Was this the correct call ?

H

HardRightEdge

Probably not. But when you get a break, you run with it.

As an FYI, this was not a divisional playoff game. At that time there were no divisions, just 2 conferences. The Packers and Colts tied for the conference championship at 10-3-1. This was a conference playoff.

It goes to illustrate just one reason why it's so much harder to win a championship now than then. Today, even if you secure the best conference record, you need to win 3 playoff games to get the ring. Then it was typically just the one game, the championship, with playoffs such as this an uncommon exception.

Imagine the 15-1 Packers getting a ticket to the Super Bowl without having to pass go and collect $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at Don Chandler right after he kicked it.....looks like he thought he missed it. Different camera angles here might distort perception. Notice the metal plate under his kicking shoe ?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw an interview with Kramer about that once... he just smiled, and definitely did not deny it lol.

H

HardRightEdge

Franco Harris has been pretty sheepish about the Immaculate Reception in recent interviews. Brady got the tuck call. I'm sure there are other notable instances.

Somewhere along the line you get a lucky call, a lucky bounce. It's what you do with it that matters.

In 2014, Bryant's catch was overturned on review. The way they're calling it this year the catch would have stood up. The Packers did not capitalize.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not. But when you get a break, you run with it.

As an FYI, this was not a divisional playoff game. At that time there were no divisions, just 2 conferences. The Packers and Colts tied for the conference championship at 10-3-1. This was a conference playoff.

It goes to illustrate just one reason why it's so much harder to win a championship now than then. Today, even if you secure the best conference record, you need to win 3 playoff games to get the ring. Then it was typically just the one game, the championship, with playoffs such as this an uncommon exception.

Imagine the 15-1 Packers getting a ticket to the Super Bowl without having to pass go and collect $200.

I'm tired of hearing how it's so much harder to win a championship in today's swamp of mediocrity then it was then.
- then, 40% of the league didn't make the playoffs.
-You actually had to compete against other great teams , usually twice a season. Not see you once every 4 years or whatever.
-the '63 Packers went 11-2-1. No team in the league won more games . They didn't make the playoffs.
The '68 Colts went into the last week of the season undefeated; they finished 11-1-2 and didn't make the playoffs.

The key word here is competition. When you actually had to play against other great teams loaded with future HOF's to get limited playoff berths, that was competition. When now you play an extra game or two solely for TV purposes against crap with 7 or 8 wins doesn't begin to compare. The NFL then was giants slugging it out; today is a money/ratings driven shitshow.

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing how it's so much harder to win a championship in today's swamp of mediocrity then it was then.
-You actually had to compete against other great teams , usually twice a season. Not see you once every 4 years or whatever.
-the '63 Packers went 11-2-1. No team in the league won more games . They didn't make the playoffs.
The '68 Colts went into the last week of the season undefeated; they finished 11-1-2 and didn't make the playoffs.

The key word here is competition. When you actually had to play against other great teams loaded with future HOF's to get limited playoff berths, that was competition. When now you play an extra game or two solely for TV purposes against crap with 7 or 8 wins doesn't begin to compare. The NFL then was giants slugging it out; today is a money/ratings driven shitshow.
Does all this mean you think it wasnt the correct call? :whistling:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I think the kick was good. Saw something years ago using a computer; showed the kick was good.
There shouldn't even have been a playoff, as the Packers defeated the Colts twice that season.

Reaction score
Yes, I think the kick was good. Saw something years ago using a computer; showed the kick was good.
Ok DNA I was being sarcastic. But I agree, even though camera angles are deceptive and the kick hooked it looked inside by about 1/2 ft

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ok DNA I was being sarcastic. But I agree, even though camera angles are deceptive and the kick hooked it looked inside by about 1/2 ft

Really? I thought the opposite....outside by a foot.....the camera viewpoint is deceiving. Remember, back then the goal posts were an H shape (2 field posts) as opposed to the way they are today with one post in the middle. View it again and remember, you are sitting in the endzone and the goal post you are looking at is the left one, not the right one.

Reaction score
Really? I thought the opposite....outside by a foot.....the camera viewpoint is deceiving. Remember, back then the goal posts were an H shape (2 field posts) as opposed to the way they are today with one post in the middle. View it again and remember, you are sitting in the endzone and the goal post you are looking at is the left one, not the right one.
I object Your honor. The defense is "leading" :whistling:
Poker, Let me edit this by saying. "Your honor. There clearly isn't sufficient evidence to warrant an answer with the conviction necessary to draw a fair conclusion

Last edited:

Chris398

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The story I heard was that the ball went directly over the one side post which would make it good. That was the reason the side posts were extended to the length they are now.

Reaction score
My question is this in reference to the goal posts, because it's hard to tell what's what. Was the ball curving outside into "no good" or curving inside into "good" territory after passing the goal posts?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My question is this in reference to the goal posts, because it's hard to tell what's what. Was the ball curving outside into "no good" or curving inside into "good" territory after passing the goal posts?

You see the left post (as if you were sitting in the endzone).....it was curving outside and away from it.

Better view of the field at the 19 minute mark:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Chris398

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What the ball does after it passes the goal post is of no consequence.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Were you there to make that assesment ?

Do you require me to be at every game and in a perfect position for every play to give my opinion? BTW, where were you sitting at that game to offer up your assessment of the play?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I would add to my prior comment that there was no free agency and no salary cap.

Reaction score
What the ball does after it passes the goal post is of no consequence.
I'm trying to differentiate the left vs right post to make an assessment on it's initially trajectory because it's a deceptive camera view. However I must say.. what your answer suggests was of zero value :confused:

Last edited: