Training camp 2017 notes and observations.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Twitterings:

-Crazy WR competition. Yancey is coming on, Davis has made some big plays, McCaffrey is evidently always open, and Michael Clark continues to make big grabs.

This Clark kid looks like a keeper. Practice squad maybe. Kid is inexperienced but is a specimen.

Sky King

Reaction score
It will be interesting to how much UDFA raw talent it will take to trump any rookie WRs that have been drafted. Just guessing that there may be a natural bias towards the picks (except by the scout that found him) even if Clark is the better athlete with more athletic upside. Conversely, his anonymity may make him easier to stash on the PS than a rookie with the more impressive college football resume. It could be a big surprise if he makes the 53 but not the PS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It will be interesting to how much UDFA raw talent it will take to trump any rookie WRs that have been drafted. Just guessing that there may be a natural bias towards the picks (except by the scout that found him) even if Clark is the better athlete with more athletic upside. Conversely, his anonymity may make him easier to stash on the PS than a rookie with the more impressive college football resume. It could be a big surprise if he makes the 53 but not the PS.

It's early yet, but based solely on what I hear from the beat writers (i.e. This may be way off), Clark and McCaffrey are both having much better camps than Dupre.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine he has any trade value, can you? I think many fans greatly overrate what he did last season. He caught a few balls, mostly off-script when Rodgers scrambled. But ultimately we're talking about a UDFA who is a bad athlete, can't play special teams, and with off field baggage.

Agree. Vast majority of people I've seen or talked to seem to think Allison is a lock to make the 53 because he's "proven". He hasn't proven anything, he caught 12 balls and doesn't have much upside. I'm skeptical he can even make the 53, especially with suspension looming. I personally would prefer Jordy, Adams, Cobb, Davis, Dupree, Clark, and yancey or Janis for the 7th spot and yes I believe we should take 7

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King has apparently been struggling BIG time in camp. I know he got a late start and he's a bit banged up right now, but blegh. Guess you can't expect a rookie CB to come through right out of the gate.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King has apparently been struggling BIG time in camp. I know he got a late start and he's a bit banged up right now, but blegh. Guess you can't expect a rookie CB to come through right out of the gate.

Source on that? I haven't seen that.

H

HardRightEdge

I liked Hyde, he was dependable and a good football player. I think Rollins has a higher ceiling than he did by a lot. We'll see if he gets there.
Hyde was ripped pretty good by quicker slot receivers. He's doing now what he should be doing...playing safety.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hyde was ripped pretty good by quicker slot receivers. He's doing now what he should be doing...playing safety.
I am really surprised that Hyde ever played CB for us. I thought for sure from the moment he was drafted that he was going to play safety in this league. Shows how much I know, I thought the same thing about Darren Sharper only to see him play CB early in his career.:confused:

H

HardRightEdge

I am really surprised that Hyde ever played CB for us. I thought for sure from the moment he was drafted that he was going to play safety in this league. Shows how much I know, I thought the same thing about Darren Sharper only to see him play CB early in his career.:confused:
I've had Randall in this category from the get go.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had Randall in this category from the get go.
Once I saw Randall's ball skills and intuitiveness, I thought the same thing. It's been a while since we've had an instinctive ball hawking guy in the middle of the field.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone seen the blitz practice? Not sure who but I think it was Burnett that laid out one of the rookie RB Mays?:eek:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why TT pissed me off by going with rookies rather than getting a good FA. I am tired of watching our young CB's running around the secondary looking confused and getting burned.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCaffrey has been a reliable receiver for Hundley. Also put time and an off-season to hone his craft. If they (Hundley and McCaffrey) put it together during the game it, it should be a no brainer to keep McCaffrey over some of the others.
Excited to see these positional battles

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
McCaffrey has been a reliable receiver for Hundley. Also put time and an off-season to hone his craft. If they (Hundley and McCaffrey) put it together during the game it, it should be a no brainer to keep McCaffrey over some of the others.
Excited to see these positional battles

I remember reading something about McCaffrey being "fought over" by the 3 backup QB's and he had become their favorite target.

Found the article......

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...acks-compete-over-wr-max-mccaffrey/537148001/

“We’ve had a few incidents where they’ve cheated on us with Brett Hundley. Brett has been trying to steal both of our guys.” :laugh:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From California, I would like to thank all of you that see the camp and come here to let us know what is going on. Not much coverage here at all, so you all are our "eyes". Again, thanks. Can't wait for the games to begin. GPG!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We have had Hyde, Hayward, Shields, Randall, and Rollins all play well as rookies.

Wouldn't surprise me if King plays well this season also.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone was pretty high in king. Fans, front office, and talking heads. He has the ability, we just have to wait and see what it becomes. Would t surprise me at all to know they are testing him hard and often to see how he learns, how he holds up physically and mentally, and then mold him into a quality back. Struggles right now are ok.

Either way, he's not going to be what we need by taking it easy on him.

Members online

Latest posts