We had our Montana, now we get our Young

Techno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is clear to me that Brett Favre was one of the greats of Packer history. There will never be another like him. But now that our last great is gone a lot of us expected to get a loser.

I am pleasantly surprised to find otherwise. We went from an old great, to a young great not unlike the 49rs transition before. Anyone else agree?

Now i'm not saying that the exact transition was similar (it was not) but we have now two back to back greats.

deloj8809

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has not been an easy transition for most teams. Elway, Griese, Marino, Unitas and other NFL greats have not had a very successful successor.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When, not if, when A-Rod takes us to more than one Superbowls and wins it will be the other way around.
Furv=Young.
A-Rod = Montana.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Totally agree... favre and montana pocket passers... more seasoned... Rodgers and Young... sit behind for a couple of years... come in and have great seasons with their accuracy and athletic ability to run the ball... Love the comparison! ARod is a beast!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Sucks we have to wait till next year to see what this team can do. 2nd year of 3-4 should help improve the D (already was decent, can't say great after being dismantled on Sunday). Hopefully Al Harris will be back. Kampman is probably gone.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sucks we have to wait till next year to see what this team can do. 2nd year of 3-4 should help improve the D (already was decent, can't say great after being dismantled on Sunday). Hopefully Al Harris will be back. Kampman is probably gone.

Kampman is a class player and to be honest I hope he goes to a good team with a solid 4-3 where he can thrive. He deserves that. However, all of the kinks will be worked out in the defense, and offensive line jelled and re molded, and this is a young team that got the playoff experience they desperately needed. Matthews will be that much better. Raji will get into full swing (and IMHO thats terrifying), Rodgers will have receivers again + Finley, Grant looks like he is playing like a top RB finally, and most of all Donald Driver will look the same, lol. This is going to be a team to watch for many years to come. I wouldn't want to play them. They have taken the baby steps, and for some reason I honestly feel like this was the last one - getting that little taste then dramatic defeat they all needed to want it that much more. I am so excited for 2010 already.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup - and all the world's problems shall now be solved.

The thing is, just having a great QB means jack squat if you cannot field above average talent and coaching around him. Imagine if Rodgers leads Green Bay to playoffs almost yearly (like Favre), but every year there are key pieces missing from the equation, putting an inordinate amount of pressure on Rodgers (like Favre) to overcome the limitations.

TT needs to really get his head outta his *** this off season and solidify this team! :(

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the major problem with the o-line at the start of the season is that they hadn't played with each other for very long. When you play the line you need to know each other very well so you can help each other out with blocking and picking up blitz and creating passing lanes and running lanes. As the season went on and they got used to how each other play's and we got people back from injury the line got a lot better.

I think we have a pretty good team, do I think we need a HB that can compliment Grant yes, do we need more DB's yes. But I think the offense is solid and will take us to many more playoff games.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT needs to really get his head outta his *** this off season and solidify this team! :(

You're completely right. The talent on this team sucks. Look at all these scrubs that TT brought in.

Aaron Rodgers
Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Clay Matthews
AJ Hawk
Brad Jones
Ryan Pickett (FA)
Charles Woodson (FA)
Johnny Jolly
Ryan Grant (Waivers)
Atari Bigby
Nick Collins
BJ Raji
James Jones
Travis Hayner

O-line sucked the first half, secondary struggled after Harris was lost for the year. There's depth issues in those 2 areas. No team is perfect. What else would you like ***** about?? Would you rather have Mike Sherman running the show?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're completely right. The talent on this team sucks. Look at all these scrubs that TT brought in.

Aaron Rodgers
Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Clay Matthews
AJ Hawk
Brad Jones
Ryan Pickett (FA)
Charles Woodson (FA)
Johnny Jolly
Ryan Grant (Waivers)
Atari Bigby
Nick Collins
BJ Raji
James Jones
Travis Hayner

O-line sucked the first half, secondary struggled after Harris was lost for the year. There's depth issues in those 2 areas. No team is perfect. What else would you like ***** about?? Would you rather have Mike Sherman running the show?

What do you not understand about the term "SOLIDIFY"???

Holy freakin' **** are you people something else. :)

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Yup - and all the world's problems shall now be solved.

The thing is, just having a great QB means jack squat if you cannot field above average talent and coaching around him. Imagine if Rodgers leads Green Bay to playoffs almost yearly (like Favre), but every year there are key pieces missing from the equation, putting an inordinate amount of pressure on Rodgers (like Favre) to overcome the limitations.

Why the hell are you always so negative in every post that you have in regarding the Packers and its organization??? Just wondering?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the hell are you always so negative in every post that you have in regarding the Packers and its organization??? Just wondering?

Oh, I don't know? Maybe because what I try to do is prevent the eventual whining and conspiracy theories that envelope every ending of the Packers' season over the past 10 years.

You guys are unbelievable - you really are. On one hand, ya'll couldn't be happier with the Packers talent level and coaching. On the other hand, when Green Bay proves it isn't yet a playoff-advancing team, ya'll break into hysterics about how everybody is out to get the Green Bay Packers.

I appear negative to naive people. To people that are interested in perfection, I think I represent realism.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know? Maybe because what I try to do is prevent the eventual whining and conspiracy theories that envelope every ending of the Packers' season over the past 10 years.

You guys are unbelievable - you really are. On one hand, ya'll couldn't be happier with the Packers talent level and coaching. On the other hand, when Green Bay proves it isn't yet a playoff-advancing team, ya'll break into hysterics about how everybody is out to get the Green Bay Packers.

I appear negative to naive people. To people that are interested in perfection, I think I represent realism.

You were the one complaining about the lack of talent. I guess that means that "you guys" would include yourself. I think you should go back re-read your origional post. It sure didn't seem realistic to me.

Anyway, back on topic. There is something to be said about a rookie quarterback not being thrown into the fire straight away. It is much easier for a quarterback to be able to develop away from the limelight.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were the one complaining about the lack of talent. I guess that means that "you guys" would include yourself. I think you should go back re-read your origional post. It sure didn't seem realistic to me.

Anyway, back on topic. There is something to be said about a rookie quarterback not being thrown into the fire straight away. It is much easier for a quarterback to be able to develop away from the limelight.

What else do you call it when a QB is sacked 50 times in a season and the #2 ranked defense gives up 51 points in its first playoff game? You think there aren't some "tweaks" to be made to this coaching staff and team??? If not, get ready for another early exit next season.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Are you really a Packer fan??? It appears as if you are hoping for perfection which is not possible. This thread is meant to boast the moral of the Packer community after a tough loss and a good season, not to bash what we have which is our beloved GB Packers. Get lost! ***!

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What else do you call it when a QB is sacked 50 times in a season and the #2 ranked defense gives up 51 points in its first playoff game? You think there aren't some "tweaks" to be made to this coaching staff and team??? If not, get ready for another early exit next season.

Locate the door son.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I do think there should be tweaks made, I pretty much said so earlier in the thread. Position depth needs to improve. That would be the "tweak" I'm referring to. There's nothing wrong with the coaches that are in place. The 3-4 defense was in it's first year, and is still a work in progress. There are issues with the scheme that left us vulnerable in the middle of the field. I think it get addressed and that aspect improves next year. No one is getting fired becuase of that, and they shouldn't. This years defense was much improved from 2008, and it will continue to improve.

Is that "realistic" enough for you?

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think there should be tweaks made, I pretty much said so earlier in the thread. Position depth needs to improve. That would be the "tweak" I'm referring to. There's nothing wrong with the coaches that are in place. The 3-4 defense was in it's first year, and is still a work in progress. There are issues with the scheme that left us vulnerable in the middle of the field. I think it get addressed and that aspect improves next year. No one is getting fired becuase of that, and they shouldn't. This years defense was much improved from 2008, and it will continue to improve.

Is that "realistic" enough for you?

Couldn't have said this better myself, well put.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm the bad guy because I hold GM's, coaches and players responsible for their production, or lack thereof - not NFL officials.

The classics just never end in Packer forums. :)

Shot of Ginn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember haus from another forum, which of course he got banned in. He had the same banter and the key is to just ignore him, he won't change his mind, and his way or "arguing" is dissecting your post and not actually addressing your points and throwing back things like "classics" and other insults towards you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts