Trading Favre might be Good Deal ?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ON WISCONSIN : JS ONLINE : PACKER PLUS ONLINE : PACKER INSIDER : E-MAIL | PRINT THIS STORY

Trading Favre just might be a good deal
Posted: April 13, 2006
Frank Caliendo, the comedian from UW-Milwaukee who has made part of his living with a dead-on impression of John Madden, lampoons Mr. Boom! for whaling the obvious into submission:

If the Bills get into the end zone here . . . they're going to get . . . six points!

It's actually pretty funny, more so because Madden hates the routine. Imagine, then, the material Madden just handed the Waukesha guy with the opinion that Brett Favre might be traded:

And that's a touchdown pass from Favre to Laveranues Coles and Favre is going to do the Lambeau Leap with Coles here at Giants Stadium if Giants Stadium were Lambeau Field, which it could be because a football field is 100 yards.

If Brett Favre doesn't retire, he will return for his 16th season in the NFL. He will turn 37 in October.

It's not so much that Madden has again fulfilled his role as master of the obvious, although the Favre trade rumors have been out there for a while. But what Madden said actually made some sense, just as some of what Mark Chmura said about Favre was applicable. It's just that a lot of people were unwilling to accept Chmura as a credible spokesman in this case.

Likewise, about 85% of the respondents to this newspaper's online poll believe the announcer's opinion should be thrown under the Maddencruiser. Almost no one, especially around here where a packet of green Kool-Aid is included in each Cheesehead purchase, is conditioned to believe that: A.) The Packers would have the nerve to trade No. 4 and B.) Favre would be willing to play for any team except the Packers.

But as Madden / Caliendo might say while wildly flapping his arms, Hey, wait a minute!

Joe Montana, who won three more Super Bowls than Favre, was traded. So were, if you're inclined to take it local, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Ray Allen and Hank Aaron, who somehow didn't look quite right in that polyester Brewers uniform. But as a general manager who was involved in some of the biggest blockbusters of his sport once told me, "No one is untouchable. No one."

Especially when you consider Favre's circumstances. The more you read into Favre's comments, the more it seems as if he still wants to play, just not for a bad team like the Packers. And by dragging this thing out, it appears as if he wants the Packers to make the decision for him.

Actually, they might do the guy a favor by moving him. Montana led Kansas City to the AFC Championship Game in 1993 at age 37 before retiring the next year. Favre will not get the 2006 Packers anywhere close to a championship at age 37. Maybe he could elsewhere, and the demand would exist because only about 10 NFL teams do not need quarterbacks. A combination of draft picks and / or young players that the Packers might get in return, it could be argued, would be more beneficial in the long run than having Favre around for one more year.

Then again, Favre's $10 million salary and the fact that Aaron Rodgers is no Steve Young could be trade inhibitors. And would Ted Thompson want to be known as the man who traded Brett Favre? If he wanted to begin the rebuilding process now instead of delaying it a year, why not?

And as Madden opined to NFL TV, "I don't know if it has to be Green Bay" this season for Favre.

It's fine to laugh at Caliendo's spoof of Madden, who sometimes gets carried away. But on this, Madden just might have a point.

Send e-mail to [email protected]

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it MIGHT happen.....but Favre sounded pretty much like it was Green Bay or nothing at his "press conference."

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this article has some flaws.

FAVRE HAS REITERATED TIME, AND TIME AGAIN THAT HE WILL NEVER GO OUT ANYWHERE ELSE.

That was the first flaw. Now, considering that leaves this article with what, a few useless sentences of speculation makes it all obsolete. Just last week Favre said if he were being talked about being traded he would retire. He wants to go out with Green Bay, and thats what he's going to do. I realize he is John Maddens 'man-crush' but c-mon MADDEN!

It's Green Bay or retire for Brett.

PERIOD

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i havent seen one thing with Brett denying that he wants to be traded.

I think that it is unfortunatly very possible

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i havent seen one thing with Brett denying that he wants to be traded.

I think that it is unfortunatly very possible

you're kidding, right? :-? he has said time & time again that he will NOT play for any other team. i really don't know WHY this topic continuously comes up for discussion but unless brett is a bold faced liar, he will not now, not EVER, play for another team.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he said he'd never play for someone else, but that was under the assumption that the Packers would never trade him...meaning he would not seek a trade, retire and return to a new team, or leave via FA. Now if the decision were made for him...???

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
he said he'd never play for someone else, but that was under the assumption that the Packers would never trade him...meaning he would not seek a trade, retire and return to a new team, or leave via FA. Now if the decision were made for him...???
...TT would be strung up by his you know whats & run out of green bay!!!!!

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
musccy said:
...TT would be strung up by his you know whats & run out of green bay!!!!!

There would certainly be a good old fashioned lynching...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett Favre were to jump ship, for this reason, after 15 years with the Pack, he would make the all time, 'it's all about me" team.

That, IMO, is not even what this guy is all about, nor, should a scenario like this be attached to him.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
If Brett Favre were to jump ship, for this reason, after 15 years with the Pack, he would make the all time, 'it's all about me" team.

That, IMO, is not even what this guy is all about, nor, should a scenario like this be attached to him.

i dont know about this. If he left, you know its about winning another championship and being the ultimate competitor. Its definetly not about money. He just wants to win. The only thing that could be stated about him if he was traded on his terms would be, He wasnt loyal. But for god sakes he played 15 years for us thats pretty loyal.

Im not trying to start anything so dont get all crazied up on me. I really really really really really really dont want this to happen AT ALL, and i really dont think it will happen AT ALL.

But I just am not sure if this really would be ok with Favre. You know he wants to win.... all that said, TT would be strung up, Favres approval rating would drop and it would be horrible on all accounts. And logistically, like posted in another topic, would be hard to do. Not many SB contenders are out looking for QBs, so why would he want to leave.

Well i just wasted 3 minutes talking about something that is so hypothetical its more likely a magic unicorn will give me a ride to lambeau every sunday.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it will never Happen, Brett is an old style gentlemen..

Maybe if he were a little bit like TT he wont mind turning into a football mercenary and go somewhere else... but thank God he is not !!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is a football mercenary?! ok. packnic, let's assume that you are not a rodeo clown. you have stated over and over that you would never be a rodeo clown. if someone said that they thought you might consider being a rodeo clown, would you feel the need to publicly declare that you aren't?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
When Brett is asked the question of playing for another team he almost sounds annoyed with the question and always responds with a 'wtf are you stupid how many times do i have to say i wont play for anyone other than gb' attitude.

If Brett plays somewhere else so be it as long as the Packers come out AHEAD of the whole deal. I don't know a situation that would put the Packers ahead enough to validate the trading of Brett.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chamuko called ted a football mercenary. but after that statement, i was referring to you implying that favre's not denying the trade rumors meant that they were a possibility.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it won't happen but if Favre is just going to play for a year then it wouldn't be a stupid move "football" wise. With that said trading Favre is something you do not do if your running the GB Packers.

PurpleViking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cannot see Brett going anywhere else. It like when Namath ended his career with the Rams or Montana in KC. Just didn't look right

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Brett is asked the question of playing for another team he almost sounds annoyed with the question and always responds with a 'wtf are you stupid how many times do i have to say i wont play for anyone other than gb' attitude.

You are right Z2C, that's why I found Madden's comments so interesting, but I would say "almost always responds that way" !!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PurpleViking said:
Cannot see Brett going anywhere else. It like when Namath ended his career with the Rams or Montana in KC. Just didn't look right

It would be like the pope announcing, on his death bed, that he was converting Islam.

Members online

Latest posts