Unwavering...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill never understand why we don't trade a good player who is under contract for SOMETHING?! Even a 6th or 7th round pick. Logic would say a team who values Jones may have given a higher pick than that for dibs on him.... Then we also have a little say about where he goes too.

Anyways. It is what it is. I like #8

The one courteous thing the organization did do for Jones was allow him not to have to go to a team they chose in a trade.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill never understand why we don't trade a good player who is under contract for SOMETHING?!
I just read that we traded our future HOF QB last year for a draft pick or 2. Can anyone verify that for me?;)

More importantly, knowing the plethora of RB's in FA, why would anyone trade for a $12m contract when they can wait for him to be released and sign for just over half that?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read that we traded our future HOF QB last year for a draft pick or 2. Can anyone verify that for me?;)

More importantly, knowing the plethora of RB's in FA, why would anyone trade for a $12m contract when they can wait for him to be released and sign for just over half that?
As I read your post, I could hear the sound that slot machines make when you hit the payout. Winner Winner

The days of fleecing Dan Devine to take on John Hadl or fleecing Mike Lynn to take on Hershel Walker are gone. GM's and coaches generally have more poise and structure in place to prevent these deals from happening. As in this case, Packer Fan in SD correctly pointed out that nobody would want to take on Aaron Jones' huge salary. The writing on the wall was either that the Packers would restructure and keep him, or cut him. There are fools in the NFL for sure, but it is highly doubtful that there is anyone foolish enough to give anything for a guy that will get cut. It would be like bidding $100 for something on Ebay when you know the buy-it-now price is only $50.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill never understand why we don't trade a good player who is under contract for SOMETHING?!

Wait.....WHAT in the actual heck????

Literally last two seasons....
Cole Van Lanen for a 7th rounder
Davante Adams traded for a first rounder and a second rounder.
Aaron Rodgers traded for a first round swap in 2023, second round pick 2023, sixth round pick 2023 and a worst case second round pick in 2024 (had he not blown his achilles would have been first).
Rasul Douglas - picked up a day 2 pick.

Go just a couple season back and we have:
Hollman for a 7th
Gilbert for a 6th
Davis for a 6th

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait.....WHAT in the actual heck????

Literally last two seasons....
Cole Van Lanen for a 7th rounder
Davante Adams traded for a first rounder and a second rounder.
Aaron Rodgers traded for a first round swap in 2023, second round pick 2023, sixth round pick 2023 and a worst case second round pick in 2024 (had he not blown his achilles would have been first).
Rasul Douglas - picked up a day 2 pick.

Go just a couple season back and we have:
Hollman for a 7th
Gilbert for a 6th
Davis for a 6th
Lol, I don't even remember guys we had by the name of Gilbert & Davis. And we got two 6th rounders! Come on Gutekunst, trade off some of those guys on the bottom of our roster for 2025 draft picks. Make it even more fun for those of us who will be in attendance!

Wouldn't it be cool if we had about 15 picks on days 2 and 3?!?!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I don't even remember guys we had by the name of Gilbert & Davis. And we got two 6th rounders! Come on Gutekunst, trade off some of those guys on the bottom of our roster for 2025 draft picks. Make it even more fun for those of us who will be in attendance!

Wouldn't it be cool if we had about 15 picks on days 2 and 3?!?!
Reggie Gilbert and Trevor Davis

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I remember Trevor Davis. Have no idea who Reggie Gilbert is though. Was he a LB?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, I remember Trevor Davis. Have no idea who Reggie Gilbert is though. Was he a LB?
Yeah OLB - he started 5 games for Jax after the trade but then never made an active roster after that year though and last time he was signed by anyone was 2021 by the Lions.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bingo! It wasn't that AJO the PLAYER wasn't worth a trade to someone, but it was AJO the CONTRACT due on the existing deal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally outside of Brooks, none of these guys are elite type backs, could be very good or will be solid RB2s out the gate types sure TONS of them, but you can wait for the third round easily and I guarantee at least a couple of Benson, Lloyd, Estime, Wright, Corum, Allen, Guerrendo, Davis....and shoot beyond them the drop isn't severe to Laube, Shipley, Johnson, Tracy types either.
I'm not getting what people are seeing in Guerrendo. He always just looked like a track star masquerading as a football player. I never once saw anything resembling RB instincts.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not getting what people are seeing in Guerrendo. He always just looked like a track star masquerading as a football player. I never once saw anything resembling RB instincts.
Me neither. And if people are also worried about another RB battling injuries, this kid was the epitome of walking wounded at UW.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jefe, what is a plethora?

