To my shame

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m sitting here watching the highlights of the Seaawks/Patriots game and it`s like watching a completely different sport, never mind different game.
What do these teams do so differently from the Packers to make them contenders each year ??
Even if both coaches don`t have a likeable personality, they get things done. Both teams prepared to spend money to get in top personnel to get the job done.
Last night was painful to watch. We looked as if we had no idea what we were doing, and our guys can`t be THAT poor can they ??

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Agreed, Bill. It's amazing how different the best teams look now relative to our Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m sitting here watching the highlights of the Seaawks/Patriots game and it`s like watching a completely different sport, never mind different game.
What do these teams do so differently from the Packers to make them contenders each year ??
Even if both coaches don`t have a likeable personality, they get things done. Both teams prepared to spend money to get in top personnel to get the job done.
Last night was painful to watch. We looked as if we had no idea what we were doing, and our guys can`t be THAT poor can they ??
I'm not going to try and say the Packers are good, because they've been on a downward trend the past couple weeks. While I don't think their problems are as big as they appear, they obviously have a lot to work on. It's frustrating, it sucks, I often wonder "how" and "why" they are trending this way. If we've lost another linebacker and a couple offensive linemen for a while, i don't predict things to get any better either for us.

But it's not as if Seattle always looked as good as they did last night. Instead of losing guys, they're getting them back healthy and let's not forget the Patriots were shut out, at home, against the Bills. Every team has its moments. I know, I know, they were playing with a 3rd string QB but they looked like it too.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also amazing how frequently the Packers were among those best teams in recent years.

Every other team in the league (other than the Patriots) has had a bad year and missed the playoffs at least once in the last 7 years.

Maybe it isn't that MM and TT are doing a bad job right now. Maybe it's just the normal ups and downs of the NFL.

Or years of drafting at the end of the round has finally caught up to us like it does to every team. (Yes, I know the Patriots are the exception).

The forum seems to have created this standard that the Packers need to be a contender every single year and anything else is unacceptable. What the Packers have done over MMs and TTs run has been incredible compared to the rest of the league.

I know I'll strongly be disagreed with by some and others will say "We are wasting Rodgers' career by not winning more Super bowls." Remember though, Rodgers has played his part in many playoff losses too (2011 Giants, 2013 49ers, 2014 Seahawks).

Even during the Super Bowl run, he struggled in 2 of the 4 games. The best thing he did I'm the NFC Championship might have been tackling Urlacher to prevent a pick 6 after throwing it right to him.

Basically, I just think people should keep in mind what MM and TT have accomplished and not winning another title isn't just on them. One down season in 8 years is expected. It doesnt automatically mean they're doing a bad job and should be let go.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to try and say the Packers are good, because they've been on a downward trend the past couple weeks. While I don't think their problems are as big as they appear, they obviously have a lot to work on. It's frustrating, it sucks, I often wonder "how" and "why" they are trending this way. If we've lost another linebacker and a couple offensive linemen for a while, i don't predict things to get any better either for us.

But it's not as if Seattle always looked as good as they did last night. Instead of losing guys, they're getting them back healthy and let's not forget the Patriots were shut out, at home, against the Bills. Every team has its moments. I know, I know, they were playing with a 3rd string QB but they looked like it too.

But have either of those teams looked as lost as the Packers have since last October? More importantly, have they looked that lost while fielding a top-3 QB for the entire time?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also amazing how frequently the Packers were among those best teams in recent years.

Every other team in the league (other than the Patriots) has had a bad year and missed the playoffs at least once in the last 7 years.

Maybe it isn't that MM and TT are doing a bad job right now. Maybe it's just the normal ups and downs of the NFL.

Or years of drafting at the end of the round has finally caught up to us like it does to every team. (Yes, I know the Patriots are the exception).

The forum seems to have created this standard that the Packers need to be a contender every single year and anything else is unacceptable. What the Packers have done over MMs and TTs run has been incredible compared to the rest of the league.

I know I'll strongly be disagreed with by some and others will say "We are wasting Rodgers' career by not winning more Super bowls." Remember though, Rodgers has played his part in many playoff losses too (2011 Giants, 2013 49ers, 2014 Seahawks).

Even during the Super Bowl run, he struggled in 2 of the 4 games. The best thing he did I'm the NFC Championship might have been tackling Urlacher to prevent a pick 6 after throwing it right to him.

Basically, I just think people should keep in mind what MM and TT have accomplished and not winning another title isn't just on them. One down season in 8 years is expected. It doesnt automatically mean they're doing a bad job and should be let go.

How many of those other teams have had this kind of "down" period while having one of the best olines, a top-3 QB, good receivers and a decent defense (don't let yesterday fool you, the defense was good last year)?

I might also buy the "give them more time" line if McCarthy looked like he was willing to try anything new but at the first opportunity he goes right back to the same offense that has failed this team for over a year.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I do believe what you are saying is somewhat true, this isn't just a down year... A coach shouldn't be rated on 7 consecutive playoff appearances.

They should be rated on what they get out of the talent that they have on the roster. I know it's not an exact parallel but if Golden State doesn't make the finals this year. Some heads will roll. Even though they have been contender for years, if they stink with the talent on that team they will make changes. If they don't make the playoffs, they will likely blow the place up.

The Packers have arguably one of the best two passing quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. To say making the playoffs is a sign of achievement on a once in a lifetime talent is quite kind to me.

You know why I rate Belechick so high? Because with a second and third string quarterback, they started the season better than the Packers. Why? Because he gets every bit of effort and top level play out of his players. The Patriots are not more talented than the Packers, their defense is honestly worse. But their players are where they are suppose to be when they are suppose to be there. Not because they are more talented but because they are better coached.

To me it is a question of over-achieving vs under achieving, the Packers have under achieved for years. 38 percent of the league makes the playoffs... Being in the top third of the league consistently with a once in a lifetime quarterback is not an accomplishment. Winning 4-5 super bowls is his era is. The Packers had a chance of creating a dynasty with the talent Rodgers has. That window is likely closed with one last chance to get a title or two. If you are happy with that I think you are part of the minority that feels A-Rod deserves one title.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Rodgers has better overall playoff statistics than a guy who has played in 6 Super Bowls and won 4 over the past 17 seasons. That guy that everyone says is the greatest playoff quarterback, and perhaps even arguably the greatest/most accomplished quarterback in the history of football. That Tom Brady guy. Rodgers has the better passer rating, TD/INT ratio, yards per attempt, etc. Better numbers across the board in the playoffs.

Moral of the story, one QB has 22 playoff victories, the other has 7. So what does this lead me to do? Look at the rest of the team. Sorry defensive play, sorry special teams play, sorry coaching. Rodgers has had some bad moments, no doubt. Everyone does. But when you look at the issues as a whole, Rodgers gets no where near the blame of the other aspects of the team. The past 2 playoff losses, Rodgers leads the team down the field to tie the game and then doesn't get the football back as the games go to overtime.

Getting that out of the way, we are absolutely wasting Rodgers. Belichick coaches to the strengths of his team, and the realization that he doesn't have a 28-30 year old prime Brady anymore. You see a lot of motion, pick plays, quick slants, screen plays, etc that get receivers open. He's constantly moving guys around and getting the ball out of Brady's hands in less than 3 seconds. The offense that we run requires Rodgers to play to the ridiculous standard that he set for himself over the past several seasons. And as he gets older, that's just not feasible. And it's not smart.

Teams are starting to rough up our receivers at the line of scrimmage. They are playing nothing but man on us. When you have the Atlanta freakin' Falcons playing man on us, you know that we have been figured out. Yet McCarthy is too stubborn to realize this and make the necessary changes and adjustments. We shouldn't have to constantly beg for receivers to get separation. The offense needs some serious help schematically, and McCarthy has shown an inability to adjust to what teams are doing to us.

It's ridiculous. He did some good things in the 2nd half against Dallas, the 2nd half against the Bears, and the entire game for the Falcons. And they yielded some good results, and why on Earth he has resorted to the same old stale offense the past two weeks against the Colts and now the Titans is just completely beyond me.

He is a year and a half behind on making adjustments to what has been a pretty bad offense in that time frame. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well damnit do something different like every other elite coach in the NFL is more than capable of doing.

I hate to keep bringing up Belichick because he's one of the greatest ever, but they rarely ever utilize the same game plan every single week. Opposing teams KNOW what we are going to do. Predictability catches up to you, and McCarthy has failed to adjust to it.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers front office and coaching staff expect to compete for a Super Bowl every single season. Unfortunately the team has ended up short of it for five consecutive seasons and currently are in real danger of not making the playoffs this year. It's pretty obvious the Packers are headed in the wrong direction and therefore both Thompson and McCarthy deserve to be criticized.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Swap BB for MM and watch the how the records would reverse. BB is so much better the MM it makes me sick.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Swap BB for MM and watch the how the records would reverse. BB is so much better the MM it makes me sick.
Couldn't agree more. And it makes it all the more sickening knowing that Rodgers is the superior quarterback to Brady just based on pure arm talent and overall ability at the position.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. And it makes it all the more sickening knowing that Rodgers is the superior quarterback to Brady just based on pure arm talent and overall ability at the position.
So talented that he doesn't have any need to cheat.

Reaction score
The Packers front office and coaching staff expect to compete for a Super Bowl every single season. Unfortunately the team has ended up short of it for five consecutive seasons and currently are in real danger of not making the playoffs this year. It's pretty obvious the Packers are headed in the wrong direction and therefore both Thompson and McCarthy deserve to be criticized.
Yes. I think we all want to see Coach Mike turn it around but we are disjointed like this week we deserve to hold him to a higher standard. The Coach is the guy everyone turns to for answers. I'm really hoping we can just put together a pair of wins because it all starts there

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some thoughts on the responses I've received.

1) I'm not going to get into a deep argument about whether my post is for sure what is going on. I was offering it up as a possibility since outside of the Patriots, the NFL doesn't have teams be as good as the Packers have been for as long.

2) Rodgers may have solid playoff numbers, but it is a fact he hasn't played well in some playoff losses.

In the two years the Packers had the best chance at another Superbowl (2011 and 2014) Rodgers played arguably the worst two playoff games of his career.

Rodgers's poor performance vs. the Giants and Seattle is often overlooked due to all the other errors in those games. If regular seasons Rodgers game to play in either of those games, the Packers likely win them.

For a direct comparison to Brady, he was a lot better vs the Seattle defense in the Super Bowl two weeks later. Yes, Rodgers had an injured calf, but he was still excellent the week prior vs Dallas so he was capable of getting it done.

3) Nobody is trying to say at all that MM is Belichick, who MM is constantly being compared to.

By comparing MM to only Belichick and not the rest of the league, you're comparing him to the one giant exception, not the rule.

The Belichick arguments are essentially saying "MM isn't as good as possibly the greatest coach of all time, therefore, he is doing a bad job."

If him not being as good as Belichick makes you sick or that's the standard you expect, you will likely never be happy with MM or any coach the Packers have in the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

Some thoughts on the responses I've received.

1) I'm not going to get into a deep argument about whether my post is for sure what is going on. I was offering it up as a possibility since outside of the Patriots, the NFL doesn't have teams be as good as the Packers have been for as long.

2) Rodgers may have solid playoff numbers, but it is a fact he hasn't played well in some playoff losses.

In the two years the Packers had the best chance at another Superbowl (2011 and 2014) Rodgers played arguably the worst two playoff games of his career.

Rodgers's poor performance vs. the Giants and Seattle is often overlooked due to all the other errors in those games. If regular seasons Rodgers game to play in either of those games, the Packers likely win them.

For a direct comparison to Brady, he was a lot better vs the Seattle defense in the Super Bowl two weeks later. Yes, Rodgers had an injured calf, but he was still excellent the week prior vs Dallas so he was capable of getting it done.

