Reaction score
I also view him as a non-asset due to the brilliance of Aaron Jones.

We got four years of snaps, carries, and hits out of Dillon.
I repeat...Dillon has had four seasons to assume control of the RB1 role, he hasn't...
AJ has only been here 2020-2022 His 2020 season he was used sparsely as #33 was on a tear, putting up 1,456 all-purpose 11 TD’s.

As far as being a “non asset”? I’m not sure about that label. Dillon has been a regular contributor and his loss would adversely affect our RB Room. While he’s replaceable to an extent, he’s definitely been a significant asset even with Jones taking the lead role. Admittedly he’s not fulfilled his potential though. We’d likely need a RB by Round 4-5 at latest if he departs, which is fine if it’s to upgrade WR.

I still believe if we got a significant upgrade on the Right OL and then pulled the weakest link? We could have TWO 1,000 yard Rushers and teetering around 5.0 per rush without too much effort. I’m actually surprised that our FO/OC hasn’t exploited this obvious area of strength. It was clearly underutilized when you consider we struggled at Passing and we have Two very capable RB’s

Last edited:
OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as being a “non asset”? I’m not sure about that label. Dillon has been a regular contributor and his loss would adversely affect our RB Room. While he’s replaceable to an extent, he’s definitely been a significant asset even with Jones taking the lead role. Admittedly he’s not fulfilled his potential though. We’d likely need a RB by Round 4-5 at latest if he departs, which is fine if it’s to upgrade WR.

I still believe if we got a significant upgrade on the Right OL and then pulled the weakest link? We could have TWO 1,000 yard Rushers and teetering around 5.0 per rush without too much effort. I’m actually surprised that our FO/OC hasn’t exploited this obvious area of strength. It was clearly underutilized when you consider we struggled at Passing and we have Two very capable RB’s

Ok.

Dillon is entering season 4.

Got it.

However, while providing nice production and flashes of brillance, I would rather get something for him before he leaves in free agency in 2024.

I would rather pay a 25 yo WR1 to a big contract than a 25 yo RB2 (Packers depth chart) with the potential of being a RB1.

Reaction score
Ok.

Dillon is entering season 4.

Got it.

However, while providing nice production and flashes of brillance, I would rather get something for him before he leaves in free agency in 2024.

I would rather pay a 25 yo WR1 to a big contract than a 25 yo RB2 (Packers depth chart) with the potential of being a RB1.
True. Pretty good RB’s can be had in the draft. You can often get a really good one with that #75-#175 area overall selection, which is our 3-5th rounds.
I don’t like drafting guys in Day1-Day2 to be career backups. If you want a fill in guy use your Day 3 for that.

I’d rather get more seasoned players in that Rd1-Rd3 area, even if it involves a slight trade up 10 spots or so.

Dillon is here now and primed. We need slightly better Run block upfront, this OL seems very average and somewhat disjointed. A better OL would pay huge dividends in our Run game and I feel we’ve underutilized our RB group some instead of providing them with a premier group.
That OL should be the strength of the Offense when we have a soon to be 40yr old HOF QB behind it, making league high $.
Quit playing around and draft an upgrade and let’s pull the weakest link. Then let these other incumbents fight over the final spot. I’m beginning to wonder if Josh wouldn’t be better suited at RG and Tom at Center. Then go draft a Stud at RT

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

So if indeed you view Dillon as a backup RB, then why keep him? He won't get the contract he wants and I don't think he wants to finish his career as RB2.

The Packers need a backup running back as well. They won't get a starting wide receiver in a trade for one though.

I never stated that the Bills would save cap space...never said that!!!

The Bills saving a significant amount of cap space would be the only reason for it to make sense for them to trade Davis.

Finally, would Green Bay allow Dillon to leave in free agency for nothing?!!!

The Packers could get a compensatory pick if Dillon leaves in free agency. The same is true for the Bills with Davis.

I'm fine with getting the rookie, as long as Green Bay also gets a ready made TE1.

I think Mayer would be able to contribute immediately. There wouldn't be any reason to add a veteran.

I will also offer that while Dillon is not Aaron Jones, he could be a RB1 on nearly half of the teams NFL rosters and yes, he’d do fine.

I don't think that's true by any means.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need a backup running back as well. They won't get a starting wide receiver in a trade for one though.

A backup RB can be found anywhere in the draft. I disagree with GB won't get a WR1 in a trade. Its a possibility. One that shouldn't be dismissed.

The Bills saving a significant amount of cap space would be the only reason for it to make sense for them to trade Davis.

There are many reasons a trade happens. It's not always just about the cap space. Team fit, scheme fit, etc.

The Packers could get a compensatory pick if Dillon leaves in free agency. The same is true for the Bills with Davis.

The compensatory pick would be no higher than 3rd round pick for 2nd round pick AJ Dillon. That's a sunk cost in my opinion. Compared to his draft position, it hasn't been a worthy investment. I think a trade for another player offers immediate production over a draftee via a compensatory pick.

I think Mayer would be able to contribute immediately. There wouldn't be any reason to add a veteran.

I disagree.

IMO, I think Mike Gesicki would be a great fit in Green Bay.

Similar to ILB, sign Gesicki (a la De'Vondre Campbell) for the present and draft Mayer (a la Quay Walker) for the future.

Drafting is similar to betting.

Would you place all your money and resources for TE on a rookie?

Hedge your bet, draft the kid (if available) and go grab a veteran.

D

Deleted member 6794

A backup RB can be found anywhere in the draft. I disagree with GB won't get a WR1 in a trade. Its a possibility. One that shouldn't be dismissed.

If you truly believe that a backup running back can be found anywhere in the draft (and I actually agree with that) why on earth would another team trade a starting wide receiver for one???

There are many reasons a trade happens. It's not always just about the cap space. Team fit, scheme fit, etc.

True, but Gabriel Davis is a fit in Buffalo while you have no idea what the Bills think about Dillon.

The compensatory pick would be no higher than 3rd round pick for 2nd round pick AJ Dillon. That's a sunk cost in my opinion. Compared to his draft position, it hasn't been a worthy investment. I think a trade for another player offers immediate production over a draftee via a compensatory pick.

I would love for the Packers to trade Dillon for a starting receiver but I don't consider it to be realistic. They won't get a third round compensatory pick for him if he leaves in free agency next year either.

IMO, I think Mike Gesicki would be a great fit in Green Bay.

Similar to ILB, sign Gesicki (a la De'Vondre Campbell) for the present and draft Mayer (a la Quay Walker) for the future.

Drafting is similar to betting.

Would you place all your money and resources for TE on a rookie?

Hedge your bet, draft the kid (if available) and go grab a veteran.

I would love to add a veteran tight end to a first round pick as well but the Packers don't have enough cap space to pull that off.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you truly believe that a backup running back can be found anywhere in the draft (and I actually agree with that) why on earth would another team trade a starting wide receiver for one???

Because different teams value players differently.

Would you have given up 3 1st round picks (49ers) for Trey Lance?

Would you have traded for Deshaun Watson if youowned the Browns?

True, but Gabriel Davis is a fit in Buffalo while you have no idea what the Bills think about Dillon.

Idk what the Bills think of Dillon.

Also, I agree Davis is just find in Buffalo.

It's just an idea, a suggestion that turned into a post, and its something I personally would like to see...Gabe Davis in green and gold.

I would love for the Packers to trade Dillon for a starting receiver but I don't consider it to be realistic. They won't get a third round compensatory pick for him if he leaves in free agency next year either.

Aaron Rodgers getting traded may not be realistic either, but it remains a possibility

I agree GB won't get a 3rd round compensatory pick, I never said they would.

AJ Dillon was a 2nd round pick and based on production and draft status, I (imo) kind of feel it was a wasted pick.

I would love to add a veteran tight end to a first round pick as well but the Packers don't have enough cap space to pull that off.

I think anything can happen with contracts, whether through cuts or restructures.

If Aaron Rodgers isn't on the roster come next season, then why wouldn't this scenario (signing a veteran TE and drafting a rookie TE) be a viable option.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because different teams value players differently.

Would you have given up 3 1st round picks (49ers) for Trey Lance?

Would you have traded for Deshaun Watson if youowned the Browns?

While I wouldn't have liked the Packers giving up that much to draft Lance or to trade for Watson those are completely different situations as we're talking about potential franchise quarterbacks and not a backup running back.

It's just an idea, a suggestion that turned into a post, and its something I personally would like to see...Gabe Davis in green and gold.

Don't get me wrong, I would like the Packers to acquire Davis for Dillon as well. It seems completely unrealistic in my opinion though.

AJ Dillon was a 2nd round pick and based on production and draft status, I (imo) kind of feel it was a wasted pick.

I never liked the Packers spending a second rounder on a backup running back in the first place.

If Aaron Rodgers isn't on the roster come next season, then why wouldn't this scenario (signing a veteran TE and drafting a rookie TE) be a viable option.

The Packers trading Rodgers wouldn't result in as much cap space saved as a lot of fans seem to believe. It's possible it even adds an additional cap hit for next season.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wouldn't have liked the Packers giving up that much to draft Lance or to trade for Watson those are completely different situations as we're talking about potential franchise quarterbacks and not a backup running back.

True. My point is that different teams value players differently. I think AJ Dillon is a player that GB shouldn't overvalue.

Don't get me wrong, I would like the Packers to acquire Davis for Dillon as well. It seems completely unrealistic in my opinion though.

I think it can be possible. We can agree to disagree.

I never liked the Packers spending a second rounder on a backup running back in the first place.

Me too...

The Packers trading Rodgers wouldn't result in as much cap space saved as a lot of fans seem to believe. It's possible it even adds an additional cap hit for next season.

With the cap rising over 16M for next season, I think GB can field a contender if Gute makes the right moves.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the cap rising over 16M for next season, I think GB can field a contender if Gute makes the right moves.

The Packers would currently enter the new league year $17 million over the cap. I agree Gutekunst could make enough moves to field a contender but he needs to hit on some of them for it to happen. If they move on from Rodgers I highly doubt they will come anywhere close to making the playoffs though.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would currently enter the new league year $17 million over the cap. I agree Gutekunst could make enough moves to field a contender but he needs to hit on some of them for it to happen. If they move on from Rodgers I highly doubt they will come anywhere close to making the playoffs though.

I think Gute absolutely needs to make moves and absolutely hit on them all whether reloading for AR12 or rebuilding with Love.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is fine, can't field a contender each year as we have been. Sometimes you gotta stock the shelves to make a run.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Gute absolutely needs to make moves and absolutely hit on them all whether reloading for AR12 or rebuilding with Love.

True, but if the Packers move forward with Love as their starting quarterback Gutekunst will have some more time for his moves to work out.

Which is fine, can't field a contender each year as we have been. Sometimes you gotta stock the shelves to make a run.

Agreed, but if the Packers don't feel comfortable about being able to field a contender with Rodgers next season they need to move on from him.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but if the Packers move forward with Love as their starting quarterback Gutekunst will have some more time for his moves to work out.

Idk about that Cap.

If Rodgers is moved or even retires, the only way to have more time is if Love is open to an extension.

I can name so many reasons why this isn't good business for both Love and Green Bay.

If Love is the starting QB for 2023, then GB gets 1yr of true evaluation.

I can quarantee the narrative will overlook his strengths and scrutinize his flaws.

D

Deleted member 6794

Idk about that Cap.

If Rodgers is moved or even retires, the only way to have more time is if Love is open to an extension.

I can name so many reasons why this isn't good business for both Love and Green Bay.

If Love is the starting QB for 2023, then GB gets 1yr of true evaluation.

I can quarantee the narrative will overlook his strengths and scrutinize his flaws.

The Packers should definitely exercise the fifth year option on Love if they move on from Rodgers to have him under contract for two seasons.

My point was that Gutekunst would most likely get several seasons to rebuild the team if Rodgers isn't around next season while it would be Super Bowl or bust if #12 is back in 2023.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should definitely exercise the fifth year option on Love if they move on from Rodgers to have him under contract for two seasons.

My point was that Gutekunst would most likely get several seasons to rebuild the team if Rodgers isn't around next season while it would be Super Bowl or bust if #12 is back in 2023.

I gotta push back Cap.

I would argue it might be time to move on from Gute if AR12 doesn't return.

Gute inherited a roster with a HOF QB, nice offensive weapons, and promising defensive talent.

Roughly five years later, we're looking at a rebuild.

Can we reasonably have confidence in Gute building a champion?

He couldn't with a contender already in place.

I really don't think people understand the ramifications of drafting Love, the consequences, and nearsightness of the move.

Is it the Gutenkist's Packers or Green Bay Packers?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I gotta push back Cap.

I would argue it might be time to move on from Gute if AR12 doesn't return.

Gute inherited a roster with a HOF QB, nice offensive weapons, and promising defensive talent.

Roughly five years later, we're looking at a rebuild.

Can we reasonably have confidence in Gute building a champion?

He couldn't with a contender already in place.

I really don't think people understand the ramifications of drafting Love, the consequences, and nearsightness of the move.

Is it the Gutenkist's Packers or Green Bay Packers?

While it's disappointing the Packers didn't end up winning a Super Bowl since Gutekunst has taken over they have been very successful winning 13 games three times in a row. In addition it was to be expected that they will need to rebuild once Rodgers isn't around anymore. Therefore I don't see any need to move on from the general manager at this point.

With that being said, he will be mainly evaluated on how drafting Love will work out. If he doesn't become at least a decent starter I might get on board with relieving Gutekunst of his duties.

Members online

Latest posts