Unwavering...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much about Gute, the man was cut from GM stone. He does not allow emotions to control decisions...time and time again he has showcased this. The list of guys he has let walk, released or drafted their replacement before they're gone is extensive.

Twitter has cut Gute up for this, however - unlike fans and even the Packer pundits out there in the news media that are more fan than reporter, he needs to behave in this manner. Emotions hold on to Z despite his destructive tendencies...emotions overpay for Jamaal years back...we keep Mike Daniels despite declining...Cobb never leaves....Davante isn't traded....Marcedes gets resigned....we don't draft Love.....Bakh isn't released.....Rodgers is still here....

The hard decisions not many could easily do he does.

I despise letting Aaron Jones walk. Despise it.

I don't however despise letting a back go that is going to be 30, missed half dozen games last year (left others early) and due $17M....

I didn't even list many of the decisions he's made, I'm sure many of you have others.

Sure he'd love some picks back in the draft, but those are coin tosses - true player personnell decisions the dude has done what many wouldn't be able to I bet.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy definitely has hardcore guts. Overall he's been much more good than bad. There isn't a GM in the league who hasn't it thrown some clunkers in the draft. He has to knock this draft out of the park though.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with much of the above but Re: Jones - arent we going to pay him a huge chunk of that $17M anyway? Definitely missed the boat on dumping Rodgers if Denver would have sent us anywhere NEAR the haul SEA got for Wison.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget the guts that TT had, to release guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle. He got eviscerated by the fans but they were the right moves. Rivera did nothing. Wahle was still a good guard but he got paid handsomely. Then TT went out and drafted Rodgers, which also pissed off the fans and media. Those are stones. It also shows how much we know.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much about Gute, the man was cut from GM stone. He does not allow emotions to control decisions...time and time again he has showcased this. The list of guys he has let walk, released or drafted their replacement before they're gone is extensive.

Twitter has cut Gute up for this, however - unlike fans and even the Packer pundits out there in the news media that are more fan than reporter, he needs to behave in this manner. Emotions hold on to Z despite his destructive tendencies...emotions overpay for Jamaal years back...we keep Mike Daniels despite declining...Cobb never leaves....Davante isn't traded....Marcedes gets resigned....we don't draft Love.....Bakh isn't released.....Rodgers is still here....

The hard decisions not many could easily do he does.

I despise letting Aaron Jones walk. Despise it.

I don't however despise letting a back go that is going to be 30, missed half dozen games last year (left others early) and due $17M....

I didn't even list many of the decisions he's made, I'm sure many of you have others.

Sure he'd love some picks back in the draft, but those are coin tosses - true player personnell decisions the dude has done what many wouldn't be able to I bet.
Can you explain the $17 mil number to me please. On here I have read he was under contract this year for $12 mil. An article I read yesterday said he was due $11 mil this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy definitely has hardcore guts. Overall he's been much more good than bad. There isn't a GM in the league who hasn't it thrown some clunkers in the draft. He has to knock this draft out of the park though.
Not imo. He just needs to continue to hit his average. He's got 11 picks. Five in the first 91 picks. He's set himself up well for success. He's got the youngest roster in the league again with many that are poised to make improvement and very few that have topped out imo. The future is so bright in Green Bay, that all of us should be wearing shades.

Carry on comrades. :cool:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to knock this draft out of the park though.

Why? To make up for Jones?

You always want a GM to knock it out of the park, but I'm not sure he needs to knock it out of the park. I think the goal of the draft is to shore up O-line, DB and LB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

You always want a GM to knock it out of the park, but I'm not sure he needs to knock it out of the park. I think the goal of the draft is to shore up O-line, DB and LB.
I'd personally add DL to your list. Clark and Slaton have expiring contracts after the 24 season.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's a good time to pick up one of the top three RBs also. We need 3. With Wilson being the other one

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's a good time to pick up one of the top three RBs also. We need 3. With Wilson being the other one
I somewhat agree but I'm unconvinced that is actually in management's plans. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd pick up a RB that is a really good blocker in either FA or the draft this year and go after a faster RB next year if Wilson does not improve much. Imo, this keeps Dillon in the mix as a potential signee for cheap if he isn't scooped up by someone. Also, it would be really nice to have someone in the RB room that knows the playbook well. I'd be willing to bet that the Packers are still in contact with Dillon's agent.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think that another FA is a possibility if they like any of the guys still available in the third wave of FA. They will draft a RB (or two), it's just a question of which round.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I somewhat agree but I'm unconvinced that is actually in management's plans. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd pick up a RB that is a really good blocker in either FA or the draft this year and go after a faster RB next year if Wilson does not improve much. Imo, this keeps Dillon in the mix as a potential signee for cheap if he isn't scooped up by someone. Also, it would be really nice to have someone in the RB room that knows the playbook well. I'd be willing to bet that the Packers are still in contact with Dillon's agent.
What's cheap is getting a top notched RB in the draft. I think we could get one of the top 3 with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. I hope we don't go the Dillon route and don't think we will. It sounds like they are high on Wilson though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's cheap is getting a top notched RB in the draft. I think we could get one of the top 3 with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. I hope we don't go the Dillon route and don't think we will. It sounds like they are high on Wilson though.

Personally outside of Brooks, none of these guys are elite type backs, could be very good or will be solid RB2s out the gate types sure TONS of them, but you can wait for the third round easily and I guarantee at least a couple of Benson, Lloyd, Estime, Wright, Corum, Allen, Guerrendo, Davis....and shoot beyond them the drop isn't severe to Laube, Shipley, Johnson, Tracy types either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you explain the $17 mil number to me please. On here I have read he was under contract this year for $12 mil. An article I read yesterday said he was due $11 mil this year.
There's a good article here if you want a deeper explanation: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...ackers-aaron-jones-2024-contract-salary-stats

Essentially, he was due a salary of $12M in 2024 but his cap number in 2024 was $17.6M, due to dead cap money that was already paid to Jones. The article says that Jones will still count $12.3M of dead cap money even if they cut him. I don't fully understand all of the numbers, but that is what was reported.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm most concerned at this moment about having a RB that can block well. From what I hear, Jacobs is a lousy blocker and Wilson is certainly unproven as a blocker. Dillon checks that box, knows the playbook, and can run between the tackles. We've got outside runners in Jacobs, Wilson, Reed, Watson and Melton. Need another hammer that can block and catch imo.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not imo. He just needs to continue to hit his average. He's got 11 picks. Five in the first 91 picks. He's set himself up well for success. He's got the youngest roster in the league again with many that are poised to make improvement and very few that have topped out imo. The future is so bright in Green Bay, that all of us should be wearing shades.

Carry on comrades. :cool:
You only have to knock it out of the park when there are 2 outs and nobody on base. The Pack seem to have the bases loaded and nobody out. A bases clearing double and a 2 out RBI single will do just fine.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a good article here if you want a deeper explanation: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...ackers-aaron-jones-2024-contract-salary-stats

Essentially, he was due a salary of $12M in 2024 but his cap number in 2024 was $17.6M, due to dead cap money that was already paid to Jones. The article says that Jones will still count $12.3M of dead cap money even if they cut him. I don't fully understand all of the numbers, but that is what was reported.
Thanks. I thought the statement that he was due $17 million was mis-leading.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm most concerned at this moment about having a RB that can block well. From what I hear, Jacobs is a lousy blocker and Wilson is certainly unproven as a blocker. Dillon checks that box, knows the playbook, and can run between the tackles. We've got outside runners in Jacobs, Wilson, Reed, Watson and Melton. Need another hammer that can block and catch imo.
Just one metric but here are Jacobs and Jones blocking grades per PFF:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem. Now I need you to help me with those blocking grades. I can't make out heads from tails.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's got five picks out of the first 91. That's what I'm focused on knocking out of the park. They've got to be on the field from day one and be solid contributors and improvements at the positions are taking over. Not special teams or will bring them along and hope we got something by year three

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem. Now I need you to help me with those blocking grades. I can't make out heads from tails.
I pulled just Jacobs (first image) and Jones (second) blocking grades.

PFF provides an overall PassBlk grade and a RunBlk grade separately hence the two columns. Those are each of their seasons starting at the top with 2023 and working back older down. Hence why Jones has more seasons worth of grades.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's got five picks out of the first 91. That's what I'm focused on knocking out of the park. They've got to be on the field from day one and be solid contributors and improvements at the positions are taking over.

Then you are going to be massively disappointed because that is not what they do. The most likely scenario is probably an O-line starter, backup RB, starting/backup safety and depth at DL/LB/DB. Which I'd be fine with myself.

Plus.. teams just don't hit 5 for 5 regardless of how high the picks are.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GM has to be able to not only keep the current team relevant, but make sure long term there are replacements and depth. With 5 in the first 91 picks, we have exactly that chance to build solid depth and future starters/rotational guys.

I think we may have a top 3 GM on our hands.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill never understand why we don't trade a good player who is under contract for SOMETHING?! Even a 6th or 7th round pick. Logic would say a team who values Jones may have given a higher pick than that for dibs on him.... Then we also have a little say about where he goes too.

Anyways. It is what it is. I like #8

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts