Top needs going into the off season

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stockpile assets (quality players) and leverage them to improve the team overall (ie trades or compensatory draft picks.

We may have a good receiver corps coming back when totally healthy, but there's nothing that says we can't improve on them either.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crucial needs are a starting LT, OG, and TE. Lang and Bakh are not getting it done. On D a ILB that can read and react, and a Safety to replace Burnett. Buggybill will be our punter..;)

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crucial needs are a starting LT, OG, and TE. Lang and Bakh are not getting it done. On D a ILB that can read and react, and a Safety to replace Burnett. Buggybill will be our punter..;)

See, I don't get this. Is LT a need? Sure I guess but it isn't crucial at all IMO. Bahktiari is fine, Lang is fine. ILB is by far and away more crucial than LT. Don't need a safety either unless it's a depth guy.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft and Develop is a general approach, not an absolute. Also, Best Player Available is actually a myth. TT doesn't draft BPA, otherwise he would never trade but simply take the next guy on his Big Board. There's more to it than that. You look at whether the player up next fits the pick value or not, also, you look to see if he fits your system and, believe it or not, your need. Any of the these factors not matching can trigger a trade. Also, if you have a guy rated a 97 at a position you are doing well in for the long haul, you take the guy rated at 95 for the position you desperately need.

Also, the concept we don't get involved in FA is pretty much a myth as well. We just do it judiciously and not nearly as frequently as other teams but we are involved. TT just doesn't go stupid with the money just because the fans want him to. He has a lot more data that he has to account for, not just short term but long term as well. Could he tweak it a bit in my opinion, sure. But it's hard to argue the results of last Saturday, given we ended up without our top 4 receivers and still should have won the game.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lang? At the end of week 13 pff had him as the only starting guard to not give up a sack or hit all year. Not sure how he finished but that is impressive

Also don't see why burnett needs to be replaced. Some have said he and dix are too similar but this is the best safety play we have had in a long time.

I agree with your other positions but *** surprised by this

Cheez31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Robertson Daniel jump Gunter on the depth chart when Hayward leaves

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Draft and Develop:

First round take:
Darron Lee, LB
Shilique Calhoun, DE
Vandal Alexander, G
Hunters Henry, TE

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also don't see why burnett needs to be replaced. Some have said he and dix are too similar but this is the best safety play we have had in a long time.

Didn't PFF have Burnett ranked as their #3 overall safety towards the end of the year? No reason to move on from him whatsoever.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers immediate needs in no particular order:
  • Tight End: Richard Rodgers has great hands, but can't run or get separation
  • Inside Linebacker: Nate Palmer is awful; Sam Barrington was injured the entire year
  • Defensive Line: What do the Packers really have outside of Mike Daniels? Raji and Guion could leave GB
  • Outside Linebacker: Will Peppers be back? What happens to Mike Neal and Nick Perry?
The could upgrade at the following positions in no particular order:
  • Running Back: Does anybody know what Eddie Lacy is? James Starks turns 30 in a month
  • Offensive Tackle: A swing tackle is needed. Don Barclay is AWFUL so the line has no depth
  • Wide Receiver: A lot of names, but no #1 guy
Positions the Packers are set:
  • Cornerback
  • Safety
  • Quarterback
  • Guard
  • Center

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers immediate needs in no particular order:
  • Tight End: Richard Rodgers has great hands, but can't run or get separation
  • Inside Linebacker: Nate Palmer is awful; Sam Barrington was injured the entire year
  • Defensive Line: What do the Packers really have outside of Mike Daniels? Raji and Guion could leave GB
  • Outside Linebacker: Will Peppers be back? What happens to Mike Neal and Nick Perry?
The could upgrade at the following positions in no particular order:
  • Running Back: Does anybody know what Eddie Lacy is? James Starks turns 30 in a month
  • Offensive Tackle: A swing tackle is needed. Don Barclay is AWFUL so the line has no depth
  • Wide Receiver: A lot of names, but no #1 guy
Positions the Packers are set:
  • Cornerback
  • Safety
  • Quarterback
  • Guard
  • Center

Agree with everything you said except for the WR... No #1 guy? I think the absence of Jordy this year said a ton about who the #1 guy is. Spot on with everything else though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3. - A pass catching, scat back type RB (a la Darren Sproles) and if he can return kicks and punts perfect.

I'm posting this with advanced knowledge I'm going to get twenty replies from this website's "capologists", but I'm going to do it anyways:

Matt Forte is a free agent. He might be willing to sign a smaller, two-year deal to finally win a ring. His "want" to win a ring might work in Green Bay's favor. Guy is probably the best receiving running back in the league.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with everything you said except for the WR... No #1 guy? I think the absence of Jordy this year said a ton about who the #1 guy is. Spot on with everything else though.

I totally agree with you that Jordy is a #1 guy. I'm just weary of ACL injuries. Fingers crossed the surgery was done properly and rehab is going well. The Packers OBVIOUSLY need him on the field.

PS. Randal Cobb should give Jordy half of his new contract.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't fully understand the worry. Jordy is the exact type of guy who will rehab hard and while older he isn't ancient. Amazing route runner with very good speed. He will be fine. A te who can stretch the field will do the same for cobb

Perhaps you didn't realize who was posting? :) I'll believe Jordy is still Jordy when I see it.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="NelsonsLongCatch, post: 648384, member: 1407"PS. Randal Cobb should give Jordy half of his new contract.[/QUOTE]

THIS. I told a buddy earlier this season Jordy should hold out for $1 Billion per year

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="NelsonsLongCatch, post: 648384, member: 1407"PS. Randal Cobb should give Jordy half of his new contract.

THIS. I told a buddy earlier this season Jordy should hold out for $1 Billion per year[/QUOTE]

If I'm Nelson, I tell Mike Murphy, "I want Holmgrem Way to be renamed Nelson Drive"

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm posting this with advanced knowledge I'm going to get twenty replies from this website's "capologists", but I'm going to do it anyways:

Matt Forte is a free agent. He might be willing to sign a smaller, two-year deal to finally win a ring. His "want" to win a ring might work in Green Bay's favor. Guy is probably the best receiving running back in the league.

I'd be more in the Lamar Miller camp myself who IMO is a very good player just never got consistent opportunities in Miami. Either way, a pass catching RB is definitely a need, Miller's receptions have gone up every year he's been in the league. Averages 4.6 ypc for his career which isn't much better than Lacy but given the opportunities I think he could be a top 10 back in the NFL.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I posted this on November 16th: Jordy Nelson announces hold out! Jordy Nelson has announced he will be holding out at the beginning of next year for a new deal. “I know I’m under contract but who knew how critical I was to this offense and Aaron Rodgers? I thought I was somewhat underpaid but the offense has completely fallen apart without me and Aaron now looks like an average QB.” Nelson signed a five-year deal before last season and is scheduled to make $5.5 million next season. “Look, I want to be reasonable but apparently I am to Aaron Rodgers what long hair was to Samson. So I’ll accept a deal paying me $1 less per season than Aaron makes. It's only fair.”

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps you didn't realize who was posting? :) I'll believe Jordy is still Jordy when I see it.
True i should have noticed that. Hopefully the front office knows about nelson's rehab bc spending a high pick on a wr seems like a little bit of a waste if jordy is healthy. If jordy is healthy we are set with he cobb montgomery adams Abby and janis.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I'm not on the Scooby band wagon at all. But I'm all about a tweener in this draft. This guy seems extremely small though. 6'0" 220 pounds. I'm not sure how that will translate. However, I really like the potential of the Su'a Cravens kid.

Striker can play multiple positions and hes good at them. Hes fast, flies all over the field. Honestly, I think he'll be a Kam Chancellor type in the NFL. Hes not a bad player :) and Kam does play that LB/safety hybrid.

Striker has Patriot written all over him. I hope we draft him though. I think he'll be a good player. Hes also a leader. Hes one of those players who defies the odds at his position. He has a big heart.

Cheez31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to Finley hitting the free agent market, he wanted 13 million a year as a WR. How much do you think Ladarius Green will cost?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True i should have noticed that. Hopefully the front office knows about nelson's rehab bc spending a high pick on a wr seems like a little bit of a waste if jordy is healthy. If jordy is healthy we are set with he cobb montgomery adams Abby and janis.

Well, if Jordy is a given, I'll go along with Cobb's return to productivity, too.

Then, however, you have four guys with (Monty) one year of experience, six games played, 15 total receptions, (Abby) 1/10/6, (Janis) 2/16/4, and (Adams) 2/29/88. Adams comes pretty close to having enough background on which to base an opinion, but since he went from wunderkind the last half of last year to favorite whipping boy this year, one has to wonder if he's going to come bouncing back or turn into Boykin 2.0. In other words, I'm not placing my bets on any of those guys.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A stud LB or a stud TE in the first round. whatever is available. And then take the other in the 2nd. An OL in the 3rd if there is a decent one available. versatility would be a plus there. then maybe go DE in the 4th. in the 5th draft a depth WR or the punter. but I know some rounds we will probably have to play the board.

but what the **** do I know right

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts