1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Week 2 playcalling - YOUR thoughts?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Aug 20, 2006.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I liked most of the playcalls that I se...HEARD. I did hear we had a couple empty backfield pass plays, and with the way our O-line played LAST week, that was scary to hear. I am happy our o-line cowboyed up, and did the job, and let Favre work. What did you guys see?

2. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I thought Rossely and Sherman together had become way to predictable. So anything that is different feels good to me. I found tonight's game refreshing, but remember, they haven't put everything in yet and they're doing just basic stuff.

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    true that.

4. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I liked the Reverse that went to Driver and he ran for 20 yards it was a good trick play Favre ran out there and rolled infront of some people. It was nice to see Favre with a smile on his face.

I think one reason our O-Line did so poor last week is because we were not ready for the 3-4 defense

5. Tylaa

Tylaa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it was pretty good... Didnt pay close attention to the play calling on def but the offense play calling was pretty tricky. Hook routs long balls swing outs. V nice

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    and WR reverses (that WORK)!

7. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I think the playcalling has been very good in both preseason games so far. It seems like McCarthy has a knack for playcalling. I hope it carries on throughout the regular season and hopefully the playoffs! :thumbsup:

8. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The play calling was much improved this week.
    This was more what I expected as McCarthy brings us back to more of a true west coast offense.

9. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The short slant has returned...with stellar results!

10. krd005

krd005 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    only complaint is the first series again............we need to do something on the first series!!!

3 and outs are bad

11. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hard to evaluate this in preseason, but if forced to evaluate this early, I'd say pathetic in game one (but so was the execution) and much improved in game two.

I especially appreciated the between series and plays adjustments. Atlanta was leaving the middle of the field open and the Packers adjusted and attacked it -- resulting in the big plays. I also enjoyed the large number of audibles -- a big change from recent years.

12. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the play calling was great!!! Packers seemed more physical and got finally some interceptions..hopefully this second game is how they will play all season..:)

13. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, well you see Bruce.

Rossley and Sherman had a plan see, it was all scripted on a piece of paper, and they were not going to deviate from it no matter what because it was all planned out and written down on this piece of paper, so that meant it was set in stone.

14. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Above all else, I liked the brisk pace throughout on offense. Very efficient and demanding on the defenders.

15. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Sherman had a script. He made it in five days, then the day before the game he changed it. It's a huge reason why the coachs that left blasted him. He would rarely ask for advice and when he did, he ignored it. As if to only ask for the sake of asking.
    Sherman outthought himself so the other team didn't have to.

His next stint as a coach I hope he learns to trust his staff more.

16. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I like the fact that were were commited to get the run going. Brett audibled to a few changes and one was a 1 step through to driver when that side of the field showed blitz.

the o-line did a better job of giving the QB time, and the run set up play action very well.

There were a few empty back fields that I didn't care for, but the receivers were getting open. Even Fergie looked good twice.

17. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The biggest difference I saw was in the pace that was set. MM wants it up tempo to get the "O" in a flow.

They got it done this week.

I't right up BF's alley too. He seems to play his best when he's getting them up to the line quickly. It gives him the advantage of seeing what the the defense is doing and calling plays from the line.

You know he was feeling it with that pass over the middle to Driver.

Now that was a thing of beauty.

18. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    For those who saw the game and not listened to it, they used the same formation for 90% of the plays. The TE comes off the line , goes into motion and the side he rolls to, is where they will zone block to. Since this is Jeff's baby and he ripped it off from Gibbs, the Falcon showed the same deal. Our D should have and did sniff out most of the runs since they practice against it everyday. If it wasn't for Brett audibling a few times, there would have been more 3 and outs. Najeh looked pretty good to me considering the injury he was coming off. By the 3rd quarter if this was a real game he would have broken some long runs as the D would have been a bit beat up from the first 2 quarters.