To my shame

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In the two years the Packers had the best chance at another Superbowl (2011 and 2014) Rodgers played arguably the worst two playoff games of his career.

Rodgers's poor performance vs. the Giants and Seattle is often overlooked due to all the other errors in those games. If regular seasons Rodgers game to play in either of those games, the Packers likely win them.
There's no question that Rodgers could have played better, but to keep it in context, he did go up against one of the best defenses in the history of pro football on one leg on the road. Was up 12 points with just a few minutes remaining, and if not for a very unfortunate set of circumstances with special teams and defense, could have went to the Super Bowl. 22 points on an all time great defense is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention how McCarthy went conservative the entire 2nd half.

Not absolving Rodgers, just trying to provide context to that specific example.

And if we're keeping score, let's make a note that the defense and special teams have failed this team in the playoffs far more often than Rodgers.

You make very valid points, I just look at it from a different perspective. Take Rodgers off this team and it's a cellar dweller who doesn't even reach those playoff games.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know why I rate Belechick so high? Because with a second and third string quarterback, they started the season better than the Packers. Why? Because he gets every bit of effort and top level play out of his players.
I think you are forgetting game planning and making adjustments during the game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the team responded after he got popped in the endzone on his rushing TD tells me all I need to know about what guys on the team thinks of him.

Or, perhaps how folks react to an attack on (what is supposed to be) their meal ticket, or then general tendency to look for an outlet for pent-up emotion.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no question that Rodgers could have played better, but to keep it in context, he did go up against one of the best defenses in the history of pro football on one leg on the road. Was up 12 points with just a few minutes remaining, and if not for a very unfortunate set of circumstances with special teams and defense, could have went to the Super Bowl. 22 points on an all time great defense is nothing to sneeze at, not to mention how McCarthy went conservative the entire 2nd half.

Not absolving Rodgers, just trying to provide context to that specific example.

And if we're keeping score, let's make a note that the defense and special teams have failed this team in the playoffs far more often than Rodgers.

You make very valid points, I just look at it from a different perspective. Take Rodgers off this team and it's a cellar dweller who doesn't even reach those playoff games.

Not arguing that Rodgers is to blame for the playoff failures but let's not re-write the Seattle NFCCG loss. The defense forced Russell Wilson into his worst game as a pro and gave the offense four extra possessions with 4 interceptions. The only reason the game was in a place to be lost by special teams and defense is because the offense played poorly. I hate the excuse about seattle's defense being so good that the Packers shouldn't be expected to do anything against them. I mean, why is it ok to say the Seattle defense was good and that's why offense struggled when the Packers' offense in 2014 was the #1 offense in the NFL? The Packers in 2014 scored more points than any other team in the NFL and averaged more yards per play than any other team in the NFL. Yet, the offense gets a pass despite wasting four extra possessions.

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m sitting here watching the highlights of the Seaawks/Patriots game and it`s like watching a completely different sport, never mind different game.
What do these teams do so differently from the Packers to make them contenders each year ??
Even if both coaches don`t have a likeable personality, they get things done. Both teams prepared to spend money to get in top personnel to get the job done.
Last night was painful to watch. We looked as if we had no idea what we were doing, and our guys can`t be THAT poor can they ??
What have they (NE/Sea) done to be contenders each year? GB has made the playoffs 7 years in a row. How do you not consider GB a consistent contender? Nobody has won 2 SB during those 7 years. Therefore, I don't understand how GB isn't considered a contender each year in the recent past.

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

What have they (NE/Sea) done to be contenders each year? GB has made the playoffs 7 years in a row. How do you not consider GB a consistent contender? Nobody has won 2 SB during those 7 years. Therefore, I don't understand how GB isn't considered a contender each year in the recent past.

So you think we are serious contenders ???

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just 'making the playoffs ' doesn't make a team a serious contender. Sometimes you're just fodder to fill out the field.

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think we are serious contenders ???
Not at this point in time, but consistently over the past 7 years I would say YES. How many teams have made the playoffs the past 7 years and won a SB? I would guess not very many (maybe NE?). With that said, there's no reason to give up on this team. We're half way through the season and their 1 game back in the division. Everyone that makes the playoffs is a contender until thery're eliminated. They have some work to do to get into the playoffs, but I'm not counting them out, at all.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just 'making the playoffs ' doesn't make a team a serious contender. Sometimes you're just fodder to fill out the field.
I agree. Momentum is everything. It's all in how you make the playoffs. If you back in, you're chances aren't that great. But if you make it as a wild card having won 6 of 7 or so, could be dangerous.

Pro football is a lot different than say basketball. The best team in basketball almost always wins it all. Talent trumps everything in that sport. In football and baseball, sometimes it's all about getting hot at the right time.

The jury is still out on whether or not we can accomplish this, but I sure hope like hell that we do.

OP
OP
I

Not at this point in time, but consistently over the past 7 years I would say YES. How many teams have made the playoffs the past 7 years and won a SB? I would guess not very many (maybe NE?). With that said, there's no reason to give up on this team. We're half way through the season and their 1 game back in the division. Everyone that makes the playoffs is a contender until thery're eliminated. They have some work to do to get into the playoffs, but I'm not counting them out, at all.

Well Sir, I admire your optimism here, but watching us over the past few games, I seriously think Green Bay Chill could give us a game. I sincerely hope we turn it around :tup:

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Momentum is everything. It's all in how you make the playoffs. If you back in, you're chances aren't that great. But if you make it as a wild card having won 6 of 7 or so, could be dangerous.

Pro football is a lot different than say basketball. The best team in basketball almost always wins it all. Talent trumps everything in that sport. In football and baseball, sometimes it's all about getting hot at the right time.

The jury is still out on whether or not we can accomplish this, but I sure hope like hell that we do.
I agree entirely. That's why people shouldn't rule out GB yet. I know they haven't warranted much reason to believe in them, but if they do find a way string together a couple of wins, they will regain some confidence and swagger. In that case, who cares how many games you wont this year? Just make the playoffs

OP
OP
I

I agree entirely. That's why people shouldn't rule out GB yet. I know they haven't warranted much reason to believe in them, but if they do find a way string together a couple of wins, they will regain some confidence and swagger. In that case, who cares how many games you wont this year? Just make the playoffs

Well on that issue, unless they seriously get their act together, I think we would get very embarrassed in any playoffs, and I wouldn`t want to stomach that.

H

HardRightEdge

I`m sitting here watching the highlights of the Seaawks/Patriots game and it`s like watching a completely different sport, never mind different game.
What do these teams do so differently from the Packers to make them contenders each year ??
SEA and NE have similarities and differences.

One similarity is they are both active in free agency and are good at it.

The key difference is that NE is more a system team (like the Packers) whereas SEA is a play making team.

The game Chancellor played against NE is a case in point. (It occurred to me check NFC DPOW after writing that last sentence...yup, Chancellor.) We could call him the Chancellor of the O-chequer, a stretched pun (my wife is groaning) that I'm sure you get.

Seattle's D is built around the glue of Wagner and Thomas in the middle of the field, with the other guys swirling around them trying to make plays. They stick Chancellor in the box and just let him do his thing. The last time we saw something like that in GB was Woodson in 2010, and I suspect it was not planned so much as tolerated, in the vein of "no, no, no, yes!" I gotta say, Chandler's diving tackle from the backside at the goal line is a good a defensive play as you'll ever see.

NE, on the other has dispensed, with players like Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins. It's not that NE thinks they are not good players; Belichick just doesn't want to pay top dollar for free-lancing that doesn't quite square with the system.

NE has a TE/slot-centric system that is designed to exploit match-ups, mostly on the cheap compared to a WR/TE-centric system. If the best value propositions in market shift to WRs, though that's hard to envision, Belichick would switch the system back again.

SEA's offense, again, is more a big play affair, especially with Lynch's retirement. They look bad in one series with fits and starts, strike with big plays the next.

Another commonality is they don't like to invest a lot in the O-Line. It's a moneyball-type approach: in most seasons you could characterize their O-Lines as decent run blockers who won't appear very often on any Pro Football Focus list because their pass blocking is usually better than average, sometimes worse.

So, a playmaking team stays fresh with fresh playmakers. A system team stays fresh by adapting the system to the resources that present good bargains.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are forgetting game planning and making adjustments during the game.

I think that is part of getting the best out of your players... Preparation and putting them in the best position to succeed. But you are correct.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Belichick arguments are essentially saying "MM isn't as good as possibly the greatest coach of all time, therefore, he is doing a bad job."

No, MM is just doing a bad job, embarrassing at the very least.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, being optimistic is not an opinion...just saying

I stand corrected. You are entitled to your outlook for the Packers' 2016 season, even if you're wrong. :) Given that the classic example of optimism/pessimism is glass half empty/full, you can see how I feel that way. Really just saying that I don't see how, given the state of the team right now, optimism is an option - but, you're certainly entitled to it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record...it was not me that was optimistic. I have been optimistic all season but right now The Green Bay Packers are not a good football team. And the way they are playing it is tough for me to see them turning it around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts