid but they havent faced an OL close to the class of the Packers' so I bet on the Packers to actually dominate the trenches for most of the game.

I think the Packers match up quite well against the Bucs but the defensive stability will rely on Kenny playing or not more than ever. Bucs lost close aganst a bad Bears team and they were lucky that the Bears have no QB because Foles missed some oppurtunities given by the defense to score on them. I fully expect the best offense in the NFL to do better than that. The defense simply has to do what it always does: Make big plays when they are needed. I am really excited for this matchup.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamal back in practices. Be shocked if he sees a ton of snaps right away, but that is great sign.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In truth I don't think Tampa will be able to keep up if it's a high scoring game. The Chargers had them dead to rights, but because of bone headed plays they let them back into the game. Needless to say I don't see our boys making those same mistakes. Though again Tampa has always played us tough, but I do think Adams will have a huge game with at LEAST 2 TDs, but possibly 3.

I just hope Rodgers continues to spread the ball around, rather than just get locked on Adams.

H

HardRightEdge

For all the Rodgers-Brady stuff, I see this game conforming to the overused "games are won in the trenches" cliche. Tampa's front 7 looked pretty tough against the Bears even without Vea. Conversely, Brady will still beat you up if don't get pressure.

The thing is the Tampa O-Line looked pretty bad in pass pro against the Bears and I think that will be the difference. I'm expecting a fairly low scoring game at least in comparison to the ridiculous scoring against bad defense across most of the league.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking about this game, I remember two quotes from Mike McCarthy.
"It's a game of matchups."
"It's not who you play, it's when you play them."
I think that the longer they have to gel, and getting healthy, the Bucs offense can be nearly as prolific as ours. Their defense is better than ours. I think they'll be able to shut down our running game, and be able to cause problems for Rogers. I don't have much confidence in our defense to stop their offense.
Even the best teams have an off day or a clunker or two during the season. On the road, against a good opponent who I feel is a bad matchup for us at this time, I think that we're due for an off day.
I hope I'm wrong, but I see it as Tampa, 31 to 24.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamal back in practices. Be shocked if he sees a ton of snaps right away, but that is great sign.
Hearing that Kamal Martin and ESB are back in practice is great, but my guess is that one or both will not be added to the active roster for this game. They don't need Martin this week* and would be better served easing his knee back into action - then available for the Seahawks. I could see them adding ESB just to get him some game reps with Lazard done, but it all depends on ESB's recovery as well.

* Before the jackals pounce, my point is that while it would certainly help our defense to have Kamal Martin out there, Tampa's offense doesn't scare me the same way that New Orleans did and Seattle does. We aren't exactly playing the Falcons' offense but not an elite offense either. The Packers are #1 in pts scored per game. The Seahawks are #2, Saints are #5, and the Bucaneers are #12 - so just better than the median.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see how a team that had trouble with the bears is going to beat the packers.
GB 27
TB 17

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm holding off on my prediction until I get a better grasp of exactly whose IN and OUT....tentatively I'm at:

Packers 31
Tampa 24

H

HardRightEdge

Packer opponents to date are ranked 26th. - 30th. in points surrendered, 30.0 - 32.2. All but the Saints have given up boat loads of yards. This will be the first test against a good defense.

One thing I noticed in that Bears game is Tampa's coverage plays from inside out, taking away the middle field and forcing throws to the perimeter with a lot of guys around the ball in the run. Foles completed a lot of throws out there. I don't know if that was a Bears specific game plan or a habit, but it's something to watch.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, the stat is misleading because they played the Packers, who far and away lead the league in offensive points per game. They are that bad partly because of us, and then some.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking about this game, I remember two quotes from Mike McCarthy.
"It's a game of matchups."
"It's not who you play, it's when you play them."
I think that the longer they have to gel, and getting healthy, the Bucs offense can be nearly as prolific as ours. Their defense is better than ours. I think they'll be able to shut down our running game, and be able to cause problems for Rogers. I don't have much confidence in our defense to stop their offense.
Even the best teams have an off day or a clunker or two during the season. On the road, against a good opponent who I feel is a bad matchup for us at this time, I think that we're due for an off day.
I hope I'm wrong, but I see it as Tampa, 31 to 24.

And there's good reason Vegas has the margins as tight as they are. It does kind of have one of those feelings of "remember the Buffalo Bills of 2014 or the LA Chargers of last year." Be interesting to see if the bye week helped or made us a tad rusty.

I had actually chalked this one as an L way back in the prediction thread, but I had also done the same with New Orleans. This team keeps exceeding expectations this season and could do it again this Sunday.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to what should be a great game, a really intriguing matchup.
A cool thing for me is I don't have to go to the bar to watch it since it's a national TV game. Homemade hamburgers, cold beer, followed by a ton and a half of chocolate ice cream. WooHoo!!!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read about my guy Antoine Winfield Jr, from the University of Minnesota. If he picks off Rodgers this Sunday, it would be the first known instance of a father and son both intercepting the same quarterback. His dad picked off Rodgers in 2009.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like all their receivers will be playing and us probably w/o King. Can't give him too much time back there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that the longer they have to gel, and getting healthy, the Bucs offense can be nearly as prolific as ours.

The Bucs offense has a lot of weapons but their quarterback isn't as good as ours.

I can't see how a team that had trouble with the bears is going to beat the packers.

Trouble??? They lost to the Bears.

To be fair, the stat is misleading because they played the Packers, who far and away lead the league in offensive points per game. They are that bad partly because of us, and then some.

There's some truth to that but the defenses they have played have combined to give up 29.7 points in all other games.