1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Using our second rounder(s) to trade up?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TheDesertFox, Feb 29, 2008.

1. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If we don't draft defense, I'd like to see us trade up and take Felix Jones. This guy is highly underrated as he played behind McFadden, but he is a total freak. Back in the Capitol One bowl he actually put about 100 more yards on us than McFadden did, I believe.

What say you?

2. packersfan4life

packersfan4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a slight possibility that the Packers could trade up, but I don't think it would be for Felix Jones. The Packers need more of a bruiser type running back, not a speed guy. I think there will be good running backs available in the second and third rounds...Forte and Rice.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I say that if a player is on the board that Ted really really wants, he won't hesitate to make a move in an attempt to move up the board. i don't know who this mystery player could be. but a scenario in the 1st round of swapping 1st round picks with a team and then throwing in one of our 2nd round picks (probably #57) is plausible

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    if you use that draft value chart thing, and the pack toss in their #1, and the TWO #2's they have now, they would only move up to around 10th

is that worth it ?

i dont think so myself...

5. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would never get rid of both our 2nds, and neither would TT. I think with our 1st and the 57 we could move up to around 20 though, to a team that doesn't have any high needs they couldn't get in the 2nd.

6. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    thats the point, why dump #57 to move up 10 spots?

I say no way

Right now they will have 3 picks in top 61

if they trade away #57 they only have 2 in top 60

7. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i actually would be happy for TT to get as many 2nd round picks as possible, thats where the real quality and value for money is.

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    admittedly, i didn't look at the that draft value chart thing at all, and you make a good point. from what you say LT, I don't see much reason why TT would package that stuff to move up in the 1st.

9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    i dont like the value thing either, but thought some people would understand it better.

Would Cromartie move up that far with his excellent combine? Is the an absolute stud o-l that would be there? What about a safety?

Those are the 3 i think the Packers would truly drool over if available at the #10 spot

10. LordEvil

LordEvil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i dont see the pack taking rb this year. i see o-line help d-line, te and dbs. but trading up to grab one the the top d-lineman would be great. like to see the pack with 2 big guys in the middle.

11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I think you guys are way off base with the the, "I think the packers are going to take this position, or that position." read this.

12. bigfog

bigfog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ray Rice baby!

Actually - what do you guys think the chances are that the 2nd is used on a quarterback?

13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Yup BPA!!

However form that article

but then there is this form same article

Okay going by the last bold sentence what would be the specific need?

And what Fa are out there that could and would meet the criteria Ted MIGHt be looking for

14. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT's scouting is both mysterious and brilliant, who on earth had heard of Ryan Grant last year and even guys like John Kuhn. Face facts guys TT is The ScoutMeister :)

15. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Agreed! and to be clear, i am not saying that, in a specific situation, in a specific round, TT wouldn't decide to draft a certain player because he would fill a certain need. rather, i am saying that TT won't go into the draft saying, "we're gonna take a CB in round 1, a TE in round 2, a G in round 3, etc...."

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Yes that i agree with and I think that a majority of teams probably do something similar

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    right. but so many people on this board are saying ted will probably take a te in round 1, a cb in round 2, etc... so apparently it's not as obvious as it would seem.

18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,479
    that is the prob I see..

Say they are at the #1 pick and they have determined a clear need ( what ever it is )

The feel the bpa is rated by them just a pinch more above the player that would fit their needs, what do they do

19. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    that's why teddy gets paid the big bucks

20. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they go with the player that fits their need.

'Just a pinch more' isn't enough to convince me to go BPA solely, Ted said usually his picks have BPA meshed together (in at least some small degree) with need.

21. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT loves his 2nds. I can't think of all of them off the top of my head, but we got Gregorious in the 2nd. The 2nd round seems to be where you can find some real gems when other GMs are picking needs instead of BPA.

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i don't like the "prima donna" complex that some (not all) first rounders get.

23. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Me neither. The 2nd is magical. You sometimes get people who should have been drafted in the first round (Gregorious immediately comes to mind) that got overlooked for some reason, and you don't have to pay 1st round prices, nor deal with 1st round egos.

It's brilliant. More 2nd round picks, please! :cool:

24. dannychau22

dannychau22 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't know if it's just me but i have a feeling that TT is gonna suprise us and draft someone we don't really know anything about that looks to be a reach aha

25. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    so... you think that TT signing someone whom we don't know will be a surprise?