Top needs going into the off season

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. The draft is NOT the only course of action. Choosing NOT to sign free agents and being Unable to are two different things. Packers have themoney to spend. I am quite sure veterans would be enticed with a short term deal for a run at the SB.

Sure, but you can't assume TT is going to sign free agents because track record indicates he won't. Yes they have the money but this isn't the first off season they've had the money. I also said, if he chooses to use FA to fill needs then I agree with what you said, I'm not counting on it so the draft in that case would be the only course of action.

D

Deleted member 6794

The draft is NOT the only course of action. Choosing NOT to sign free agents and being Unable to are two different things. Packers have themoney to spend. I am quite sure veterans would be enticed with a short term deal for a run at the SB.

It´s true the draft shouldn´t be the only way to acquire talent but unfortunately Thompson ignores all other methods to do it.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For an OLB
Scooby Wright, Arizona (just looks like a Packer)
Shaq Lawson, Clemson
Jordan Jenkins, Georgia

However, my favorite player in this entire draft is Eric Striker from Oklahoma. He can play OLB, ILB and Safety. The dude is a playmaker and whoever drafts him will be getting a steal. I hope we draft him.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most folks are in agreement on our needs this time around. TE & ILB are our top tier needs and we should be able to upgrade both in first two rounds this year.

After Tretter showing he could handle duties at LT in a pinch, I'm not quite a worried about the back OT position. He is becoming a real value to this team and can fill lots of holes as needed. Still, adding another OT would be advisable.
OLB is another spot that will need, at a minimum, depth, if not upgrade real soon. A partner for CM3 would be great. Also, a deep threat WR added to the mix would make this offense absolutely scary. I know we would have to dump two out of Adams, Abby and Janis but hey, if it's a deep threat upgrade, I've got no problem with that. It may not be a pressing need for sure. And lastly a Punter. These are all 2nd tier needs although Punter is pushing the ceiling on that. Getting a good punter could be huge tactically. Right now it's a liability. We brought in an UDFA which wasn't up to grade, we are going to have to invest in one to get one we need.

After that, draft depth and potential and see if someone jumps out at you. Especially on the lines.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm officially on the "draft Eric Striker" bandwagon like I was with Paul Dawson last season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is who I hope we draft in the middle rounds! He'll be a steal!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

PUNTER is also a need. A punter would do wonders for our team shockingly. I'm tired of Tim's 30 yard punts. We need someone who can boom punts 50+ yards.

Punter + Left Tackle are the two positions I hope we look toward FA at.

I always believed a GOOD team shouldn`t need a punter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always believed a GOOD team shouldn`t need a punter.
Even the best teams benefit greatly from a good punter. Field position is a huge part of today's game, especially against good teams. one of the biggest mistakes Wolf said he ever committed in FA was when it came to his punter and he didn't value him enough and Hentrich walked. I wouldn't underestimate how much impact a great punter can have for a team.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Even the best teams benefit greatly from a good punter. Field position is a huge part of today's game, especially against good teams. one of the biggest mistakes Wolf said he ever committed in FA was when it came to his punter and he didn't value him enough and Hentrich walked. I wouldn't underestimate how much impact a great punter can have for a team.

You are of course 100% right, but my heart says it`s giving the ball away, where I`d prefer to march the ball down the field every time. Unrealistic of course but......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
We've been talking ILB for awhile now high on the priority list and I don't think that's changed. I understand TT doesn't like to use FA many years but I really think this year he needs to make an exception depending on what options we'll have via the draft vs. FA
Ideally we take care of 1-2 of our top 5 needs in FA (if the value is there and the situation presents itself as a good fit).
As far as position needs I think its obviously dependent on who we can or can't afford to keep at the negotiating table that are existing players. Our core unit is solid. However, This year these positions negatively impacted our performance and have to be priorities.
TE, OT, ILB, WR, O-line backups

Honorable mention:
P competition for Masthay
RB depth replacement for J Franklin

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've been talking ILB for awhile now high on the priority list and I don't think that's changed. I understand TT doesn't like to use FA many years but I really think this year he needs to make an exception depending on what options we'll have via the draft vs. FA
Ideally we take care of 1-2 of our top 5 needs in FA (if the value is there and the situation presents itself as a good fit).
As far as position needs I think its obviously dependent on who we can or can't afford to keep at the negotiating table that are existing players. Our core unit is solid. However, This year these positions negatively impacted our performance and have to be priorities.
TE, OT, ILB, WR, O-line backups

Honorable mention:
P competition for Masthay
RB depth replacement for J Franklin

There's a good crop of LB's both inside and out that are going to be available in free agency. I would say as of now it's easily the deepest position that's going to be available in free agency.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NEEDS FOR PACKERS 2016 OFFSEASON:

-Pass catching RB/KR
-Athletic TE
-Blocking TE
-Versatile O-Lineman (Any 5 spots)
-Big WR (True #1)
-Pass Rushers (DE or OLB)
-MLB (Matthews splits OLB/DE)
-Run Stuffing DL (ala Wilfork)
-Hybrid DB/LB (i.e. Deone Buccannon)
-Punter
-OLine Coach
-Receivers Coach
-Linebackers Coach

Damn that's a lot. Wonder what round we'll grab a linebackers coach.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone posted about needing a deep threat. In 2014 Nelson was 10th in the league in receptions over 20 yards. In fact cobb was 3rd. The year before Nelson was 4th. We have a great deep threat

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone posted about needing a deep threat. In 2014 Nelson was 10th in the league in receptions over 20 yards. In fact cobb was 3rd. We have deep threats

Might have been wondering about the 2016 Jordy. If he picks up where he left off, fine. Otherwise, Cobb does need a legit outside guy in order to do what he did in 2014.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might have been wondering about the 2016 Jordy. If he picks up where he left off, fine. Otherwise, Cobb does need a legit outside guy in order to do what he did in 2014.

I guess I don't fully understand the worry. Jordy is the exact type of guy who will rehab hard and while older he isn't ancient. Amazing route runner with very good speed. He will be fine. A te who can stretch the field will do the same for cobb

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is who I hope we draft in the middle rounds! He'll be a steal!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You know, I'm not on the Scooby band wagon at all. But I'm all about a tweener in this draft. This guy seems extremely small though. 6'0" 220 pounds. I'm not sure how that will translate. However, I really like the potential of the Su'a Cravens kid.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think any TE and ILB will have to come in rounds 1 and 2. Anything later will get us nothing but average again. The rest will have to come later. Wouldn't surprise me if we go heavy on the OL and DL this time. Thinking we will have 9 picks this year and definately want a punter in there as well. Perhaps someone like Schobert will be available in rounds 3 or 4 but I expect his stock will rise on the weeks to come.

Members online

Latest posts