People seem to forget 2 teams/GMs are required for a trade. Not like Gute goes... "I want a 3rd rounder for this player, Tennessee.. you are going to give that to me"

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trades do happen for players about to he cut. Most of the time these cuts are well expected but sometimes they are a surprise. This year the Bengals already announced they were cutting Mixon but the Texans still traded for him. Keep in mind in a trade the player keeps his contract while with free agents teams can negotiate. Teams might trade for a player about to be cut if they A) really like the guy, B) are willing to accept the contract, and C) don't want to have to compete for the player.

In the case of Jones as with many cap casualty cuts, no one probably wanted to take on the contract. I'm guessing in most cases, if not all, before cutting a player a Gm will see if there is any interest in a trade. In most cases there will not be as teams interested are generally willing to take their chances that they will be able to outbid or otherwise be able to convince the player to sign with them.

Reaction score
I'll say this much about Gute, the man was cut from GM stone. He does not allow emotions to control decisions...time and time again he has showcased this. The list of guys he has let walk, released or drafted their replacement before they're gone is extensive.

Twitter has cut Gute up for this, however - unlike fans and even the Packer pundits out there in the news media that are more fan than reporter, he needs to behave in this manner. Emotions hold on to Z despite his destructive tendencies...emotions overpay for Jamaal years back...we keep Mike Daniels despite declining...Cobb never leaves....Davante isn't traded....Marcedes gets resigned....we don't draft Love.....Bakh isn't released.....Rodgers is still here....

The hard decisions not many could easily do he does.

I despise letting Aaron Jones walk. Despise it.

I don't however despise letting a back go that is going to be 30, missed half dozen games last year (left others early) and due $17M....

I didn't even list many of the decisions he's made, I'm sure many of you have others.

Sure he'd love some picks back in the draft, but those are coin tosses - true player personnell decisions the dude has done what many wouldn't be able to I bet.
I used to get more emotional in the teams decisions to release players. However the league as a whole really has changed in the way they apply cap rules and players’ protections and all sorts of stuff we’re not even thinking of. Teams are basically businesses just trying to survive and thrive without breaking any rules. I don’t think teams look at it like we do if that makes sense.
We see it from a “fans” perspective. They see it from an almost legal or monetary perspective

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ill never understand why we don't trade a good player who is under contract for SOMETHING?! Even a 6th or 7th round pick. Logic would say a team who values Jones may have given a higher pick than that for dibs on him.... Then we also have a little say about where he goes too.

Anyways. It is what it is. I like #8
However this is an example where I think the Packers Do want to do right by certain players. Are they going to punish Jones and wait until after all his potential options diminish?
They essentially gave up a potential later round draft pick to allow Jones to freely sign wherever. Probably a smart PR move beyond helping the player out there.

Edit: just realized, I’m late to the game on that response sorry.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to get more emotional in the teams decisions to release players. However the league as a whole really has changed in the way they apply cap rules and players’ protections and all sorts of stuff we’re not even thinking of. Teams are basically businesses just trying to survive and thrive without breaking any rules. I don’t think teams look at it like we do if that makes sense.
We see it from a “fans” perspective. They see it from an almost legal or monetary perspective
I was absolutely devastated when I heard the news that Eddie Mathews had been traded by the Milwaukee Braves to the Houston Colt 45's/Astros. I was 7 years old.

Members online

Latest posts