Update on favre # retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You can call me a casual fan if you want that's fine, been a fan all my life, rarely miss a game, but that's cool.
I posted, “Many posters here are passionate about the Packers. Perhaps you aren’t…” The operative word is “Perhaps”, so I didn’t call you a casual fan, only wrote “perhaps” you are.
Why don't you give me your list on why you dislike him? Maybe I don't know all the reasons…
Read post #38 and try to understand the tone of that post from the perspective of someone who doesn’t agree with you on this issue. I responded to that post by saying it looks like you are ill-informed about all that went on. You answered, “Well aware of the mess…” and now you are saying perhaps you aren’t. If you are really curious about the other side of this issue, check the links above. And here’s a link to the first post I wrote on this site on this issue: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963 After doing some reading, even if you don’t agree, at least you’ll be better informed about something you were telling others how they should feel.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is almost laughable!! I really don't get the hate for Favre! How did he hurt the organization? Favre, along with guys like Reggie brought this organization to relevancy again! Seriously how does he affect your life? We decided to move on which I think was the right move and I was one of the few who was on TTs side. I hold nothing against him coming back wanting to play and asking for a trade. Move on people seriously, you sound like a bunch of women holding grudges!
Part of me still has a grudge against Fail.
And another part of me agrees with your post and shares in the sentiment but I would put it more gently to our fellow friends and fans on this site.

Having a grudge or feelings of anger against Brent hurts only yourself and not him.
Was he a D-Bag and did he do some D-Bag types of things? Absolutly.
Was he a diva? Yes, he was.
Even so find a way to let it go and move on because we cannot stop the Packers from retiring his number. Its inevitable and will happen someday weather or not BrINT apologizes to the fans and/or the organization.
And if you happen to be at Lambeau when it happens, boo or be silent or go and get a beer or soda or turn you back to the field. Feel free to express yourself however you want to.

Packerfan0220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said its petty stuff that you have to let go! It was a bad breakup, simple as that. Have you never had a bad breakup or been in a bad breakup? Jennings said some pretty bad things about organization and Rodgers so how is that different. I still love Jennings for the great years he gave to the pack. I love Favre for what he was to the team when he was here. You can't take away everything he did with a team that for the most part should have been average at best with the exception of a few years. He was a great qb for this team. What he did after for revenge factors, whatever, who cares, let the past be the past. He deserves to be retired or be in the ring of honor with the Pack.

Packerfan0220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted, “Many posters here are passionate about the Packers. Perhaps you aren’t…” The operative word is “Perhaps”, so I didn’t call you a casual fan, only wrote “perhaps” you are. Read post #38 and try to understand the tone of that post from the perspective of someone who doesn’t agree with you on this issue. I responded to that post by saying it looks like you are ill-informed about all that went on. You answered, “Well aware of the mess…” and now you are saying perhaps you aren’t. If you are really curious about the other side of this issue, check the links above. And here’s a link to the first post I wrote on this site on this issue: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963 After doing some reading, even if you don’t agree, at least you’ll be better informed about something you were telling others how they should feel.
I have lived in Vegas since 09, so thought maybe there was news I wasn't aware of and admit I didn't know about lions game ( doubt he knew much about teams scheme at that point, but regardless). Was he a diva, sure, but should his retirement or ring of honor be based on personality or his career with the Pack. He gave us so many great moments. I choose to not let the bad times affect the good times. Maybe you choose different.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Like I said its petty stuff that you have to let go! It was a bad breakup, simple as that. Have you never had a bad breakup or been in a bad breakup? Jennings said some pretty bad things about organization and Rodgers so how is that different. I still love Jennings for the great years he gave to the pack. I love Favre for what he was to the team when he was here. You can't take away everything he did with a team that for the most part should have been average at best with the exception of a few years. He was a great qb for this team. What he did after for revenge factors, whatever, who cares, let the past be the past. He deserves to be retired or be in the ring of honor with the Pack.

