Trey Flowers

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Patriots have to make a decision, Trey Flowers or Trent Brown. With Brady’s age and their history of not retaining defensive playmakers, I can’t imagine they let their LT walk away in free agency. What would you think about incorporating Flowers into the defense? Where would he fit in a 3-4?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a 3-4 olb at 6-2 266. Not normally a guy I would like as hes slow running a 4.83 coming out. But apparently he has done something right as hes basically a consistent 7 sack 50 tackle a year guy. Hes definitely a piece that can help a defense a very solid starter but by no means a star. I wouldn't mind gim being a packer I just think he's gonna command more money than I would want the Packers to spend on him. I'm thinking he gets around 10 million per which I think is too rich for me personally

D

Deleted member 6794

Patriots have to make a decision, Trey Flowers or Trent Brown. With Brady’s age and their history of not retaining defensive playmakers, I can’t imagine they let their LT walk away in free agency. What would you think about incorporating Flowers into the defense? Where would he fit in a 3-4?

Flowers would definitely be a great addition as an edge rusher for the Packers. It would take the Packers to offer him a lot of money to sign in Green Bay though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a 3-4 olb at 6-2 266. Not normally a guy I would like as hes slow running a 4.83 coming out. But apparently he has done something right as hes basically a consistent 7 sack 50 tackle a year guy. Hes definitely a piece that can help a defense a very solid starter but by no means a star. I wouldn't mind gim being a packer I just think he's gonna command more money than I would want the Packers to spend on him. I'm thinking he gets around 10 million per which I think is too rich for me personally
I would be careful with any FA from NE. For whatever reason, Belichick seems to get a lot more out of players than most coaches. Seems to me they have lost a bunch of stars over the years who fail to make a similar impact for their new team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers landed Flowers, I think he'd spend most of his time playing somewhere from the 4i to the 7 as that's where he wins. Call that whatever you want but there's a role for it.

But I think it's wishful thinking to say that they will be forced to choose. They can clear an extra 10M in space via Gronk. They may just keep both or tag one and sign the other.

BB has a history of moving on from defensive stars when they're on the back end of their contract, but not when they're 25.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be careful with any FA from NE. For whatever reason, Belichick seems to get a lot more out of players than most coaches. Seems to me they have lost a bunch of stars over the years who fail to make a similar impact for their new team.

Yeah I'm not advocating flowers to the Packers while I do think he's a very solid starter I think he's gonna get paid like more than that.

The former patriot edge rusher that comes to my mind when reading your post is Chandler Jones and he's been pretty good in arizona. So I'm sure it's gone both ways. I don't expect the Patriots will be the team to over pay him so we'll find out

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers landed Flowers, I think he'd spend most of his time playing somewhere from the 4i to the 7 as that's where he wins. Call that whatever you want but there's a role for it.

But I think it's wishful thinking to say that they will be forced to choose. They can clear an extra 10M in space via Gronk. They may just keep both or tag one and sign the other.

BB has a history of moving on from defensive stars when they're on the back end of their contract, but not when they're 25.

Chandler Jones was 25 when bb moved him to Arizona. Jamie Collins while not in particular was moved to Cleveland at 25. So bb does move on but he gets value he got a 2nd and jonnathan Cooper for Jones and either a 3rd or 4th for collins

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Chandler Jones was 25 when bb moved him to Arizona. Jamie Collins while not in particular was moved to Cleveland at 25. So bb does move on but he gets value he got a 2nd and jonnathan Cooper for Jones and either a 3rd or 4th for collins

You said there at the end what I would have replied-- he has traded guys young for value, but that's different than just allowing a guy to leave. I'm not aware of a pattern of him just letting great defenders walk in their mid twenties.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said there at the end what I would have replied-- he has traded guys young for value, but that's different than just allowing a guy to leave. I'm not aware of a pattern of him just letting great defenders walk in their mid twenties.

Yeah I agree there's a decent chance flowers isn't a patriot next season because bb doesn't want to give him a huge contract but whoever gets him is gonna have to give up a pick

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Flowers hits the market, which I doubt, then he's going to be one of, if not the most highly sought after FA this off-season

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trent Brown (great acquisition btw) will be allowed to leave, and Isaiah Wynn will replace him next year.

Reaction score
Him or Dee Ford. As long as they promise NOT to encroach into the neutral zone during playoff contests. :eek:

Last edited:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Signing players coming from a team that went to the super bowl can be a trap.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Signing players coming from a team that went to the super bowl can be a trap.

It can if you artificially inflate their value but Flowers has been consistently good for a long time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Of course we are all guessing at this point, but I would be shocked if Flowers, Lawrence, Ford, or Clark actually hit free agency. I strongly suspect they will be extended or tagged first. To a slightly lesser extent, I have doubts about Clowney too.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree there's a decent chance flowers isn't a patriot next season because bb doesn't want to give him a huge contract but whoever gets him is gonna have to give up a pick

He is an unrestricted free agent. Anyone can sign him without giving up a pick if I am not mistaken.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Of course we are all guessing at this point, but I would be shocked if Flowers, Lawrence, Ford, or Clark actually hit free agency. I strongly suspect they will be extended or tagged first. To a slightly lesser extent, I have doubts about Clowney too.
I thought KC would retain Dee Ford, but after that mental error that cost his team a super bowl, I can’t see them throwing much cash his way.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That won't make a difference.
Seems indeed farfetched to think that will impact his market significantly.
I thought KC would retain Dee Ford, but after that mental error that cost his team a super bowl, I can’t see them throwing much cash his way.
Indeed given the severity of the mistake, I am confident he will have learned from it and not let it happen again, especially with so much on the line