Week 2: on to Minnesota

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, the Vikings most likely don't win the game against the Titans if they don't force three turnovers. Fortunately the Packers rarely give the ball away.

The Packers "rarely" turn the ball over but they did in last year's division title game. Can't have any of this this week.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Captain-Munnerlyn-Recovers-The-Fumble-For-A-TD/ecf84940-27c9-4ab2-a0ac-1d9db0cbd846

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...-Rodgers/3bc3cf09-28cd-42eb-93a7-2a9b6cb0cdea

Two plays and a 14 point swing in the game.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Packers offense needs to be prepared this week. Any poor communication, mindless pentalities could cost them the game. That being said, I see this being a defensive battle. I believe Packers offense vs. Vikings defense will be one of the best match-ups of the week. I also believe Packers defense could obliterate the Vikings offense. The D could come away with more TD's then the O this week.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing defensive. Simpy pointing out facts. And it depends on what you consider a good defense. Yards? Rushing yards? Passing yards? Or Points? Really, how many yards are given up is a moot point if the points are not given up. What would you rather have, a team that gave up 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing but 25 point per game, or a team that gave up 300 yards passing 150 yards rushing and 17 points per game? Personally, I'll take the 17 ppg. Screw the yards.

I am done debating with you bc you wont listen to criticism of the vikings. Their defense didn't give up a ton of points last week which is great but there were signs that points are there against the defense. That is obvious. A bad offense was in Minnesota territory a ton of the game. The Vikings defense is good but I think the chance to score is there. Jax offense and Titans offense are vastly different animals by the way.

What can I say you wont try to argue with? The Vikings defense had an elite showing against the Titans. There you go

gmseb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 keys for This game :

-Take care of the football for Packers's Offense
-Stop AP

OnDeMandrew

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense needs to be prepared this week. Any poor communication, mindless pentalities could cost them the game. That being said, I see this being a defensive battle. I believe Packers offense vs. Vikings defense will be one of the best match-ups of the week. I also believe Packers defense could obliterate the Vikings offense. The D could come away with more TD's then the O this week.

Completely agree with you on this, but Dom capers defense relies on the offense getting ahead, forcing the opposing team to pass a lot, from there it's all about rushing the passer heavily, forcing them to turn it over to the secondary, which is why the run D has never really been emphasized. This year all the pieces are in place defensively, if the offense starts clicking, it's going to pick city in Green Bay.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom did a masterful job gameplanning for AP in the first game last year. The DL stepped up and played one of the best games ive seen from a packers d in a long time. Gonna need a similar performance.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Titan rush defense is better than the Packers. At leas it was last year. This year, who knows. We will find out Sunday night.

It is. But the GB secondary is much better, so they can stack the box and play man.

Don't take this guy's word on anything. The Titan's gave up 7 rushing yards per game less than us last year against a worse schedule. Weighting for strength of schedule, Green Bay's rush defense was better, though neither was impressive (19th in DVOA for GB vs 24th for the Titans). As for secondary, it's laughable that this guy wants to contend that Tennessee is better.

I'm not sure what you were expecting to find here, Raptorman, but a Shaun Hill/Sam Bradford quarterbacked team isn't gonna scare most teams with Super Bowl aspirations, regardless of what that team's defense did to one of the league's perennial bottom dwellers.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Pennel to rotate in, i'm not making any bets on our run defense. We're short on big guys, and it isn't going to help us. I think we still have a good defense, but it's not like our strength is Dline right now.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Pennel to rotate in, i'm not making any bets on our run defense. We're short on big guys, and it isn't going to help us. I think we still have a good defense, but it's not like our strength is Dline right now.

Sure, I wasn't making the argument that our run D was a strength (just that the Titans isn't either), but against a one dimensional team the dline doesn't have to do it by itself. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Peterson has another great game against us, but I still don't think they have enough to beat us on that alone. I think it would take a monster game from Peterson and some big breaks for them on D.

I don't want to get too much into the Jags game, but I thought that play calling (lack of aggressiveness down the stretch) more than our overall play was the reason Jacksonville had a chance to win at the end. Honestly, for the first game of the season, I walked away more encouraged than anything, despite a close win against a potentially up and coming, but yet to prove it, team.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We faced a much better offense week 1 then MN did. Marcus Mariota is beginning to look like a bust.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some final thoughts (generalizations) about Minnesota. I actually really like Mike Zimmer, and think he's a great coach who very rapidly changed the trajectory of that franchise. I think the strength of Minnesota heading into this season was that they were a very balanced team - not exceptional on offense or defense - but both units were very solid and young and getting better. That said, with the injury to Bridgewater, I don't think their defense is at the level that it can carry it's now below par offense week in and week out. Again, I think their D is very good, and in spurts is capable of carrying their team against inferior opponents (see Week 1), but it's just not elite yet IMO. And for anyone who thinks Bradford will be able to fill in for Bridgewater and have the offense operating on a similar level, I submit that you haven't seen enough of Sam Bradford.

I know that we're playing a well-coached rival on the road in a new stadium, but this is a game that a good team should expect to win.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully there won't be any glitches with the site this sunday.

can't wait for week 2. thank goodness it's sunday night, on nbc, and I don't have to stream it.

our O better click this sunday!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pressure is on them, not us. They are opening their stadium against the division rival and it would suck for them to have the Packers come rain on their parade. They will need to rely on their defense to make turnovers, which we hardly ever do. AP looked pretty human yesterday.

I could be wrong but I think I looked it up correctly. The last 3 times an NFC North team opened a new stadium or a newly renovated stadium they lost to a division rival (regular season only) In 2002 the Packers beat the Lions at brand new Ford Field, in 2003 the Packers beat the Bears in the newly renovated Soldier Field and also in 2003 the vikings beat the Packers in newly renovated Lambeau Field. Lets hope we can make it a sweep.

Nothing defensive. Simpy pointing out facts. And it depends on what you consider a good defense. Yards? Rushing yards? Passing yards? Or Points? Really, how many yards are given up is a moot point if the points are not given up. What would you rather have, a team that gave up 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing but 25 point per game, or a team that gave up 300 yards passing 150 yards rushing and 17 points per game? Personally, I'll take the 17 ppg. Screw the yards.

True but in general the more you move the ball the easier it is to score points or at least if you can't move the ball you will have difficulty scoring points. Leaving the points given up out of it if I simply asked you would you rather have a defense that gave up 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing or a or a defense that gave up 300 yards passing 150 yards rushing how would you answer and why?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I am done debating with you bc you wont listen to criticism of the vikings. Their defense didn't give up a ton of points last week which is great but there were signs that points are there against the defense. That is obvious. A bad offense was in Minnesota territory a ton of the game. The Vikings defense is good but I think the chance to score is there. Jax offense and Titans offense are vastly different animals by the way.

What can I say you wont try to argue with? The Vikings defense had an elite showing against the Titans. There you go
Stop debating me because I don't agree with your assessment is more like it. "Bad Offense was in Minnesota territory a ton of the game." Facts seem to show different. Granted, the first half they ended up on the MN 36, 10 45 and 6 yard line. Putting up 10 points. The second half, well not quite as good. So I don't know were you get the line from.

Titans possessions in the second half.
Code:
Started on.         Net yards.       Ended on.
Ten 20                   9           Ten 20  Punt
Ten 34                  42            MN 24  Interception
Ten 25                  -1           Ten 24  Punt
Ten 25                  -1           Ten 25  Fumble
Ten 25                  18           Ten 43  Fumble
Ten 15                 -10           Ten  5  Punt
Ten 26                  74            MN  4  Touchdown

Looks like the Titans spent the entire second half on the Vikings side of the field. Of course the pick 6 was just luck. Just luck that E. Griffen was in the QB's face and he tried to force it to prevent a sack. Just luck that Kendricks stepped in front and took it away. Now the fumble for a TD? That was nothing but luck. And let's not forget that another interception was lost because of a bonehead play by Griffen. Had he not pushed the QB late, the Titans wouldn't have scored in the second half.

Oh, BTW, I expect the Packers to win this game. But it's going to be closer than most Packer fans think.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop debating me because I don't agree with your assessment is more like it. "Bad Offense was in Minnesota territory a ton of the game." Facts seem to show different. Granted, the first half they ended up on the MN 36, 10 45 and 6 yard line. Putting up 10 points. The second half, well not quite as good. So I don't know were you get the line from.

Titans possessions in the second half.
Code:
Started on.         Net yards.       Ended on.
Ten 20                   9           Ten 20  Punt
Ten 34                  42            MN 24  Interception
Ten 25                  -1           Ten 24  Punt
Ten 25                  -1           Ten 25  Fumble
Ten 25                  18           Ten 43  Fumble
Ten 15                 -10           Ten  5  Punt
Ten 26                  74            MN  4  Touchdown

Looks like the Titans spent the entire second half on the Vikings side of the field. Of course the pick 6 was just luck. Just luck that E. Griffen was in the QB's face and he tried to force it to prevent a sack. Just luck that Kendricks stepped in front and took it away. Now the fumble for a TD? That was nothing but luck. And let's not forget that another interception was lost because of a bonehead play by Griffen. Had he not pushed the QB late, the Titans wouldn't have scored in the second half.

