Update on favre # retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...heyre-closer-to-retiring-brett-favres-number/

Murphy told Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette that he hopes they can get Favre’s number retired before he’s expected to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.
There’s been pretty open dialogue,” Murphy said. “I do anticipate that we will see that sooner rather than later. . . .

I don't see why we shouldn't get this done in 2014. Heads have cooled and it's going to happen eventually. Why wait?
I realize there is a faction of Packer fans that never want to see this happen, and they certainly have a right to feel that way. But they're also never going to change their mind, so why delay the inevitable? I wasn't happy with the way Brett handled his departure, but in no way did that diminish his accomplishments and the excitment he brought back to Green Bay. In the words of Kevin Greene, "It's time."

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to let go, my friend. He was a great Packer and brought us a Lombardi. Hats off to the legend, the Ironman, Brett Favre.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He treated the organization like ****.

Unlike some, I put the team above Brett favre. I boo the decision to retire his number.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Most mature people have moved on from that.
Actually from what I’ve seen on fan boards most of the immaturity displayed is by people who thought Favre was the Packers. Many posted as if their devotion to Favre went beyond their Packer fandom. And it seems to me that’s where the irrational hatred for Thompson still displayed on Packers boards comes from.

Of course all fans who are ready to see Favre honored as a Packer don’t fit that description. But maturity has nothing to do with most of us who are not ready to see Favre’s number retired. I view Favre’s actions towards the Packers after he voluntarily and embarrassingly "retired" as traitorous (only in the context of professional sports of course). I for one am still waiting to hear a heartfelt apology from Favre for his post “retirement” actions. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or immature.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He treated the organization like ****.

Unlike some, I put the team above Brett favre. I boo the decision to retire his number.
I also put the Green Bay Packers above Brett Favre but I won't forget his role in the turnaround of a very bad franchise. Like it or not Brett was a key figure in the history of the Packers.
Unlike some, I admire Ted Thompson for finally putting an end to the foolishness.
I would have pulled the trigger two years prior. His final couple of years should not define his historic career with the Green Bay Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also put the Green Bay Packers above Brett Favre but I won't forget his role in the turnaround of a very bad franchise. Like it or not Brett was a key figure in the history of the Packers.
Unlike some, I admire Ted Thompson for finally putting an end to the foolishness.
I would have pulled the trigger two years prior. His final couple of years should not define his historic career with the Green Bay Packers.

Put his name in the ring, don't retire his #

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put his name in the ring, don't retire his #
I would be fine with that.
I don't think they should actually retire anymore numbers anyway.
I would like to see #66 come out of retirement.
How grand it would be to see #66 roaming the field again...As long as it's not worn by a kicker.:)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with that.
I don't think they should actually retire anymore numbers anyway.
I would like to see #66 come out of retirement.
How grand it would be to see #66 roaming the field again...As long as it's not worn by a kicker.:)

I don't see the point of not using numbers but not retiring them either.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for retiring Driver's number instead. 80 will never look right without that massive grin inside the helmet.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What I really don't "get", why do people like you assume brent and/or his boss wife is ready to do this number retirement thing? He's made comments of late that kind of hint that he's trying to move past his hurt feelings, but he's hardly made any significant comments where we should feel compelled to honor him. Read between the lines here. The Packers official statement does not sound to me like Camp Deanna is all on board.

For me, I can not stand what he pulled. I'll never forget his ***** wife wearing the "Thanks Ted" Viking jersey. I think they showed exactly how much class they have and have pretty much continued to this day. For that all to go on for as long as it did speaks volumes about them personally.

Having said all of that, if he came out today and made a sincere comment about what went down and how it went down and swallowed his pride... I would vote to have his number retired. If that doesn't happen, I don't think the way he acted and the way he left town, represents the type of guy that gets his number retired in Green Bay. Dallas maybe....but not Green Bay. If he does, I'm fine with it and I'll be sending him a new pair of Crocks for a retirement present!

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, I can not stand what he pulled. I'll never forget his ***** wife wearing the "Thanks Ted" Viking jersey. I think they showed exactly how much class they have and have pretty much continued to this day. For that all to go on for as long as it did speaks volumes about them personally.

Wow, I don't think I ever caught this when it happened. How childish!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A sincere public apology from Brett and his wife would be a good start

Reaction score
I'm all for retiring his number - on the condition that Machete Cop from Only God Forgives gets to chop off his hands... just so he doesn't think about un-retiring... no hands - no throwing. ;)

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Still seems pretty awkward; I'd say Brett needs to warm again to the Green Bay community before he goes for broke and chooses to have his first public appearance at Lambeau Field as a "friendly" face in 7 years be his number retirement ceremony. Show up to some games this season, get the "boos" out in a preseason halftime entrance, have Deanna be the ambassador for Breast Cancer Awareness month in October... just do something. A cold turkey "I'm back to finally satisfy my ego" presentation ain't gonna go well fo' nobody.

That's the narcissism-light plan, not sure if Sir Favreh is capable of such, here's hoping some things are capable of change.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still seems pretty awkward; I'd say Brett needs to warm again to the Green Bay community before he goes for broke and chooses to have his first public appearance at Lambeau Field as a "friendly" face in 7 years be his number retirement ceremony. Show up to some games this season, get the "boos" out in a preseason halftime entrance, have Deanna be the ambassador for Breast Cancer Awareness month in October... just do something. A cold turkey "I'm back to finally satisfy my ego" presentation ain't gonna go well fo' nobody.

That's the narcissism-light plan, not sure if Sir Favreh is capable of such, here's hoping some things are capable of change.
wow... perfectly said. :tup:

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly what he needs to do. A lot of people are over the whole thing but a lot of people aren't and that could make for quite an embarrassing return.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It'll happen 2015-2016. If it's 2016 it'll be right before HOF announcements (unless Superbowl, then right before HOF presentation). 2015 offseason is much more likely IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts