Ty Mont's Future in Green Bay

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Montgomery currently offers the best option to run the ball and presents a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. The Packers better enter next season with at least another player capable of rushing the ball effectively for 10+ attempts a game though whether that might be Lacy, Michael or someone else.

I would be perfectly happy for the Packers to bring back Eddie next year (at a good value) and using Ty and Eddie as a tandem with Ty being the main guy outside the goal line and just letting Eddie be the goal line back/pound out the clock in the fourth quarter guy. Use them like the Pats use Blount/Lewis/White; teams with terrible run defenses get Eddie and teams with really good run defenses get Ty.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be perfectly happy for the Packers to bring back Eddie next year (at a good value) and using Ty and Eddie as a tandem with Ty being the main guy outside the goal line and just letting Eddie be the goal line back/pound out the clock in the fourth quarter guy. Use them like the Pats use Blount/Lewis/White; teams with terrible run defenses get Eddie and teams with really good run defenses get Ty.

I would absolutely be fine with adding a power running back to complement Montgomery next season. In my opinion Lacy blew his chance showing up out of shape for a second consecutive season, especially in a contract year, though.

H

HardRightEdge

MM, like every other NFL coach, wants to win this year because there are zero guarantees next year. Shelf life for players is not very important unless it's the QB. I seriously doubt MM is willing to sacrifice wins this year on the off chance that Ty can retire in 2021 instead of 2019.
Montgomery has been injury prone without having taken a ton of snaps. He runs high.

So, if as you say McCarthy wants to win now and injury is not a concern, how do you account for his limited carries?

What could possibly be the reason McCarthy is limiting Montgomery's carries when he is in fact the second coming of Le'veon Bell, Barry Sanders or fill in the blank, at a time when any loss ends the season?

The only plausible explanation is that McCarthy doesn't know he's doing. I'm sure you will all agree.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery has been injury prone without having taken a ton of snaps. He runs high.

So, if as you say McCarthy wants to win now and injury is not a concern, how do you account for his limited carries?

What could possibly be the reason McCarthy is limiting Montgomery's carries when he is in fact the second coming of Le'veon Bell, Barry Sanders or fill in the blank, at a time when any loss ends the season?

The only plausible explanation is that McCarthy doesn't know he's doing. I'm sure you will all agree.

McCarthy mentioned during his press conference today that Montgomery could carry the ball 20 times a game if he had to. There has only been a single poster (not a credible one in my opinion) comparing him to elite running backs.

H

HardRightEdge

What I'd like to see is Montgomery getting 5 or 6 touches in the passing game instead of the 2 or 3 over the past 6 weeks. He's awfully good when he gets the ball in space.

H

HardRightEdge

Come on, don't leave us hanging. I found one poster ranking him in the top 5 RB. Everyone else says he's the best we've got, very versatile, only going to get better, et. al. Who are the multiple folks who've called him elite?
Well, there was Eli and that buttercup guy. Coming down the scale, I see folks making him a top 10 or top 15 RB. I see folks talking about 20 carries per game.

I like him for 10 carries, 5 or 6 catches.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks is in concussion protocol due to a car accident so Ty may get more time this weekend.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll never mistake Ty for Ourman Green. Would love to have a guy like that healthy on the roster right now, it is the christmas season after all, might as well ask for one.

He's not going to be Bell or Johnson either, but I still think he could have a huge impact out of the backfield for us consistently from here forward.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can explain his limited carries by pointing out that MM is very reluctant to embrace a non-traditional running back and only turned to Ty when his hand was forced. MM has been unwilling to figure out how to make a non-traditional RB like Ty a big part of the offensive game plan. It's been pointed out quite often that MM is slow to alter "his" offense and having a guy like Ty in the gameplan is a pretty big departure from what MM has traditionally run.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there was Eli and that buttercup guy. Coming down the scale, I see folks making him a top 10 or top 15 RB. I see folks talking about 20 carries per game.

I like him for 10 carries, 5 or 6 catches.

Peanutbutter is the one I did see. Eli's only post was
Montgomery is too small to be a feature RB...... So is Barry Sanders...
and I don't think he's seriously comparing Ty to Barry. Didn't see anyone making him top 10, 15 or any other number rated RB. Many folks talking about more carries, but, again, because he's our best RB. In fact, if we're going to talk about multiple posts, there are a number that basically call him a decent option until a real RB comes along.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Ty Montgomery the 2nd best rb in the NFC North right now? Peterson is out. Abdullah is out. Lacy is out. Rid**** might be out again. Howard is likely the best. Minnesota's backs arent good. Maybe some would take mckinnon over Montgomery but not sure why

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers seeming to be determined to only use 3 WRs on a consistent basis and those three being Nelson, Cobb and Adams it makes sense to get Montgomery involved more in the RB position. The guy is just too talented to not get him the ball. At this point I do not think he is an elite RB. He certainly is not a top 5 RB and I'm not sure I would want him carrying the ball 20+ times a game on a consistent basis if we had to rely on the running game but at this point we do not have to so we have some leeway there. For now I say get him somewhere somewhere around 10-15 carries a game and another 5-10 targets in the passing game and I think he will do great. If he needs to get 20+ carries this week to make up for Starks being out (if he is) then fine. You need a back who can do that on occasion and I think he is good for it now and then but until he gets an offseason under his belt where he works out exclusively at RB I really don't want him to be that 20+ carry per game guy.

The key is to get him the ball somehow.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The key is to get him the ball somehow.

THAT is how I feel. However, handing off to him 20+ times/game from the backfield, I just don't think is going to have the results some are extrapolating his current numbers to. I think Ty's value is the uncertainty he poses to defenses as to what he is going to do on any given play, is he going to get a handoff or come out of the backfield and need to be covered? Since the Bear game he has averaged 5 1/2 carries a game and 3 1/2 receptions and the results have been pretty good. I just don't see the Packers getting away from what they are currently having success at, just to try to give Ty more carries. I could see 10 carries a game, but unless something happens to Rodgers, 20 may be asking too much as well as changing what the Packers are succeeding at.

H

HardRightEdge

Peanutbutter is the one I did see. Eli's only post was
and I don't think he's seriously comparing Ty to Barry. Didn't see anyone making him top 10, 15 or any other number rated RB. Many folks talking about more carries, but, again, because he's our best RB. In fact, if we're going to talk about multiple posts, there are a number that basically call him a decent option until a real RB comes along.
Oh, yes. See the posts that list who people think are the better RBs right now. I think you missed Eli's typical hyperbole. How about the post, right on schedule, right below the one I'm responding to...2nd. best in the NFC?

15 touches would be a good number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Oh, yes. See the posts that list who people think are the better RBs right now. I think you missed the Eli's typical hyberbole. How about the post, right on schedule, right below the one I'm responding to...2nd. best in the NFC?

Think that poster said second best in the NFC North ;)

I get why people are excited about Ty, but at this point calling him a top anything RB is premature IMO. Could he possibly be? Sure. But come on, he has carried the ball 44 times this year and 47 in his NFL career. I really don't think that is quite enough information to vault him into the elite just yet. Jeff Janis is averaging 19 yards/carry, nobody has mentioned him getting more carries.

Keep using Ty in the way that they are, with Starks possibly out and/or not playing well, give him a few more carries, but don't expect Barry Sanders lined up back there ready to carry this team with his rushing efforts.

H

HardRightEdge

Think that poster said second best in the NFC North ;)

I get why people are excited about Ty, but at this point calling him a top anything RB is premature IMO. Could he possibly be? Sure. But come on, he has carried the ball 44 times this year and 47 in his NFL career. I really don't think that is quite enough information to vault him into the elite just yet. Jeff Janis is averaging 19 yards/carry, nobody has mentioned him getting more carries.

Keep using Ty in the way that they are, with Starks possibly out and/or not playing well, give him a few more carries, but don't expect Barry Sanders lined up back there ready to carry this team with his rushing efforts.
Yeah, the real test is taking a pounding week after week and then seeing what comes out on the other side.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, yes. See the posts that list who people think are the better RBs right now. I think you missed Eli's typical hyperbole. How about the post, right on schedule, right below the one I'm responding to...2nd. best in the NFC?

I am pretty sure you are referencing me. I said 2nd best in the North right now. It was more of a statement of how bad the rbs are in the north. Howard is looking good for a rookie then you have guys like mckinnon a asiata Washington and if healthy Rid****. The rb position in the North has been crushed by injury and I would put ty right up there with the group that is left outside howard

D

Deleted member 6794

If he needs to get 20+ carries this week to make up for Starks being out (if he is) then fine.

If Starks misses Sunday´s game I don´t expect Montgomery to get more carries but Michael´s workload to increase.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Ahman Green was a 3-down back and one of the best in the league at getting a tough yard.

Didn't say Ty was the next Ahman Green and didn't compare them at all. Only said he finally fills the decade long void for a pass-catching RB for 3rd downs (i.e. passing downs) that has existed since the days of A. Green.

I didn't realize invoking Ahman Green's name was some sort of blasphemy, so, to quote Steve Martin "excuuuuuuuuse meeeeeeeeeee".