Tretter likely headed to short-term IR list

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? A multiple week injury now becomes a 10 week injury? It happened 11 days ago, and instead of him coming back on or around 9/30 now it'll be 11/08? Why bother, just IR him. Zero game snaps in '13, zero games snaps until 11/09 at the absolute earliest...:tdown:

Really, REALLY need to get Garth off of that PS and onto the 53, then.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Really? A multiple week injury now becomes a 10 week injury? It happened 11 days ago, and instead of him coming back on or around 9/30 now it'll be 11/08? Why bother, just IR him. Zero game snaps in '13, zero games snaps until 11/09 at the absolute earliest...:tdown:

The only way Gerhart makes the 53 IMO is if Linsley gets injured.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way Gerhart makes the 53 IMO is if Linsley gets injured.
An in-game injury to Linsley means that Lang (RG) gets moved to OC and Taylor enters at RG... leaving both positions weaker. Let the musical chairs (positions) begin...

***Edit***
I want Gerhart up on the 53 so that a team (e.g. Tampa Bay) doesn't sign him if they have an injury at OC. Currently EDS is their only OC, and their line isn't in the top 20 the way it is.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

An in-game injury to Linsley means that Lang (RG) gets moved to OC and Taylor enters at RG... leaving both positions weaker. Let the musical chairs (positions) begin...

For sure not an ideal situation, let´s hope Linsley will be able to stay healthy.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

Maybe that's the reason he's going on IR.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have indeed put JC Tretter on the short term IR and promoted Garth Gerhart to the roster. In addition they've signed Monroe OL Josh Allen to the practice squad.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I wonder when/if guys on here are going to start comparing Tretter to Sherrod and Harrell
I am constantly amazed at how little tolerance there is for injuries amongst the madden crowd. In the modern era of the NFL, Not getting injured is a crapshoot. Some guys are lucky and some are not. Bishop had a guy fall on his a Achilles. Collins and Finley got hit in the head, Sherrod had a guy fall on his leg. Pity the Rams (my old team). It's just a part of this game. Everyone gets injured it's just how bad. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the wind shield.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would anyone be surprised about Tretter going on IR? Nobody on this forum (I suspect) has any idea exactly what his injury is, do they?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Nobody on this forum (I suspect) has any idea exactly what his injury is, do they?
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00523
Fractured kneecap... I'm no doctor, but it didn't require surgery and he played most of the 1st half AFTER it happened, so wasn't a complete shatter or open fracture. I'm just guessing, but I'd say that after being immobilized for 4+ weeks there would be some muscle & flexibility loss so they're giving him time to rehab and restrengthen.

My "issue" is why say it's a 6 week injury in the days after? Why wait until 11 days later to determine that it's a 10 week injury?

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed at how little tolerance there is for injuries amongst the madden crowd. In the modern era of the NFL, Not getting injured is a crapshoot. Some guys are lucky and some are not. Bishop had a guy fall on his a Achilles. Collins and Finley got hit in the head, Sherrod had a guy fall on his leg. Pity the Rams (my old team). It's just a part of this game. Everyone gets injured it's just how bad. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the wind shield.

So you think that being the most oftly injured team 4 of the last 5 years has nothing to do with the training staff....perfect case in point. Tretter out 6 weeks, oh nope, out 10 weeks. Why is the original injury time way off? Did the training staff diagnose the injury? Hmmmm.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So you think that being the most oftly injured team 4 of the last 5 years has nothing to do with the training staff....perfect case in point. Tretter out 6 weeks, oh nope, out 10 weeks. Why is the original injury time way off? Did the training staff diagnose the injury? Hmmmm.

Just to be fair, since you´ve posted that for several times now, we´ve been one of the most injured teams in the league 3 out of the last 4 years. In 2009 we were ranked 8th in Football Outsiders adjusted games lost.

I agree with your opinion though that the Packers medical staff is one of the most cautios in the entire league when it comes to clearing players and that if the team suffers a lot of injuries this season again something has to be done about the training staff.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00523
Fractured kneecap... I'm no doctor, but it didn't require surgery and he played most of the 1st half AFTER it happened, so wasn't a complete shatter or open fracture. I'm just guessing, but I'd say that after being immobilized for 4+ weeks there would be some muscle & flexibility loss so they're giving him time to rehab and restrengthen.

My "issue" is why say it's a 6 week injury in the days after? Why wait until 11 days later to determine that it's a 10 week injury?
So, you've examined the patient and seen the xrays? Was it a fracture associated with a patellar subluxation? Or was it a subchondral fracture associated with a direct blow to the patella? If it was a subchondral fracture, how much of the patellar surface was involved? A few millimeters or over a centimeter?? Just wondering, since the treatment of various "fractures" varies with the mechanism of injury, and the extent of injury; and the time to recovery is associated with those variables as well. I'll trust the people who know the injury and are taking care of the injury.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if you're surprised that the press gets conflicting information, welcome to the world of the NFL.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter out 6 weeks, oh nope, out 10 weeks. Why is the original injury time way off? Did the training staff diagnose the injury? Hmmmm.
These aren't cars getting quotes at the shop. You can't pull off the intake manifold, write down the parts list, and give a precise repair quote. Often times with human injuries, you need to wait for the swelling to come down before getting a better estimate on recovery. In addition, xrays and images are often sent out to experts to examine and offer additional diagnosis.

In the end - who cares what was initially said. The guy is injured and it will take xx number of weeks to heal.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, you've examined the patient and seen the xrays? Was it a fracture associated with a patellar subluxation?
Just like EVERYONE in this forum, I sit in on all position meetings, spend the afternoon in the training room AND join in the coachs' strategy meetings every evening. I also arrive on game day, help tape ankles, warm-up with the special teams AND carry MM's spare headset on the sideline. Ask asinine questions, often?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like EVERYONE in this forum, I sit in on all position meetings, spend the afternoon in the training room AND join in the coachs' strategy meetings every evening. I also arrive on game day, help tape ankles, warm-up with the special teams AND carry MM's spare headset on the sideline. Ask asinine questions, often?
Asinine statements require questions. Agree?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You have some stats to back up that we are the most oftly injured team? Have you ever had a major injury? there is no set timeline on recovery, there are only estimates since injuries recover at different rates for different people. They had no responsibility and in fact may not have had an accurate diagnoses of the injury until the initial inflammation went down. Maybe they just decided it would be more prudent to give him that extra time since he's in a position where the knees are the workhorse and they wanted to clear a roster spot to get a backup center on the 53 in the mean time. This is the NFL, people will get injured, period. Bodies fly and take hits from all directions. I am just tired of the same old Whining about our injuries and how the training staff is responsible. You think that TT would have any hesitation firing people if he thought our injuries were do to incompetent people?

Let see, we have had a torn biceps, ACL and a knee injury to our center so far this season. This is the modern NFL. Compared to the old NFL these guys are monsters physically. You cannot strengthen connective tissue, you can make it more flexible but it gets moved in a way its not meant to it's going to break. You add the stress on the body for the course of an entire season..... Last year Rodgers Collar bone and Clays Thumb, Bulagas Hip fracture, Sherrods broken leg, bishops Achilles, Collins and Finley's neck, the ankle injuries... Those have not a damn thing to do with training.

I get frustrated with the injuries too, last year we had a Superbowl caliber team until injuries to our key guys. I get frustrated too but I'm not going to sit around and ***** that the whole problem is our training staff.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get frustrated with the injuries too, last year we had a Superbowl caliber team until injuries to our key guys. I get frustrated too but I'm not going to sit around and ***** that the whole problem is our training staff.

Correct.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m concerned about the injuries incurred by the Packers over the past several years and so is the organization. I don’t know why the Packers seem to have more than their fair share of injuries and if I did, certainly the organization would also know. But what I am not concerned about is what they say about the injuries that do happen. If they are more secretive than other teams about injuries that’s fine with me. If they say one thing knowing another is the case, as long as they abide by the rules about reporting injuries, that’s fine with me too. What’s important IMO is that they do all they can to prevent injuries, are smart about helping players recover from injuries, and smart about deciding when it makes sense for the players to return to action. As amply pointed out here, we as fans just don’t have enough information to weigh in much on this situation. Much less so than on what happens on the football field, even though we don’t know as much as the staff about that. IOW, what they do about injuries is extremely important. So IMO concern about the number of injuries as they relate to league averages is well founded. But I don't get the concern from Packers fans about what the Packers say about injuries.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have some stats to back up that we are the most oftly injured team?
I actually do. According to Football Outsiders, who generates their Adjusted Games Lost metric after each season, here is how the Packers ranked according to the years that I could mine out of their website last year:

High score (1) = least injuries
Low score (32) = most injuries
-----------------------------------
2008 - 17 out of 32 teams
2009 - 8 out of 32 teams
2010 - 30 out of 32 teams
2011 - 16 out of 32 teams
2012 - 32 out of 32 teams
2013 - 30 out of 32 teams

I don't have all of the other teams so I don't know their six year average, but we've been one of the most injured teams for three out of the last four seasons - including the most injured in 2012.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have some stats to back up that we are the most oftly injured team? Have you ever had a major injury? there is no set timeline on recovery, there are only estimates since injuries recover at different rates for different people. They had no responsibility and in fact may not have had an accurate diagnoses of the injury until the initial inflammation went down. Maybe they just decided it would be more prudent to give him that extra time since he's in a position where the knees are the workhorse and they wanted to clear a roster spot to get a backup center on the 53 in the mean time. This is the NFL, people will get injured, period. Bodies fly and take hits from all directions. I am just tired of the same old Whining about our injuries and how the training staff is responsible. You think that TT would have any hesitation firing people if he thought our injuries were do to incompetent people?

Let see, we have had a torn biceps, ACL and a knee injury to our center so far this season. This is the modern NFL. Compared to the old NFL these guys are monsters physically. You cannot strengthen connective tissue, you can make it more flexible but it gets moved in a way its not meant to it's going to break. You add the stress on the body for the course of an entire season..... Last year Rodgers Collar bone and Clays Thumb, Bulagas Hip fracture, Sherrods broken leg, bishops Achilles, Collins and Finley's neck, the ankle injuries... Those have not a damn thing to do with training.

you missed my point entirely but continue on the rant, its entertaining...

Members online

Latest posts