Week 2 home opener: Packers v.s. Vikings

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota's great offense will come down to earth against us, but I also think that our defense will show some of its warts. We will bring out the worst in each other.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm getting worried about one of our favorite Viking posters.....has anyone seen Raptorman? Not like him to not show up by now to weigh in on both the Packers and the Vikings.

I will bait him to come with this great Tweet this morning:

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

·
The Falcons outgained the Vikings 345-269, ran 18 more plays, committed fewer penalties and won time of possession. They lost because they turned the ball over 3 times and could't tackle Dalvin Cook.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm getting worried about one of our favorite Viking posters.....has anyone seen Raptorman? Not like him to not show up by now to weigh in on both the Packers and the Vikings.

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

·
The Falcons outgained the Vikings 345-269, ran 18 more plays, committed fewer penalties and won time of possession. They lost because they turned the ball over 3 times and could't tackle Dalvin Cook.

And because they allowed a punt to be blocked.

Reaction score
Minnesota's great offense will come down to earth against us, but I also think that our defense will show some of its warts. We will bring out the worst in each other.
I think this could actually come down to an under-lier of the ST battles and the ratio of takeaways.
Also, Our D Line needs to challenge our DBs to be aggressive off the LOS and disturb/slow their routes. Tangle them good out of the blocks and expect throws to come out slightly premature as the pocket gets diced.

I’d also spy Cook with a Safety rather than let him eat us alive. MN will undoubtedly try to counter our formidable pass rush with short dump passes out of the backfield. That’s Darnell’s specialty, blowing by before the block gets set and tangling with the RB still in the backfield until Martinez comes in like a hammer.

Kirk is a good QB, but he’s gonna have a load thrown at him by Pettine. This isn’t the Atlanta D and it’s certainly not our typical GB Defense. While it’s true that Chicago was rusty.. it’s also true we gave them absolute fits and gang tackling like i can’t remember us ever doing. We’re likely somewhere between MN and a Chicago D, this ain’t no cakewalk for MN.

The only chance they have is shutting down Rodgers to less than 20 pts. It’s payback time and this crowd is going to be rowdy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted our rivalry is with Chicago, but for me I've always despised Minnesota with a passion. That is the one team I will never cheer for, and I always hope we beat the breaks off of them. If we lose to Chicago, i'm fine with it, but Minnesota, that ruins my week.

I think for me it all started when Moss pretended to moon the crowd and we lost the way we did to them in the playoffs. I laugh about it now, but I remember how much I despised him for doing that and for The Vikings beating us. Plus their fans are obnoxious.

Same here. I grew up a little over an hour from the twin shitties and grew up despising the vikings and for me it was way before Randy Moss. In fact I have hated the vikings for longer than I have loved the Packers. I won't say I would never cheer for them but the circumstances need top be just right. If a viking win would put the Packers in the playoffs or would keep them from being eliminated I might think about it.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Their rushing game was pretty good against the Falcons. But I agree with you, I will put it our there again...OUR D is going to be very good this year!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

·
And the only stat that matters is 28-12. :)

And of course to all Packer fans those turnovers were the fault of the Falcons and the Vikings just "lucked" into them.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Nice observation. I was coming here to post just that, along with stating that LaFleur utilizes tight ends far more than Green Bay offenses in the past. Rodgers completed 18 balls last Thursday, and 6 of them (or 33%) were to tight ends. I think it's fair to assume LaFleur will incorporate a plan to get the TE's involved in this one.
Last 4 games against Zimmer and the Vikings J. Jones averaged 45 yards per game. TE's maybe the key, but can they catch enough balls to win the game?

Matt Ryan had 111 yards in the Falcons last two drives in the 4th quarter. Yeah, the Falcons won the 4th quarter. But the Vikings won the first 3.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It shows that stats out of context are just numbers.

Welcome back Raptorman. You saw Pokerbrats' Raptor Signal in the sky?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It shows that stats out of context are just numbers.

Welcome back Raptorman. You saw Pokerbrats' Raptor Signal in the sky?
Nah, been lurking for a few days. On something like 9 boards now. 4 Packer, a Ram, Bear, Lions and 2 Vikings.

H

HardRightEdge

One thing is certain. Minnesota has better offensive weaponry than Chicago, so we'll know more about this defense come Sunday. The good news is Minnesota's defense, likely to be a fine outfit this season, does not measure up to Chicago's which is right up there with the 2015 Broncos or the Legion of Boom.

Just don't hand the ball over like Atlanta did.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rashan Gary was pretty disruptive in the handful of snaps he received on Thursday. I bet they give him more snaps against the Vikings. Also wouldn't be surprised if we see Jenkins on the field. Rookie draft class could really start to make its presence felt, with Savage already playing great football.

Agreed and if you missed all 6 of his snaps, here they are. Pay close attention to his 5th snap. He and Lowery agreed on this stunt before the play, Gary and Z Dog arrive at Chicbiscuit together to force a bad pass.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170396615515025408

H

HardRightEdge

Granted our rivalry is with Chicago....
To my way of thinking, a win over the Bears is more "valuable" than others when looking for a consolation prize during a losing season. Sure, a division win might prove to have more value than others in a tie breaker, but beyond that, as far as I'm concerned, the "rivalry" is with whoever is on the schedule in the current week.

In the '70's and 80's, those consolation prizes, when the team could manage them, was the best to be had. Prior to the four division set-up in 1967, it was win the Conference or go home in a 12 or 14 game schedule. In years where both franchises had good teams, those wins were critical in an all-or-nothing playoff set-up.

As it stands now, the strongest team in the division should be regarded as the rival. That might be the Bears. It might be the Vikings. Too early to tell. Not often, but at times, that has been the Lions. Getting to the playoffs and beyond is the object. Bragging rights in a losing season is thin gruel.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's it been? 2 years since we've beaten the Lions? I hate everyone in the division this year LOL

H

HardRightEdge

what's it been? 2 years since we've beaten the Lions? I hate everyone in the division this year LOL
Right. Dropped 4 in a row to the Lions. They'll definitely be the rival when Week 6 rolls around with the season still in the balance. Week 17? If the Packers have the #1 seed wrapped up by then ;), a bunch of starters will sit out and nobody will care much one way or the other just as would be the case if it was the Bears.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And the only stat that matters is 28-12. :)

And of course to all Packer fans those turnovers were the fault of the Falcons and the Vikings just "lucked" into them.

Well unless a team can demonstrate that they have some strategy for blocking punts and forcing/recovering fumbles that is just better than anyone else's, those are basically luck. They would be for the Packers too, I'd say.

The first pick was not luck. Yes, the pass was off the mark a but, but the play on the ball was excellent. It was wrestled away from Jones.

The second pick was lucky in that it could have been a penalty rather than a turnover. That's my opinion. I'm not calling it egregious, but I would bet that play draws a flag half the time in this league.

But what wasn't luck at all was the consistent pressure on Ryan and the rushing attack.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is certain. Minnesota has better offensive weaponry than Chicago, so we'll know more about this defense come Sunday. The good news is Minnesota's defense, likely to be a fine outfit this season, does not measure up to Chicago's which is right up there with the 2015 Broncos or the Legion of Boom.
While I hate to see anyone get injured, it will help that Mackensie Alexander (CB) apparently dislocated his elbow on Sunday. We obviously won't know his status until later this week, but I'd welcome the notion for some of their starters to miss the game.

H

HardRightEdge

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

·
Who's Raptorman?

As for the rest, turnovers kill unless you're the Bills playing the Jets. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

While I hate to see anyone get injured, it will help that Mackensie Alexander (CB) apparently dislocated his elbow on Sunday. We obviously won't know his status until later this week, but I'd welcome the notion for some of their starters to miss the game.
On the subject of injuries, nothing new with the Packers. That's something we've not been able to say post-game very often in recent years. Burks and Shepard remain DNPs. Holman was a non-contact participant.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if our pass rush gets our first forced turnover. I can’t wait for Rashan to get that first blindside sack. He’s so light on his feet at his weight, he’s going to absolutely demolish someone in the backfield once he gets his groove on. We’ve been toying with him after his minor preseason injury a few weeks ago. I’d unleash him for 35 snaps or so this game, he needs the seasoning and to get the monkey off his back with a big play.

Members online

Latest posts