Oh, BTW, I expect the Packers to win this game. But it's going to be closer than most Packer fans think.

4 times in the first half is quite a bit. 5 of the first 8 times is a high amount for a team like Tennessee. The Vikings defense was dominant over that next four drive stretch once they got a lead

Did I say the turnovers were just luck? If I did that was foolish. I actually thought the int was a better play by who provided the pressure than Kendricks because the guy actually was on although he would have been stopped for a short game

I think most fans here expect a very close game. Everyone I have seen has been within a score mostly a fg

Last edited:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings are cursed ! They will never win a Super Bowl ! Ed Thorp zapped Teddy ! Maybe an Exorcism might help ?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...kers-defense-out-earn-equal-billing/90259388/

There's been a lot of talk about how great Minnesota's defense is and how they had the 5th ranked D in the league last year while the Packers were only 15th. But that doesn't tell the real or whole story.

The Packers D allowed only 37 more total yards last season than the Viqueens so that's the difference between 15th and 5th in the listing. The Packers allowed an average of 20.2 ppg to Minny's 18.9 but that includes points scored by the opposition on offensive turnovers as well. Green Bay held opponents to under 20 points in a game 7 times in 2015; the Vikes did 10.

But taking a look at more telling stats shows that the Packers' D is at least as good as theirs, at least based on the 2015 performance.

The Packers defense gave up 6.1 ypc on their passing defense, the Queens 6.2.

The ypc rushing against the Packers was 4.5, against the Vikings 4.3.

The Pack had 43 qb sacks, 16 INT's, 6 fumble recoveries. They had 43 sacks, 13 INT's and 9 fumble recoveries.

The average number of plays per drive was 5.7 (GB) to 5.9(M). The average opponent time of possession perdrive was 2:37 (GB) to 2:42(M). The average net yards per drive against the Packers was 30.4 to 31.1 against the Viqueens. The opponent scoring average per drive against the Packers was 1.66 to 1.70 for the Vikings.

The Packers defense allowed a score on 31.3% of the opponent drives against them; The Queens allowed 33.3%. The Packers forced a turnover on 11.5% of opponent drives against them while Minny did it 11.9% of the time.

Stats are from profootballreference.com

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe this was mentioned in a post and I missed it, but one area the Packers got a bit "lucky" with concerning the Jags game was Chris Ivory being a last second scratch. Ivory was a 1000 + yard rusher last year and one can only think that his presence would have helped the Jags and their running game. While I liked the way our run defense looked (holding the Jags to 48 rushing yards) I don't think we should get over confident about that aspect of the defense just yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Completely agree with you on this, but Dom capers defense relies on the offense getting ahead, forcing the opposing team to pass a lot, from there it's all about rushing the passer heavily, forcing them to turn it over to the secondary, which is why the run D has never really been emphasized. This year all the pieces are in place defensively, if the offense starts clicking, it's going to pick city in Green Bay.

I'm worried about the Packers run defense. This week will be a good test for the unit.

I don't want to get too much into the Jags game, but I thought that play calling (lack of aggressiveness down the stretch) more than our overall play was the reason Jacksonville had a chance to win at the end.

Miscommunication on offense on several plays possibly cost the Packers a total of eight points and resulted in the Jaguars to stay within a score.

I haven't seen any poster predicting the Packers to win in a blowout.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this was mentioned in a post and I missed it, but one area the Packers got a bit "lucky" with concerning the Jags game was Chris Ivory being a last second scratch. Ivory was a 1000 + yard rusher last year and one can only think that his presence would have helped the Jags and their running game. While I liked the way our run defense looked (holding the Jags to 48 rushing yards) I don't think we should get over confident about that aspect of the defense just yet.

While I dont think Ivory is really that good your point is important. Jax is not a good running team so if we act like the run defense is going to stop AP because we could stop Jax we are wrong. We need to limit AP not shut him down. I would be shocked to see the Vikings win with AP being held under 100 yards. Wimm posted that most of the times that has happened in this matchup were when Favre played qb for the Vikings. Hill and Bradford are not Favre.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts