We will be going to the Super Bowl

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The 2015 Packers will not be in Super Bowl 50. That being said, if we can get a solid WR or TE in the draft, we show TONS of hope for the future. I am a huge fan of defense, and our defense has been terrible up until this year. Fans are so upset because we are used to putting up 40-50 points a game. We are not there, but it doesn't mean we will not be there next year. I think Packer fans have a long future to be excited about. Just not Super Bowl 50. I am cheering for any team that is not New England or Seattle. So, go Steelers and Arizona.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Consider that talent, Aaron Rodger was drafted in 05, Nelson in 08, Matthews in 09, Shields and Williams were acquired prior to the 2010 campaign. Yes that team was plenty talented, and most of it had been with the team 4 years or more. My point it that we had soft drafts in 12 and 13 and 11 wasn't exactly outstanding. It's not like the misses were at positions brimming with talent. Thus far Datone Jones Nick Perry Derek Sherrod Casey Hayward and a number of others picked in those years played at positions of need but never turned into plus players at there positions.
But you posted, “We finally have the defense to get there…” so the picks on D since 2010 couldn’t have had that detrimental of an effect according to you, could they? Of course I wish the last five years of picks would have turned out better but again, the 4 of 5 first rounders who play defense haven’t hurt much if you have the opinion the D is good enough to win a title (and I think we agree the first picks in the last two drafts will turn out to be very good).

The offense returned intact from last year’s NFCCG until Jordy got hurt. Was there any reason after that game for Thompson to believe the offense would perform as poorly as it has this season? Said another way: Would it have been reasonable for Thompson after the NFCCG to assume the offense would perform its average since the title season? If it had, they would be about 4th in scoring as opposed to 15th. They would have averaged about 30 ppg this season instead of 23, and Aaron Rodgers would have a QB rating of about 112, instead of his lowest rating since he became a starter at 92.7. My point is while the drafts from 2011 to 2013 weren’t good they’re aren’t the main reason the offense has flopped. BTW, IMO the draft portion of Thompson’s draft & develop philosophy is a victim of its own success: Over the past five years, the Packers have averaged picking 27th (which IMO argues for more activity in free agency).
On the positive I think the young guys we've picked up in the last couple of years will elevate the team but we need to avoid stretches like 11-13 if we're going to win a Super Bowl in the near future. I suspect that that soft period had to do with Eliot Wolf's maturation as Director of Player Personnel. As he has gained experience at his position the drafts have improved. Oh also I think there was a bit of a change in philosophy in terms of drafting. During the buildup to the Super Bowl team of 2010 TT tended to focus more on physically talented high upside types like Rodgers Collins Matthews Finley and Nelson. Post Super Bowl the team seemed more focused on NFL ready high college production players like Mike Daniels Casey Hayward etc.
Interesting comment on a change in draft philosophy but I don’t think it can be attributed to Eliot Wolf. He just became director of player personnel in January of 2015. For the previous three years he was director of pro personnel.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you posted, “We finally have the defense to get there…” so the picks on D since 2010 couldn’t have had that detrimental of an effect according to you, could they? Of course I wish the last five years of picks would have turned out better but again, the 4 of 5 first rounders who play defense haven’t hurt much if you have the opinion the D is good enough to win a title (and I think we agree the first picks in the last two drafts will turn out to be very good).

I think the Defense fell off post super bowl because of the loss of key players like Collins and Jenkins as well as the decline of Charles Woodson. Again multiple drafts failed to adequately address defensive shortcomings until HHCD solidified the safety position and Julius Peppers was picked up in FA. Nick Perry and Datone Jones have failed to meet expectations, I say this and I've rooted for them at every turn.

The offense returned intact from last year’s NFCCG until Jordy got hurt. Was there any reason after that game for Thompson to believe the offense would perform as poorly as it has this season? Said another way: Would it have been reasonable for Thompson after the NFCCG to assume the offense would perform its average since the title season? If it had, they would be about 4th in scoring as opposed to 15th. They would have averaged about 30 ppg this season instead of 23, and Aaron Rodgers would have a QB rating of about 112, instead of his lowest rating since he became a starter at 92.7. My point is while the drafts from 2011 to 2013 weren’t good they’re aren’t the main reason the offense has flopped. BTW, IMO the draft portion of Thompson’s draft & develop philosophy is a victim of its own success: Over the past five years, the Packers have averaged picking 27th (which IMO argues for more activity in free agency). Interesting comment on a change in draft philosophy but I don’t think it can be attributed to Eliot Wolf. He just became director of player personnel in January of 2015. For the previous three years he was director of pro personnel.

I don't think so. I don't think that the limitations of Randall Cobb as a pure receiver were not apparent with Nelson nor could he have been evaluated without him although his routes and instincts on the boundaries should have given the packer brass pause. I also don't think that they expected Davante Adams to fail to improve much less to fall off like he did(his catch percentage has only dropped 4%, but of his yards per reception have dropped 2 yards a catch suggesting that he's been targeted with what should be higher percentage throws). I do think the Packer FO deserves criticism for not picking up better pass catching threats at the Tight End spot. It's nice to have a guy who can block better than a receiver and still stretch the seam.

Successful seasons do play a part in limiting the Packers success, but how many of our key players were picked up in the bottom of the first or in the second round? Rodgers, Matthews, Nelson, Collins etc. I think there was a decline in value and that it did effect our drafts but I have noticed that there seems to be a difference in the type of player selected. Guys who seem to be more ready to play on day 1 but maybe lack overall upside... then again that doesn't explain high upside guys like Perry and Jones.

As for Eliot Wolf he began assuming additional draft responsibilities in the 2011 offseason.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear(addressed to no one in particular), when Jordy Nelson played without Randall Cobb and with various backup QBs he stilll looked the part of a number 1 receiver. So don't float that Randall Cobb isn't getting any help crap.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, anything can happen in playoffs. But I do not think there is any shame in being realistic here. Everyone on this forum would love to see the packers plow through Washington, squeak by Arizona and pop champagne when we see the look on Pete Carroll's face when we recover the onside kick, win the toss in OT or give Eddie Lacy the ball on the 3 yard line to win the NFC Championship. But the fact of the matter is, our offense does not have championship caliber confidence and talent to win in the post season like that right now. This is not a bad thing. We have the second youngest team in the NFL. Our offense is not doomed. Last year they were arguably one of the best offenses in football and really have not lost anyone on the offense that was not due to injury. I think this is a positive. Maybe Ted Thompson will play a strong FA play this year. I am not saying a ridiculous move like spending 30 million for a Jimmy Graham (DUD), I am saying get an athletic utility player like Percy Harvin for 4 million a year; Brian Quick, Travis Benjamin, Inman, Marvin Jones, Jaron Brown if they are available; Or maybe beef up the defense a bit with Robert Ayers or Ahtyba Rubin; stack up the Linebackers with Bruce Irvin, Rolando McCalin or Derrick Johnson. I love the draft and develop mentality, but we need a big name to build some confidence in our team and draft an O-lineman in the first round.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
get an athletic utility player like Percy Harvin for 4 million a year; Brian Quick, Travis Benjamin, Inman, Marvin Jones, Jaron Brown if

Good lord please no Percy Harvin. We don't need a third Percy Harvin much less one that has a poor attitude and can never stay healthy.

If we're pursuing another WR we need a true WR not another gadget player.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, anything can happen in playoffs. But I do not think there is any shame in being realistic here. Everyone on this forum would love to see the packers plow through Washington, squeak by Arizona and pop champagne when we see the look on Pete Carroll's face when we recover the onside kick, win the toss in OT or give Eddie Lacy the ball on the 3 yard line to win the NFC Championship. But the fact of the matter is, our offense does not have championship caliber confidence and talent to win in the post season like that right now. This is not a bad thing. We have the second youngest team in the NFL. Our offense is not doomed. Last year they were arguably one of the best offenses in football and really have not lost anyone on the offense that was not due to injury. I think this is a positive. Maybe Ted Thompson will play a strong FA play this year. I am not saying a ridiculous move like spending 30 million for a Jimmy Graham (DUD), I am saying get an athletic utility player like Percy Harvin for 4 million a year; Brian Quick, Travis Benjamin, Inman, Marvin Jones, Jaron Brown if they are available; Or maybe beef up the defense a bit with Robert Ayers or Ahtyba Rubin; stack up the Linebackers with Bruce Irvin, Rolando McCalin or Derrick Johnson. I love the draft and develop mentality, but we need a big name to build some confidence in our team and draft an O-lineman in the first round.

Confidence, hell no.

Talent, this offense has quite a bit of talent. Again, Jordy doesn't single-handedly take this team from the verge of the SB to dreadful by being out. The starting offense from last years NFC Championship game is exactly the same offense we have now minus Jordy. Something else is going on.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got this feeling The Hawks and us will run the table and we will be hosting the NFC Champ game at home. Revenge is a dish best served cold and it will be cold in Green bay that day...
If it is any colder than it will be in Wisconsin and Minnesota this Sunday then COLD won't be the word. We'd all love the chance to play frozen Seahawks.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got this feeling The Hawks and us will run the table and we will be hosting the NFC Champ game at home. Revenge is a dish best served cold and it will be cold in Green bay that day...

I agree with you.. We cant go on ESPNs flavor of the day. It changes by the week. In the Post Season, its like a new season. If we listen to ESPN or news like them we are only bound to get depressed. I mean sports new outlets told us this in the beggining of the year that seattle and the colts were the team to beat, then they told us seattle is done, then now they are the team to beat again. They also told us Bengals were the team to beat and Psycho Tom and Ne are the team to beat, and the Redskins are in he NFC least and now are the hottest team. We were told Brock is the future for the Denver Brockos and now that MANning is the man... If there is any advice we should follow it is that of Yogi, It aint over till its over... Until we are eliminated there is no sense to assume its already over.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theyll get past Redskins. Theyll be able to pass on Carolina missing a CB.

but theyll have to travel to Minn. for the final game

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the history of football--or expand it to other sports--was there another team that was this far out of it that came back to win the championship? Looking for a parallel that can offer some hope.

For a non-sports analogy: How about the Chicago Daily Tribune's headline Dewey Defeats Truman?
Or 50-1 longshot Mine that Bird with jockey Calvin Borel in the Kentucky Derby, winning along the rail?

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings were up by 17 and the Vikings went into bend don't break defense. That is the only reason why the offense looked good for a minute and it is the only time the offense has looked good in weeks. By that I mean the end of the game when the opponent is up big and in bend but don't break defense

Oh poop. But that makes sense. I thought it was us doing well. But it was really them altering tactics.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
In the history of football--or expand it to other sports--was there another team that was this far out of it that came back to win the championship? Looking for a parallel that can offer some hope.

For a non-sports analogy: How about the Chicago Daily Tribune's headline Dewey Defeats Truman?
Or 50-1 longshot Mine that Bird with jockey Calvin Borel in the Kentucky Derby, winning along the rail?
How about the Mets in 1969?

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for some reason aside from all this frustration, despair, and lack of enthusiasm that is bottled up inside, I see the packs going all the way.

Reaction score
This team is a train wreck. The worst set of receivers in the league. A non-existent running game and an injury prone offensive line. Rodgers makes one bad decision after another. The defense is working hard but they are forced to spend way too much time on the field. They need to get an entirely new set of receivers in the off season. This team has about as much chance of making the Super Bowl as I do of becoming Pope.
Wait! Would your middle name happen to be John?? Lol

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest odds I saw were Washington by 1. That's really anybody's game.

In 2010, the Packers were suffering from no running game. I think Rodgers had the most yards. Then out of nowhere came James Starks. His big game was Jan 9 (I looked it up). That seemed to turn it all around for us.

Why can't we have some receivers come out of nowhere in similar fashion to Starks at the end of the season? I'm thinking Janis and Abbrederis to bolster the passing game, in this case.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should all be rooting for the Vikings to win. That would mean a trip to Carolina instead of Arizona for us in the divisional round. I think the Vikings have a better shot at beating Seattle than people think, too. It's going to be close to 0 F on Sunday. How often do the Seahawks play in that kind of weather?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who we play where. If youre scared of anyone anywhere you have no biz sniffing a Super Bowl. I'd love to see the Shehawks lose early,often, and by a LOT!!! Anyone but the Shehawks!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its time y'all put up or shut up on this team. I am now 200% sure this team will Plow its way to San Francisco to SB 50. Book your tickets GO PACK GO

Who'd you get your tickets from? And can I just whisper quietly? I really don't wanna shut up and I'm not 100% sure what it is I should be "putting up"; to be honest I'll probably be "taking down" some Christmas lights this weekend...

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The offense returned intact from last year’s NFCCG until Jordy got hurt. Was there any reason after that game for Thompson to believe the offense would perform as poorly as it has this season? Said another way: Would it have been reasonable for Thompson after the NFCCG to assume the offense would perform its average since the title season? If it had, they would be about 4th in scoring as opposed to 15th. They would have averaged about 30 ppg this season instead of 23, and Aaron Rodgers would have a QB rating of about 112, instead of his lowest rating since he became a starter at 92.7. My point is while the drafts from 2011 to 2013 weren’t good they’re aren’t the main reason the offense has flopped. BTW, IMO the draft portion of Thompson’s draft & develop philosophy is a victim of its own success: Over the past five years, the Packers have averaged picking 27th (which IMO argues for more activity in free agency). Interesting comment on a change in draft philosophy but I don’t think it can be attributed to Eliot Wolf. He just became director of player personnel in January of 2015. For the previous three years he was director of pro personnel.

While I somewhat agree with your stance... Isn't there a certain trickle down affect? Regardless of how they are playing now. Wouldn't the defense be better if they had hit on those picks. Wouldn't that have solved our problems on defense faster and got us back to taking more high-end talent on offense. Could it have made a difference last year in the NFCCG? Not saying that is the sole reason as you know, I blame that a lot of areas. But that doesn't mean that if we had more talent we couldn't have won just flat out. Also hitting on all those picks may have allowed us the luxury to trade up since we didn't have the same amount of needs.

While I agree with the premise that the team has worked through it. That doesn't take culpability away from missing on picks. A miss is a miss.