3) Nobody is trying to say at all that MM is Belichick, who MM is constantly being compared to.

By comparing MM to only Belichick and not the rest of the league, you're comparing him to the one giant exception, not the rule.

The Belichick arguments are essentially saying "MM isn't as good as possibly the greatest coach of all time, therefore, he is doing a bad job."

If him not being as good as Belichick makes you sick or that's the standard you expect, you will likely never be happy with MM or any coach the Packers have in the future.

I don't think any reasonable Packers fan is suggesting that McCarthy hasn't done a good job coaching the team for most of his tenure in Green Bay. There's absolutely no doubt the Packers have been headed in the wrong direction over the last 21 games and MM seems to have absolutely no clue about how to get it back on track though. Therefore if the team continues to struggle for the rest of the season and ends up missing the playoffs McCarthy should be fired, even with all the success he has had in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Except one major fact:

Brady is a "born Leader" both on and off the field ... Very seldom have you seen Brady throw his team(mates) under the bus in public ... Brady leads by example ... unfortunately Aaron Rodgers not so much and you can tell when watching the Pack on the field ...

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except one major fact:

Brady is a "born Leader" both on and off the field ... Very seldom have you seen Brady throw his team(mates) under the bus in public ... Brady leads by example ... unfortunately Aaron Rodgers not so much and you can tell when watching the Pack on the field ...
Give it a rest. You have no idea what you're talking about.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Except one major fact:

If you're referring to post game pressers, he might say that other areas of the team needs improvement, but he also specifically states that it starts with him and that he himself needs to play better. He hasn't absolved himself. I don't watch enough of Brady's post game pressers to know what he talks about, but I can imagine he has said something to that effect on several different occasions.

If you're referring to conduct on the field and point guys out when they miss a route or something, I have seen Brady do that dozens of times. He is quick to point guys out, I've even seen him noticeably yell at his players before.

So I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about, unless you can provide some clarity.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Give it a rest. You have no idea what you're talking about.

... stop drinking the cool-aid and watch the games ? LOL

If you're referring to post game pressers, he might say that other areas of the team needs improvement, but he also specifically states that it starts with him and that he himself needs to play better. He hasn't absolved himself. I don't watch enough of Brady's post game pressers to know what he talks about, but I can imagine he has said something to that effect on several different occasions.

If you're referring to conduct on the field and point guys out when they miss a route or something, I have seen Brady do that dozens of times. He is quick to point guys out, I've even seen him noticeably yell at his players before.

So I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about, unless you can provide some clarity.

I would actually like to see some "fire" from Rodgers - I wouldn't mind seeing him yell at his team mates ..., however you can only do that when your team(mates) know you have their backs and if you "Walk the talk" ... It doesn't really seem like most of the team views Rodgers as such a Leader though ... wereas its clearly a different story in New England ...

This isn't something new though ... It is through hardships Real leadership is shown ... not when everything is fine ...

Maybe it is a new HC which is needed, however, Right now, despite all the injuries, this team is underachieving and seems to be lacking "fire" aswell as those onfield leaders like Woodson and similar ...

Rodgers could be a Leader, not a Great Leader, but a Leader nevertheless - he just needs to get his head turned straight ... and show it ...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
... stop drinking the cool-aid and watch the games ? LOL

I would actually like to see some "fire" from Rodgers - I wouldn't mind seeing him yell at his team mates ..., however you can only do that when your team(mates) know you have their backs and if you "Walk the talk" ... It doesn't really seem like most of the team views Rodgers as such a Leader though ... wereas its clearly a different story in New England ...

This isn't something new though ... It is through hardships Real leadership is shown ... not when everything is fine ...

Maybe it is a new HC which is needed, however, Right now, despite all the injuries, this team is underachieving and seems to be lacking "fire" aswell as those onfield leaders like Woodson and similar ...

Rodgers could be a Leader, not a Great Leader, but a Leader nevertheless - he just needs to get his head turned straight ... and show it ...
The way the team responded after he got popped in the endzone on his rushing TD tells me all I need to know about what guys on the team thinks of him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts