Trade Theory

D

Deleted member 6794

It seemed like when the Packers drafted in the last few years, the top receivers were gone. Even so, IMO the current situation with the WR group could have been avoided - either through the draft or FA with better personnel decisions the last few years. It seemed like the assumption was Rodgers would fix everything. Even the year MVS was selected all the WRs taken were in later rounds. All day 3 I think. I might be wrong. It may not have been possible. Even so.......

After selecting Adams in the second round of the 2014 draft the Packers didn't spend another pick earlier than #85 on a wide receiver until selecting Watson this year. That has definitely contributed to a lack of talent at the position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Higgins was selected with the first pick of the second round back in 2020. Therefore he's not on the list.

In the alternative reality where the Packers select Higgins, he would have been a first round pick though (or Pittman if they had gone that route).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After selecting Adams in the second round of the 2014 draft the Packers didn't spend another pick earlier than #85 on a wide receiver until selecting Watson this year. That has definitely contributed to a lack of talent at the position.
Who did they take at #85? Year? I'm trying to figure it out. Was it Ty Montgomery?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari Rodgers
Thanks, I should have known. Sure hope he has a better second year. He's talented and in shape. He has to convince himself he belongs. He does belong, but he needs to believe that. He took the off season seriously so that's a good sign.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Higgins was the first pick of round 2, so the packers would have had to take him before then, which would have made him a round 1 pick.
That makes sense. I wonder if Gluten would have picked him had he not become convinced he needed a QB. I think the Packers had the 26th pick before trading up so it would not have been a huge reach. We'll never know. It would be nice to have Tiggins this year. all decisions have consequences, some good, some not so good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes sense. I wonder if Gluten would have picked him had he not become convinced he needed a QB. I think the Packers had the 26th pick before trading up so it would not have been a huge reach. We'll never know. It would be nice to have Tiggins this year. all decisions have consequences, some good, some not so good.

I still don't think Gute saw that draft as having to come away with a QB. He did however clearly see a prospect that was a QB plummet (in his opinion and probably staffers) lower than they felt he had business doing and saw the value (whether right or wrong).

I've never in any of Gute's picks over his limited number of drafts felt he picked someone cornered on need.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think Gute saw that draft as having to come away with a QB. He did however clearly see a prospect that was a QB plummet (in his opinion and probably staffers) lower than they felt he had business doing and saw the value (whether right or wrong).

I've never in any of Gute's picks over his limited number of drafts felt he picked someone cornered on need.
I think the last draft proves your point. He could have reached for Watson at #26 but stuck with defense. He still got him but clearly there was a bigger need at WR than D this year. It certainly looks like he took the BPA. And trading up for Watson wasn't a huge stretch in round 2. The only problem with that trade up is that it involved the Vikings. So be it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the team that cut all their 3rd round picks from just last season?
I don't know. I was commenting on the Vikings. How many third round picks did they have last season? Must have been at least two. If the players weren't producing then they did the right thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

That makes sense. I wonder if Gluten would have picked him had he not become convinced he needed a QB. I think the Packers had the 26th pick before trading up so it would not have been a huge reach.

The Packers originally had the 30th pick in the 2020 draft but traded up to the 26th spot by using their fourth rounder (136th overall).

I think the last draft proves your point. He could have reached for Watson at #26 but stuck with defense. He still got him but clearly there was a bigger need at WR than D this year. It certainly looks like he took the BPA. And trading up for Watson wasn't a huge stretch in round 2. The only problem with that trade up is that it involved the Vikings. So be it.

I vehemently disagree with that take. Trading both second rounders to move up to select Watson works as evidence for the opposite. In addition position of need factors into most decisions on draft day.

I don't know. I was commenting on the Vikings. How many third round picks did they have last season? Must have been at least two. If the players weren't producing then they did the right thing.

The Vikings had four third round picks in last year's draft. It's not true that they have released all of them as Patrick Jones II is still on their roster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers originally had the 30th pick in the 2020 draft but traded up to the 26th spot by using their fourth rounder (136th overall).

I vehemently disagree with that take. Trading both second rounders to move up to select Watson works as evidence for the opposite. In addition position of need factors into most decisions on draft day.

The Vikings had four third round picks in last year's draft. It's not true that they have released all of them as Patrick Jones II is still on their roster.
Trading two second rounders to get Watson wasn't a huge stretch. I think using Jimmy Johnson's system the trade was worth a very late first rounder. They took Watson very early in round two. And whether it was need, or BPA, Gluten made the right picks in rounds 1 and 2.

Overall though I do agree that most GMs say they take the BPA, and then draft for need. But usually the players involved are all close together, so it's hard to prove or disprove. An example might be the years the Packers tried and tried in the first and second rounds to find a CB. There had to be a WR close in talent. They never took the WR, never found their CB either (well, until Gluten drafted Alexander). The need for a CB was greater than the need for a WR. I'm ok with that, but then use a first rounder on a corner and a second rounder on a WR. Didn't happen and this year is gonna be rough because of it.

Reaction score
Trading two second rounders to get Watson wasn't a huge stretch. I think using Jimmy Johnson's system the trade was worth a very late first rounder. They took Watson very early in round two. And whether it was need, or BPA, Gluten made the right picks in rounds 1 and 2.

Overall though I do agree that most GMs say they take the BPA, and then draft for need. But usually the players involved are all close together, so it's hard to prove or disprove. An example might be the years the Packers tried and tried in the first and second rounds to find a CB. There had to be a WR close in talent. They never took the WR, never found their CB either (well, until Gluten drafted Alexander). The need for a CB was greater than the need for a WR. I'm ok with that, but then use a first rounder on a corner and a second rounder on a WR. Didn't happen and this year is gonna be rough because of it.
Yes. I know we trade 2 players for 1 there in Watson, but I think he's probably a great long-term investment, high ceiling guy. I think we hit the jackpot with Romeo Doubs. His speed in pads is the same as his speed out of pads, some guys just do that and I'm not sure what the recipe is there but it's very evident his 4.51 speed translated like a 4.41 guy would've. Had he ran a 4.41? He would've been drafted top #50-#75 overall. It's like we got an early Round 2 and Late Round 2 WR this draft

D

Deleted member 6794

Overall though I do agree that most GMs say they take the BPA, and then draft for need.

I didn't suggest trading up for Watson was a huge reach but Gutekunst made the move because he wanted to desperately address a position of need. It's way too early to make any evaluation about this year's draft class before they have even played a single snap.

As a side note, I prefer a general manager to draft players presenting the best value, with position of need factoring into the decision.

Members online

Latest posts