You are perfectly entitled to feel the way you do and as a fellow Packer fan I respect that but.....that being said, we are entitled to feel the way we do. I`ve had disagreements on here before with the PRO Favre lobby, and while my opinion differs from theirs, I do expect them to respect mine.
This will ALWAYS divide the fans. It is what it is. And earlier you came on telling us all how we should react. I say politely if I need a life coach I`ll advertise.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I've had break ups. But I've never thrown her a party honoring her after she lied and cheated with the special needs neighbor. Seems like common sense.

Reactions: TJV

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll happen 2015-2016. If it's 2016 it'll be right before HOF announcements (unless Superbowl, then right before HOF presentation). 2015 offseason is much more likely IMO
You folks are amazing. Just as we saw when Rodgers went down, without #12 GB wouldn't have made the playoffs. Do you think Flynn would have made the throw against the Bears? Without Favre for 16 years, GB would have been struggling to get to the playoffs as they did in the 70's and 80's.

As far as his wife, please leave her alone. She is a cancer survivor and doesn't need the trash talk.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You folks are amazing. Just as we saw when Rodgers went down, without #12 GB wouldn't have made the playoffs. Do you think Flynn would have made the throw against the Bears? Without Favre for 16 years, GB would have been struggling to get to the playoffs as they did in the 70's and 80's.

As far as his wife, please leave her alone. She is a cancer survivor and doesn't need the trash talk.
Regarding your Flynn comment: Impossible to know. Maybe he would have led to a victory against Da Bears.
Don't ask questions like that unless you know the answers based on what actually happened instead of speculation.

Even with Favre, the Packers struggled DURING the playoffs.
Packers were 100% undefeated during the post season in all Lambeau games until Favre came along.
Favre is way overrated. One SB loss and one SB win. No other Packers QB has that on their record.

Just because someone is a cancer survivor doesn't give them a green light to act like a jerk, a D-Bag or a B***h.
Yes, we should treat cancer survivors and everyone else with respect but only if they also show respect in return or in the first place.
If I was a cancer survivor then does that mean that I get to curse up a storm at you for no reason?
Besides, it's harmless. I doubt that Deanna reads this forum.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If/when this happens I wonder if Brent is going to text an invite to Jenn Sterger or any other chick he has his little eye on?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If/when this happens I wonder if Brent is going to text an invite to Jenn Sterger or any other chick he has his little eye on?
Certainly a bitter fan.

If Favre is overrated, what does that make Rodgers? Have looked at his playoff record?

Will Favre have another player on the GB offense over his 16 years of calling the shots inducted into the HOF? Think about that.

Stop the personal attacks. If you think Flynn would have led GB into the playoffs, why didn't he play? Guess that puts your maybe statement to rest.

#4 gets into the HOF on the first ballet. Guess that makes him overrated. Talk about nonsense.

Have another Blatz!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

I'd appreciate it if you would do like McNabb asks and leave my name out of it as I didn't say a word against the guy. I simply said it wouldn happen this year because there's still some tension within the fanbase. I didn even say that it wouldn't happen, I gave a reasonable estimated day time that it would. I'm not telling you to leave, I'm just blocking you. Not because I disagree with you as I'm one of the few Favre guys left here, but because you pissed me off and I'm nice enough to let you off with just this angry and grammatically challenged response.

Last edited:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty funny if you ask me. I guess I just don't have thin skin.

Attachments

• 41d3e90314f6011c2b62e1136c27f3aa.jpg
    41d3e90314f6011c2b62e1136c27f3aa.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 225

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd appreciate it if you would do like McNabb asks and leave my name out of it as I didn't say a word against the guy. I simply said it wouldn happen this year because there's still some tension within the fanbase. I didn even say that it wouldn't happen, I gave a reasonable estimated day time that it would. I'm not telling you to leave, I'm just blocking you. Not because I disagree with you as I'm one of the few Favre guys left here, but because you pissed me off and I'm nice enough to let you off with just this angry and grammatically challenged response.
Bless you

I

It wasn`t his EYE he wanted to give her. Although now I think of it............:laugh:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Without Favre for 16 years, GB would have been struggling to get to the playoffs as they did in the 70's and 80's.
Nonsense. Someone who knows one hell of a lot more about football than anyone posting here nearly replaced Favre during the 1994 season. Holmgren came close to replacing Favre with Mark Brunell. Now Brunell wasn’t the QB Favre was but to think Wolf wouldn’t have acquired another QB and Holmgren and his staff of future HCs wouldn’t have ‘coached up’ that QB if Brunell wasn’t the answer is nonsense.

The Packers 1996 defense surrendered fewer TDs than the great 1985 Bears D during the regular season and fewer than Seattle’s D this season. The 1996 Packers were a great team. Certainly not dependent upon one player. IMO the transformative event that brought the Packers out of the dark ages of the 70s and 80s was Bob Harlan re-structuring the organization by creating the powerful position he hired Ron Wolf to fill. Then Wolf went after the most sought-after HC at the time and hired him. The acquisition of Favre and White were important but not nearly as important as fixing the structure of the organization. Since then, except for Mike Sherman’s brief tenure as GM, the organization has had one football man in charge of hiring and firing the HC and in charge of personnel. The result has been one of the most successful NFL franchises since that time.

What I find interesting when this issue comes up is posters jumping up and down insisting everyone else agree with them and “let it go”. Their dogged insistence seems incongruous with the notion of ‘letting go’. And some have the gall to call others immature. Many of them are ignorant with regard to all of what Favre did (Packerfan0220 the most recent, but far from the only example here) but insist those of us who were paying more attention should agree with them.

Look, I have never started a thread about Favre or even think about him unless someone else brings up the subject. But there is no reason for me to forget his traitorous acts against the franchise. IMO he not only crapped on members of the Packers organization, he also crapped on Packers fans. And I will never forgive him if he doesn’t admit what he did and apologize for it. And with regard to his wife, he also publicly crapped on their marriage, didn’t he? But she has ‘stuck by her man’ and I don’t blame her for that. But with his long history of infidelity, she can hardly claim surprise.

If others want to forgive him without an apology that's OK with me. But they have no right to insist I agree with them. And when they misstate or forget what happened, those of us who remember have every right to correct them. We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not to 'our own' facts.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nonsense. Someone who knows one hell of a lot more about football than anyone posting here nearly replaced Favre during the 1994 season. Holmgren came close to replacing Favre with Mark Brunell. Now Brunell wasn’t the QB Favre was but to think Wolf wouldn’t have acquired another QB and Holmgren and his staff of future HCs wouldn’t have ‘coached up’ that QB if Brunell wasn’t the answer is nonsense.

The Packers 1996 defense surrendered fewer TDs than the great 1985 Bears D during the regular season and fewer than Seattle’s D this season. The 1996 Packers were a great team. Certainly not dependent upon one player. IMO the transformative event that brought the Packers out of the dark ages of the 70s and 80s was Bob Harlan re-structuring the organization by creating the powerful position he hired Ron Wolf to fill. Then Wolf went after the most sought-after HC at the time and hired him. The acquisition of Favre and White were important but nearly as important as fixing the structure of the organization. Since then, except for Mike Sherman’s brief tenure as GM, the organization has had one football man in charge of hiring and firing the HC and in charge of personnel. The result has been one of the most successful NFL franchises since that time.

What I find interesting when this issue comes up is posters jumping up and down insisting everyone else agree with them and “let it go”. Their dogged insistence seems incongruous with the notion of ‘letting go’. And some have the gall to call others immature. Many of them are ignorant with regard to all of what Favre did (Packerfan0220 the most recent example here) but insist those of us who were paying more attention should agree with them.

Look, I have never started a thread about Favre or even think about him unless someone else brings up the subject. But there is no reason for me to forget his traitorous acts against the franchise. IMO he not only crapped on members of the Packers organization, he also crapped on Packers fans. And I will never forgive him if he doesn’t admit what he did and apologize for it. And with regard to his wife, he also publicly crapped on their marriage, didn’t he? But she has ‘stuck by her man’ and I don’t blame her for that. But with his long history of infidelity, she can hardly claim surprise.

If others want to forgive him without an apology that's OK with me. But they have no right to insist I agree with them. And when they misstate or forget what happened, those of us who remember have every right to correct them. We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not to 'our own' facts.
You seemed to have forgot about Ray Rhodes.

I agree that Harlan, Wolfe and Holmgren were essential. The front office with their player decisions and upgrading Lambeau put the regime on the top of the heap.

However, one thing during a 16 year was #4. You can say all you want about the off field jackassery. You are correct.

To think Mark Brunnell was a better option than Favre is nonsense. During the 90's the "D" was great as a unit and had a few playmakers.

I will say it again, Favre did have the privilege of playing with another HOF player on offense during his career and with the exception of Reggie White, he will not have had a defense HOFer wearing green and gold.

How do you rationalize that?

I am a fact based debater. I would rather have had Favre and everything that went with him than have the QB turnstile that losing teams have.

You are quite emotional.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To think Mark Brunnell was a better option than Favre is nonsense. During the 90's the "D" was great as a unit and had a few playmakers.

In 94 Mark very well could have been coached up like Brett was...We just do not know

Holmgren wanted to bench Brett for Mark...So Mark could have been in Bretts shoes and Brett could have went to Jax

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I did not forget about Rhodes. The fact is Ray Rhodes was never GM of the Packers so his hiring didn’t affect the organizational structure of the Packers like Mike Sherman’s promotion to GM did.
To think Mark Brunnell was a better option than Favre is nonsense.
I didn’t post Brunell was a better option, I posted Holmgren considered replacing Favre with Brunell and I posted, “Now Brunell wasn’t the QB Favre was…” Your accusation seems a bit emotional.
I will say it again, Favre did have the privilege of playing with another HOF player on offense during his career and with the exception of Reggie White, he will not have had a defense HOFer wearing green and gold. How do you rationalize that?
How do I rationalize what? You posted, “During the 90's the "D" was great as a unit and had a few playmakers.” What difference does the number of HOFers make? The Packers D from ’93 to ’97 was in the top ten scoring Ds and they were 11th in ’98.
I am a fact based debater… You are quite emotional.
Really? Why would a “fact based debater” predict 16 years of ‘70s and ‘80s like performance even though you “agree that Harlan, Wolfe and Holmgren were essential. The front office with their player decisions and upgrading Lambeau put the regime on the top of the heap.” That looks like a lot of emotion and an absence of facts.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This again?

-I think Murphy occasionally brings up Favre just to troll this forum.

I

I totally agree with Badger on this old chesnut appearing YET again. I think its safe to say we all have our own opinion, and nothing anybody has to add will change ANYBODIES opinion one iota. The annoying thing is people keep trying. I respect everybodies views, but personally no amount of praising Favre will change my opinion, or those of anybody else. All this subject does is cause bad feelings and unpleasantness between Green Bay Packer fans. It`s a shame it hasn`t got its own area IMHO.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Ray Rhodes was DC for a couple of years...hated being in Green Bay and left...to be replaced by Fritz Shurmur - Shurmur, as DC of the Rams, was able to drive Holmgren crazy when at San Fran...and was a wizard at scheming shut down defenses against West Coast offenses. I would argue that Shurmur was the reason the Pack's defense took off after Rhodes left. Where the hell does Ray Rhodes fit into the scope of your argument?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Rodgers is a better QB than favre was. Well see when it's all said n done who had the better career. Rodgers simply doesn't turn the ball over the favre did.

In 10 years favre might hold all the career franchise records but be the 3rd best QB in franchise history.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Where the hell does Ray Rhodes fit into the scope of your argument?
It's easy to forget Rhodes was the Packers HC for the 1999 season. When I posted about Harlan changing the structure of the organization I mentioned Wolf, Holmgren, and Sherman but not Rhodes. I didn't mention him because his one-year stint at Green Bay didn't change the structure of the organization; Wolf was still the GM, hiring and firing the HC.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People that take years to get over something that is from the game of football are pathetic. Football is a game, entertainment. None of this affected anything so serious in your life that your life altered in anyway. Immature, pathetic people still cry over a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.