Week 4 Bring On The Eagles

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our LP list looks scary! Damn these short weeks.

Sorta, except I've noticed the most common injury is shoulder. Our trainers better be keeping the ice bags and icey hots ready. I guess with Aaron Jones, that could be problematic if it's his carrying one.

Meantime, assuming Jeffrey gets back in the lineup for them the D will have a bit more of a challenge, one that the fraud Lions lucked out from not having to face.

We only have 3 on the DNP list though, and none of them have done much of anything for this team so far this season.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles are banged up. I like our chances in this one.

I'm feeling a big day at the office for 17.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Eagles won the Super Bowl two years ago. A good number of Super Bowl Champions are still on that team.

A Champion rises to the occasion. Perhaps in this case, they play up to the competition.

Sure they lost to the Lions - when did the Pack last beat the Lions? I want those guys more than the Iggles. BUT this is an NFC game...so, I hope the Pack are up to it and, I hope the Eagles don't have a running game.:mad:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t know if the Pack had practice today, but the injury report for the Eagles and Pack is because on the short week, this is Wednesday. The Eagles report came out despite the fact they didn’t even have a practice today per Mark Garafalo. At least I hope I spelled his name right. So it is just a projected report at this point.

Reaction score
Our Offense just needs to stick to their guns. We sowed a new system it won’t harvest overnight.
GB 28 Eagles 20

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier on in the year I felt the Packers would be 3-0 at this point. I also originally thought this week would be their first loss. Now I believe A Rod and the offense will have just as huge of a game as the Bears offense is having right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Alshon Jeffery and tight end Dallas Goedert are expected to be available for Thursday Nights game. That is bad news for the Packers. I am probably wrong, but Jeffery always seems to have good games against the Packers. Goedert will be another weapon the Eagles use to exploit the Packers short, middle of the field defense.

The Eagles have only 3 healthy CB's: Rasul Douglas, Sidney Jones and Avonte Maddox.

Aaron you have been notified.....time to light it up!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My tribute to 2 FA acquisitions, that may be remembered for being the 2 players that were most instrumental in turning this defense around.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

After three weeks, Preston Smith is ranked PFF’s No. 7 overall edge defender with a grade of 83.0, while OLB Za’Darius Smith is ranked No. 14 with a grade of 80.5. Combined, this makes the Smith brothers the highest-graded edge def. duo in the entire NFL (163.5).

More stats on FA's that Gute signed this year. According to ESPN Analytics, the Packers’ Billy Turner has been the best pass-blocking guard in the NFL through 3 games

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My tribute to 2 FA acquisitions, that may be remembered for being the 2 players that were most instrumental in turning this defense around.

After three weeks, Preston Smith is ranked PFF’s No. 7 overall edge defender with a grade of 83.0, while OLB Za’Darius Smith is ranked No. 14 with a grade of 80.5. Combined, this makes the Smith brothers the highest-graded edge def. duo in the entire NFL (163.5).

More stats on FA's that Gute signed this year. According to ESPN Analytics, the Packers’ Billy Turner has been the best pass-blocking guard in the NFL through 3 games

Good for Turner! The Smith Bros. have changed the attitude here, along with Amos. The buy-in by the younger players is clearly ALL IN! Good to see a night & day difference on D. We needed that immensely.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles won the Super Bowl two years ago. A good number of Super Bowl Champions are still on that team.

A Champion rises to the occasion. Perhaps in this case, they play up to the competition.

Sure they lost to the Lions - when did the Pack last beat the Lions? I want those guys more than the Iggles. BUT this is an NFC game...so, I hope the Pack are up to it and, I hope the Eagles don't have a running game.:mad:

I think we’ll be ok weeds. Our offense gets off the schneid, and our defense continues to tear it up. STs should be making a statement too I would imagine after giving up the big return and missing a routine FG.

Reaction score
This is game four and that time of year when our opponents are getting film study on us,
especially on our potent defense on the last three games.

Yeah, this game should be interesting to watch on National TV.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Something's wrong with ESPN Analytics if that's the result they're getting.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m ecstatic that our record is 3-0. But, I need to see more production from the O and at least some sign of a run D. I want to give MLF a fair chance, but my feeling is he’s not capable of putting together a solid game plan against a really good team. The division is up for grabs this season.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think we’ll be ok weeds. Our offense gets off the schneid, and our defense continues to tear it up. STs should be making a statement too I would imagine after giving up the big return and missing a routine FG.

The thing that gives me pause is that the Pack have all but depended on the defense creating turnovers and awarding a missing offense with a short field.

I recognize that is a GOOD thing, but I feel as though we're living and dying with the turnover. I also recognize I'm not telling any of you something you don't already know but, we can't bank on a good Philly team stinking just for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is game four and that time of year when our opponents are getting film study on us,
especially on our potent defense on the last three games.

To be fair, I believe the Packers also get to study other teams film, so that doesn't really separate 1 team from another, in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The thing that gives me pause is that the Pack have all but depended on the defense creating turnovers and awarding a missing offense with a short field.

See 1985 Bears. A +23 in turnovers can happen and can take a team to the Super Bowl.

The Packers currently lead the NFL with a +6.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I recognize that is a GOOD thing, but I feel as though we're living and dying with the turnover. I also recognize I'm not telling any of you something you don't already know but, we can't bank on a good Philly team stinking just for us.
I can appreciate your caution, and I agree there are still Champion players on that team.

However, we were going to live & die by the turnover, so to speak, no matter what during the early stretch of the season. D is carrying the O while they get up to speed with LaFleur’s scheme.

Our defense comprised of new contributors at FS, SS, OLB, DT, is ascending. Our offense, with two additions at OG, with nearly every other position returning players from 2018 will be playing game 4 of a new scheme. Their output on O has been steadily ascending all 3 games, and I see them continuing that ascent v. a depleted PHI defense.

Add to that our STs are also ascending, while PHI’s STs is near the NFL’s lowest ranked.

I’m thinking this should be really, really cool!!!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well you never know ... Jordan Howard may have a fumble or two still left in the tank. Also a little curious as to how Pettine might scheme to cover Ertz out there, he can kinda become the forgotten guy.

As big a challenge as this game is, I'm actually feeling more and more confident about our chances now. Maybe it's not only because we've gotten to 3-0, but just the feeling that things with LaFleur and his system are starting to click now. Obviously the win streak won't last forever with big games on the road in Dallas, Kansas City and San Francisco, but it's starting to look more like we can do better than 9-7.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alshon Jeffery and tight end Dallas Goedert are expected to be available for Thursday Nights game. That is bad news for the Packers. I am probably wrong, but Jeffery always seems to have good games against the Packers. Goedert will be another weapon the Eagles use to exploit the Packers short, middle of the field defense.

The Eagles have only 3 healthy CB's: Rasul Douglas, Sidney Jones and Avonte Maddox.

Aaron you have been notified.....time to light it up!
that was against the old defensive backfield that everyone had a good game against. he's good but he won't scorch these guys. the TE is the worry. holman (our best press cover) is back.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to today's ESPN QB weakness article, Wentz leads the league since 2017 in "should have been INT" passes with 28.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some statistics on the Eagles thus far:

Yards/Play: 5.2, 24th (Packers- 4.8, 28th)
Yds/Pass: 6.7, 27th (Packers- 7.0, 26th)
Pass Attempts: 123, 6th (Packers- 93, 28th)
Yds/Carry: 3.6, 25th (Packers- 3.2, 27th)
Rush Attempts: 82, 13th (Packers- 78, 15th)
Pts/Game: 25.3, 9th (Packers- 19.3, 23rd)
Giveaways: 5, 7thT (Packers-2, 28th)

Yds Allowed/Play: 5.9, 19th (Packers- 5.0, 7th)
Yds Allowed/Pass: 7.6, 18th (Packers- 6.3, 6th)
Yds Allow/Rush: 2.9, 2nd (Packers- 4.9 27th)
Sacks: 2, 31st (Packers- 12, 3rdT)
Pts/Game: 26, 24th (Packers- 11.7, 2nd)
Takeaways: 3, 17th (Packers- 8, 1st)

Previous Games (Eagles):
  • Vs. Washington; 32-27 Win; Washington (0-3) 30th in scoring defense and 20th in scoring offense
  • @ Atlanta; 24-20 Loss; Atlanta (1-2) 21st in scoring defense and 22nd in scoring offense
  • Vs. Detroit; 27-24 Loss; Detroit (2-0-1) 20th in scoring defense and 16th in scoring offense
Previous Games (Packers):
  • @ Chicago; 10-3 Win; Chicago (2-1) 3rd in scoring defense and 26th in scoring offense
  • Vs. Minnesota; 21-16 Win; Minnesota (2-1) 6th in scoring defense and 7th in scoring offense
  • Vs. Denver; 27-16 Win; Denver (0-3) 17th in scoring defense and 30th in scoring offense
So what to make of all of this?
  • There are a number of similarities-- especially offensive inefficiency and having had two games at home.
  • The Packers' defense overall, especially in regards to pass defense, sacks, and takeaways, has been significantly better.
  • The Eagles' run defense has been the strength of their defense and the Packers' its weakness.
  • The Packers have faced the superior defenses by a wide margin.
  • The Eagles have generally faced better scoring offenses, but the most effective unit of the bunch (MIN) has been a Packer opponent.
  • Conclusion: This Philly defense should offer an opportunity for the Packers to take another step forward on offense. They are the worst unit by a fairly wide margin that Green Bay will see in this first quarter of the season. However, if the Packers offense sputters once again, the running game may spell trouble for them. If the game script is positive or neutral for the Eagles, they may be able to take advantage of a soft rushing attack. If Green Bay can jump up early, then I would guess it's lights out for Wentz & Co. The biggest reason for optimism in this game is really just the simple reality that the Eagles are travelling 1,000 miles on short rest with a fairly banged up squad.
  • Prediction: 34-20 Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
who leads the league in passes that should have thrown? lol

I would say that I lead the league in passes that I should have thrown, had I been a lot taller, more athletic, had an arm like a cannon, ate more Wheaties....oh and a lot younger and not sitting on my couch during games.

Members online

Latest posts