Week 12 Rams pregame and postgame thread.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why so many keep saying Rasul plays well in our system. Personally, I just think he is a good football player. Maybe coaches just did not like his combine numbers and never gave him much of a chance. That can go both ways. A player with great combine numbers can get too many chances. I guess maybe coaches are like fantasy players...they just like to go with someone they had picked out so they can be right.
Being a good football player doesn't guarantee that your skill sets match the needs of a specific offense or defense. As a prime example, when we went to a 3-4 defense from a 4-3, one of our best edge rushers at the time, had a difficult time converting to outside linebacker, and we ended up replacing him. That's what's referred to when saying fitting the system. It's like having a roll-out, option QB versus a pocket passer. Those differences can be huge.

Credit to those who said Rasul would fit into the role they asked him to play. He's done it well, and excelled. But to believe he was a sought after veteran that people thought highly of isn't quite right. The Packers are playing him around $800k a year, which I think is minimum or close to bottom? He's really been a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

But, in defense of what you said, the talent was always there. It just hadn't been explored by coaching staffs, and utilized. Now it's going to be easier to see. He's going to be a much tougher sign.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why so many keep saying Rasul plays well in our system. Personally, I just think he is a good football player. Maybe coaches just did not like his combine numbers and never gave him much of a chance. That can go both ways. A player with great combine numbers can get too many chances. I guess maybe coaches are like fantasy players...they just like to go with someone they had picked out so they can be right.
I think that for most fans, it wasn't about Rasul in college. I believe that the Packers are his fourth team in as many years. He was drafted by and played for the Panthers but then they cut him before his rookie contract expired. Then he picked up with someone like Denver briefly, and ended up on Arizona's practice squad. It seems that most people have zoned in on the fact that he didn't mesh well or produce for those three teams, but then finally it all clicked with the Packers.

It could be that it took him time to adjust to the pro game. It could be that the coaches' styles in GB really click with him. It could be that Rasul is putting in a ton of more effort than he ever did. We don't really know but are happy that we are benefiting from it all!

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure how people still defend King. Maybe it’s Packer homerism. People were very fake about Randall too until he finally left.

King right now with everyone healthy is our 5th best CB and 4th best on the boundary.

I don’t know how people are so forgetful. He has proven time and time again he is not a starting quality CB. He bounced us from the playoffs last year. He has repeatedly been bad this season. The last action we saw him play this season was poor effort tackling Thielen and then he got benched right where he belongs.

D

Deleted member 6794

About the best thing we can say about King is that he's better than he was two years ago. He had way too many mental lapses back then. Then there was the issue of his tackling. It was pretty bad. I can't say that it's better now. But, Sullivan is learning. He might have a better high side than King. We'll see.

I don't consider Sullivan having a higher ceiling than King at all. He might end up being a more consistent player.

I don't know why so many keep saying Rasul plays well in our system. Personally, I just think he is a good football player. Maybe coaches just did not like his combine numbers and never gave him much of a chance.

Douglas received chances with other teams, playing a total of 2,370 snaps in the league before coming to Green Bay.

I think that for most fans, it wasn't about Rasul in college. I believe that the Packers are his fourth team in as many years. He was drafted by and played for the Panthers but then they cut him before his rookie contract expired. Then he picked up with someone like Denver briefly, and ended up on Arizona's practice squad.

Just for the record, Douglas was drafted by the Eagles in 2017 but was waived during final cutdowns in 2020. The Panthers picked him up at that point and he played with them last season.

This offseason he wasn't re-signed and ended up with the Raiders, Texans and Cardinals before Gutekunst signed him.

King right now with everyone healthy is our 5th best CB and 4th best on the boundary.

I don’t know how people are so forgetful. He has proven time and time again he is not a starting quality CB. He bounced us from the playoffs last year. He has repeatedly been bad this season. The last action we saw him play this season was poor effort tackling Thielen and then he got benched right where he belongs.

King is still the #4 cornerback on the depth chart when healthy. While he has been inconsistent this year he hasn't been terrible all year long.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fining Aaron Donald $10k is kind of ridiculous for a guy that has made $87 million. Below is a list of the fines he's gotten. Clearly he has trouble controlling his actions and emotions, yet the league keeps giving him the equivalent of a public shaming. He should be suspended before he really hurts somebody. Fines should be about curbing behavior, not just going through the motions. These small fines clearly aren't having the necessary effect.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fining Aaron Donald $10k is kind of ridiculous for a guy that has made $87 million. Below is a list of the fines he's gotten. Clearly he has trouble controlling his actions and emotions, yet the league keeps giving him the equivalent of a public shaming. He should be suspended before he really hurts somebody. Fines should be about curbing behavior, not just going through the motions. These small fines clearly aren't having the necessary effect.

Looks like he is taking over where Ndamukong Suh left off.

What I find "disturbing" about the Donald fines, are the biggest ones come when he has an "altercation" with an official. I mean come on $24,309 fine in 2016 for "threw a flag at official". Yet choking another player this year is only $10,300? How much for choking a ref?

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald has always played angry. It's what keeps his motor running.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My son and I laugh every time we watch him and remember Troy Aikman commenting last year that he thought Aaron Donald was better than Reggie White. I don’t remember Reggie ever purposely grabbing someone’s trachea.
Furthermore, I don’t remember Reggie getting frustrated by a second tier player like Lucas Patrick instead of simply tossing him aside to make a play.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My son and I laugh every time we watch him and remember Troy Aikman commenting last year that he thought Aaron Donald was better than Reggie White. I don’t remember Reggie ever purposely grabbing someone’s trachea.
Furthermore, I don’t remember Reggie getting frustrated by a second tier player like Lucas Patrick instead of simply tossing him aside to make a play.

To be fair, Reggie is probably the best comparison to Aaron Donald in what he can and does due in disruption. Character flaws aside of course.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair, Reggie is probably the best comparison to Aaron Donald in what he can and does due in disruption.
While I get your point, I'd rather compare Donald to Suh. No doubt that Suh was a phenomenal player in his prime, but all of his other shenanigans will tarnish his reputation forever. Hall of Fame for Suh and Donald? Probably, just based on football, not on their on the field character.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get your point, I'd rather compare Donald to Suh. No doubt that Suh was a phenomenal player in his prime, but all of his other shenanigans will tarnish his reputation forever. Hall of Fame for Suh and Donald? Probably, just based on football, not on their on the field character.

Suh never deserved a comparison IMO to Reggie ability wise. Donald did due to what he can and does do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’ll agree… but with admittedly Packer colored glasses on… I just don’t see the dominance with Donald that I saw with Reggie.

Reggie was a game wrecker almost all the way to the day he finally retired, which was what, like 38 years old? Donald was a total game wrecker in his prime, but I'm starting to wonder if he might be like a lot of this century's new high paid athlete that hits a career wall around 30 and fades off into the sunset a very wealthy player.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What really pissed me off is that the ref was right there… obviously saw the whole thing and even put his hand on Donald’s arm obviously telling him to stop… and yet threw no flag.
That is what is most irritating. The fine is like staying after school to clean the blackboard in 15 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts