1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Update on favre # retirement

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Royal Pain, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +115
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...heyre-closer-to-retiring-brett-favres-number/

Murphy told Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette that he hopes they can get Favre’s number retired before he’s expected to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.
    There’s been pretty open dialogue,” Murphy said. “I do anticipate that we will see that sooner rather than later. . . .

I don't see why we shouldn't get this done in 2014. Heads have cooled and it's going to happen eventually. Why wait?
    I realize there is a faction of Packer fans that never want to see this happen, and they certainly have a right to feel that way. But they're also never going to change their mind, so why delay the inevitable? I wasn't happy with the way Brett handled his departure, but in no way did that diminish his accomplishments and the excitment he brought back to Green Bay. In the words of Kevin Greene, "It's time."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +190
    Time to let go, my friend. He was a great Packer and brought us a Lombardi. Hats off to the legend, the Ironman, Brett Favre.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  4. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    Favre can have his number retired 5 years after Aaron's is retired.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +335
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    He treated the organization like ****.

Unlike some, I put the team above Brett favre. I boo the decision to retire his number.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    I burned my #4 jersey.... to hell with that self centered prick

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,923
    Actually from what I’ve seen on fan boards most of the immaturity displayed is by people who thought Favre was the Packers. Many posted as if their devotion to Favre went beyond their Packer fandom. And it seems to me that’s where the irrational hatred for Thompson still displayed on Packers boards comes from.

Of course all fans who are ready to see Favre honored as a Packer don’t fit that description. But maturity has nothing to do with most of us who are not ready to see Favre’s number retired. I view Favre’s actions towards the Packers after he voluntarily and embarrassingly "retired" as traitorous (only in the context of professional sports of course). I for one am still waiting to hear a heartfelt apology from Favre for his post “retirement” actions. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or immature.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    think it still needs to wait another 10 years or so.....

10. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +335
    I also put the Green Bay Packers above Brett Favre but I won't forget his role in the turnaround of a very bad franchise. Like it or not Brett was a key figure in the history of the Packers.
    Unlike some, I admire Ted Thompson for finally putting an end to the foolishness.
    I would have pulled the trigger two years prior. His final couple of years should not define his historic career with the Green Bay Packers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    Put his name in the ring, don't retire his #

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    ^^right, but it sure does put a sh!t flavored frosting on his cake, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,199
    That will happen in 2016.

14. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +335
    I would be fine with that.
    I don't think they should actually retire anymore numbers anyway.
    I would like to see #66 come out of retirement.
    How grand it would be to see #66 roaming the field again...As long as it's not worn by a kicker.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    I don't see the point of not using numbers but not retiring them either.

16. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    I'd be for retiring Driver's number instead. 80 will never look right without that massive grin inside the helmet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    What I really don't "get", why do people like you assume brent and/or his boss wife is ready to do this number retirement thing? He's made comments of late that kind of hint that he's trying to move past his hurt feelings, but he's hardly made any significant comments where we should feel compelled to honor him. Read between the lines here. The Packers official statement does not sound to me like Camp Deanna is all on board.

For me, I can not stand what he pulled. I'll never forget his skank wife wearing the "Thanks Ted" Viking jersey. I think they showed exactly how much class they have and have pretty much continued to this day. For that all to go on for as long as it did speaks volumes about them personally.

Having said all of that, if he came out today and made a sincere comment about what went down and how it went down and swallowed his pride... I would vote to have his number retired. If that doesn't happen, I don't think the way he acted and the way he left town, represents the type of guy that gets his number retired in Green Bay. Dallas maybe....but not Green Bay. If he does, I'm fine with it and I'll be sending him a new pair of Crocks for a retirement present!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
    Wow, I don't think I ever caught this when it happened. How childish!

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    A sincere public apology from Brett and his wife would be a good start

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    She's a complete turdhead. She was in her box and took a picture with the guy wearing it and posted it everywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  21. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm all for retiring his number - on the condition that Machete Cop from Only God Forgives gets to chop off his hands... just so he doesn't think about un-retiring... no hands - no throwing. ;)

22. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    Still seems pretty awkward; I'd say Brett needs to warm again to the Green Bay community before he goes for broke and chooses to have his first public appearance at Lambeau Field as a "friendly" face in 7 years be his number retirement ceremony. Show up to some games this season, get the "boos" out in a preseason halftime entrance, have Deanna be the ambassador for Breast Cancer Awareness month in October... just do something. A cold turkey "I'm back to finally satisfy my ego" presentation ain't gonna go well fo' nobody.

That's the narcissism-light plan, not sure if Sir Favreh is capable of such, here's hoping some things are capable of change.

• Agree Agree x 5
  23. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    wow... perfectly said. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    Exactly what he needs to do. A lot of people are over the whole thing but a lot of people aren't and that could make for quite an embarrassing return.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    It'll happen 2015-2016. If it's 2016 it'll be right before HOF announcements (unless Superbowl, then right before HOF presentation). 2015 offseason is much more likely IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.