Veldheer is back in Green Bay

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's amazing, when you think about it.

Things had to fall just perfectly for this to happen: He had to be a practice squad player, the Colts had to lose, and he had to be a guy that would fit a position of need. The fact that he played with the Packers just last year also helps.

The stars aligned perfectly for this to happen - Let's hope it's a sign of things to come.

Add to that COVID-19. If it wasn't for the new COVID rules and the PS rules adjusted to bring players temporarily up from the PS to play in a game, Jared would have been on the Colts active roster and not allowed to play for another team. Probably why this is the first time in history we have seen this.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that you're right Longtime.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...jared-veldheer-adds-depth-to-packers-ol-room/
The Green Bay Packers have offensive tackle Jared Veldheer in the building and ready to practice on Tuesday, and coach Matt LaFleur believes the veteran – who played in two big games for the Packers last season – can add valuable depth along the offensive line.

We have to wait and see, see how much recall he has from last year. He just played in a game this weekend in a totally different offense. We’ll try to get him acclimated and welcome him back as soon as possible,” LaFleur said.

LeFluer could be slow-playing it, but he seems to be saying what I thought. They brought in Jared for depth and hope to see that he's retained everything. The memory starts to go at age 33 ya know.... :cool:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As much as I would love to stick Veldheer in at LT, I don't think that any of us know if he is ready. He is obviously in shape, but he spent a year learning another team's protection calls and scheme. My guess is that Veldheer is purely for emergency purposes this week. Maybe if he gets up to speed by the conference championship game (assuming we make it), he could play at LT. I hope that I'm wrong because we would certainly be better with Billy Turner at the RG position.
I guess we’ll have to see to what shakes out. My takeaway is that Yosh Nijman is not ready in the staff’s opinion. I’m also not sure that Turner is better at RG than Patrick.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m also not sure that Turner is better at RG than Patrick.
An astute observation. You may be right, which may be another reason they put Turner at LT. I am pretty sure that whomever is at LT, will have to play well or there may be a halftime switch.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anybody explain how Veldheer was a practice squad player if he started last week for the Colts?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anybody explain how Veldheer was a practice squad player if he started last week for the Colts?

Covid up/down type situation. Be like Henry Black starting or dressing for us earlier in the year only to be signed away immediately following.

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as I would love to stick Veldheer in at LT, I don't think that any of us know if he is ready. He is obviously in shape, but he spent a year learning another team's protection calls and scheme.

While I don't think the Packers plan to start Veldheer this week it was definitely a great signing by Gutekunst for various reasons mentioned here.

Just for the record, Veldheer wasn't on another team's roster until December 31 when the Colts signed him to their practice squad.

Add to that COVID-19. If it wasn't for the new COVID rules and the PS rules adjusted to bring players temporarily up from the PS to play in a game, Jared would have been on the Colts active roster and not allowed to play for another team. Probably why this is the first time in history we have seen this.

I was merely bringing a name up that was on PS at times. This year unlike others you can elevate from PS to play, and then back down unlike other years.

The new CBA allows teams to elevate two players from the practice squad for each game. Therefore it will be possible to take advantage of that in future seasons as well.

There were some rules for the practice squad put in place because of COVID-19 though, including expanding it to 16 players, allowing teams to put six players with an unlimited amount of accrued seasons on it as well as protect four players each week off being signed by another team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would love to stick Veldheer in at LT, I don't think that any of us know if he is ready. He is obviously in shape, but he spent a year learning another team's protection calls and scheme. My guess is that Veldheer is purely for emergency purposes this week. Maybe if he gets up to speed by the conference championship game (assuming we make it), he could play at LT. I hope that I'm wrong because we would certainly be better with Billy Turner at the RG position.

He started and played every snap at left tackle for the colts in week 17 and last week in the wild card game...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct. I think all the Packers have to think about is his conditioning and it sounds like he was ready to go for Indy. Short of Bahk miraculously recovering over night, this was probably THE best tackle that by the current NFL rules could have dropped into the Packers lap. He knows the offense, his teammates and everything else about the Packers. He may never play a snap in the next 3 games, but if he doesn't, that is a great sign, means they didn't need him for anything other than depth.

I'm fairly certain he'll be in the starting lineup replacing lucas patrick as a member of the best 5. Veldheer, jenkins, linsley, turner, wagner

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain he'll be in the starting lineup replacing lucas patrick as a member of the best 5. Veldheer, jenkins, linsley, turner, wagner

That was my thought as well shared earlier. Plug that middle with our three best active lineman against Donald.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on the surface, i would think he's just here for depth, I mean we're ok as far as starters go, but if anymore go down, we're hurting.

But it does also does allow us to put our strongest interior line back together which may be more important facing the rams. I guess we'll see

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think they just signed Veldheer to boost special teams, they are having him return punts and kickoffs! :coffee:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Regardless of the initial plan for Veldheer, this move has the potential to pay huge dividends. Even if it's just added insurance, can't say enough what it would mean if someone else where to go down and to have him in the wings ready to go.

I don't expect LaFleur to give any detail on his starting 5 linemen prior to Saturday.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on the surface, i would think he's just here for depth, I mean we're ok as far as starters go, but if anymore go down, we're hurting.

But it does also does allow us to put our strongest interior line back together which may be more important facing the rams. I guess we'll see

That is my thought. I wouldn't be shocked if against the Rams he starts and then next game IF we win he is first man up off bench.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That is my thought. I wouldn't be shocked if against the Rams he starts and then next game IF we win he is first man up off bench.
Like LaFleur alluded to when Bakhtiari went down, it's more than possible for the offensive line combinations to change based on matchups.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they just signed Veldheer to boost special teams, they are having him return punts and kickoffs! :coffee:
Hopefully he can beat former patriot Olineman Dan Connolly in Kick return yardage, this time FOR the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hopefully he can beat former patriot Olineman Dan Connolly in Kick return yardage, this time FOR the Packers.

Well if he simply fair caught the ball on punts, he would be ahead of Darrius Shepherd, who in his glorious career with the Packers accounted for -3 yards on punt returns.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone hold your breath. So far no one has no one else has been said to be in contact with him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Veldheer placed on COVID-19 list for positive test..... :sick:

This could be bad. Hoping for the best.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeez. Hopefully he hadn't had time to spread it to anyone. A COVID outbreak in the locker is my biggest fear for the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts