Top needs going into the off season

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt find this thread so I was wondering what people thought the top 3-5 needs were for this team going into the off-season.

1. TE who can stretch the field. Rodgers is a possession TE and nothing more. With Jordy and Montgomery coming back if you add a TE who can stretch the field this offense will be great again.

2. An inside linebacker who can cover. I actually really like Ryan against the run. I think he is going to keep developing really well. If we can get another ILB (Barrington doesnt seem to be good in coverage) then Clay can go back to OLB. That would fill two holes at once on defense. If we dont get a new ILB we then need to figure out what to do with Neal and Perry in free agency.

3. Resign Raji and add a few reinforcements on the dline. I like a group with Daniels, Raji, Pennel, Jones, and Guion.

4. Get a back up tackle. Tretter filled in well but he is our top back up at 3 spots...maybe 5. Need depth on the oline.

5. Get a new punter

Overall this roster is not far from being really good. The secondary is going to be very tough next year. Our offense is getting back a top 10 wr in the league.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondary is definitely pretty set with or without Hayward next year.

I definitely agree with a field stretching TE and ILB at the top of the list.

Wide receiver is probably not as big of a need as we made it out to be a few weeks ago, if even at all. With Jordy and Montgomery returning, we've still got Cobb and going to have Abbrederis, Janis, and Adams battling it out, and who knows, maybe even James Jones back for a small price tag.

Possibly a lineman to compete with Bahk and Tretter.

OLB could end up being a big need as Neal, Perry and Peppers are all uncertain to return. I hope we do see Peppers back for the last year of his deal.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NEEDS FOR PACKERS 2016 OFFSEASON:

-Pass catching RB/KR
-Athletic TE
-Blocking TE
-Versatile O-Lineman (Any 5 spots)
-Big WR (True #1)
-Pass Rushers (DE or OLB)
-MLB (Matthews splits OLB/DE)
-Run Stuffing DL (ala Wilfork)
-Hybrid DB/LB (i.e. Deone Buccannon)
-Punter
-OLine Coach
-Receivers Coach
-Linebackers Coach

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Pass catching RB/KR
-Athletic TE
-Blocking TE
-Big WR (True #1)
-Punter
-OLine Coach
-Receivers Coach
-Linebackers Coach
ouch

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Pass catching RB/KR
-Athletic TE
-Blocking TE
-Big WR (True #1)
-Punter
-OLine Coach
-Receivers Coach
-Linebackers Coach

I don't know enough about coaches to comment on that part. Thoughts on the other parts

Good thing we get a true number 1 with jordy coming back. Don't see the need there

If we get a mlb I don't see a glaring need at pass rush. Matthews, Daniels, Jones and Peppers should be able to generate a good amount of pressure

I guess in don't completely see the need for a hybrid unless one falls into our lap. Get a mlb who can cover backs and we are in great shape

Running stuffing dl would be nice.

Obviously I agree about the athletic pass catching te and new punter.

And I agree with another ol in the draft. Keep the starting 5 with tretter taylor and a quality swing tackle and that is some good depth.

Not sure about the need for a kr. Montgomery looked great back there and Janis is solid. If starks good a rb who good hands would be important

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.- A 3 Down ILB. By far and away the biggest need IMO. I like Ryan and Barrington but they are not 3 down players. Need to find a guy so Clay can go back to OLB.
2.-A Finley type TE (if he can block and added bonus but not required IMO) who can stretch the field and open up the middle of the D.
3. - A pass catching, scat back type RB (a la Darren Sproles) and if he can return kicks and punts perfect.
4.- Someone, anyone who can play the O-Line so Barclay can be cut and never see playing time for the Green Bay Packers again.
5.- D-Line depth, always a need. You can never have too many big bodies who can stuff a hole (giggity). Resign Raji and Guion as well.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.- A 3 Down ILB. By far and away the biggest need IMO. I like Ryan and Barrington but they are not 3 down players. Need to find a guy so Clay can go back to OLB.
2.-A Finley type TE (if he can block and added bonus but not required IMO) who can stretch the field and open up the middle of the D.
3. - A pass catching, scat back type RB (a la Darren Sproles) and if he can return kicks and punts perfect.
4.- Someone, anyone who can play the O-Line so Barclay can be cut and never see playing time for the Green Bay Packers again.
5.- D-Line depth, always a need. You can never have too many big bodies who can stuff a hole (giggity). Resign Raji and Guion as well.

Pretty solid and while I agree for the most part the only two I'd list as "needs" are the 3 down ILB and a TE to stretch the middle.

I agree with the others but they fall into the "luxury" area for me. Obviously we want to improve our depth and options at all those spots but it's pretty easy to argue that for any other position as well.

So I'd go:

1- A 3 down ILB
2- A stretch the middle TE
3- depth, depth and more depth

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the others but they fall into the "luxury" area for me. Obviously we want to improve our depth and options at all those spots but it's pretty easy to argue that for any other position as well.

I would agree with this although I think a playmaking scat back type RB is a need more than it is a luxury. Need someone to add another element to the offense we haven't had in a while.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt find this thread so I was wondering what people thought the top 3-5 needs were for this team going into the off-season.

1. TE who can stretch the field. Rodgers is a possession TE and nothing more. With Jordy and Montgomery coming back if you add a TE who can stretch the field this offense will be great again.

2. An inside linebacker who can cover. I actually really like Ryan against the run. I think he is going to keep developing really well. If we can get another ILB (Barrington doesnt seem to be good in coverage) then Clay can go back to OLB. That would fill two holes at once on defense. If we dont get a new ILB we then need to figure out what to do with Neal and Perry in free agency.

3. Resign Raji and add a few reinforcements on the dline. I like a group with Daniels, Raji, Pennel, Jones, and Guion.

4. Get a back up tackle. Tretter filled in well but he is our top back up at 3 spots...maybe 5. Need depth on the oline.

5. Get a new punter

Overall this roster is not far from being really good. The secondary is going to be very tough next year. Our offense is getting back a top 10 wr in the league.

I could see them flipping Datone Jones outside and having him slim down. He looks natural playing outside and could be a bit of a Tony Brackens type for us.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with this although I think a playmaking scat back type RB is a need more than it is a luxury. Need someone to add another element to the offense we haven't had in a while.
I think an healthy Cobb and Montgomery on the team will provide more than enough dangerous receivers out of the backfield providing we don't lose a receiver every week for something or another again next year.

I think Linebackers are going to be a need, either inside or out depending on a few things this offseason and DLine could be too. I would love a stretch the field TE, but I think RR can still be a good TE. He's not they type everyone wants, but if we don't lose Jordy this year and montgomery I think RR doesn't have 4 guys withing 4 yards of where he's catching the ball. He'a a run to the sticks or goal line type guy and then catch the ball, and he's good at that. He made some good catches this season. The problem is, we saw way too many TE screens and short drag type routes and with every defender up close, he doesn't have the moves or the speed to to do anything with that. It doesn't mean he can't be a very important part of this offense though. So if one is there, I say we go get one, but a full compliment of receivers will help him be more effective at what he does too.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ilb
Tight end
Oline depth/upgrades.
To me, unless someone falls to is too good to pass on, the draft should be 2 ilb, 1 tight end upgrade, everything else on line depth.

D

Deleted member 6794

ILB, TE, backup offensive tackles and depending on what happens in free agency the defensive line could be in need of an upgrade as well.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know enough about coaches to comment on that part. Thoughts on the other parts

Good thing we get a true number 1 with jordy coming back. Don't see the need there

If we get a mlb I don't see a glaring need at pass rush. Matthews, Daniels, Jones and Peppers should be able to generate a good amount of pressure

I guess in don't completely see the need for a hybrid unless one falls into our lap. Get a mlb who can cover backs and we are in great shape

And I agree with another ol in the draft. Keep the starting 5 with tretter taylor and a quality swing tackle and that is some good depth.

Not sure about the need for a kr. Montgomery looked great back there and Janis is solid. If starks good a rb who good hands would be important

Another big play WR too stretch the field. #1 or #2...doesn't matter. You can never have too many quality players. Injuries are inevitable. I would rather have too many good players than not enough. In all respects to Nelson. Pack shouldn't go all in on a 30+ receiver coming off missing an entire season due to ACL. Stockpile assets (quality players) and leverage them to improve the team overall (ie trades or compensatory draft picks.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB, TE, backup offensive tackles and depending on what happens in free agency the defensive line could be in need of an upgrade as well.

And I wouldn't put it past us drafting another WR early either. I honestly think Adams roster spot is in jeopardy.

I'm wondering if TT and company will play a wait-and-see game at ILB. We have Barrington coming back and I am curious if they perhaps see our two ILB's being Barrington and Ryan next year while moving Clay back outside.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think drafting based solely on needs is a proper strategy. Keep drafting quality players and create a well rounded roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

And I wouldn't put it past us drafting another WR early either. I honestly think Adams roster spot is in jeopardy.

I'm wondering if TT and company will play a wait-and-see game at ILB. We have Barrington coming back and I am curious if they perhaps see our two ILB's being Barrington and Ryan next year while moving Clay back outside.

I agree about drafting another WR early as well although I don´t think Adams is in danger of losing his roster spot. Thompson has taken a wait-and-see approach to address the inside linebacker position for way too long, I hope he finally improves the position adequately.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PUNTER is also a need. A punter would do wonders for our team shockingly. I'm tired of Tim's 30 yard punts. We need someone who can boom punts 50+ yards.

Punter + Left Tackle are the two positions I hope we look toward FA at.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. ILB someone with some speed. Haven't had a good cover LB in a long time.
2. NFL caliber punter
3. TE that can stretch the field.
4. Anyone at all that isn't horrible at returning punts. Don't care who. Hyde fair catches it on 5, lets it roll from the 30 down to the five. Horrible decision making.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone at all that isn't horrible at returning punts. Don't care who. Hyde fair catches it on 5, lets it roll from the 30 down to the five. Horrible decision making.

Agreed, entering this season I was absolutely fine with Hyde returning punts but he regressed dramatically and the Packers need someone else to do the job.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think drafting based solely on needs is a proper strategy. Keep drafting quality players and create a well rounded roster.

I disagree, at some point you have to address needs instead of simply drafting quality players. Of course you want to fill needs with quality players but drafting a WR in the 1st Rd (just using this as an example) because he's a quality player isn't doing this team any favors this upcoming off season IMO. Now, if TT plans to utilize free agency to fill some of those needs then I agree with this but I don't see that happening so the draft is all we have. Need to fill holes, and it seems most of us are in complete agreement as to what those holes are.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree, at some point you have to address needs instead of simply drafting quality players. Of course you want to fill needs with quality players but drafting a WR in the 1st Rd (just using this as an example) because he's a quality player isn't doing this team any favors this upcoming off season IMO. Now, if TT plans to utilize free agency to fill some of those needs then I agree with this but I don't see that happening so the draft is all we have. Need to fill holes, and it seems most of us are in complete agreement as to what those holes are.

Disagree. The draft is NOT the only course of action. Choosing NOT to sign free agents and being Unable to are two different things. Packers have themoney to spend. I am quite sure veterans would be enticed with a short term deal for a run at the SB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Ryan is already outplaying anything I saw Barrington do and they're very similar in style. I think we need a compliment in there with him, not a lesser player with the same qualities.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we need a LT, ILB, Punter, DT and a TE. Assuming we don't address these needs in FA, here are some players from College I really really like and a lot of these players are realistic in terms of us getting them. Keep in mind, i'm not big on Reggie Ragland from Alabama in our defense. He is a big downhill thumper that will struggle in pass coverage in the NFL. He reminds me of Brandon Spikes.

ILB
Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame
Kentrell Brothers, Mizzou
Antonio Morrison, Florida
Cassanova McKinzy, Auburn

TE
Hunter Henry, Arky
OJ Howard, Alabama (assuming he comes out)
Nick Vannett, Ohio State

LT
Vadal Alexander, LSU
Jack Conklin, Michigan State
Taylor Decker, Ohio State
Spencer Drago, Baylor

Punter
Jamie Keehn, LSU
Riley Dixon, Syracuse
Drew Kaser, Texas A&M

DT/DE
Andrew Billings, Baylor
Adolphus Washington, Ohio State
Jarran Reed, Alabama
Kenny Clark, UCLA
Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss
Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State

WR (because I think we'll draft one and could use explosiveness at punt returner)
Pharoh Cooper, South Carolina
Corey Coleman, Baylor
Jalin Marshall, Ohio State
Sterling Shepard, Oklahoma

RB (for fun, and also because I think there is a chance we draft one)
Alex Collins, Arky
Devontae Booker, Utah
Kenyan Drake, Alabama
Aaron Green, TCU

Last edited: