Trick Plays

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Staleys tried two trick plays today and both were negated by penalties. They set up for a wildcat play that was blown dead and then had a punt return wiped out. Either of them would have made the game much more interesting.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much more interesting? Almost sounds like these aforementioned play(s) wouldve turned the tide in the Bears favor. Why would these plays have made for a BETTER game for Green Bay? Hmmm....

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trick plays are only brilliant or interesting when they work out. Otherwise the team just looks like a bunch of idiots. Consider the flea flicker for example. When it works, they look like geniuses but when it fails, it usually means a disaster of epic proportions.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about that kick off return, saying it was a BS call but what ever, that's typical.

Cutler got lucky with the 3rd interception being called back.
Wanna know why?

I watched the Saints game today, and Brees got the **** knocked out of him helmet to helmet and the ref said he was not a defenseless player (since Brees was sliding down and got hit hard) it was a typical BS call, but had that been little baby Cutler, there would have been flags all over the place just like last week when they couldn't put him down in the dome without getting flags everywhere.

It's kinda like, they know he's fragile, he's a wus to not finish the NFC Championship game (No ****, he QUIT on his team! Look at Tony Romo, way worse injury and he came back) but they got to protect him.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I got to give the Bears this. That punt return was a thing of beauty. Only a dork caught holding all the way across the field saved us from chewing out fingernails waiting for an onside kick attempt.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about that kick off return, saying it was a BS call but what ever, that's typical.

Cutler got lucky with the 3rd interception being called back.
Wanna know why?

I watched the Saints game today, and Brees got the **** knocked out of him helmet to helmet and the ref said he was not a defenseless player (since Brees was sliding down and got hit hard) it was a typical BS call, but had that been little baby Cutler, there would have been flags all over the place just like last week when they couldn't put him down in the dome without getting flags everywhere.

It's kinda like, they know he's fragile, he's a wus to not finish the NFC Championship game (No ****, he QUIT on his team! Look at Tony Romo, way worse injury and he came back) but they got to protect him.

I'll put it this way. I certainly don't expect no fine for that Cutler hit.

Reaction score
Buck and Aikman weren't paying attention because the ref saw the hold almost immediately. Other than the hold, that was a brilliant try by Da Bears to try and get a TD....I am just not sure if it should be done when you are down double digits in the 4th quarter.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Bears, however that punt return was awesome. Never seen anything like that in all my years of watching football. Can you imagine the person that came up with that idea? "Hey, I got an idea...I'm sure it will work..."

I would have looked at that guy like he was nuts. "It will never work...are you crazy?"

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
It was pretty impressive. It is not all that easy to fool those NFL cameramen. It amazes me how good of a job they (the cameramen) do. I am torn between admiring the guts it took to attempt it and the desperation that made them try. All I can say for certain is Thank God some idiot on their squad felt it necessary to hold so the play was negated.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
There's a part of me that thinks it would be a good idea for all Bears fans to stay in the closet, but then who would we razz when the Pack beats them?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Bears, however that punt return was awesome. Never seen anything like that in all my years of watching football. Can you imagine the person that came up with that idea? "Hey, I got an idea...I'm sure it will work..."

I would have looked at that guy like he was nuts. "It will never work...are you crazy?"

The scariest part about that play was it would of worked had it not been for the holding call. We walked right into that trap too. The problem for the Bears is, they let the cat out of the bag with this play and they'd be truly foolish to try and run it again. Imagine future opponents studying film on that play. Probably just sitting there shaking their heads. If the Bears are crazy enough to attempt that, they are crazy enough to do anything which brings up a different question. This seems to me as a last act of desperation. You have to be at the end of your tether to try and pull that off. Are the Bears a lot worse off then we think? It just makes me wonder.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he signal a fair catch? If so they need to add another rule and make that a 15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. You can not just abuse a rule that was created for the safety of the players. Technically everyone other than the actual guy with the ball could call a fair catch. The kicking team has its back to the ball so they would have no idea who they could or could not hit.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
It was a great trick play, something that will go down in Packer versus Bears lore. It was a great fake, and one of the reasons why you have to love seeing Packer Bears game. I was kind of disappointed that wild cat play didn't work, would of loved to see a pass to Cutler get intercepted. Wonder if Cutler could make the tackle?

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I got to give the Bears this. That punt return was a thing of beauty. Only a dork caught holding all the way across the field saved us from chewing out fingernails waiting for an onside kick attempt.
This is what I meant by interesting. It would have made a much for a more closer game. The flag on the punt was thrown before Knox had the ball. Where did he line up? Looks like he was jamming the gunner and then turned to find the ball. I also never actually saw Hester signal a fair catch. The announcers just said he did out of ignorance. If he did, the ball is downed where Knox caught it. In the old days when teams sent two returners back on punts, one could signal the fair catch for the other.
And no I am not a closet Bear fan but I am a fan of football second. That was an innovative if not juvenile play. I'd expect it in a Pop Warner league, not the NFL.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he signal a fair catch? If so they need to add another rule and make that a 15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. You can not just abuse a rule that was created for the safety of the players. Technically everyone other than the actual guy with the ball could call a fair catch. The kicking team has its back to the ball so they would have no idea who they could or could not hit.
are you serious? all punt returners call a fair catch. especially when they are inside the 10 yd line hoping for the ball to go in the end zone. On ESPN tonite Keyshawn gave that play, the "C'mon"...and he said there was no holding,,he's clueless

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I want Cutler to try to execute the flea flicker on 4th and goal (or long) next week just so I can sit there and giggle.

You don't need him to try a flea-flicker to sit and giggle at Cutler; just watch him play.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have nothing left in the armory, throw sticks!

That play reminded me of back yard football when i was 14!

The Packers should be embarrassed they were fooled by it.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Trick plays are only brilliant or interesting when they work out. Otherwise the team just looks like a bunch of idiots. Consider the flea flicker for example. When it works, they look like geniuses but when it fails, it usually means a disaster of epic proportions.

You know Kitten, I just saw it for the first time on YouTube and too me it looked like it was our team that looked like the bunch of idiots.:cool:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts